Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You fucker, you closed the old one seconds before I posted a long reply and now it's lost, ARE YOU HAPPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Anyway short version: Whoever it was that picked out Peri, Jack and SJS as people "abandoned" by the Doctor picked out 3 terrible examples. Peri he was trying to save when he was dragged away by the time lords, Jack was already dead and SJS was dropped off safely in GB.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Someone think of a competition and I'll send the winner an AMAZING PRIZE

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Actually no I won't I'll have to think of another way to get rid of my old VHS

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Graham Crowden!

Oh.

:smith:

Hitler's dreaaaams of conquesssst

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Oh no, there's a climactic scene involving Capaldi and special effects!? Guess there's no point in watching the episode now.

It's impolite you fuckwit

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I actually like episode threads because there is less to slog through when there is more content to discuss if you want to go back and read something (as opposed to the dark times of in between season threads), and the weekly OP breakdown of the story so far and the ratings is always a joy.

I say we keep it the way it is.

So it's decided, we go back to a megathread

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bad lands of missing episode, good lands of awesome episodes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's worth getting the DVDs of those

It's not worth getting the DVD of The Ice Warriors to be perfectly honest; the missing episodes are incredibly boring and kill the flow of the story. It's much better with the 15 minute recon recap in their place.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Seeds of Death is excellent

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I can never keep The Seeds of Death and The Seeds of Doom straight.

The Seeds of Death has the seeds that kill people, the Seeds of Doom dooms them duh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I still don't see why people dislike Dodo so much while liking someone like, say, Vicki who, despite having watched all of her serials, I can't remember doing anything at all.

She's pretty good in some stories (eg Time Meddler), more than Dodo

LividLiquid posted:

Individual threads are great for people with archives who want to see past reactions to things, and it doesn't cost us anything to do them, so I don't understand this argument.

We talk about more than just the episode at hand, new threads tends to kill discussions dead half the time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Baring in mind that I'm still reaching Vicki to refresh my memory (she was generic early female companion in Enemy of the World and Web of Fear, and Enemy of the World had two much more interesting women in the cast who I kind of wished would have gotten picked up as companions instead)

Vicki isn't Victoria

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That was actually pretty good, good show chaps and ladies

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kin posted:

Oh and keep things in space and on other planets or dealing with more sci-fi things. The dalek episode was pretty enjoyable because it didn't have the Doctor dealing with a version of the past/present/future UK for the umpteenth time. He's a dude who can travel the infinite reaches of time and space, it's really shite to have him dealing with Robin Hood for example :rolleyes:

Yeah, take that Verity Lambert what's with all this Aztec poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doakes posted:

So Bronn was actually in this episode right? Unlike the guy who looked like him last week.

As who?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Beginning to hate how every future space soldier looks like a 1980s Top Gun pilot.

Then how come they're not playing volleyball hmmmm

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

So...one question, weren't all the Time War style Daleks killed off by the New Paradigm ones? What was the point of Victory of the Daleks explicitly introducing the new Dalek redesign if we're just gonna keep trotting out the old ones? It made sense in Day of the Doctor, since we were in the Time War, but we keep seeing the wrong Daleks...

The new daleks are shite and everyone has realised it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it's weird seeing Michael Smiley in such a straight role.

Go watch a film called Outpost. Thematically related to the daleks!

Trin Tragula posted:

And then by being more serious it invites me to care about things like e.g. what the gently caress happened to all that radiation that was driving their Geiger counters off the scale?

And that's for a normal-sized human.

But yeah, if you're going to be all serious and po-faced about a story and act like you're making serious points about anything, you need to have this kind of poo poo shipshape and Bristol fashion. Genesis understood that much, at least.

If they're shrunk they'll be less susceptible surely - same amount of person just made smaller. If they're 0.1% of the size and they need the same absolute dose to damage them then the fact they're only hit by 0.1% of the radiation they would be if they were normal size has a huge effect.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

How so? I thought they were pretty awesome, what with the clearly delineated roles and the like. Also they're HUGE! And the human-like eyeball inside the stalk was some great body-horror.

They looked like childrens toy versions of the daleks, and had a disturbing amount of badonkadonk

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEe_eraFWWs to quote Tenth Doctor the musical

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

Of course, this is a sci-fi show, so I'm perfectly happy to accept that "Yeah, we fixed the radiation off screen with anti-radiation pills", but if we want to apply some actual science....

Shrink rays make absolutely no sense whatsoever so I think this discussion will come down to how we're imagining the shrink ray to work rather than actually talking about the medical physics of the situation (which is not a point of contention as you posted a load of correct stuff and I studied this course in my Masters which includes all of that jazz)

But v good effort post, thumbs up :snoop:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

I think Tyres' soldiers went to the Imperial Stormtrooper school of shooting at things.

Either this is a very different demographic or Michael Smiley has been doing enough work to get legit recognition, "the guy who plays Tyres in Spaced" was how he was known amongst my friends for about a decade.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

How does everyone feel about the idea of exploring the Doctor's childhood? Would you like to see his mum and dad or the house he grew up in? Would you like to explore the dynamic and events that made him leave Gallifrey?

Is the answer "leading question"?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

I have no idea what that is, and am perfectly okay with continuing in ignorant bliss for the rest of my life. :colbert:

It's a UK superhero comic written by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman, "Ignorant bliss" isn't the term I'd use!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

The thought does occur that maybe the Doctor/Rory/Amy team would have been better suited to accompanying this Doctor than the last one...

(Who wants chips?)

A Doctor/Doctor/Rory/Amy team then? Interesting!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or McCoy.

The Two Scotstors.

