Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

says an actual retard

"oh no I cant acquire targets .01 seconds faster so this overrides everything else :cry:"

stfu

I'm sorry you prefer controlling games like a baby who doesn't have motor control but it doesn't make your fisher-price shooters any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
you peasants just don't understand what a good game is

quote:

Worried about Destiny's longevity or level cap? You don't understand Destiny
David Houghton on September 16, 2014

There are two games called Destiny around at the moment. Both of them are by Bungie. Both of them released last week. One of them is a soaring, confoundingly large, dizzyingly ambitious, and seamlessly realised MMOFPS. Refined yet intricate in its systems, immensely, endlessly gratifying in its combat, it’s truly exciting in its long-term scope. The other is a short FPSRPG with a tiny level-cap, that you’ll finish in a day.

But only the first of these games really exists. The other is a hallucination, fabricated via a jabbering combination of under-researched misinformation, knee-jerk reactions, and standard-issue internet cynicism. It’s a hallucination that an unfortunate proportion of the gaming populace seems to have bought into over the last week, propelled seemingly in part by an unfortunate proportion of early (far too early) online impressions of the game.

Now you’ll notice that GamesRadar still doesn’t have a scored review of Destiny up yet, over a week since the game launched (though you can read my ongoing review diary here). There’s a very good reason for that. It’s still too soon. It’s too soon to appraise Destiny’s full potential as the evolving, long-term prospect it was conceived as. It’s too soon to properly appraise Destiny’s current content. It’s still too soon to have even played its current content. Those early verdicts from writer and gamer alike, erroneously shrieking about its low level cap, basic systems and short story? They came from people who hadn’t comprehended Destiny, not really. They came from confoundedly wrong perspectives of a game not understood, viewed as something it is not, and judged by criteria irrelevant to its nature.

Because to judge Destiny’s story as short--and it really isn’t--is to surmise a game’s quality based on the experience you had playing through its tutorial. To appraise Destiny’s content as lacking is to determine a house to be small, having viewed its interior only through the keyhole of the front door. And to state that Destiny’s level cap is too low, and its scope for achievement and progress stunted, is to flat-out state that you haven’t bloody played the thing and should really shut up right about now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There were reviewers complaining about the low level cap? Low level caps are awesome. It's why the first Guild Wars was so goddamn cool. I mean, isn't it increasingly the case in online games that they don't really start until you hit level cap? Why would you want to delay that?

(that said, even if a game is going to grow and evolve over time, it's still kind of lovely to release something that's blatantly incomplete and basically that gamesradar writer is saying we should all be happy that we bought what amounts to Early Access for Destiny without knowing it)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
its funny because even if destiny had way more content it's still be just a bland shooter that tries to be diablo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm sorry you prefer controlling games like a baby who doesn't have motor control but it doesn't make your fisher-price shooters any good

what a weird thing to base your gaming identity around but ok I'm just gonna keep having fun with games!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I unironically believe anyone who thinks shooters can't be good on consoles because of miniscule differences in aiming must be at least partly autistic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RottenK posted:

its funny because even if destiny had way more content it's still be just a bland shooter that tries to be diablo

No, it isn't. It's a bland shooter that tries to be Phantasy Star Online. Borderlands is the one that tries to be Diablo.

Jeez. It's like you don't even know your instanced online action-RPGs or something.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

I unironically believe anyone who thinks shooters can't be good on consoles because of miniscule differences in aiming must be at least partly autistic

Miniscule.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

PantsBandit posted:

I unironically believe you might be retarded if you think the difference is miniscule

Dec 26, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

I unironically believe you might be retarded if you think the difference is miniscule

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

PantsBandit posted:

*switches weapons via a wheel like a big gay baby* Man, this literal poo poo is delicious!

at least if your piddly console shooter lets you hold more than two weapons at a time

e: lol quoted a totally different person. Sorry Protag!

