Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL rookie catcher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Baseball owns.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
:sweep: :sweep: :sweep::sweep:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Milwaukee outfielders can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
An Arias homer would have just been too much. I would have been happy because of baseball, which is just impossible.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so are there any good teams these days? everyone seems to be terrible now.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

so are there any good teams anymore? everyone seems to be terrible now.

The Giants have just scored 13 runs.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Panik. :eyepop:

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
You're so fine, Alex Wood.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Holy gently caress I love Joe Panik. I'm getting a shirtsey at my next opportunity.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Panik: Got 'im! I got 'im!

Bochy: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Alex Wood is straight gassin' fools!

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Marlins nooooooooooooooooooo

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Panik: Got 'im! I got 'im!

Bochy: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

I like what you're doing in this thread.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Okay I'm gonna take a short break from Star Wars references to say I really want a position player pitching. We didn't get one on Friday so wee need to get one today.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Alright Giants, bat around so Sandoval can have another chance at the cycle.

I see you followed my advice Giants. For once.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Giants are murdering Milwaukee. 7 runs in the 7th :getin:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I see you followed my advice Giants. For once.

Pan(da) will get that cycle in, we've gotta give him more time!

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Lincecum still not sharp. At least he's throwing strikes.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Still no position player pitching. :(

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
the fernando rodney experience begins

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
the fernando rodney experience ends

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Tim still looks awful out of the bullpen. What the hell do we do with him

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Colonel Whitey posted:

Tim still looks awful out of the bullpen. What the hell do we do with him

Not sign him.

But since they failed that, they have to tolerate him for another year, I guess.

E: Miller is breaking down all the changes in the Rockies game the Giants have to finish up seeing as 5 or more people between the two teams are injured or no longer on the teams. It's kind of funny.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 1, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I felt a great disturbance in Wisconsin, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I like Alex Wood, he is good at throwing baseballs but not good at having friends that can hit baseballs.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

Not sign him.

But since they failed that, they have to tolerate him for another year, I guess.

Exactly...at what point is it not even worth it for him to be taking up a roster spot, regardless of what they're paying him?

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 1, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
From what I can tell from AT&T crowds and sports bars, soccer moms and baby boomer women see Lincecum as their adoptive son. So, I suspect even if he's mop-up guy he will have a position on this team longer than any other team would put up with him, because ownership (which seems to really be pushing for a 'family product') will put their foot down to make it happen. As they probably did with this extension.

But the Giants can spend like a big market team so long as they keep the other team in the region stuck in a decaying football stadium, so go ahead I guess.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Colonel Whitey posted:

Exactly...at what point is it not even worth it for him to be taking up a roster spot, regardless of what they're paying him?

He's not blocking any amazing pitching prospect and it's unlikely he will be next year.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Guys, guys let's enjoy the :sweep: against a good team.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Braves win 1-0.

Must suck as a Braves pitcher to know that you have to be basically flawless these days for the team to win. :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Gordon again!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alex Gordon's pretty cool.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alex Gordon is gonna will the royals into almost making the playoffs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Welp, he willed the Royals into almost winning that game at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jesus that wind.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So if this gets suspended, where is it gonna pick up?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Royals at bat in the bottom of the 10th if that happens, I have no idea when they'd get it in. Glancing at the schedule the Royals and Indians don't have any matching off days left.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, duh. They play each other again. I thought I looked through and didn't see any more but I guess not. So this gets decided September 22.

quote:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Cleveland's game at Kansas City has been suspended due to rain with the Indians leading 4-2 heading into the bottom of the 10th inning.

The game will resume on Sept. 22 in Cleveland before the start of a three-game series between the AL Central rivals.

Let me pretend that it's unfair to make the Royals finish a home game in the other team's park for a minute...

ok. That's long enough. Works for me. So the division is still tied in everything but the standings.

e: I was really hoping for some ridiculous scenario where Cleveland would have to fly to KC for a half inning after the season is over

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

National Broadcasts This WeekAll times Eastern. Subject to change and local market
  • 1:10 pm - Philadelphia Phillies at Atlanta Braves - ESPN
  • 2:00 pm - Milwaukee Brewers at Chicago Cubs - WGN America
  • 4:05 pm - Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Indians - ESPN
  • 8:10 pm - Washington Nationals at Los Angeles Dodgers - MLBN
  • 8:10 pm - Texas Rangers Kansas at City Royals - MLBN

Today in Baseball History
  • 1902 - Joe Tinker, Johnny Evers, and Frank Chance appear together in the Chicago Cubs lineup for the first time.
  • 1918 - Ty Cobb pitches two innings against the Browns while the Browns' George Sisler pitches one scoreless inning. The Browns win 6-2 as Sisler hits a double off Cobb.
  • 1964 - Southpaw relief pitcher Masanori Murakami becomes the first Major League player from Japan. He debuts in a 4-1 San Francisco loss at New York.
  • 1987 - Williamsport (Eastern League) Bills catcher Dave Bresnahan introduces a new wrinkle to baseball, the hidden potato. With a Reading runner, Rick Rudblad, on third base, Bresnahan returns from a time out with a shaved potato hidden in his mitt. On the next pitch he throws the potato wildly on a pickoff attempt. When the runner trots home, Bresnahan tags him out with the real ball. The umpire, unamused, rules the runner safe, gives the catcher an error, and fines him $50. He is released the following day.
  • 1989 - Eight days after banning Pete Rose from baseball for life, Commissioner Bart Giamatti dies suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 51.
  • 1998 - Mark McGwire broke Hack Wilson's sixty-eight year-old National League record for home runs in a season, hitting his 56th and 57th in the St. Louis Cardinals' victory over the Florida Marlins.

• Locked thread