Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Quoting from the last thread:

Jerusalem posted:

A Doctor Who actor who used to be pretty you say?

:swoon:

Patrick Troughton used to be John Hamm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I actually like episode threads because there is less to slog through when there is more content to discuss if you want to go back and read something (as opposed to the dark times of in between season threads), and Trin's weekly OP breakdown of the story so far and the ratings is always a joy.

I say we keep it the way it is.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I guess the tumblr "Eww the doctor isnt hot anymore" crowd might actually be a thing... if those numbers turn out to be accurate.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Captain Jack was a time traveling conman, I can't remember any suggestion that he was a soldier.

He was introduced as a soldier (which he was posing as) in a very soldier-y time and place (hanging out with other soldiers during ww2), wore soldier clothes all the way from "The empty child" to "Miracle day" and does very soldiery things like take command of a militarized group, shoot guns and salute.

Sure he was a conman from the future, but saying there is no hint of soldier in him is a bit much...

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Wait what about journey to the center of the tardis was racist? I must've glossed right over it

The role of space salvage men was cast with actors of african heritage, and people felt like this meant they were shown sealing the doctors space-stereo or something. There was also something about the brother being converted to a cyborg to save his life being treated badly by his brothers something something slavery.

While i respect a concern for how minorities are represented in public media, i also feel very uncomfortable with the idea of "If you cast underrepresented people in a negative role, you're sending the wrong message".

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 3, 2014

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I would ask anyone uncomfortable with the casting if they were familiar with salvage and scrap metal work actually being a thing. And that while very occasionally being legally questionable, is not generally seen as an immoral or malicious act. The brothers mistook the tardis for an abandoned space pod and didnt take a thing until the doctor said "Ok, you can totally help yourself to the tardis if you help me find my friend".

For more insight i suggest the episode "American scrap" on the HBO version of "Vice". This shows pretty much the most shady and illegal version of salvaging (taking copper from long-abandoned buildings someone supposedly still owns), but is a very interesting watch.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Burkion posted:

Even if you make them white people or brown people or rainbow people or clear people or glass people, and I THINK we've had glass people before, at the end of the day, the characters are all awful horrific people.

For me this is the disconnect. Despite them being the antagonists to the doctors motivations in the episode, i dont find them horrific or "Thuggish". Normal humans make arrangements to salvage derelict ships, care little for human life they dont know personally, and treat disabled relatives like poo poo. They recycled metal from derelict spaceships and made a deal with the doctor for the technology from his. Their actions did not constitute an immoral act. This is not to say we should ignore the misuse of minorities in "lower class" or antagonist roles in the media at large, but i think IN THIS CASE, and when it comes to doctor who we can give them the benefit of the doubt as they have shown themselves to be very progressive when it comes to sexuality and race relations. (They are "On notice" when it comes to gender) They were talented actors cast in a well written, believable role and we dont need to pretend racism isnt an issue to think that in the future a black family wont treat a relative badly or do a legally questionable thing.

TLDR paragraph? Calling them space thugs who rob the doctor is dumb, and i wont stand for it.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread