Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Reposting from last thread, cause i'm still interested in responses:

Asymmetrikon posted:

Apropos of nothing, I've a question for you all: what are your dream features for a virtual tabletop program (like MapTool or Roll20)? What would make your life easier as a DM or player? If you were to have a scriptable, moddable VTT, what would you want to be able to mess around with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Well, given the current board game renaissance, now's the perfect time to get into them.

(buy vlaada)

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm not saying it's a great game, but it's cheap and super easy to just shuffle the deck and have fun with it.

Bah why am I surprised with this kind of reaction when speaking about board games/rpgs, not like I'm new to the hobby.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

Eh, it's like 20-30 bucks for the one box. Compare to like, 80 for things like Ticket to Ride

I... what? Ticket to Ride is like, $50 max.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

Everywhere I've seen it has had it at 70 minimum, one store had it at 85.

http://www.amazon.com/Days-of-Wonder-DOW-7201/dp/0975277324/

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Does Hanabi count as a card game? Doesn't matter, you should buy Hanabi.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Well, older games tended to be more... loosely constructed, in a way. Individual rules were easier to peel off because systems tended to be sort of conglomerates of disconnected subsystems, and it wasn't terribly hard to ignore stuff you didn't like, cause it really didn't affect any of the other parts of the game. Nowadays, there's a tendency to more tightly design games as wholes made up of interacting parts, so it's harder to take a part out without disturbing the workings of the other subsystems.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

BrainParasite posted:

I've always been curious about this. Was old school D&D really as modular as the OSR claims or did the subsystems interact in subtle refined ways but everybody just ignored them and did whatever?

Well, if the stories are to be believed, D&D developed each of its little parts individually when Gygax was confronted with a new game situation that didn't fall under any of the rules that were already established (or at least, the set of rules that the players remembered at the time.) I'd doubt that the subsystems interacted in 'subtle, refined ways' - even newer RPGs can't manage that very well, and they actually attempt to have some kind of unifying system, unlike D&D.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Unless it got a hell of a lot better, when we tried it it wasn't very good. Which really sucks, it's a neat idea in theory.

e: referring to Storium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

That's kind of the trad games watchword, there.

• Locked thread