Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm glad Michigan managed to beat Appalachian State the second time around and now we can get on with the rest of the season. We'll still lose a bunch of games, but at least not that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Should have been a penalty. Ball has to hit the ground before it's considered truly muffed.

Only if it was a fair catch.

quote:

ARTICLE 2. To muff the ball is to make an unsuccessful attempt to catch or
recover a ball that is touched in the attempt. Muffing the ball does not change
its status.

"Muff" status has nothing to do with the ball touching the ground, only with the player touching the ball.

quote:

b. It is an interference foul if, before the receiver touches the ball, a Team
A player enters the area defined by the width of the receiver’s shoulders
and extending one yard in front of him. When in question it is a foul.(A.R.
6-4-1-X-XIII)
c.This protection terminates when the kick touches the ground (Exception: Free kick, par. f below), when any player of Team B muffs or touches a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone, or when any player of Team B muffs or touches a free kick in the field of play or in the end zone (Exception: Rule 6-5-1-b) (A.R. 6-4-1-IV)

Fair catch protection ends when the ball his the ground and remains in effect on a muff until then. Without the fair catch signal, he's fair game as soon as he touches it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

I am outright baffled at how many coaches seem to be just...outright terrible at thinking things like "there's 40 seconds to go and I have three time outs, better have them hurry to the line" instead of "...poo poo if I don't call that time out they're going to burn off 25% of the remaining time on the clock!"

Yeah, I don't get what was with nearly letting the clock expire because he didn't realize the guy was down inbounds. You've got two timeouts left, use the drat things. Even if the clock is stopped anyway, you're at a critical point in the game and need to give yourself a chance to think it through. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

go3 posted:

Completely Context-Free and Mostly Meaningless Number of Losses to Worse Ranked and Unranked Teams while Ranked Since 2000!

Alabama 15
Texas 15
Auburn 16
Notre Dame 17
Ohio State 17
LSU 18
Southern Cal 19
Oklahoma 20
Florida 22
Georgia 24
Virginia Tech 26
Florida State 28

The SEC dominates another top 10 list

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Iowa State's #1 reciever appears to be out for the season with a torn ACL, tha the suffered on like the thrid play of the game. Our center, who went down early in the second quarter (and when he did the entire offense completely fell apart) might be back next week... so there's that, I guess.

Seriously, how the gently caress is our god drat center that important to the offense. After he went down we gained like 60 yards the entire rest of the game.

The center is usually the leader of the offensive line, calling out protections and blocking assignments. Without him doing things right, the offense breaks down in a hurry.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Griffin is like 90% of the reason that stadium exists. I'd say he's earned a statue.

I hope they don't discover the danger of building a statue to a living person.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I like football and I've grown to like college football, but I don't have a college football team. Who should I root for this year?

I'll probably just take up the flag of whoever first responds to this but no Alabama, Florida State, or Maryland. Nick Saban is an rear end in a top hat, I don't want to be a bandwagoner and the terps moving conferences just bugs the hell out of me for some reason. I'm just so used to the ACC :shurg:

Rutgers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MindlessHavok posted:

They also say poo poo like this:

Taken from the hail mary video posted earlier. He admits to not being a Michigan fan but I wouldn't be surprised if it was bred from other UM fans. Also the math doesn't exactly work on that.

I had a Vandy fan say something similar to me like that once. I just called him a nerd and laughed it off but I thought my friend was going to kill him, and he's a ND fan.
"MSU is for people who can't get into Michigan" has been a thing in the state of Michigan for generations. It was probably close to being true about 100 years ago, but now it's just something to say to piss off MSU fans.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alouicious posted:

who doesn't wanna play in the Alamodome

Particularly when the alternative is playing outdoors in Arizona in September.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Quandary posted:

Georgia looked good week 1, but I really feel like everyone needs to calm down and quit overreacting because 1 week does not the best team in the country make.

Yeah, doing something once (good or bad) can be a fluke. Do it twice and people take notice.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm in a mental facility for three day observation. I'm not in jail lol

Enjoy your visit to the University of Georgia!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Slate Action posted:

So Florida is sacrificing the Idaho game in order to be really well-prepared for the Georgia game, I guess?

Perhaps the contract had a clause that Idaho got their money regardless, so they aren't interested in rescheduling.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pakled posted:

Florida paid money to not play a football game.

AD is hitting up the alumni to see if they can go undefeated this year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

I hope the ND/OSU home and home makes Michigan fans as mad as I think they will be.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

I wouldn't consider many goons representative of their respective fan bases.

What I've seen on message boards is mainly arguing about who they'd root for. The most common sentiment seems to be hoping ND kicks the poo poo out of OSU.

We've come to terms with the ND series ending a long time ago. They're an OOC rival, we don't own them. ND has wanted to play OSU since forever, but Woody Hayes' anti-catholic bigotry prevented it. They had one H&H in the 90s, and that's it other than a bowl game.

We'll be glad to play ND again when they're ready to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fans of team A come off as assholes to fans of team B who don't like team A.

My eyes have been opened.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scionix posted:

Does Trin still post around here? I've been reading some grantland stuff recently about the newer packaged plays that are getting really popular, and almost every single one has lineman 4+ yards downfield blocking when the ball is thrown, if the throw is what the QB choses. I understand that's the point, you block everything like a run and give the QB the option, but in like 99% of the pass plays there are a bazillion O-lineman way up the field, which is very illegal.

That seems to be a current trend in coaching. Break various rules deliberately, but barely, and keep pushing the envelope of how blatant something needs to be before it's called. There will be a lot wailing and gnashing of teeth when the rules committee tells the refs to start calling everything close again.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Is there a particular reason why linemen aren't allowed downfield on a pass? What is the origin of the rule?

If they're not eligible receivers then why should it matter?

Originally, when players didn't have numbers, there was no way to tell who was eligible and who wasn't. Requiring ineligible receivers to stay at the line made it easier to tell them apart.

Since then, I would imagine that sending ineligible receivers downfield would be done to deliberately confuse the defense and get them to waste a defender on a guy who couldn't catch a pass anyway.

I suspect the main reason for leaving it was inertia. Keeping ineligibles at the line worked well and nobody saw any reason to change it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

"Meep meep"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Sorry, bro.

My faith in Deadspin has been forever shattered.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

Yeah. The whole Oregon can't play against good defenses thing is really dumb and overblown. And MSU's offense is not very good

Surprisingly, a good defense is generally regarded as one that good offenses have trouble scoring on. Many fans seem incapable of making this connection.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Personally, I'll enjoy TFF a lot more when someone can mention something about PSU football without a three page child rape derail ensuing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

computer parts posted:

Apparently this is a thing now:

That would make a pretty good starter image for a photoshop thread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raku posted:

They hold the Kroger in high esteem for its wide variety of goods that come in jars. It's like a temple to their depraved aggie god

Everybody knows Piggly Wiggly is the best, but Alabama already has them locked down. Kroger's will have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

• Locked thread