Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Steam and soot darken the skies above the city of Flint, and winds sweeping across its majestic harbor blow the choking products of industrial forges into the fey rainforests that dot its knife-toothed mountains. Since the earliest ages when the people of Risur founded this city, they feared the capricious beings that hid in those fog-shrouded peaks, but now, as the march of progress and the demands of national defense turn Flint into a garden for artifice and technology, the old faiths and rituals that kept the lurkers of the woods at bay are being abandoned.

The Unseen Court, the Great Hunt, and the many spirits of the land long ago conquered by Risur’s kings no longer receive tribute, but they cannot enter these new cities of steam and steel to demand their tithe. The impoverished workers who huddle in factory slums fear monsters of a different breed, shadowy children of this new urban labyrinth. Even their modern religions have no defenses against these fiends.

Times are turning. The skyseers, Risur’s folk prophets since their homeland’s birth, witness omens in the starry wheels of heaven and they warn that a new age is nigh. But what they cannot foresee, hidden beyond the steam and soot of the night sky, is the face of this coming era, the spirit of the next age. The zeitgeist.

Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution is a D&D adventure path from EN Publishing, with 8 adventures currently released out of a planned 13 spanning all the way from level 1 to 30. PCs are newly appointed agents of the kingdom of Risur's Royal Homeland Constabulary, the foremost defenders of the crown. All races, nationalities, and walks of life are welcome in the RHC--Royal Constables must have uncommon talents and unshakeable loyalty, and suitable candidates are rare enough that the Inspectors cannot afford to discriminate.

The other most important thing to know about Zeitgeist:

An industrial revolution is on and this setting has firearms. Amazingly, they do not suck, at least not with the proper preparations. Pistols, carbines, and muskets are all reskins of existing crossbows with the High Crit and Brutal 2 properties. There are also rifled variants that allow a marksman to strike from extreme range. Shotguns allow two attack rolls and extra damage in close quarters. Finally there are grenades, which turn any ranged weapon attack into an area burst 1 that deals half damage on a miss--as long as your throw isn't off. Every feat, enchantment, and anything else that applies to crossbows can be applied to firearms.

Most guns do have a serious drawback: reloading is a standard action. If you're interested in making a shooty character, there are a few ways around this. The simplest might be to wear a brace of pistols along with some way to draw weapons as a free action, like the Quick Draw feat, Battle Harness armor, a Deep-Pocket Cloak, or the Thri-Kreen's Multiple Arms ability. You can also take steps to reduce the action cost of reloading. The Speed Loader feat, the Hunter ranger's Crossbow Hunter feature, and the Swiftshot Weapon enchantment will all reduce firearm reloading to a move action. Any two of those together would make it a minor. Starting at level 5, characters with the Gunsmith theme can choose to offer a permanent solution with upgraded ammo clips that allow five or six shots before a minor-action reload. Or you might just skip all that crap, treat your gun as an encounter attack, and use a bow for everything else.

You're also allowed to have bayonets, weeaboo gunblades, and other firearm/melee weapon combos, within reason. No Greataxe/Target Pistols, for example, unless your explanation is funny. You could also have a firearm/implement, refluffed as energy crystals or thaumic channeling rails or whatever. Please make a note of any combined weapons in your submissions, and remember that the firearm half and melee/implement half are still treated as separate items with separate enchantments.

Character Creation and House Rules:

--Refer to the Zeitgeist Player's Guide, available for free here, for details on the setting and new character options. Please try to avoid completely spoiling the overall plot for yourself with the Campaign Guide and first adventure, also available for free elsewhere.
--Tieflings, Devas, and Eladrin are all significantly changed from the PHB default. A lot of the other races aren't mentioned at all. Get as inventive as you wish for those. The world map includes a lot of blank-slate "Border States" areas for anyone who wants to make places up.
--Start at 1st level with 100 gold.
--Turn on Inherent Bonuses.
--As per the Player's Guide, all PCs get Primordial as a bonus language.
--Take 3 extra feats. New players should choose Improved Defenses, the Essentials Expertise feat for your character's weapon or implement, and Melee Training if your character is mostly melee but lacks a strong melee basic attack.
--No dragonmarks.
--Your character theme must be one of the new Zeitgeist themes. Don't worry, they are pretty sweet. Make sure to list your theme in your submission post.
--Backgrounds are fine, even the HORRIBLY BROKEN AND OP Scales of War ones that give you a whole 4 extra HP.
--When it comes to compensation, the RHC is more organized, and more prosaic, then your typical mob of freelance murderhobos. Instead of loot, Royal Constables are granted regular requisition stipends for all mundane or magical equipment. Common, Uncommon, and Rare items are freely available. Any gear you requisition may be returned at a later date for a refund of its full value. If you come across useful items in the field, you are free to make use of them, but at the date of your next report they must either be turned in to your Inspector or purchased with funds from your stipend. This cost does not apply to freely given gifts.
--Royal Constables also have serious clout in the community. The Prestige system, detailed on pages 18-20 of the Player's Guide, has rules for calling in favors with local figures to arrange things like City Watch backup, ritual casting, emergency requisitions, shady deeds, etc.
--Post your character sheet on Orokos and link it here.
--Please be able to post frequently, even if it's just "Busy having a life right now, will pretend to be elves later."

I will warn you that this is the first Play-By-Post I've ever tried to run. :ohdear:

I'll keep recruiting open until next weekend.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reserved for submissions.

pre:
Korhal              Reape              Artificer     Technologist
Daeren              Bharhash           Warlord       Yerasol Veteran
Captain Walker      Charles Easting    Bard          Docker
Manifest Dynasty    Quinn              Artificer     Technologist

potatocubed         Unit 9             Fighter       Martial Scientist
PurplieNurplie      Beriah Vered       Paladin       Yerasol Veteran

Bitchtits McGee     Blaine Taggart     Monk          Martial Scientist
djw175              Faral              Rogue         Gunsmith
TheLovablePlutonis  Sander             Avenger       Martial Scientist

Bacon In A Wok      Seb Vishailthan    Wizard        Spirit Medium
Obligatum VII       Adrik Tarn         Protector     Eschatologist
Lord of Bore        Bran Owain         Hunter        Gunsmith
Androc              Matias             Invoker       Martial Scientist
Generic Octopus     Kelbrinn           Hunter        Martial Scientist

Gharbad the Weak    F.R.E.D.           SwordLock     Vekeshi Mystic
frankenfreak        Cryss Portman      ArdBard       Spirit Medium
Ryuujin             Hawthorn           WarCutioner   Vekeshi Mystic
ProfessorCirno      Cha Ravah          CleriFicer    Docker

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 4, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CirclMastr posted:

I'm interested but have VERY little experience with 4E, is that alright?

It's all good. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you have. That goes for everybody, of course.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Androc posted:

Interest, for sure. I assume that stuff from Zeitgeist specifically should just be written down in the notes section of the character sheet? Also, can we buy rare items like grenades with our initial money?

Yes and yes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lord of Bore posted:

Quick question, what's the situation with Backgrounds? Not using them?

I knew I forgot something. Backgrounds are fine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

djw175 posted:

I asked this over PMs because I didn't want to doublepost, but I may as well post it here. Does two-fisted shooter work for pistols and stack with speed loader?

Sorry, I have to change my answer. Two-Fisted Shooter does not actually decrease load times. Hand crossbows are already load free, it just normally requires an empty hand. You'd need something else to make pistols load minor. The off-hand wielding, one-handed loading, and free crit attack would still work though.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 1, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

Is there an irc for this game?

No.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Androc posted:

A few questions:
Are additional martial scientist techniques detailed anywhere? There's only the one in the theme description, and while I get that not knowing what's coming is sort of the intent, it would be good to at least have a general idea of what I'm getting into.
Flavor-wise, would it be acceptable to have an 'implement' that's just a magic gun? I love the whole firearms aspect of the setting but there's, like, three classes that actually use ranged weapons as it turns out.

It's a secret :ssh:

And sure, there's no problem with reskinning implements as guns that shoot magic.

