Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's not related to this episode, but I've been working my way through the old episodes lately, watching stuff I haven't seen in thirty years again, and I had to share this (probably unoriginal) insight with someone. Dodo was the Poochie of companions. I know ratings slumped during her tenure so I'm assuming the mid-60's audiences agreed with me. I don't remember disliking her this much when I was a kid, though.

At least I'm up to the War Machines so she'll be gone soon. Unfortunately I'm entering the bad lands of missing episodes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bad lands of missing episode, good lands of awesome episodes

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bad lands of missing episode, good lands of awesome episodes

I cheated and skipped ahead to watch Enemy of the World and Web of Fear when they went up for streaming. They were awesome. I'm disappointed that Hulu doesn't offer any of the reconstructed episodes other than the one piece of Web of Fear; I want to check out The Tenth Planet and Invasion. :(

Also, why couldn't they have destroyed The Dominators and kept... well, pretty much anything else.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's worth getting the DVDs of those

It's not worth getting the DVD of The Ice Warriors to be perfectly honest; the missing episodes are incredibly boring and kill the flow of the story. It's much better with the 15 minute recon recap in their place.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's worth getting the DVDs of those

It's not worth getting the DVD of The Ice Warriors to be perfectly honest; the missing episodes are incredibly boring and kill the flow of the story. It's much better with the 15 minute recon recap in their place.

I remember liking the second Ice Warriors story as a kid, but that's one of the complete stories that the Hulu archive skips over for some reason. They also skip over all of Trial of a Timelord so the gaps aren't all bad. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Seeds of Death is excellent

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Seeds of Death is excellent

I can never keep The Seeds of Death and The Seeds of Doom straight.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I can never keep The Seeds of Death and The Seeds of Doom straight.

The Seeds of Death has the seeds that kill people, the Seeds of Doom dooms them duh

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Individual threads are great for people with archives who want to see past reactions to things, and it doesn't cost us anything to do them, so I don't understand this argument.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I still don't see why people dislike Dodo so much while liking someone like, say, Vicki who, despite having watched all of her serials, I can't remember doing anything at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LividLiquid posted:

Individual threads are great for people with archives who want to see past reactions to things, and it doesn't cost us anything to do them, so I don't understand this argument.

That'd be more useful if not for the fact that to-be-archived threads and posts from the past few months have been prone to just kinda falling into oblivion.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I still don't see why people dislike Dodo so much while liking someone like, say, Vicki who, despite having watched all of her serials, I can't remember doing anything at all.

She's pretty good in some stories (eg Time Meddler), more than Dodo

LividLiquid posted:

We talk about more than just the episode at hand, new threads tends to kill discussions dead half the time

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cliff Racer posted:

Vicki was quirky, impetuous and irreverent (at least, when the script allowed her to be anything other than generic Girl In Distress). She had bags of personality compared to her predecessor and successor.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Baring in mind that I'm still reaching Vicki to refresh my memory (she was generic early female companion in Enemy of the World and Web of Fear, and Enemy of the World had two much more interesting women in the cast who I kind of wished would have gotten picked up as companions instead), Vicki had the benefit of being given a personality beyond "hip youngster that the kids will like". Dodo was such blatant pandering that she annoyed me constantly. Oddly enough, I don't think she was that bad in The Gunfighters but that story had its own set of problems. (Edit: Aw hell, I got my early companions mixed up. Oh well.)

I don't have any problem with Leela though she was equally pandering (though to a different demographic :v: ) probably because she was a more fun character.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 30, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Barry Foster posted:

Vicki was quirky, impetuous and irreverent (at least, when the script allowed her to be anything other than generic Girl In Distress). She had bags of personality compared to her predecessor and successor.

I felt Vicki was a highlight of the Space Museum, she had far more balls than those subjugated aliens and did a good job of getting their rebellion properly organised.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Vicki was basically Susan 2.0 only the writers actually gave her things to do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Baring in mind that I'm still reaching Vicki to refresh my memory (she was generic early female companion in Enemy of the World and Web of Fear, and Enemy of the World had two much more interesting women in the cast who I kind of wished would have gotten picked up as companions instead)

Vicki isn't Victoria

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No more of this Cass bullshit for THIS Doctor!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Well. I'm liking this one a lot already.

e: Wait, no Clara this time?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Nice little nod to the Fantastic Voyage in there.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Why is this episode trying to split itself between two times/people? No show is helped by this.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If this is introducing a new companion, I already like this guy more than Clara.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
rear end in a top hat kid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like this guy

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For the record, Glasgow is not that bad!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

it's worse

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is a very promising start.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Oh my god the name is literal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"That wasn't a metaphor."

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Wow, Fantastic Voyaging a messed-up Dalek. I am tentatively impressed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
You can really feel their CGI budget this episode.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This Clara best Clara, she's psychic and thinks the Doctor is a hobby.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Imagine the worst thing in the universe and then don't bother because this is it."

I love this new Doctor.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
He was dead already I was saving us...

Massive love for this doctor.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Heh, the "people soup" is green. Nice touch.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
"Top layer if you want to say a few words." - Legendary.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

"Yeah, top layer if you want to say a few words."

Gotta love Capaldi.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Everything this Doctor says is pure gold. Capaldi is just the best...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:catstare:

That. Is actually a pretty cool spin on "resistance is futile".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is this technically Dalek Nihilism? Is this Dalek Nietzsche?

• Locked thread