Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am tired of owning lovely furniture. I am willing to spend some money on some good quality stuff that will last my family years, but I don't know what to look for and I don't know how to get a good deal. Specifically I want a pair of couches and a dinner table with chairs. i doubt walking in a furniture store, ordering from the expensive section, and getting a warranty is the right way to go. Can you guys give me some tips? I have about 3,000-3,500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I think furniture buying philosophy can be broken up into thee branches:

1. Buying quality.
Your 3k will only go so far when you do this. Buy one piece at a time.

2. buying "good enough for now"
you say you have family. Young kids and a new expensive couch is a good way to get ulcers.

3. Oh look! Aunt Mildred died/is downsizing
A great way to pick up nice stuff. just don't look like a vulture while you do it.

I'd suggest you go with number 2 to start. You go to a well reviewed mass market furniture store (such as Bob's Discount Furniture if you are around CT) and get several rooms of furniture for under that 3k.

OR

Splurge on a nice hardwood dining room table and then get your couches from the cheaper place.

DON'T get a super expensive couch. I did that and it's a heart breaker. If you have kids, It's a ulcer-fest.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ikea really isn't that bad. They've got quite clear tiers of quality, and you can find reviews of everything. Assembly won't make you want to kill yourself or your partner unless you're buying one of their godforsaken bedframes. Personally, I'd get an Ikea table and check reviews on their couches, since that's a place they're price-comparable to other retailers. No idea for chairs. I inherited mine, proving that's a legit path too.

Don't buy sofa-beds. They're loving impossible to get rid of later, and they weigh a billion pounds.

As for other retailers, complain about the price. Walk the show-room floor, pick up price tags, and frown. In almost all of them, the sales guy has a fair bit of flex to drop the price, or throw in bonuses. I figured that one out by walking a showroom floor, then telling the sales guy that the prices weren't even in the same ballpark as what I was seeing online. He asked me what I wanted to pay, so I midlined it, and suddenly a bunch of things were 50%+ off. (This was Sears Canada, incidentally.) Ended up with a couch the same price as the ones I'd liked online, except I actually got to sit on one and make sure it was sturdy before paying.

Couch-buying is trickier than it looks, though. I like that mine has uniform-size seating so I can rotate them instead of getting the gamer-slump cushion that gets used the most. Also means they can get flipped over to hide coffee spills. I forgot to make sure the back cushions detached, however, which is sort of convenient but makes it just a little too narrow to be any use for regular-size adults to cuddle on without risk of a man-overboard situation. I suppose you could gently caress on it, but there's no way you're getting through all of the Avengers without someone sliding onto the floor.

Priorities. I have them.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 30, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

We were ready to buy a new couch to to with our new house and we Re so glad we waited. Our couch is nice and all, but we feel we outgrew its style. We were looking at pottery barn stuff but will likely wait until our kids are a little older. We'll probably end up with leather as well since the fabric will no doubt get stained/dirty by things you don't know existed.

That aside we did buy a new dining table from Costco.com that is so bitching. It was about $2300 and took 6 weeks for delivery but it was so worth it. Two leaves, 8 chairs. It was the 'white glove' delivery so they put everything together and hauled away all the packaging materials. I've never once been disappointed with a major purchase from Costco and it's likely where we will look for a sofa set.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I'd suggest you go with number 2 to start. You go to a well reviewed mass market furniture store (such as Bob's Discount Furniture if you are around CT) and get several rooms of furniture for under that 3k.

Oh yes please give Bob more money for his ads/ugly furniture/stale popcorn smelling stores (I've only been to one but I assume they are smell like this). Go to Ikea over Bobs. There's also the pricier Fairhaven furniture.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 31, 2014

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh yes please give Bob more money for his ads/ugly furniture/stale popcorn smelling stores (I've only been to one but I assume they are smell like this). Go to Ikea over Bobs. There's also the pricier Fairhaven furniture.

Yeah the ads are tacky, but they really do have some great furniture :shrug:. Ikea is also fine if you can stand the smell of Swedish meatballs, I've only been to one but I assume they all smell like that.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can get crazy good deals for used couches, but you can also get bedbugs from them, so if you end up buying used you better inspect the poo poo out of anything you're buying, grill the owner about bedbugs, and then hope you don't get unlucky on top of all that. Even though I buy almost all my furniture used, used couches are one thing that I don't gently caress with unless I personally know who owned it.

As far as used tables go, if you know of a good antique market or flea market, you can find some nice wooden dining table sets anywhere from $150 (its rare to see good poo poo is this low though) to $500. You'll probably end up refinishing whatever you get though.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 31, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Yeah the ads are tacky, but they really do have some great furniture :shrug:. Ikea is also fine if you can stand the smell of Swedish meatballs, I've only been to one but I assume they all smell like that.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bobs-discount-furniture-southington oh yeah looking good.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bobs-discount-furniture-newington real good.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bobs-discount-furniture-bridgeport ever so good.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bobs-discount-furniture-orange

Bob's is cheap, not quality.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Profit off of other's misfortunes, IE craigslist

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Obviously you are Swedish and took my meatball comment very personally. For that, I'm sorry. I also notice a lot of good comments in those links your provided. I'm sorry you and your people were assaulted by popcorn at some point in your life and I hope you can put it behind you and move on.

I'm sorry My suggestion of Bob's Discount Furniture triggered you so horribly. Please accept my humble apologies. I also never said it was Quality. I said it was "Good enough for now."

The bob o'pedic rocks though.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

xaarman posted:

Profit off of other's misfortunes, IE craigslist

Seriously, Craigslist is teeming with good stuff that people are unloading for peanuts if you have the patience to wait for a good deal. My roommate and I got sick of our ugly college junk furniture and wanted a nice dining set, so we trawled Craigslist for a couple weeks and came away with an amazing antique set - table with leaf, four matching chairs, and a really nice sideboard for a hundred bucks. Granted, that was a freakishly good deal, but other very nice sets made out of solid wood and stuff, were going for only a few hundred. If you go the new route, you'll pay as much or more for furniture that is made out of particleboard and/or MDF and covered with veneer. Roomie also picked up a solid oak desk for $60 on Craigslist. Can't get solid oak desks at Ikea for any price.

So yeah, if you want a nice dining set, go antique, either through Craigslist (look for solid wood, good jointing, that sort of stuff - and remember that chairs can always be re-upholstered and re-glued) or if you have a 3k budget, go check out the antique dealers in your area.

On the subject of couches, I'd probably just buy new couches, but I don't know much about buying couches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've actually bought furniture from Overstock.com and been very happy with it. Caveat: This does not apply to cushioned furniture. My bedroom set, sans mattress came from there, and some office furniture as well. A dining table and chairs can probably be had for a good price if you really want to buy new (my CL sucks, nothing good seems to pop up), but I'd be wary about buying a couch sight unseen.

• Locked thread