Possible ranged-weapon classes include: Ranger, Rogue, Thief, Executioner, Warlord, Artificer, Bard, Seeker, Hunter. Defenders kind of get screwed there, but a Fighter with dual 18s in Strength/Dexterity would at least be able to mark at range, and have a decent ranged basic attack out of the box.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I'm not sure how to make a sheet for Orokos, and my googling informs me that I have to have a subscription to some WotC thing to actually get the file extension Orokos wants. Is it okay if I whip one up my character sheet in Googledocs instead?

Just so long as you don't mind all the math.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Obligatum VII posted:

This sounds quite interesting. I'm currently mulling over two ideas, which do you think would fit better in your game?

Either one. Pick whichever you want to play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Weapon Expertise (Staff) won't do anything for you. Take the Essentials Staff Expertise feat instead. You could also take Resilient Focus instead of Human Perseverance for a larger bonus to saves.

4E FEATS :hurr:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 1, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Theme: Vekeshi Mystic. I'm not sure how to get it in the character builder.

We'll just have to settle for theme stuff in the combat blocks, once the game is started.

You could take War Wizard's Expertise for the bonus with arcane blade attacks, and an added -5 penalty to friendly fire.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

potatocubed posted:

Presenting Unit 9, warforged fighter.

You've got two feats too many. Also look into the Essentials Axe Expertise feat, which has the attack bonus and an added reroll of a single 1 in your damage dice.

What's Unit 9's theme?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

potatocubed posted:

Martial Scientist. I thought I'd added that in the notes but I'm far from an expert with the character builder.

Those two feats are skill training to get the training in History that comes with the theme and Linguist to get the bonus language (Primordial) that all PCs get. I wasn't sure how to edit it directly.

Alright, my bad. I didn't even notice that bit about free Primordial in the language sidebar. I'll add it to the OP.

frankenfreak posted:

Are you okay with hybrids?

Hybrids are fine.

Korhal posted:

Any idea how to add extra feats to the offline builder? The house rules option is just replacing my previous feat selection instead of giving me additional ones.

Also am I correct in assuming speed loader + eldritch fusillade expertise will stack and allow me to load a firearm as a minor?

For extra feats in the legacy builder, left-click the little yellow house down where it says "Feat Choice Checklist--X choices to make." And yes, those two feats would make guns load minor. You do need Crossbow Caster first, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gently caress ammunition tracking, except for grenades. As long as you have a suitable pack of ammo on your person, you can use ranged weapon powers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes, if your Technologist pet was using a gun, you would need actions to command it to reload.

If you were willing to forgo the High Crit/Brutal 2 for your pet's attack, you could just say it's shooting energy darts or something with no reloads necessary.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 1, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reskin all you like, but no mechanical changes. Ain't no rule says a spore can't play basketball explode in flames.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm afraid not. It doesn't look like Warlocks or Swordmages get any ranged weapon powers, either.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As long as you've got enough surges left :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crossbows.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Androc posted:

Are dragonmark feats allowed?

Not yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sure.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unarmored Agility would give you +2 to AC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Look into the Essentials Axe Expertise feat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ArkInBlack posted:

Pretty sure that means yes, and the mental image it conjures is slaying me. GUN, WAND. GUNWAND.

You could also have a Carbine/Staff for melee weapon, ranged weapon, and implement attacks with no item switching necessary.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

I'm not sure if it'd be too ridiculous to have some kind shotgun attachment to the underside of the crossbow. It'd make it a bit easier to fight, but it's not a big deal to me to just swap between the two if it's a stretch.

It would have to be only one shot per encounter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Daeren posted:

(Docker's a more appropriate Leader theme for Bharhash than Skygazer, so I assume he's made a name for himself in Flint with his "war stories." I'm not too experienced with 4e, but I've played a bit of it before, so I'm not a total newcomer to the system.)

You don't necessarily have to take a leader theme just because you've got a leader class. Some of the roles seem a bit off anyway. Yerasol Veteran is a lot more leader than defender, for example.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 3, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Question: I have a character idea in mind, but none of the Zeitgeist themes really fit (a heretical deva excommunicated and banished a few lifetimes ago from Crisillyir with a few funny ideas about religion and morality). Should I just use a non-Zeitgeist theme and refluff? Or, uh...try really hard to jam it into one of the Zeitgeist themes?

