Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If the ever encounter Rusty again, I hope he still has that poo poo hanging from dome. "Seriously? Can someone pull this off me. This sucker doesn't bend that way."

Also, was it just a coincidence, or is there going to be a link between Journey BLUE and Danny PINK?

(Maybe a rainbow connection?)

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

CBBC wanted their Doctor Who spin-off to be exactly that, and RTD just laughed and "No. You're not going to see that. Here's Sarah Jane instead."

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

Also, was it just a coincidence, or is there going to be a link between Journey BLUE and Danny PINK?

Journey BLUE + Missy RED = Danny PINK

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irish Joe posted:

Every river begins life as a pond.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rewatching the episode now, and these blackboards in the TARDIS have caught my eye. The Doctor was doing Mathsy-Wathsy stuff when he woke up in the Paternoster house, too. At the time, I figured he was just trying to figure out the dinosaur stuff, but maybe he's working on something long term? :tinfoil:

Or it's just Twelve's schtick, I don't know.

PriorMarcus posted:

Every river begins life as a pond.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

please never remind me of that again

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Rewatching the episode now, and these blackboards in the TARDIS have caught my eye. The Doctor was doing Mathsy-Wathsy stuff when he woke up in the Paternoster house, too. At the time, I figured he was just trying to figure out the dinosaur stuff, but maybe he's working on something long term? :tinfoil:

Or it's just Twelve's schtick, I don't know.

Maybe he's still working on how to save Gallifrey from Day of the Doctor.

e:
I want to love Engines of War but it's kind of difficult.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The Doctor steps back, hands on his hips, and sighs.

"Looks like I need to go save Adric from the Cybermen."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Now we might finally know if he was right!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

As annoying as Adric was that last line worked imo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

You mean killing Torvic and burning the body, then making a deal with New Adventures Death to let the Master take the heat for it? :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

After I saw this I was kind of conflicted but leaning toward dissatisfied, but the more I think about it, the more I find to like.

Things I didn't like:

The weird time skips and jump cuts in the first third or so didn't really do it any favors (exception: the scenes of Danny berating himself for what he should have said interwoven with the scenes where he's turning Clara down for a date were pretty drat charming) and I'm glad they went away after a while.

The heavy-handedness. Not just HEY EVERYONE THIS GUY IS AN EX-SOLDIER AND HE FEELS GUILTY ABOUT SOMETHING in those initial scenes with Danny Pink but they could have toned the morality-play aspect of it all down by about 30% and had a more effective episode without actually losing the moral dimension. Because there's such a lot going on beneath the surface of GOOD DALEK NO WAIT BAD DALEK NO WAIT that deserved to have a bit more of a spotlight.

Right now the compelling question for me about Missy isn't "who is she" but "why should I care". And I want to care.

Things I liked:

Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman. Everything about their performances.

The general theme being developed so far seems to be one of the Doctor realizing (continuing to realize, since it's certainly been a present theme for quite a long time) that maybe he isn't quite the heroic figure he wants to be, and how can he go about fixing that? If the show continues to do this idea justice as it has these past two weeks, I think we're on track for something really special.

The stuff beneath the surface I hinted at above. The idea of a Dalek seeing the ways in which life goes on even in the face of ultimate destruction as a superior conquering force, even more powerful than Dalek hatred is such a uniquely wonderful perspective for a Dalek. Because that's the argument the Doctor has been making to them his entire life. And I loved the ramifications of a Dalek listening to that being something that horrifies him.

We're two for two episodes of...I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say here, so bear with me...a moral perspective being presented by a major character that isn't so much incorrect as it was incomplete, and a feeling that the show knows this even if the characters don't. Last week it was Vastra insisting that Clara should stick by the Doctor for all the wrong reasons, and this week it's the Doctor recoiling with horror and guilt from the Dalek looking inside him and finding only the BEAUTY OF PURE DESTRUCTION. Because, of course, that's not all there is to the Doctor, we know that and he knows that, but of course that's all that a Dalek, even one on the verge of enlightenment, is going to see. And the Doctor is in a unique position to be blind to that because he had so much trust, as ever, in his ability to Make Things Better.

And what I think the Doctor's missing is that this doesn't have to be the end of Rusty's moral formation, that if he can make this leap, even if it's just to KILL THE DALEKS from KILL EVERYONE BUT THE DALEKS, he can make other leaps too. And likewise, if the Doctor isn't a good man today because, in part, of his utter hatred for the Daleks (which, to be fair, is pretty justifiable as hatred goes), he can still be a good man tomorrow.

For all the heavy-handedness, there's some really subtle stuff going on here too, as there was in Deep Breath. I will admit to wondering if it's so subtle that Moffat doesn't even know he's writing/co-writing it, but either way, it's a welcome development and I can't wait to see more.

I'm holding out hope that next week we're getting The Crimson Horror But With Robin Hood.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

docbeard posted:

The weird time skips and jump cuts in the first third or so didn't really do it any favors (exception: the scenes of Danny berating himself for what he should have said interwoven with the scenes where he's turning Clara down for a date were pretty drat charming) and I'm glad they went away after a while.

I really liked how the jumps were used in this episode, and I think it really works in getting a lot of information across to the audience quickly. So much stuff has to be said in any given episode that sometimes it's overwhelming, and ignoring linear continuity is a good way to do that. I really liked it in the Danny scene, and there was a similar thing cutting back and forth before they all get to the spaceship.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Metal Loaf posted:

You mean killing Torvic and burning the body, then making a deal with New Adventures Death to let the Master take the heat for it? :v:

Get out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The cuts put me in mind of Man of Steel- a film I liked a lot, though I know it is... divisive. That felt like something that had a lot of story to tell and no time to gently caress around with chronological hand-holding.

Here they were... jarring, I suppose. Or unexpected, at least; I had to take a second to adjust to the style. I don't think it hurt the episode any... once I had a handle on it. I guess I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

Now we might finally know if he was right!

*Twelve shows up in the TARDIS moments before the explosion*

"You weren't."

*leaves without him*

The cuts put me in mind of Man of Steel- a film I liked a lot, though I know it is... divisive. That felt like something that had a lot of story to tell and no time to gently caress around with chronological hand-holding.

This is going to cause a huge derail, and I know it, but I'm physically incapable of stopping myself.

Man of Steel ripped off Miracleman for its entire third act, all the way down to breaking Zod's neck to finish it. I swear I'm the only person on the planet who noticed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Man of Steel ripped off Miracleman for its entire third act, all the way down to breaking Zod's neck to finish it. I swear I'm the only person on the planet who noticed.

I have no idea what that is, and am perfectly okay with continuing in ignorant bliss for the rest of my life. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I have no idea what that is, and am perfectly okay with continuing in ignorant bliss for the rest of my life. :colbert:

It's a UK superhero comic written by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman, "Ignorant bliss" isn't the term I'd use!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hrrm. I usually avoid cape comics, but that is a creative team to make me stop and reconsider.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Holy poo poo that was about a trillion times better than deep breath

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hrrm. I usually avoid cape comics, but that is a creative team to make me stop and reconsider.

It's uh, not exactly a cape comic.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Ludicro posted:

This.

The 2005 dalek redesign basically kept the same overall shape and features as the classic ones, but were much more rugged and tougher looking. In fact in one of the documentaries on the DVDs they mention how RTD basically gave the designers a free hand to take whatever features from dalek designs throughout the decades that they wanted, his only stipulation was that it was copper and bronze and looked like it had been machined and manufactured.

The only thing I wish they would do is dump the colour scheme for a different one, I think the RTD daleks look bloody fantastic in classic colours.

That does looks really good. Honestly, I would agree, use that design, if not for the Daleks proper, then for something like the Supreme Dalek. Or make it Rusty's color scheme.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Chokes McGee posted:

I'd kind of stopped paying attention by that point because it had gotten boring v:v:v

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Don't they have the black or red Dalek props anymore?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was a good episode which I enjoyed. Though it had a few problems, like the Doctor's insulting of Clara for no reason, and the incredibly hamfisted Danny Pink scenes. I laughed when they had him cry as he was asked about killing people. gently caress's sake.

But how good is it to see future soldiers with actual proper future laser guns instead of stupid modern bullet guns? It is very good.

Also poor Dolorous Edd.

Shugojin posted:

I'd kind of stopped paying attention by that point because it had gotten boring v:v:v

Superman? Boring? :monocle:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

But how good is it to see future soldiers with actual proper future laser guns instead of stupid modern bullet guns? It is very good.

This would've been better if it wasn't the cheapest, most blatant reuse of toy guns I've seen in ages.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

It's a "cape comic" in the same way that "Apocalypse Now" is an ensemble comedy piece (i.e. not at all).

