Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Swelter Discharge posted:

this guy is a freakig idiot why do teh iks let him post at all ...

look below, what do you see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Swelter Discharge posted:

this guy is a freakig idiot why do teh iks let him post at all ...

T.R.A!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Silver Striker posted:

halo is good, and fun.

if you're blind and retarded and the only game you've ever played up until that point is dark castle genesis edition

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
holy poo poo they actually paid to have Paul loving McCartney do the theme song what the gently caress were they thinking

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SeXReX posted:

holy poo poo they actually paid to have Paul loving McCartney do the theme song what the gently caress were they thinking

"if we pay him a lot of money, we get to meet paul mccartney"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

SeXReX posted:

and they fired the halo composer guy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lol. $1 billion budget

$500 million for marketing
$450 million for Paul McCartney
$49 million for the Kotick tithe
$1 million on actual development

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

95 on Metacritic posted:

I played 20 hours of the game over the course of a day-and-a-half and I want to play more right now. This game has its hooks in me fiercely. And that’s why my review’s score is a 9.5. However, I very much could see a player being turned off by having to repeat missions, by overly-long boss fights and the very specific storytelling techniques or the fact that everything feels ripped out of a pulpy sci-fi novel that thinks it’s important.

"I'm addicted to a game that I know has very real design and storytelling flaws, 9.5/10. See also: My 10/10 review for Candy Crush and cigarettes."

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Crown Face posted:

"I'm addicted to a game that I know has very real design and storytelling flaws, 9.5/10. See also: My 10/10 review for Candy Crush and cigarettes."

These kinds of reviews are the polar opposites of the ones that insist "fun" is not important to games. Yet often the two types of reviews are written by the same people.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crown Face posted:

To be fair, most of the other early reviews are more logical and it's sitting at 85 right now. I didn't think it'd be below 90 at any point since it's so hyped and reviewers seem terrified of giving ps4 games poor scores.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i think 85 is a good place for it to be. it's definitely a well made game, but at the same time it definitely has issues and bungie could have done a lot more with it. their initial ideas were much more science fantasy and i hope we see bungie getting more creative with the later destiny games

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that every review is like that, I'm actually pretty surprised with how long it's taking the major outlets to publish their reviews, but this one was just insane.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nui9lGbZZ2U
This is a very enlightening review

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

If you guys care, ive discovered a way to stop playing boring $60 shooters you control with tiny sticks at 20 frames per second.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

:vince:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
well ya see, Destiny is a good game because it costs 500 million dollars to make. How can something expensive be bad?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
its because Bungie are Insanely Cool

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

has bungie ever made a good game that isn't some subpar console FPS especially when compared to their master race PC counterpart

Dec 26, 2012

every game they made before halo

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
What I don't understand is how anyone can watch actual, non-scripted footage of the game and go "Hell yea this looks really cool and not like a boring grindy bulletsponge shooter at all."

I mean I had zero exposure to the game before it launched, saw that one video of he final boss and instinctively knew that it was poo poo (because I, as a member of the PC Master Race, have better Gaming Instincts).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ekster posted:

has bungie ever made a good game that isn't some subpar console FPS especially when compared to their master race PC counterpart

marathon was a substandard doom clone ya, but halo was p cool and is p much Generation <idk>'s Quake (esp. since id seems incapable of making a new one themselves)

also myth owned

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
here's a quote by Vegeta

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sir John Feelgood posted:

If you guys care, ive discovered a way to stop playing boring $60 shooters you control with tiny sticks at 20 frames per second.

All I see is office equipment, though?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

bad game is bad?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

All I see is office equipment, though?

what you see is the portal to the world of Own, friend

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

marathon was a substandard doom clone

This is how you can tell somebody is illiterate, FYI. Myth did own though.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/11/paul-mccartney-didnt-receive-a-check-for-his-destiny-work/
What the actual gently caress was all the money spent on, then? Cheetos for the devs?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mach2 posted:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/11/paul-mccartney-didnt-receive-a-check-for-his-destiny-work/
What the actual gently caress was all the money spent on, then? Cheetos for the devs?

Marketing and the game was in development forever.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Mach2 posted:

find a video of the credits and count the names

AAA games sometimes have credits that take longer than the game itself.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Real talk I've been playing Destiny and here is my review.

1) Game play is well executed but brings almost nothing new to the table. Entertaining but not exciting.
2) The story is poo poo garbage even by industry standards.
3) The game is clearly meant to be played with other people but even the most basic social features are virtually non-existent.

Bottom Line: Good for time wasting only, don't buy unless you have a lot of time and little money.

Well that's my review I hope you enjoyed it.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Do you ever fight anything larger than a car sized robot

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

I can't wait for Halo Reach Destiny. Bungie Bungie Game of the Year. Halo Bungie Xbox Halo 2. Shooter Gun Loot Xbox Halo Reach Destiny Social Media. Connect Kinect Social Microsoft Bungie Halo Bungie Assassin's Creed 3 Xbox Online Arcade Multiplayer App Store Gun Loot Upgrades Halo Xbox Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Halo Reach Destiny

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This game doesn't seem very fun. I wonder how many game of the year awards it'll get.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Wolfman Nards posted:

I can't wait for Halo Reach Destiny. Bungie Bungie Game of the Year. Halo Bungie Xbox Halo 2. Shooter Gun Loot Xbox Halo Reach Destiny Social Media. Connect Kinect Social Microsoft Bungie Halo Bungie Assassin's Creed 3 Xbox Online Arcade Multiplayer App Store Gun Loot Upgrades Halo Xbox Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Halo Reach Destiny Bungie Bungie Game of the Year. Halo Bungie Xbox Halo 2. Shooter Gun Loot Xbox Halo Reach Destiny Social Media. Connect Kinect Social Microsoft Bungie Halo Bungie Assassin's Creed 3 Xbox Online Arcade Multiplayer App Store Gun Loot Upgrades Halo Xbox Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Halo Reach Destiny

100 years Bungie and Bungie and Halo 100 years dot com

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

This game doesn't seem very fun. I wonder how many game of the year awards it'll get.

i dont think AAA games get too many of those awards anymore, gaming journalism is more about those "indie" games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
you will play this game elaine, it is your density

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

what you see is the portal to the world of Own, friend

Pretty sure it's office equipment designed to help cubicle drones be more productive that has been jury-rigged to play games.

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Do you ever fight anything larger than a car sized robot

Yes. Yes you do. Surprise! It's a bullet sponge.

The magic in this game happens long, long after you get bored and stop playing. It's like the current version of Diablo 3 with a slightly less ridiculous story. It was made with MMO "gamers" in mind, with a lot of concessions to FPS players.

This game has a lot of potential it's not quite living up to at the moment. Knowing Bungie, they won't just drop the game and run, so I am fairly optimistic for the long run.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's like the current version of Diablo 3 with a slightly less ridiculous story.

The Diablo 3 story is way less offensive if only because Bungie has their head way up their rear end on this one and thinks that obviously every one is gonna LOVE this great, rich narrative they've cooked up so we better force them to watch it.

Destiny has lengthy, un-skippable cinematic sequences filled with the worst dialogue to ever waste Peter Dinklage's time. These sequences will play again and remain un-skippable even if you're repeating a mission you've already completed, on the same difficulty, on the same character.

WHAT THE gently caress.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

honestly, i would liken destiny to an infamous game. with the setting they had the perfect chance to be extremely creative and do something new and refreshing, but instead they chose to do just normal video game stuff. they're both well made games, but destiny really would have benefited from taking more chances and being more creative. unskippable cutscenes are also extremely dumb, and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Silver Striker posted:

honestly, i would liken destiny to an infamous game. with the setting they had the perfect chance to be extremely creative and do something new and refreshing, but instead they chose to do just normal video game stuff. they're both well made games, but destiny really would have benefited from taking more chances and being more creative. unskippable cutscenes are also extremely dumb, and bad.

AFAIK Destiny doesn't have a grappling hook so the comparison's a little off

• Locked thread