I get the feeling you're not actually meant to roll with someone who has any sort of connection to Crisillyir but TOO BAD.

The Zeitgeist themes are generally much stronger than normal themes, and also grant extra information to PCs once in a while.

What sort of heretical ideas did you have in mind? Would they draw your character to non-Clericist philosophies(Eschatologist, Skyseer, Vekeshi Mystic) or other things considered new and dangerous by the heirarchy(Gunsmith, Technologist)? Or maybe they come from inborn abilities that the Clergy would deem heretical(Spirit Medium)?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 4, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A street preacher would totally work as a Docker. I'll look into alternate rules for rituals.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Recruiting will be closed on Monday.

Make sure to get portraits or backgrounds if you don't already have them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some very tentative houserules for rituals:

If the ritual doesn't create an item, you may cast it for free. If the ritual normally requires a focus, having this focus lets you roll twice for relevant skill checks and use the higher roll. During extended rests, you may also pay the regular casting cost to prepare a single ritual scroll. This scroll lasts until it is used as a standard action to complete the ritual.

Sound good?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 7, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Flame112 posted:

Will I need to find some way to reload in the middle of a Ranger's Twin Strike attack or some other power than gives more than one attack? Or is that just gonna be handwaved away?

Edit: Nevermind, I just found the part of the rules explaining this. For anyone else wondering, you can't use stuff like twin strike without using two guns or having an ammo clip.

If you can get reloading down to a minor action, it'll work like it does for crossbows where you can use the whole power before you have to reload.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anything that's already posted can be completed tomorrow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll be going to bed soon, so I hope this has been time enough. First and foremost let me say thanks to everyone who showed interest and applied, and sorry to everyone I didn't pick. It's not because your character was bad! It is because you are bad

If this wasn't my first PBP ever, I'd consider making two threads for two parties. Here are my picks for this game:

Unit 9, played by potatocubed
Bran Owain, played by Lord of Bore
F.R.E.D., played by Gharbad the Weak
Cha Ravah, played by ProfessorCirno
Hawthorn, played by Ryuujin
Cryss Portman, played by frankenfreak

I will post the OP just as soon as everyone has lost interest and forgotten about it. In the meantime, please fill in some combat blocks:

pre:
(Character Name with Orokos link)
HP(Temps):   XX/XX(--)    AC:      XX    P.Insight:      X
Surges(Value):   XX/XX    Fort:    XX    P.Perception:   X
Initiative:         +X    Reflex:  XX    Action Point:   X
Speed:               X    Will:    XX    Vision:   xxxxxxx

At-Wills            Encounters              Dailies
x                   [ ] x                   [ ] x
x                   [ ] x                   [ ] x
                    [ ] x

Current Status:
(This space will be for tracking End-of-Turn, Save Ends, and other temporary effects)

Conditional Modifiers:
(This space is for reminders of anything you have that's always available, but has
specific triggers or requirements)

and also post a few lines about your character's first impressions of his/her/its teammates.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't forget your Aspects.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Please post your combat block.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alright. Working on the OP now, hopefully to post tonight or tomorrow.

One last note: each character has an RHC badge, stamped via Arcane Mark and enchanted so that it briefly shines when its proper owner is wearing it and utters the RHC motto, "Numquam Auxilia Denegat"--"Never Found Wanting" in the ancient tongue. If you identify yourselves as Royal Constables, worthy citizens of Risur will be more willing to cooperate with you. Ne'er-do-wells and people with a guilty conscience, on the other hand, might become tight-lipped, mistrustful, or even hostile.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:siren:IT BEGINS:siren:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A creature can only have one Warlock's Curse at a time. The feat Accursed Coordination lets you Curse a creature that has somebody else's Curse, and gives you combat advantage against creatures with multiple Curses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So how would your character pick somebody shady out of a big crowd? How would they know what to look for? Roll some skills, play some role, w/evs :justpost:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 10, 2014

• Locked thread