Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Steve Gerber is an incredible Bronze Age voice. Howard, Omega the Unknown, and Man-Thing were all chock-full of rage, strife, struggle, and frustration with the way it all is, but were always accompanied with this hilarious tone that felt like the only thing preserving the guy's sanity. Howard was my first exposure after, interestingly enough, his final work, the Doctor Fate story from Countdown which is quite good, and early on it became very clear that he had a view of the world that was living in a different time but thought of the world similar to the way I did. It was in the first or second issue that this little nugget shows up:

"There can be profound meaning in life without heroics. The universe isn't a melodrama, but a vast panorama of banal humanity. Man's soul may leap to the heights of fantasy, but its true value is down here in the mud, where the real trouble is." --Turnip Man

I think it puts his superhero work in focus rather nicely. He just couldn't help but be cynical about it all, but it's also clear he cared a lot about what he was discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread