Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Murphy keeps pulling us back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We were the real American horror story all along.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parasol Prophet posted:

*Watches all the episodes, complains every week*

What I want: Another Aslyum
What I'll accept: "Full Retard Enabled: Coven"
What I'll get: An even duller Freakshow

I've come to almost appreciate Coven just because it was so, so loving bad. Nothing made sense. It was mad libs bullshit brought to 11. It pissed me off watching it, now I just laugh. I've seen forum "writing round tables that produced more coherent stories. It's kind of glorious in how lovely it is.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2015

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

haveblue posted:

We were the real American horror story all along.

We're all just ghosts trapped in the mansion of intriguing character concepts and stylish design, ruined by undeniable pacing/plot issues.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Parasol Prophet posted:

We're all just ghosts trapped in the mansion of intriguing character concepts and stylish design, ruined by undeniable pacing/plot issues.

This but unironically because I keep trying to watch this crap thinking that it will be as cool as ghosts trapped in a mansion again

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
glad to see this is the new glee thread

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This is the tipping point where there will be more bad seasons than good.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i just wish each episode of AHS would be sadder and/or gayer than the previous, instead i get Patti Labelle killed out of nowhere for no reason

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Doltos posted:

This but unironically because I keep trying to watch this crap thinking that it will be as cool as ghosts trapped in a mansion again

That was my favorite Zachary Quinto moment. "I feel like I'm doomed for all of eternity to be trapped in an unhappy, adulterous relationship, working on this goddamn house which will never be just the way I want it"

Now somebody apply how the futility of that quote equates to the futility of watching this show

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blazing Ownager posted:

What I want: Another Aslyum
What I'll accept: "Full Retard Enabled: Coven"
What I'll get: An even duller Freakshow

I've come to almost appreciate Coven just because it was so, so loving bad. Nothing made sense. It was mad libs bullshit brought to 11. It pissed me off watching it, now I just laugh. I've seen forum "writing round tables that produced more coherent stories. It's kind of glorious in how lovely it is.

Were witch hunters, yet we are hilariously weak to witch business magic and meetings with witches that include axe murdering ghosts.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 27, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Ah okay, I get it now. Lady Gaga is playing a Countess. Named Elizabeth. And she has some kind of glove with sharp, spiky fingers that look like they'd be good for bloodletting.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Were witch hunters, yet we are hilariously weak to witch business magic and meetings with witches that include axe murdering ghosts.

OH poo poo WE FORGOT THE PLOT.. OH I KNOW!

WHO IS THE ONE? Err I mean THE SUPREME? What nobody gives a poo poo? Well that's all we got folks! Oh my God recounting the stupidity in that show makes me laugh. It's such a mess. I loved how one of the most powerful characters was drowned off-screen in a bathtub.

The only thing that bums me out about the season is how they took the one good thing about the season - a redemption arc for an irredeemable monster, with something kind of cool behind it - then just flipping a switch of "gently caress that!" and wrecking the whole thing. Seriously. Bates owned and they took a dump on her.

Man I could rant about Coven for hours; the plot stuff barely scratches the surface, even the fact the "school" consisted of a house for a bunch of bitchy teenagers to hang out and absolutely nothing more or all attempts at universe building were as incoherent as the rest of it.. it was a very well directed and at times very well acted poo poo sandwich.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly I hated on Coven more than anyone but like someone said earlier if you viewed the season as a Buffy the Vampire Slayer cheesy 90's spinoff it's actually quite good. The rambling incoherent plots. The hamfisted anti-racism messages. The girl power ending.

Oh and let's not forget about the loving bees in the car.

Either way it was such a trainwreck that it was actually a good trainwreck. Freak Show took itself too seriously for it to be on the same level as Coven. That was its downfall. You can excuse all the god awful crap Coven pumped out because at least it wasn't trying to be something it's not. Freak Show was trying to be season 2 but fell so drat flat making it probably the biggest disappointment season by far.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Welp.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/27/american-horror-story-jessica-lange-return

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I can't help it, I laughed when he said "Jessica is always about the character." Singular tense.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Spoeank posted:

oven had...? Stevie Nicks?

Super hot hippie Lily Rabe?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I wonder how they'll make season 6 all about her this time

My guess on the ending: everyone parties with her again

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
*Begin Scene*

*Ms. Claudia Sexpants (played by Jessica Lange) walks into a perfumed and laced out room with a glass of whiskey*

Ms. Claudia Sexpants: *inaudible slurring backed up by sneering and occasional sips of whiskey*

Useless character played by that girl Zoe: Ms. Claudia, we really need you to [insert plot point]. Can you please stop drinking all that whiskey and talking about your past life for a moment?

Ms. Claudia Sexpants: *inaudible slurring about how she used to be a beauty queen*

Useless character played by that girl Zoe: Ms. Claudia I hosed everything up somehow again because we have to stretch this poo poo out for 13 seasons. Can you please ask all those guys who are thirty years younger than you inexplicably fawning all over you to leave?

