Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nice photos! Wish I'd made it to the protest too, but I was still feeling pretty groggy after Sinus Headache Saturday and totally forgot it was on. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ammonsa posted:

Ahaha what options are there for a high school dropout who got fired from her job. Should I kill my are self now?

What sort of experience do you have, and what would you be looking for next? What part of Australia are you in?

One thing you could look into is try volunteering somewhere. Yes, it's shithouse that you'll be working for free, but if you're at the rock bottom point anyway, it can be a good way to keep yourself active, pad up your resume, and get some good references if you don't have many.

Ideally try and find somewhere you can bum some fringe benefits off them without looking like a total mooch and getting on their bad side. I really lucked out with my volunteering by going to some nice community gardens. I got a fair bit of free food from either the gardens or their morning teas.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ammonsa posted:

Well I've got waiting experience, but my boss isn't going to give me a reference now so haha. I'm in Canberra, just trying to apply for places but I don't have a car and public transport is shithouse here. So I'm limited to the southern area of Canberra realistically, honestly I'm just having a lot of trouble finding places that don't require qualifications I don't have in Canberra.

Canberra, huh? I don't know much about the city, but if you're greenie-inclined enough to follow Auspol and are looking for a place to network, I'd recommend checking out the monthly Green Drinks group. The guy running it used to run the group here in Brisbane before he moved, and is pretty drat cool.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

froglet posted:

Today at my racist workplace I was told I was getting a key... Because I'm white. :smith:

I pointed out that most mass murderers in recent years were white. DB Cooper was white. Most of the serial killers caught so far are white... But that's OK because apparently only white people commit "interesting" crimes.

:suicide:

Wha?! Did they actually explicitly tell you it was cause you're white?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

froglet posted:

Nah, coworker mentioned I was getting g a key, and I said "already?! What if I'm a burglar? I've only been here a month". Cue him telling me that coz I'm white it's all good.

Had a meeting a little earlier, was told I was picking up the job and fitting in nicely. I feel kinda weird about it. On the bright side, my boss is getting promoted and they're now in the process of finding her replacement. Maybe the next one will be less terribly racist? :shobon:

Ah, that's not a whole lot better! Glad to hear you're getting another shot at maybe having a less racist boss, though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mills posted:

assuming we can find some way to guarantee it's actually going to a forklift licence.

:shrug:

How about if he doesn't bring it to show off at the next goonmeet, we don't buy him drinks!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This isn't strictly Auspol, but applicable to anywhere with wealth inequality, worker exploitation, flawed welfare programs, and any similar weak points of capitalism (ie: everywhere)

This week is International Basic Income Week! I don't think there's any events going on here in Australia, but on the internet there's a series of talks with experts coming up on Reddit, a worthy pool of horrible opinions ripe for some changing:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BasicIncome/wiki/amaseries

I've started reading the first one already, and it had a lot of interesting arguments that even a BI groupie like me had not considered before:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2ggt2c/basic_income_ama_series_im_karl_widerquist/

Or if you really can't bear to look at anything on reddit, this article was a pretty good read that I'm trying to share around.

If you've already heard all about basic income and know it's great and all, I encourage you to take this week to try and reach out to discuss it or introduce it to others. If you have no clue what the hell basic income is or why it would be any good, try joining or following one of those reddit discussions, where those experts will be taking on your questions.

I'm also always willing to babble at length about it here, and while I have no economic qualifications I'm told I can make a good video game analogy.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sanguine posted:

Please give me a destiny analogy for basic income. tia

While some people fear that basic income will ruin all motivation to ever work at anything, even in this worst-case scenario the new army of bludgers will have to spend all their ill-gotten entitlement money (taken at the point of a gun, no less) on something. While they stay home and bludge and play video games, with the stability of a basic income, they may even be able to afford inflated Australian video game prices on a big-budget game like Destiny. And thus, the hard-working video game developers will continue to be compensated for their hard work and arise as the new elite.

