Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Eyebrows. Eyebrows since the dawn of Time!

( Last week: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659405 )

On with the show. Your writers are Phil Ford (The Waters of Mars, DW The Adventure Games, Wizards vs Aliens) and GMS. The line producer was Nikki Wilson, and the director was Ben Wheatley. Into the Dalek will be the 243rd Doctor Who story ever told, and the 802nd individual episode.

Timeslot is 7:30pm in the Queen's Own Summer Time Zone, on BBC One. At this time, all suspicious Johnny Foreigner types must vacate the thread immediately (if not quicker) until watching the episode, or risk being foully and irretrievably spoiled!

Speaking of spoilers, if you feel the need to satisfy any weird and unnatural urges to discuss what might be about to happen next before it's been aired, there is a no-holds barred spoiler thread where you can pretend that you aren't all sad, broken people who hate fun and mystery.

And it seems like a quick restatement of the First Law of Doctor Who Fans is a necessary thing to have here, so. The First Law of Doctor Who fans says: "No substantive discussion group shall be entirely able to agree on the merits of any given story, not even the 'except X, that just plain sucked/rocked' corollary to this law." Please bear this in mind before bemoaning THE THREAD HIVEMIND CONSENSUS. (Wouldn't that make a great episode title? Or at least a great Big Bang Theory episode title?)

:siren: RATINGS GO HERE, IF YOU DON'T CARE, SCROLL RIGHT DOWN :siren:

Full explanation of what all this means is in the Deep Breath thread. TL;DR, it's all good news.

code:
Deep Breath

Overnights: 6.8 million, a 32.5% share.  AI of 82.  1st for Saturday.
Timeslot: Won, vs some awful poo poo on ITV that nobody watched
Final rating: PENDING

USA! USA! USA!: 2.6 million, the highest rating ever for a premiere on BBC America, 
the most-watched cable show of its timeslot
Canuckistan: 1.4 million on Space, the highest-rated show on the channel so far this year
Convictland: 1.187 million on the ABC, the highest-rated drama of the day.
:siren:

AND FINALLY, this week in Doctor Who history:

29th August 1964: The Tyrant of France, episode 4 of The Reign of Terror, by Dennis Spooner, with William Hartnell, William Russell, Carole Ann Ford and Jacqueline Hill. The episode no longer exists in the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You fucker, you closed the old one seconds before I posted a long reply and now it's lost, ARE YOU HAPPY

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do we really need weekly threads?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well seeing as last one got to 33 pages, maybe we do need weekly threads.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PriorMarcus posted:

What is a week, really? Is this not a show about time travel?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You fucker, you closed the old one seconds before I posted a long reply and now it's lost, ARE YOU HAPPY

Well, I could see that you were doing your post up a bit.

I didn't like it.

PriorMarcus posted:

The mods specifically requested them a few years ago. IIRC we've been doing them all through Matt Smith's time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another new episode? Already? We don't have to wait 6 months?

Cliff Racer posted:

Well seeing as last one got to 33 pages, maybe we do need weekly threads.

But threads can be hundreds of pages, 33 is nothing. Still if that's what the mods want.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Anyway short version: Whoever it was that picked out Peri, Jack and SJS as people "abandoned" by the Doctor picked out 3 terrible examples. Peri he was trying to save when he was dragged away by the time lords, Jack was already dead and SJS was dropped off safely in GB.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Very keen to see how this one goes now that post-regeneration wackiness is out of the way.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished version, as the first episode didn't really do much to justify Ben Wheatley as a director. This one should be better, certainly more inventively shot and edited, and it feels a good bit more cinematic than your average Saturday night TV.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

quote:

USA! USA! USA!: 2.6 million, the highest rating ever for a premiere on BBC America,
the most-watched cable show of its timeslot

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea this show was so popular in the States.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Autonomous Monster posted:

We actually have five times your population, so 2.6 million viewers isn't as significant as it is on your tiny island nation.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 30, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

We actually have five times your population, so 2 million viewers isn't as big as it would be on the tiny island nation of Great Britain.

Of this I am aware, but I was expecting it to be super-super-cult. "most-watched in timeslot" sounds pretty serious, unless it's airing at four in the morning.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Irish Joe posted:

We actually have five times your population, so 2.6 million viewers isn't as significant as it is on your tiny island nation.

It's pretty good for a small channel like BBC America though, right?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"The most-watched cable show" is kind of like when Red Dwarf X was on Dave; it's doing great numbers for the kind of channel it is, but it can't compete with the big guns no matter how good it is. It's still possible for it to be a major event, though; it's just definitely a niche cult, even if it's a really big niche. The yin to Downton Abbey's yang, in the same way that PBS in the 70s was built around Tom Baker and Hyacinth Bucket.