"Finally", said the Times TV guy "there is a Doctor who speaks in his native Scottish accent"

FUCKER

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Forktoss posted:

And Eccleston, Nine and Twelve would get along instantly. "Look, let's just ditch the dandy and the clown over there and deal with this Bandril invasion by ourselves, yeah?"

You can't just ditch the dandy and the clown

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

Eh, he did a better job at it than Jason Statham does at ... well, any accent, really. I liked his over-the-top fake Scottish accent in the episode with the werewolves and Queen Victoria, then saw an interview and realized that's how he actually talks.

A bit like Dominic West in The Wire and Hugh Laurie in House when they put on stupid English accents.

Jurgan posted:

Finally, the Dalek Parliament makes sense! It's a pep rally!

Here's a question: do people in America realise quite how fundamentally weird the concept of a pep rally is?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I guess the tumblr "Eww the doctor isnt hot anymore" crowd might actually be a thing... if those numbers turn out to be accurate.

No, stop being an idiot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

% of the UK population, it says at the top

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.

As Jerusalem said it took time. One thing he didn't mention is that in the Brig's first appearance - The Web of Caves Fear - he is set up to be a possible antagonist as a fakeout.

Jerusalem posted:

The really neat thing was that in the build-up to naming Smith's successor, it came out that the unofficial frontrunner was Peter Capaldi and pretty much every single person's reaction was,"....oh? Well.... I have no complaints about that...."

The almost universal stunned reaction of Who fans (in this thread at least) not having anything to complain about was beautiful. :allears:

So you don't remember the huge amount of poo poo that went down about the Doctor regenning into a different race or gender from "white male"?

Jurgan posted:

I thought every classic Doctor met the Master?

Hartnell didn't, Hurndall did

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's pretty much the definition of the inmates running the asylum, I think.

That's a bit rude as Cartmel's taking the Doctor in a darker direction as part of the Masterplan is the only reason why the second best Seventh Doctor story isn't loving Dragonfire

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't until now, no :(

The general reaction was "Capaldi is a good choice if we're stick with white male, but it would have been nice to have someone of a different race or gender" and then a few people (Matt Dizzle mostly) melted down extraordinarily. How could you forget?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Idris Elba isn't a huge Doctor Who nerd though, as far as we know

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Doctor Who is not ending when Moffat leaves. This show is more popular than ever and is making the BBC billions of dollars in merchandizing alone. It's like saying "Well Game of Thrones is going to end when GRRM dies," it's completely unrelated to the business. The network could give less of a poo poo who is running the show as long as it's making them money. That's how it works.

Game of Thrones is going to end in a couple of series, what a strange comparison

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Not really, because GoT is ending because the story will be over. Obviously it's not serialized,

Yes it is? Are you saying that all the episodes are standalone?

GonSmithe posted:

The reason I'm using it, however, is because (as a fan of GoT as well) fans of GoT, every single season, clamor about how it's going to get cancelled because of some stupid reason (like my example), without realizing how much loving money the network is making off the show.

Game of Thrones has never been cancelled, Doctor Who has. GoT has never been under recent threat of being cancelled, Doctor Who has.

GonSmithe posted:

Don't be dense. The show was not anywhere near as popular during Tennant's run as it is now.

In America maybe.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, sorry, it is serialized.
I agree, though. Doctor Who was cancelled. When it was not popular and not making them billions of dollars.

It was going to be cancelled fairly recently and RTD had to persuade them otherwise, obviously this was the correct decision but it still happened.

Now strictly speaking the BBC does not directly make money from Doctor Who in America or from merchandising, BBC Worldwide (which is a wholly owned subsidiary) does.

GonSmithe posted:

The reasons television shows exist, are cancelled, or continue running is money. There is no other reason. The networks do not care about the fans.

This is not actually true for the BBC Mister "I understand basic economics :smug:".

Also a very very very important fact is that you are overestimating the amount of money that Doctor Who brings the BBC dramatically.

You claimed it makes "billions and billions of dollars" for the Beeb. This is just not true. The aforementioned BBC Worldwide has a total turnover of £1.1 billion. It makes a profit of the order of a hundred million pounds for all BBC worldwide commercial operations. Even if Doctor Who was 10% of the Beeb's worldwide profit (which it isn't) you're still overstating its profitability by a factor of a hundred.

When you got your understanding of basic economics it obviously pushed your understanding of "how to check if things are true rather than make random assumptions" out of your head.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 2, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I literally just made a graph, dude. :colbert:

Seasonal average ratings have been nailed to the 7-8 million rang- the show is remarkably consistent. It has declined over Smith's run, but the change has been microscopic; 7.73 for his first season and 7.44 for his third, even with the half-season fuckery.

He was asking for the comparison of Smith + Capaldi to Tennant, not Capaldi to Smith. And as your graph shows the steady climb that happened during Tennant's era stopped and dropped away rather sharply. It's a lot more stable now, but lower and not increasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Okay, you're right. It's not billions. BBC Worldwide doesn't release exact numbers. HOWEVER, last year they made £300 from their TV shows. An episode of Doctor Who costs around £1 million to make. Their profits are much. much higher than what they are spending, just not as out of this world as I was saying. Sorry.

edit- Wait, gently caress, this article is from 3 years ago. So it's gone up, then.

BBC Worldwide's profitability is of the order of 11% from the latest financial reports, with £122m profit from £1042m revenue. Do you realise the £300 (million) figure is gross income and not profit?

From the figures available I would severely doubt if Doctor Who was making much more than £20m profit when production costs are taken into account. A lot of money, certainly, and definitely not a money sink , but "Much much higher" is overstating things fairly dramatically.

• Locked thread