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Irish Joe posted:

Give a couple more, and we've got Reservoir Dogs.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
The scenes with Mr. Pink got me right in the gut, not for being good scenes but because at one point I was the rear end in a top hat teenager asking thoughtless questions of a vet teacher. :smith:

The rest of the episode made me really excited for the new season though, if this is the direction they're going.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Paxman posted:

Once upon a time it was common for the Doctor to have a young male companion who could be a bit of an action man while he concentrated on the clever dialogue and being mysterious, and I'm more than happy if we're moving back in that direction now we have an older Doctor again. I bet they squeeze a pretty girl into the story as well though.

The thought does occur that maybe the Doctor/Rory/Amy team would have been better suited to accompanying this Doctor than the last one...

(Who wants chips?)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Trin Tragula posted:

The thought does occur that maybe the Doctor/Rory/Amy team would have been better suited to accompanying this Doctor than the last one...

(Who wants chips?)

A Doctor/Doctor/Rory/Amy team then? Interesting!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, man. If there's a crossover ep with Capaldi, Smith, and Tennant, it's going to be bonkers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Probably because it didn't. The plotting doesn't match, the character's reactions don't match, the themes don't match, and the climax doesn't match. The only thing they share is large scale destruction and a cause of death. I wouldn't count the first since every big action film these days has that kind of violence and I wouldn't count the second because the circumstances are completely different.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really liked this episode. There was a lot of dumb things, like the entire premise of being shrunk down, being inserted into the Dalek's eyestalk, Danny's shotgunned characterization in the beginning, the Dalek not being restrained/having it's weapons removed made the soldiers look like even more idiots, Journey not being able to come "because she's a soldier."

That last one especially. Clara should've given him a second slap for that. And with the speculation that Danny is going to become a companion makes this seem even more ridiculous in retrospect. I guess he's going to be okay because he cries? Whaaaaaatever. Maybe it'll be okay and done in an acceptable fashion, but I'm not optimistic. If Clara is leaving and the Doctor has a sole male companion for any stretch I'll be happy with that. Rusty can come along too. And Dalek Clara. Why have two Dalek companions when you can have TWO! They can hang out with Paul McGann and his best buddy Davros.

I thought it was interesting that Gretchen was the one to end up in the Garden. From the first episode I thought paradise was going to be more gathering the Doctor's opponents.

I wasn't sold on "You are a good Dalek," it felt too much like they wanted a soundbyte like all the "Am I good man Clara" stuff. It certainly wasn't as well constructed as when Eccleston was told that "You would make a good Dalek."

On the plus side, I loved Capaldi's scenes up near the Dalek's eye. His body language and everything. And the infinite sadness as the Dalek sees so much hatred in him. Clara being the one who cares and the teacher is great. I hope they keep these aspects of her character. Though there's something about the Doctor leaving the companion to live a normal life and then popping in for an adventure that I don't particularly care for. It worked when the Doctor did it with Rory and Amy because they had already built a friendship and there was an underlying story of the Doctor unable to leave them alone and let them live their life. In this case it feels more so that Clara can have her own personal subplots apart from the Doctor.

I hope that if he is coming along, that Danny joins sooner than later and that they drop that aspect. The episodes are short enough as it is.

PriorMarcus posted:

Will we get to see the Doctor kill a bully and leave the Master to take the blame?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, man. If there's a crossover ep with Capaldi, Smith, and Tennant, it's going to be bonkers.

Or McCoy.

The Two Scotstors.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or McCoy.

The Two Scotstors.

Capaldi. Tennant. McCoy.

You know, in support of Scottish independence :getin:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

(Maybe a rainbow connection?)

If we're lucky, than maybe someday we'll find it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shugojin posted:

Capaldi. Tennant. McCoy.

You know, in support of Scottish independence :getin:

Ten spoke in Estuary, he doesn't count.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jet Jaguar posted:

I thought this was a better effort than the last episode, though my wife wasn't terribly fond of it.

The interior defense mechanisms didn't really make much sense. How many miniaturized people crawl around inside Daleks on a routine basis that they needed to create antibodies and a goo pool to deal with the refuse?

If by miniature people you mean ants and space roaches I bet it happens all the time, or would if not for those little balls. Humans aren't the Daleks' only enemies you know and it only makes sense to have an internal defense system.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Am I the only one who would love to see a Mcgann/Capaldi episode?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ten spoke in Estuary, he doesn't count.

Wait... There are people who dont think that Tennant did a lovely job of an english accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vintimus Prime posted:

Am I the only one who would love to see a Mcgann/Capaldi episode?

I don't think you'll find many people that wouldn't love to see near enough any combination of doctors in a episode.

• Locked thread