Well, except Red Dwarf X was mostly sad and embarrassing (apparently they're going to make even more of it, the poor sods), but that's neither here nor there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Hyacinth Bucket.

It's pronounced "Copper", actually :v:

(Also although it feels like the most 70s sitcom in the world, Keeping Up Appearances is actually from the 90s)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

Well, except Red Dwarf X was mostly sad and embarrassing (apparently they're going to make even more of it, the poor sods), but that's neither here nor there.

Red Dwarf was my favourite show as a kid. :smith:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SO this is the episode where the Doctor learns Dalek KungFu right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Someone think of a competition and I'll send the winner an AMAZING PRIZE

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Quoting from the last thread:

Jerusalem posted:

A Doctor Who actor who used to be pretty you say?

:swoon:

Patrick Troughton used to be John Hamm?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Actually no I won't I'll have to think of another way to get rid of my old VHS

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Actually no I won't I'll have to think of another way to get rid of my old VHS

The dumpster behind Wendy's?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Irish Joe posted:

The dumpster behind Wendy's?

Speaking of that, how is your search for love going?

Tonight's episode should be interesting. Definitely keen to see how "this" version of Clara reacts to the Daleks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CobiWann posted:

Speaking of that, how is your search for love going?

My what?

edit: :doh: goddamn I'm thick

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can't wait to see the completed sfx for a certain climactic scene involving Twelve toward the end. Hoping it's trippy as balls.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

(Also although it feels like the most 70s sitcom in the world, Keeping Up Appearances is actually from the 90s)

Speaking of BBC sitcoms from the 1970s, after last week's episode my dad was telling me how when he was a kid he would have liked John Le Mesurier to play the Doctor (even though he would've been really similar to Pertwee) and it got me thinking, who better than Capaldi to play Frazer in the forthcoming Dad's Army remake movie?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of BBC sitcoms from the 1970s, after last week's episode my dad was telling me how when he was a kid he would have liked John Le Mesurier to play the Doctor (even though he would've been really similar to Pertwee) and it got me thinking, who better than Capaldi to play Frazer in the forthcoming Dad's Army remake movie?

Graham Crowden!

Oh.

:smith:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Just because it wasn't in the this thread yet.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Trin Tragula posted:

PBS in the 70s was built around Tom Baker and Hyacinth Bucket

DW didn't really take off on most US PBS stations until the mid-1980s and (as previously mentioned) "Keeping Up Appearances" started in the early 1990s. So, no. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Graham Crowden!

Oh.

:smith:

Hitler's dreaaaams of conquesssst

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Please don't do this poo poo. I haven't watched those leaked work prints for a reason and you're getting pretty close to spoilers.

Karki fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 30, 2014

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

Not cool dude.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Of this I am aware, but I was expecting it to be super-super-cult. "most-watched in timeslot" sounds pretty serious, unless it's airing at four in the morning.

It airs about 9 at night on a Saturday, which is not exactly a time when a lot of people are watching TV. But that's still really good. That's better than what some NBC shows pull in on an average night.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Karki posted:

Please don't do this poo poo. I haven't watched those leaked work prints for a reason and you're getting pretty close to spoilers.

Fooma posted:

Not cool dude.

Oh no, there's a climactic scene involving Capaldi and special effects!? Guess there's no point in watching the episode now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

thexerox123 posted:

Oh no, there's a climactic scene involving Capaldi and special effects!? Guess there's no point in watching the episode now.

Yeah, I'd like to see people guess, in spoilers, what happens that he could be referring too and see if anyone gets close.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

It's impolite you fuckwit

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's impolite you fuckwit

I'm usually pretty uptight about spoilers (and I haven't seen the workprints), but that post was about as vague as you can get.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

The mods specifically requested them a few years ago. IIRC we've been doing them all through Matt Smith's time.

TBF I'm pretty sure it was The Mod Who Must Not Be Named who asked for it, and apart from his many other failings he was a whiny whiner about stuff like this. They might not be as necessary now.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I actually like episode threads because there is less to slog through when there is more content to discuss if you want to go back and read something (as opposed to the dark times of in between season threads), and Trin's weekly OP breakdown of the story so far and the ratings is always a joy.

I say we keep it the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I actually like episode threads because there is less to slog through when there is more content to discuss if you want to go back and read something (as opposed to the dark times of in between season threads), and the weekly OP breakdown of the story so far and the ratings is always a joy.

I say we keep it the way it is.

So it's decided, we go back to a megathread

• Locked thread