(due to my not having played Destiny before, this analogy may suffer from reduced seriousness)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sanguine posted:

God drat, the RTS player in me just wants to put every cent into basic income while taxing the poo poo out of anyone on more than $50k a year.
(video game analogies for the new century :gaben:)

Minmax the economy! By spending a small amount of minerals on building drones now, you can harvest all the more vespene gas.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gough Suppressant posted:

Coming soon to Steam Early Access: Super Turbo Mosque HD

I prefer the retro classics like Super Mosqueo Brothers

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hey guys, don't forget that 1 in 6 believe the "no means yes" crap, too!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mills, I'm going to come clean. The whole "Streets of Darkness" thing just started as a joke cause I was curious how you would act or if any possible empathy could be induced from you having to actually play the role of a person in the situation of being homeless.

Your biting at the idea made me want to actually do it, especially since I'm now volunteering with an organization that lets me meet and talk to actual homeless people, which may help me write with added realism. But I'm finding it hard to translate this to an actual campaign. I'm worried that if I make it realistic and challenging enough, it will just bore and frustrate or depress all the other players. I'm also concerned that if you come at it from JP World-of-Darkness land, you'll just go into fantasy mode and kind of spoil the point. But then, trying to get out of homelessness by acting like some action RPG PC may be amusing in its own right.

Just putting it out there in case you have suggestions!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think this is a marginal step up from the previous one, though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shux posted:

If you can be "radicalised" by vandalism of a mosque doesn't that support the fear of the public?

Hey, long time no see, Shux. Welcome back. I've started reading a lot more Reddit these days, so I'm feeling especially charitable towards our rare Auspol dissidents.

Let me try and explain it this way.

We can't actually keep all Muslims out of Australia, right? We shouldn't even want to, but even in the case that we did, we couldn't keep them all out. Of the ones that are here, I imagine you want them to integrate into the community and not think of themselves as separate and opposed to it, right? They should see themselves as Australian and want to support the country they live in, right?

This kind of stuff doesn't exactly help.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shux posted:

The point isn't that they are Muslim and should integrate to an Australian way of life. It's that some random idiot can send people into a death spiral by messing with an inanimate object (Quran/Mosque/cartoon of Muhammad). Anyone that far unhinged is cause for concern.

If it really was just a snap reaction like that, where "dude defaces Quran" = "killing time", then sure, that person is a violent nutbar. But beyond that isolated nutbar, those actions have a longer, more subtle effect on the larger community.

Especially in the case of a mosque, that's a bit more than just an "inanimate object". Some racist jerk defacing a cartoon or Quran that they have in their possession might be distressing, just like me going into Reddit and reading some idiotic opinions might be distressing. But those idiots are out who knows where, it's not like they're actually in my face saying "get hosed you loonie leftie" and making me feel physically threatened or uncomfortable by directly confronting me in person. But if they were writing those same dumb opinions on the wall of my home, or on the wall of the sustainability center where I've volunteered, (I don't go to church so had to pick a different example) I might be a lot more worried and start to feel actually threatened.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shux posted:

Sorry, are you saying that a violent reaction is acceptable if you feel your beliefs or ideology are made fun of or dismissed as idiotic right in front of you over a certain time period? An Auspol meetup could get very nasty in person.

I'm not sure if you have traveled much, but this isn't only an Islamic problem. It's religion itself. Visit minority religions in different countries/cultures and they all face the same problems from real life Reddit & youtube idiots depending on the culture the moron was burn into. Violence and Religion walk hand in hand but Muslims seem to actively search for it at the moment.

If you think burning crosses and cartoons in a newspaper of a fictional character are the same thing and justify absurd levels of violence I'm not sure what to tell you.

No, let me make it clear - I'm not trying to argue that any violent reactions are okay.

The main thing I'd like to argue is that discriminating against Muslims and acting out against them as a whole group through things like vandalism is stupid and harmful. Precisely because most of the people who will be affected by this vandalism are NOT violent, and yet it incites more hatred and violence against them.

But for a person who approves of the vandalism or can't be bothered to give a poo poo about it, it's pointless to try and make them care about a Muslim's feelings. So instead, it's worth pointing out the problems with vandalism in terms of what it means for THEM: whatever radical or violent Muslims may be out there, actions like this could radicalize them further, putting ~Team Australia~ in more danger!

