Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I actually really miss I Am the Doctor playing whenever Eleven came up with his clever idea of the week.

When Capaldi regenerated, I figured that music would be his new theme. No such luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Missy grabbing the soldier girl is one of those Moffat-y season arc hints that comes from his occasional desire to play fair with the audience, like the jacket in the Angels two-parter and such. It's SO similar in how it's shot to the earlier scene of Journey being saved by the Doctor that you're clearly meant to notice the parallel. That plus Missy's earlier comments about liking the Doctor's accent and 'keeping' it, as if she can change fundamental things about herself at will, makes it pretty clear she's a Time Lady of some description. I still think the Master is too obvious for it to not be the gimmick, but I'd be shocked if she's not grabbing the near-dead in her TARDIS at least.

Which would be kind of a first, actually. The Master didn't actually have his own TARDIS in the RTD era, and even in The Doctor's Wife, Eleven only half-cobbles together a working console. Many of the revival's fans have never considered there being another working one. This is Moffat's Time Meddler reveal.

Other than that, episode owned. Loved Twelve begging the Dalek to see more in him than just hate. "There must be more than that..." :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Potooweet posted:

It's a distinction without difference.

They mean completely different senses of "good" - moral versus qualitative/competence - and that distinction "hidden" in a continuity reference is brilliant.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

I noticed the same thing, it seems for these early episodes at least they've decided to write the Doctor as physically active as the most recent "young" Doctors and just film around it. Capaldi is still very spry and they can easily play up his physical agility without having to have him handstand-surfing a horse galloping underneath a Sontaran battleship.

Capaldi is amazing, and I hope they write towards his strengths more as it goes on rather than trying to film around his 'weaknesses'.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm not even sure I buy into the "weaknesses" thing, really. A healthy 56-year-old-man in 2014 is a far cry from a 55-year-old former boxer with arteriosclerosis in 1963 in terms of physical capability.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not even sure I buy into the "weaknesses" thing, really. A healthy 56-year-old-man in 2014 is a far cry from a 55-year-old former boxer with arteriosclerosis in 1963 in terms of physical capability.

Well I'd say it's why he wrote it in quotation marks. It's not a weakness, but it's certainly not a strength and it is silly to include sections that play up that aspect of the character when there are so many excellent strengths he does have that should be getting focused on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'd say it's why he wrote it in quotation marks. It's not a weakness, but it's certainly not a strength and it is silly to include sections that play up that aspect of the character when there are so many excellent strengths he does have that should be getting focused on.

Look, J-Ru, I love ya, man, but if you don't want to see Capaldi in a cape judo-fighting a Cyberman on top of a gasworks while HAVOC The Next Generation get blown up under them, I just don't know where I stand.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not really a weakness, but they are showing less of the Doctor being physical on screen. My comparison wasn't against Hartnell but rather Tennant and Smith. The scripts are still writing in action for a younger actor, but the show is having to film around it. My point is just that it would be nice if they start writing action for Capaldi.

For example, in the leaked script, the Doctor is climbing with everyone else, in the episode though he's already reached the top.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Rusty and Handles the early years spin off

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

PriorMarcus posted:

It was better than the script, I'll give it that. I thought the reuse of antibodies was a little blatant but whatever.

It's a shame we didn't see some past Doctors in the mind meld scene.

Also, and this isn't really a complaint, just an observation: has anyone noticed that Capaldi Doctor isn't as physically active as Tennant and Smith? They avoid showing him running or climbing for obvious reasons. I don't mind, Capaldi is amazing, but it is kind of noticeable how some of the action directing is having to work around him.

There's active and then there's clown active. Tenant and Smith danced around like clowns far too much which made it hard to take anything they did seriously (even in "serious" episodes which are the few I tried to watch).

Capaldi's doctor seems more like the eccentric grandfather kind that I think a lot of the old series had.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Pertwee was 51 when he started Kung-fu'ing Daleks, so don't ever imagine Capaldi won't end up doing the same thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kin posted:

There's active and then there's clown active. Tenant and Smith danced around like clowns far too much which made it hard to take anything they did seriously (even in "serious" episodes which are the few I tried to watch).

Capaldi's doctor seems more like the eccentric grandfather kind that I think a lot of the old series had.

I mean specifically in action scenes, where they don't show Capaldi running or jumping, etc. I'm very happy to have a calmer, more still Doctor in general.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Waiting for the episode to air here, but did they change this exchange in the actual ep?

quote:

THE DOCTOR
Hello. I'm the Doctor.

JOURNEY
He was right beside me, where's Kai?? How did I get here?

THE DOCTOR
I materialised a time capsule exactly round you and saved your life one second before your ship exploded, but do please keep crying.

JOURNEY
My brother just died!!

THE DOCTOR
His sister didn't, you're very welcome. Put the gun down.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Waiting for the episode to air here, but did they change this exchange in the actual ep?

Nope, it's in. Word for word, I think.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nope! It was intact, in fact they didn't change anything from the script.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Nope, it's in. Word for word, I think.

Excellent. I was worried they'd tone it down. :unsmigghh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Excellent. I was worried they'd tone it down. :unsmigghh:

One thing I did notice is that while they didn't change the dialogue at its a lot less evident with Capaldi's emphasis how desperately the script was trying to justify the lovely Asylum ending.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Second episode was bad voice. OK, yes, at the end we have "good" as a qualitative thing, but the rest of the time they're throwing around eyerolling moral absolutes like it's going out of season.

ewe2 posted:

It's like they let an adult write the script for a change.

I totally disagree. The whole middle section, especially Clara's sudden ill-defined revelation to the Doctor about what they've learned, was full of the most childish black-and-white tosh which I can't believe could come out of the mouth of anyone over twelve. GOOD EVIL GOOD EVIL EVIL EVIL GOOD EVIL GOOD GOOD EVIL. There was a surprising amount of potential to the episode, exploring wonder and anger and nuture and nature, and if they didn't fumble all of it (the ending helped a little here because it managed to remember a tiny bit of nuance), so much was appallingly wasted. It also hurt badly that there was so little time for the Doctor, Clara, or the audience to reflect on the events and introduce some complexity and complication, because we apparently have to rush on to the vague soldier metaplot without a stop for breath.

A "good" old-fashioned thumbs down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Even though I still hate with a passion the "path-web" concept introduced so casually as a given thing in Asylum of the Daleks, I appreciated that in this episode some effort at least went into explaining how it works without turning the Daleks into robots. Clara didn't so much delete the information on the Doctor as she suppressed the memories of all the Daleks involving him and made sure any relevant information on him in actual secondary computer databases was removed.

It's still really goddamn stupid as a concept (we can presume all the Daleks who learned about him at Trenzalore in Time of the Doctor were killed and didn't upload anything to their "servers"?) but at least I find it somewhat more palatable now.

Of course thinking too deeply about these things is how you end up getting people writing novels explaining why the scrapyard sign was spelled wrong in Remembrance of the Daleks, so I tend to just try and ignore it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gravastars posted:

A Dalek episode turned good? What are the odds!

THAT WAS NOT A GOOD EP-I-SODE.

YOU ARE A GOOD EP-I-SODE.

*drops mic, moonwalk-rolls out of scene*

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Expected greatness from Capaldi, was not disappointed. He is shaping up to be the best Doctor since Tom Baker IMO, hope he sticks around as long.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

So, this was drawn back when the script for this episode leaked, so Journey Blue doesn't look like Journey Blue at all, but...

Not sure who drew it, but they did another one for next episode.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So since the army girl sacrificed herself for the Doctor, she ends up in paradise with Missy. I'm guessing half-face jumped on his own.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So since the army girl sacrificed herself for the Doctor, she ends up in paradise with Missy. I'm guessing half-face jumped on his own.

Missy says herself to Half-Face Man that she doesn't know for certain whether he jumped or was pushed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

monkey posted:

Expected greatness from Capaldi, was not disappointed. He is shaping up to be the best Doctor since Tom Baker IMO, hope he sticks around as long.

I was thinking about this earlier. He obviously loves the role, and he doesn't have to worry about being typecast or damaging his career by keeping it too long like the younger actors might. Assuming he doesn't get the boot, he might stick around until he keels over.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I still think I prefer The Invisible Enemy. I just can't get past what a fundamentally silly idea it is to shrink someone down all tiny and then put them inside a normal thing. At least that one knew it was a silly idea.

And then by being more serious it invites me to care about things like e.g. what the gently caress happened to all that radiation that was driving their Geiger counters off the scale?

quote:

A dose of under 100 rad will typically produce no immediate symptoms other than blood changes. 100 to 200 rad delivered to the entire body in less than a day may cause acute radiation syndrome, (ARS) but is usually not fatal. Doses of 200 to 1,000 rad delivered in a few hours will cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range. Whole body doses of more than 1,000 rad are almost invariably fatal.[2]

And that's for a normal-sized human. For crying out loud, they didn't even have any anti-radiation gloves!

(shocked reactions)

(pin drops)

(crickets chirp)

(clock ticks)

...Drugs.