Schnedwob fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 17, 2014

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://www.dorkly.com/post/68380/destiny-the-official-dorkly-review

hm. i think destiyn is a game i want to play, judging by this review

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Schnedwob posted:

at least if your piddly console shooter lets you hold more than two weapons at a time

lol if you don't key select the right weapon at the right time for the job at hand

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Protagonist posted:

lol if you don't key select the right weapon at the right time for the job at hand

Chivalry forced me to start doing this because the wheel is mapped to attacks.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it is pretty funny when a developer is mad on behalf of another developer's review score. Like the outrage is that a 6 score even exists

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

stoutfish posted:

once you reach level twenty you grind for 40 hours to get a complete set of legendary gear

lol

if you say that it's dumb in the games thread you get called a welfare baby who 'wants everything handed to them on a silver platter'.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You might think Destiny is a dull shooter with limited repetitive content. But it's actually really deep and beautiful. Don't ask me why.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Silver Striker posted:

ODST was the best halo game.

A true and correct opinion if I ever did see one. I want an ODST 2 with Republic Commando's squad command.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
ODST was definitely peak Halo. Between the noir-rear end soundtrack and how gorgeous New Mombasa was, even just wandering was really enjoyable

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like how Bungie is trying to use the classic "Oh it gets good about this many hours into the game" argument. That begs the question, "Why wasn't it good from the start, you dumb gently caress?"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I like how Bungie is trying to use the classic "Oh it gets good about this many hours into the game" argument. That begs the question, "Why wasn't it good from the start, you dumb gently caress?"

You have to crawl through the mud before you can truly appreciate the greatness of walking on a sidewalk that was laid 30 years ago and has had a few tree roots grow through it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

seriously most MMOs are more exciting to level in than destiny is

also the dungeons have more interesting fights than "KILL WAVES!" and "BULLET SPONGE BOSS WITH 40 WAVES OF ADDS"

I'm kinda having fun with destiny but I just did a strike that was a huge loving ordeal and I didn't get poo poo for upgrades so I think I'm going to take a break from it because gently caress that

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

chumbler posted:

You have to crawl through the mud before you can truly appreciate the greatness of walking on a sidewalk that was laid 30 years ago and has had a few tree roots grow through it.

"let me hit you in the dick for an hour, and you might get a sweaty, unsatisfying high five" wow what an enriching experience, thanks Bungie

Dec 26, 2012

Schnedwob posted:

"let me hit you in the dick for an hour, and you might get a sweaty, unsatisfying high five"

seems reasonable. i will dedicate a thousand hours to this

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
bungie said they were gonna turn this into a 10 year franchise right? off to a great start, good work Bungie

Dec 26, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

bungie said they were gonna turn this into a 10 year franchise right? off to a great start, good work Bungie

it gets good 5 years into the franchise

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

CharlestonJew posted:

bungie said they were gonna turn this into a 10 year franchise right?

They already did- 10 year olds are the only folks gullible enough to buy it!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

destiny will define a generation of gamers deal with it.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

destiny will define a generation of gamers deal with it.

Aside from Doom, what generation-defining games haven't been poo poo?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Who knows, maybe it'll go all Assassin's Creed on us.

First game shows promise but is incomplete and repetitive. Second game realizes the promise of the first one but takes steps away from what some people loved about the first, but remains a beloved game and a high point of the series. Series turns into a yearly franchise that plummets into remarkable shittiness, saved only by an installment whose only good parts had nothing to do with the groundwork laid in the first game anymore. And now an upcoming game that will "get back to the series's roots" or something.

Point is what I'm saying is "Destiny 2" (whether that's a big MMO-style expansion or a true sequel) will probably own and then it'll start sucking harder with each one after that.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I like how they simply 'decide' to make this some huge franchise instead of, you know, making a game then testing whether people actually like it before deciding to make sequels.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Ekster posted:

I like how they simply 'decide' to make this some huge franchise instead of, you know, making a game then testing whether people actually like it before deciding to make sequels.

you don't let the people acclaim your game as a classic franchise, you decide it is and then market it as such. this is how winners win. without this philosophy would we have aiden pearce's iconic cap?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

"always book your next job before anyone sees the one you're working on now" -bungie

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Dany O'Dwyer from Gamespot guested on Giant Bomb's Hatoful Boyfriend quicklook and laughed his rear end off at the fact that they (Gamespot) purposely gave Hatoful Boyfriend a better score than Destiny.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