It's merely an attempt to appeal to their self-interest to stop the bad behavior, rather than appeal to their selective kindness.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Seagull posted:

I remember when I used to think Dawkins owned.

Dark times.

His scientific knowledge does still own, he does such great illustrative analogies sometimes. I just wish I could enjoy them without feeling like I have to qualify it all over the place. :(

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shux posted:

Yes, it might 'push them over the edge', but they would have to be in a pretty bad way already. I'm not certain if a hug is going to fix someone that far gone. I guess the point is you have to accept there will always be morons out there doing stupid things and it's impossible to stop unless the Left wants to get on board locking idiots up or starting some good old fashion "re-education camps".

So we're all in agreement that the vandals are morons doing stupid things? Was there anyone suggesting something beyond just complaining about them and wanting to argue about just how stupid they were? Not sure what we're discussing then.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Morning goons, don't forget it's climate action day today, get your rear end out there!

Canberra: 10:30am, ANU University, Chifley Meadows (outside the library, near Union Court)

Brisbane: 11am, Queens Park

Melbourne: 11am, State Library (then marching to Treasury Gardens)

Adelaide: oh wait, Adelaide's was yesterday

Sydney: 12pm, Bicentennial Park, Glebe

Hobart: 1pm, MONA at Berriedale

Perth: 1pm, Russell Square

And whether or not you're going to join a rally, you can get in some more direct action on this page for a crowdfunded solar thermal project:

http://corenafund.org.au/september-21-day-of-real-climate-action/

The current donors include Scott Ludlam!

(whoah, thanks dudes who got in enough posts just before me, I wasn't even checking if this would be a snipe!)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Big turnout in Brissy for the march today! And there was a pretty good Abbott impersonator wandering around. I made sure to tell him he must be the most popular guy at the protest.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If you say "sou desu ne" a lot, that'll fake you through about half of it. If you're lucky, "irasshaimase" when the customers come in will be the other half of it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If only all the members of The Beards would get arrested or questioned just for looking suspicious, that might be the only way to get through to Australia that we've gone too far.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Joe Hockeys Scrote posted:

it's actually a highly sophisticated socio cultural analysis

Does this Muslim subculture like anime?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

IWC, I believe you have owned everybody with your arguments and you win. I don't want to be like that white apologist in the hijab that you were banging on about before, I want to agree with your enlightened perspective on things and thus be correct. I want to take on board the specific points you were making about what we should think about all Muslims, and what we should DO about all Muslims, and agree with them wholeheartedly.

Uh, just list them for me though cause I can't seem to find them.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Maybe we should be embracing this team rhetoric. Australia just needs to stop kicking own goals against their own drat team.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tirade posted:

I don't know. But compare your willingness to denounce an entire million-strong organization and the vast majority of work they do because they have backward conservative views and a small number of them have engaged in criminal behaviour, versus your outrage when the Sheehans of the world do the same about Islam.

An organization consists of many people, but it is not a person itself. It does not deserve to be personified or protected as if it were a minority. I'm sure there are many nice ordinary people working on the lower rungs of Monsanto just to get a paycheck and feed their families, does this mean for their sakes we should never complain about what their employer is doing? Is protesting Monsanto the same thing to you as writing "DIE" and "MUSLIMS ARE EVIL" on some community's mosque?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

by the way, IWC-sensei I want to join Team Australia and help you in your fight against the rest of these crazy lefties, but I'm still waiting for you to explicitly state what your actual opinion is! But I understand your time is valuable so I'll try and make it into a nice organized list for you~~

- What should my opinion be on:
A. The Muslim community as a whole
B. Any given Muslim person I see in Australia

- What should I do if I see a Muslim

- How should I react to stuff like that "MUSLIMS ARE EVIL" graffiti, and should I be doing any myself

- As a white person, what should I be feeling about my race and doing with my life instead of "endlessly atoning for what we have inflicted on other parts of humanity"? You seem to be implying this is a bad thing, but I just don't understand!!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Seagull posted:

fwiw IWC's genuine opinion was being a crazy lefty like us Bifauxnen.

I'm trying to develop the character arc

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Just think it through yourself, maybe go visit a mosque or islamic centre on an open day to educate yourself about Islam/

Okay I gotta applaud this reply, honestly. I laughed for real.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

by the way, IWC-sensei I want to join Team Australia and help you in your fight against the rest of these crazy lefties, but I'm still waiting for you to explicitly state what your actual opinion is! But I understand your time is valuable so I'll try and make it into a nice organized list for you~~

Hey Soag,

- What should my opinion be on:
A. The Muslim community as a whole
B. Any given Muslim person I see in Australia

- What should I do if I see a Muslim

- What should I do if I see a Muslim WITH A BEARD

- How should I react to stuff like that "MUSLIMS ARE EVIL" graffiti, and since you're at least not just trolling I won't ask you a super dumb question like should I do it myself, but is there something different I should be doing to protest against the bad parts of Islam? What are the reasonable actions that should be taken?

- As a white person, what should I be feeling about my race and doing with my life instead of "endlessly atoning for what we have inflicted on other parts of humanity"? You seem to be implying this is a bad thing, but I just don't understand!! nah just skip this part

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Splode posted:

You shouldn't. Even Bifauxnen, usually an excellent poster who calmly answers people's arguments with rational, well thought out responses, is just making fun of soag and trolling IWC.

(I don't know why you people still think this when I feel like my brain's been on autopilot for months)

But actually - Soag, I didn't want to poke fun at you too much since you do seem to have a genuine opinion over there that it's possible to engage with. What I was trying to get at with my silly list was, even if we buy what you're saying about the beards, what do we actually do with that? Should we act different around someone when they have a beard? Treat them different? Same for proving that political Islam is becoming more prevalent than political Christianity. How should we treat any random given Muslim on the street differently once that we accept this knowledge? Just overall, how does this translate to what we should do in real life?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

T-1000 posted:

There's playing devil's advocate and shooting down bad arguments, and then there's pointless inflammatory shitstirring inside a tinderbox of moral outrage.

That line about searching for yourself and getting more educated on Islam was pure gold, though. I think I'm starting to appreciate his timing and craft now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

I wasn't even joking though. I've gone on a tour of the Auburn Gallipoli mosque as well as the beautiful central Paris one. I'd love to visit many of the notable ones around the world.

Well I should hope that one wasn't a joke. It was just the comedic timing that slayed me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rock Puncher posted:

I don't understand this mentality at all. All she is doing is what you would be doing if you didnt have her in your life, you know, the bare essentials to survival.

I don't understand this sentence. So you'd be doing it instead if you didn't have a housewife in your life, that means it doesn't count as work somehow? If you had to do that housekeeping stuff instead, it would be taking time away that you could be using for other things.

Like, if we didn't have McDonalds or Hungry Jacks etc etc we'd all just make our own hamburgers, so why should we pay to get a hamburger from them?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Well I'd be making veggie burgers, but I didn't want to be pedantic.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

*cough cough*basic income*cough*

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Rock Puncher posted:

So are we going to start setting KPI's at home, like 100 dishes done per day and you get the full basic income?

No. basic income is not paid for doing the dishes, it has nothing to do with house work. If anything it is a genuinely good idea for keeping a healthy population and keeping tax revenue moving/economy going in my opinion.

Haha, well in a figurative way, I guess. If all you do is stay home and look after the house, it's like you're getting paid for that as if it was a low-paying job. Then if you do it super-efficiently, you get more free time instead of more money. Or maybe you do get more money, cause you have time left to take on a part-time job while your kinda slow neighbor is taking forever just to do the dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Endman posted:

Who's got the October OP? It's the 1st tomorrow.

I was going to ask if anyone had dibs so I could do a Jojo OP, but after the Hierophant Greens and the LabORAORAORAORAORA party, I couldn't think of any suitable wordplay for the LNP.

• Locked thread