Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Zdarsky was on War Rocket Ajax and talked about it a bit and seemed to think Gerber was a bit wary of using the two of them together because of the potential for weird sexual tones
What? That's loving bonkers. Howard and Beverly were clearly a couple and it was weird and that was part of the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

(1) Aping anyone is absolutely in opposition to what Steve Gerber was trying to say and do.
(2) Howard the Duck, as written by Gerber (and Skrenes), was Gerber.
(3) To write good Howard, then, is to ape Gerber.
(4) Howard belongs to Marvel and has been used in stories after Gerber's death.
(5) Those stories, arguably, did not hew to the spirit of Gerber's Howard.
(6) With Gerber dead and Howard's narrative DNA murky, it seems a new author can pick and choose with regards to Howard's attributes and personality, etc.
(7) So it might be better, given that Howard was such a product of (a) Steve Gerber and (b) the times in which he was written for an author to pick and choose rather than make an attempt to ape which is doomed to failure.

I haven't read the new series yet. The Spider-Man panels I've seen out of context remind me of the early internet kids who thought it was extremely clever and unheard of and hilarious to say LIKE WHAT IF BERT AND ERNIE WERE LIKE, hosed UP AND CRAZY, WHAT THEN.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Steve Gerber, the character's creator, was the best. Track down every issue he ever wrote. Then go read his Man-Thing.

Second second second second second. Gerber's Man-Thing is so, so good. You'll really need to read his early stuff to appreciate the posthumously-published Infernal Man-Thing, which is loving EXCELLENT.

This is as good a place as any to profess my love for Plok's "Seven Soldiers of Steve" project from a few years ago.

Oh, and I guess I gotta post on-topic: Howard #3 was pretty good. Zdarsky gets Howard's context but his Howard's voice ain't right. Howard was more Barney Miller than Arrested Development, if that makes sense.

• Locked thread