But yeah, if you're going to be all serious and po-faced about a story and act like you're making serious points about anything, you need to have this kind of poo poo shipshape and Bristol fashion. Genesis understood that much, at least.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 31, 2014

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
How long have these Dalek saucers been around? The one with the bumps all over them. I know the Daleks have had flying saucers since forever, but was this particular design a new series thing? The only time I can recall Dalek ships appearing in the old series is Dalek Invasion of Earth. I think there might have been one in Remembrance, too, but I can't recall.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That scene where the Doctor's sealing the crack in the power cells made me laugh. Oh, hey, look- it's a bloody great crack spewing radiation all over the room- I'll stick my head right over that, get a good dose going, yeah?

But by that point the episode had me so enthralled that I just didn't give a gently caress. Suspension of disbelief is a wonderful thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rochallor posted:

How long have these Dalek saucers been around? The one with the bumps all over them. I know the Daleks have had flying saucers since forever, but was this particular design a new series thing? The only time I can recall Dalek ships appearing in the old series is Dalek Invasion of Earth. I think there might have been one in Remembrance, too, but I can't recall.

The Dalek ship in Remembrance was a big setpiece but I'm 99% sure it didn't have Dalek Bumps on it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care that much about the radiation detail, I still call bullshit on the Doctor being so shocked by a moral Dalek (and then shocked that it does what moral Daleks ALWAYS loving do) but I will say on the radiation note that that's one thing the original Dalek serial got extraordinarily right.

They were barely on the planet a few hours but due to how loving toxic the whole of Skaro was, they were all pretty much dying. They didn't often get their science right back in the day, but they tried bless 'em.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

In Bad Wolf and The Parting of the Ways we are first introduced to the revivals new Dalek Saucer design.

In The Stolen Earth we first see a larger ship design that docks with the ones seen in Bad Wolf. This is the first revival saurcer to include the bumps on its main dish rather than just at the center. This episode also introduced Dalek fighter craft but they are literally just the Bad Wolf saucer design shrunk down.

In Victory of the Daleks that smaller ship had been redesigned slightly. It's a little flatter and has a ray gun at the bottom of it instead of guns on its sides.

Then in the 50th the larger ships has been redesigned to what we saw in this episode: lots of guns, armour plating rather than a smooth surface, and the larger open docking bay on two sides.

The 50th also introduced the new Dalek fighter ships that I've been dying to get a closer look at.

The original series Dalek Saucers didn't have bumps on them.

Interestingly the loving massive ship in this episode, that dwarfs the Aristotle is the same type that Eleven destroyed with his Dragon Ball regeneration.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 31, 2014

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Rochallor posted:

The current design has been around since the start of the new series, but it's based on the design used in the TV21 Dalek comics from the 60's:

Davros' ship and the Dalek shuttle in Remembrance of the Daleks weren't disc shaped at all:

And the ships in Invasion of Earth were slightly less sophisticated than the modern ships...

Although in a bit of a coincidence, when the Restoration Team released The Dalek Invasion of Earth on DVD - before the new series started - they added in optional CGI effects that replaced the old ship with one also inspired from the TV21 design:

Which now gives a nice bit of continuity between the old and new series.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I liked the episode quite a bit. It is very reminiscent of "Dalek", but I really like "Dalek". Also, this darker Doctor is really working for me!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I liked the episode quite a bit. It is very reminiscent of "Dalek", but I really like "Dalek". Also, this darker Doctor is really working for me!

I mean, there are large swathes of Rob Shearman throughout the script, which is a big part of why it succeeds.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, there are large swathes of Rob Shearman throughout the script, which is a big part of why it succeeds.

Not to mention it has Tyres O'Flaherty!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Not to mention it has Tyres O'Flaherty!

Yeah, it's weird seeing Michael Smiley in such a straight role.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh, hey, look- it's a bloody great crack spewing radiation all over the room- I'll stick my head right over that, get a good dose going, yeah?
There are a bunch of episodes where the Doctor is immune/resistant to specific types of radiation. Iirc, the Tardis was used to clear radiation (amongst other things) in the classic episodes, so that can be handwaved for unshielded Clara as well.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Spindle posted:

There are a bunch of episodes where the Doctor is immune/resistant to specific types of radiation. Iirc, the Tardis was used to clear radiation (amongst other things) in the classic episodes, so that can be handwaved for unshielded Clara as well.

We've also established that anti-radiation medicine exists, so if the soldiers don't have any already, the Doctor could just pop into the TARDIS and get some from somewhere.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe they had anti-radiation gloves at the ready!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

Maybe they had anti-radiation gloves at the ready!

Why would we need them?

Unless you want me to get... the memory worm :heysexy:

• Locked thread