Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another new episode? Already? We don't have to wait 6 months?

Cliff Racer posted:

Well seeing as last one got to 33 pages, maybe we do need weekly threads.

But threads can be hundreds of pages, 33 is nothing. Still if that's what the mods want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was a good episode which I enjoyed. Though it had a few problems, like the Doctor's insulting of Clara for no reason, and the incredibly hamfisted Danny Pink scenes. I laughed when they had him cry as he was asked about killing people. gently caress's sake.

But how good is it to see future soldiers with actual proper future laser guns instead of stupid modern bullet guns? It is very good.

Also poor Dolorous Edd.

Shugojin posted:

I'd kind of stopped paying attention by that point because it had gotten boring v:v:v

Superman? Boring? :monocle:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Okay, you're right. It's not billions. BBC Worldwide doesn't release exact numbers. HOWEVER, last year they made £300 from their TV shows. An episode of Doctor Who costs around £1 million to make. Their profits are much. much higher than what they are spending, just not as out of this world as I was saying. Sorry.

edit- Wait, gently caress, this article is from 3 years ago. So it's gone up, then.

Because of the unique way the BBC is funded, they aren't supposed to care about profits, is the main point. And BBC worldwide is a completely separate thing from BBC Wales, who actually make the show. More profits for BBC Worldwide does not mean higher budgets for BBC Wales. As shown when the show was more popular than it is now at the start of Matt Smith's era, and got its budget cut.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Doctor Who has never been racist ever.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hmm.

CobiWann posted:

Just because a show has an opportunity to make a political/social statement doesn’t mean it should. Otherwise, you end up with The Newsroom.

I don't know what The Newsroom is, but this is a weird thing to say. It's pretty much impossible to make a show that doesn't make some kind of social or political statement.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the spirit of the Oxxipation thread and J-Ru et al's reviews here, suggest an episode of Old Who and I will watch it and do an effort post on it :getin:

State of Decay.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Huh? I thought Asylum was pretty good.

It was ok.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Huh I hardly remember any of that stuff. Which means that it is time for me to re-watch State of Decay.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Further evidence that Tom Baker is Boris Johnson in a brown curly wig.

Wow, that's uncalled for. Someone who hates Tom Baker, now I've seen everything.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hahaha. Yes the difference is that when people call Tom Baker a national treasure and a legend, they are entirely correct. When they say that about Boris Johnson, they are alarmingly wrong and make me want to vote yes even harder on the 18th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah, the lack of an obvious successor like Moffat was in RTD's day could be a problem. If the BBC are wanting to get rid of Moffat, as they should (and they were supposedly very angry with him for loving everything up), they could just cancel the show.

Though the BBC's other top international export, Top Gear, is still going after multiple incidents where all the presenters should have been fired, and is on like series 20 or something insane.

• Locked thread