Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Generic American posted:

Oh, and the addition of confessionals. Way to break new ground there, Utopia.

But are you ready for the bloodletting to begin!

Between commercials they showed the choices for next week. I wonder if no one gives a flying f at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Best part was Mike yelling at the bee keeper dude who then brings up how Mike was talking about dating supermodels.

Mike: "How do you know that?"
Bee keeper dude: "You're on TV!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

sleepingbuddha posted:

Best part was Mike yelling at the bee keeper dude who then brings up how Mike was talking about dating supermodels.

My favorite part is when the lawyer complains about the guy thinking up arguments in advance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sleepingbuddha posted:

Ha!

Not watching anymore but the weird case of people who are on tv still having to interact with people but having no idea how they're coming off and constantly forgetting this fact is actually kind of funny.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I highly recommend Rob Has A Podcast's review of the Halloween Utopia episode.

It's really just Rob and his guest goofing on the show for an hour, it's great.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 2, 2014

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
So would this show have done better if they brought in extremely competent people to make a functioning society the way it was sold?

I feel you use the competent people to get the place up and running, and then let the crazies bleed in over the life of the show to ruin everything. Kind of like a fall of Rome thing.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Starsfan posted:

So would this show have done better if they brought in extremely competent people to make a functioning society the way it was sold?
I never thought this show had a snowball's chance in Hell from the jump. I'm shocked it made it to Halloween. The ratings are septic and the powers that be are in full desperation mode to save this turd. Now people will be leaving weekly like a certain Summer reality show with a Chenbot as a host. Utopia is turning into Paradise Hotel/Garden Of Eden. That is to say, it's turning into every other reality show in existence.

Better casting "might" have helped the day-to-day lifestyle of the compound but not even stellar casting could jazz enough of a viewing public to spend their valuable time watching it unfold over a friggin year.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Robnoxious posted:

I highly recommend Rob Has A Podcast's review of the Halloween Utopia episode.

It's really just Rob and his guest goofing on the show for an hour, it's great.

Oh goodness the comments on this.

quote:

The vote-off for Rob was totally different than depicted on the TV show. First, they voted individually, with their reasons, and the vote was 6-5 to vote off Aaron. Then there was a discussion between everyone, then there was a hand vote, resulting in a 6-5 to vote off Rob, with Josh changing from his original vote.
As a feeds watcher, like a sports team, half of the time Rob and Mike were a cancer to the locker room.
There was a lot that happened that couldn't be shown on TV, such as, Josh in the bushes with 2 women from the Halloween party getting a BJ.
Concerning Cal's letter, Cal was telling Nikki that the letter was written in code. But, I'm not sure he knows what the code is.
Jake had originally submitted a business plan with the pioneers, but his bees are still contracted out to pollinate some lemon trees.

Uhhhhhg, gross gross gross. At this point it seems like they could just change the name of the place to Sextopia and make a lot more money.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Well, apparently they've cancelled it, effective immediately. :(

Not a huge surprise, but still, disappointing. :(

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Damnit, i wanted to see Cal convince some dude to let him be blown by Cal.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
They should just not tell the participants and then cut off the water and electricity and lock the gates. Change the name of the show to Anarchy. I'd watch that.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
I have a few friends who were working on this show and it's a shame to see this thing die the way it did. Working eight months out of the year is a pretty good year in production terms, but people thought they would be on for a year-plus on this, only to get three months, at most. And the format itself sounded pretty neat, skewing away from hackneyed confessionals and BIG PRIZE MONEY for something a little more experimental.

But, it seemed to fall into the same trappings as other reality shows of its kind and the viewers weren't there. Not to mention really odd production choices, like the fedora--wearing host or that odd hologram in the first episode.

Actually, there should have been more holograms. That's what they needed.

Perhaps we can all hold out hope for a Glass House revival.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
RIP Bad show that I faithfully watched for some reason.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Not at all surprising. They messed up the format (who wants to see them give tours for a living and get free money) and the TV edit was always too confusing and fake looking to win the TV-only audience.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

They could have at least left the feeds on while they told them the show was canceled.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

This is hilarious. In Holland they even extended the thing for another year. I guess this means American have better taste?

Seems to me the biggest error they made is not broadcasting it daily as they did in Holland not mention throwing in too many wackjobs.

Well, at least John the Mol can eat another decade.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
This show really showed everyone what reality tv contestants see as their utopia: Getting money for doing essentially nothing but being on TV and getting laid every night by reality tv groupies.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Pushing Daisies getting cancelled was disappointing.
Hell, even Pirate Master and Kid Nation getting axed could bend toward expressing emotive disappointment.

Utopia getting shitcanned is unworthy of the time it takes to feel emotions.

We must never look back and always push forward because you and I and all of us are part of our own special Utopia...

Let's make a brand new start.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Dienes posted:

They could have at least left the feeds on while they told them the show was canceled.

Or just not tell them at all, just let them find out from the foreman when the bulldozers come through.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Darth TNT posted:

This is hilarious. In Holland they even extended the thing for another year. I guess this means American have better taste?

It's also that the audience for these shows in America tend to have more easily outraged people than most countries I think.

They literally had to completely blur out a deer being cleaned after Red hunted it on the feeds. It's like people want every show to be Disney channel fare in Murica.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
Well, it was lovely from the start and lived a horrible short life.

Utopia, your festering corpse will not be missed.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I would love to read an account of what went down when they were all told it was over. That would be a small gem on the top of the poo poo dramafeat the show became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

I would love to read an account of what went down when they were all told it was over. That would be a small gem on the top of the poo poo dramafeat the show became.

Rob Has A Podcast is maybe putting together a Utopia Funeral. He may get some of the UTs on unless they all signed gag orders (which I'm betting they probably did).

• Locked thread