*Pathetic men leave*

Ms. Claudia Sexpants: Youuuu don't know anything, sugar. HEH. I used to run this hotel. I used to be THE hotel debutante in all of Georgia *swigs whiskey* ERRRGH

*Queue Lady Gaga cover*

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

*Begin Scene*

*Ms. Claudia Sexpants (played by Jessica Lange) walks into a perfumed and laced out room with a glass of whiskey*

Ms. Claudia Sexpants: *inaudible slurring backed up by sneering and occasional sips of whiskey*

Useless character played by that girl Zoe: Ms. Claudia, we really need you to [insert plot point]. Can you please stop drinking all that whiskey and talking about your past life for a moment?

Ms. Claudia Sexpants: *inaudible slurring about how she used to be a beauty queen*

Useless character played by that girl Zoe: Ms. Claudia I hosed everything up somehow again because we have to stretch this poo poo out for 13 seasons. Can you please ask all those guys who are thirty years younger than you inexplicably fawning all over you to leave?

*Pathetic men leave*

Ms. Claudia Sexpants: Youuuu don't know anything, sugar. HEH. I used to run this hotel. I used to be THE hotel debutante in all of Georgia *swigs whiskey* ERRRGH

*Queue Lady Gaga cover*

At the end of the cover a "twist" on par with the infamous 'No John, you ARE the demons!' happens.

(Still more coherent than Coven!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3LKadZ4LFU)

Doltos posted:

Honestly I hated on Coven more than anyone but like someone said earlier if you viewed the season as a Buffy the Vampire Slayer cheesy 90's spinoff it's actually quite good. The rambling incoherent plots. The hamfisted anti-racism messages. The girl power ending.

Oh and let's not forget about the loving bees in the car.

Either way it was such a trainwreck that it was actually a good trainwreck. Freak Show took itself too seriously for it to be on the same level as Coven. That was its downfall. You can excuse all the god awful crap Coven pumped out because at least it wasn't trying to be something it's not. Freak Show was trying to be season 2 but fell so drat flat making it probably the biggest disappointment season by far.

I think you totally misread Coven on one thing: It was trying to be serious, too. There were quite a few points where they really truly thought they were saying some great artistic thing.

It just ended up hilarious. I've had fever dreams after eating some terrible food with more coherency. Which is why in hindsight I'm less annoyed and more amused at the sheer what-the-fuckery. At least it wasn't dull, like Freak Show ended up in it's back half.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 28, 2015

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Ryan tweeted an image of a possible villian, looks promising.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mrrpmurphy/status/637796277439197184

I really like the "look" of that frame.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

somnambulist posted:

I don't want to make too many judgements based on one still, but that does look more promising than the last 2 seasons. Can't wait to be disappointed.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't want to make too many judgements based on one still, but that does look more promising than the last 2 seasons. Can't wait to be disappointed.

This literally could have been said about Twisty. Hell it probably was said.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

This literally could have been said about Twisty. Hell it probably was said.

Twisty was cool

And then they made him sympathetic and dead halfway through the season. But he started out cool!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Chris James 2 posted:

Twisty was cool

And then they made him sympathetic and dead halfway through the season. But he started out cool!

He didn't even make it halfway.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

somnambulist posted:

This looks like a less scary version of the current villains on Teen Wolf.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Remember how cool the intro scenes were to Coven and how poo poo all the scariness in that season turned out to be? They had this awesome intro of bleak cultish looking witches and eldritch magic being casted then we got Axman and Kathy Bates.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Doltos posted:

Remember how cool the intro scenes were to Coven and how poo poo all the scariness in that season turned out to be? They had this awesome intro of bleak cultish looking witches and eldritch magic being casted then we got Axman and Kathy Bates.

and KNOTTY PINE

goddamn gently caress Ryan Murphy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk1EI1MVf_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gig0V4DfcCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Fxf85oXaw

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

Yet Kathy Bates was the only thing tolerable about the season, until they hosed that up too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I remember this upcoming season when it was called 666 Park Avenue.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

wormil posted:

That got cancelled before its conclusion though

This will suck just as much but people will watch. By the time they realize it sucks it's too late, it's already been renewed, and hey it might be good until it ends up not being good

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Holy gently caress that show.

Chris James 2 posted:

They dumped the last few episodes on some channel in the end, though, right?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Chris James 2 posted:

This will suck just as much but people will watch. By the time they realize it sucks it's too late, it's already been renewed, and hey it might be good until it ends up not being good

This. It sucks me in every season with high hopes, only to take those hopes and wreck them. :(

Crunch Grabowski
Sep 4, 2015

by Ralp
What time period does this take place in. I know Evan Peters character is in flashbacks and based on HH Holmes but what about GAGA's character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The majority of the story takes place in the modern day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740597

• Locked thread