I mean I can see that argument for like a 4x game or XCOM or something where investing in a full campaign is an exponentially more rewarding experience than just playing for a random hour. But for the developer of an action game to be like "Trust me this generic gameplay is actually really great once you spend 100 hours grinding for stronger guns" is pretty lol.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Its very strange that some of the worst parts of MMOs are being touted as the greatest parts of Destiny and everyone who doesn't get why they should think its amazing is dumb. Grinding for gear with higher numbers just so you can do a new dungeon that requires higher numbers to beat isn't cool gameplay. Just make the dungeon fun and challenging to begin with that gets easier as your skill with the game improves rather than it only being fun if your numbers are high enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SarutosZero posted:

Its very strange that some of the worst parts of MMOs are being touted as the greatest parts of Destiny and everyone who doesn't get why they should think its amazing is dumb. Grinding for gear with higher numbers just so you can do a new dungeon that requires higher numbers to beat isn't cool gameplay. Just make the dungeon fun and challenging to begin with that gets easier as your skill with the game improves rather than it only being fun if your numbers are high enough.

What's weird is that they actually have some pretty loving cool ideas in their raid. Why isn't there anything like that anywhere else in the game?

Also, the exotic items are pretty good. They often change just enough about how that weapon type/your character abilities work that they feel special and which exotics to use becomes an interesting choice. So good work on those, Bungie! You successfully made MMO gear that isn't just about higher numbers. Most MMO developers still can't pull that off, so that really is something special. There are guns I want to get because of how they handle or armor pieces I want that change how, say, my grenades or my super ability behave. Cool!

But then there's the Light system. Then you go ahead and implement that stupid thing. I thought it was a neat idea at first--max level is 20, but you can get above that level by equipping gear with the Light stat on it--but in practice it's pretty much just item level. Even worse, because of the way levels work in Destiny, it's an extremely rigid content gate. Bungie knew that skilled players could probably beat content five or more levels higher than their character, regardless of the stats on their gear, and to prevent that, they made level (and therefore Light level) super loving important. If you're one level lower than an NPC target, you do 30% less damage. Two levels lower, 40% less. Three levels, 50% less. Four levels or more? Can't even scratch them. So it's pretty loving obvious that they don't want you fighting enemies that are a higher level than you, like, at all, ever.

But then they make it so you can go ahead and queue for strikes (dungeons) that are a higher level than you. And you can be matched with people who are the appropriate level for that strike and basically contribute no damage because your arbitrary level stat is too low. This ended up worsening the perception that bosses are dumb bullet sponges because players made the (very reasonable) assumption that if they're allowed into a strike they can probably complete it, and had no idea that the reason the bosses were taking twice as long to die as they should is because they were doing almost half damage. (Oh, yeah. The game doesn't tell you about the level-difference damage penalty.)

I stick by my claims that Destiny has the foundation of a potentially really goddamn awesome game, but boy, oh, boy does it have a long way to go to get there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

But then they make it so you can go ahead and queue for strikes (dungeons) that are a higher level than you. And you can be matched with people who are the appropriate level for that strike and basically contribute no damage because your arbitrary level stat is too low. This ended up worsening the perception that bosses are dumb bullet sponges because players made the (very reasonable) assumption that if they're allowed into a strike they can probably complete it, and had no idea that the reason the bosses were taking twice as long to die as they should is because they were doing almost half damage. (Oh, yeah. The game doesn't tell you about the level-difference damage penalty.)

I was going to get this game if it ever came to PC, but now I don't think I will, holy poo poo. Why do people always take the worst thing of a genre when they try to mix them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

I was going to get this game if it ever came to PC, but now I don't think I will, holy poo poo. Why do people always take the worst thing of a genre when they try to mix them?

I mean, if it helps, by the time it comes to PC there will likely have been a shitload of patches, balance changes, content releases, and hopefully a reevaluation of how levels work because it's really dumb. I wouldn't rule it out now, given that a PC release is still a good long way away and you'll have plenty of time to see if it's turned into something you want by the time it comes out there.

I don't even know why I like playing it, though. The shooting feels nice. I like most of the guns and I think they actually did a pretty good job designing varied and desirable weapons and armor (Light notwisthstanding). But goddamn did they make some loving dumb decisions along the way. I'm rooting for the game to pull a Diablo III over the next year or so and reverse some of the stupider things that, thankfully, pretty much everyone seems to agree are stupid.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread