Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Judgement posted:

Okay, I am becoming slightly less worried about what I might be getting myself into. I only wish I had more familiarity with any potential source material so I had any idea what to play in such a setting.

There's no Al-Qadim material up on D&D Classics so I can't link you to anything; but I can recommend just leaving everything you think you know about the FR behind. By and large, the "exotic" settings have little in common with the usual Realms and are best approached on their own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weird NONE of that showed up. Get the box set, Judgement.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

What is the three-tier model?

Face, boobs, butt, duh.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zurui posted:

I know it's a hilarious stereotype, but some of us are quite athletic and outdoorsy.

Not you, of course.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That's a pretty cool Dark Ages of Camelot mod.

I'm curious as to what their total budget is because the $1 million they raised in Kickstarter backings is a bit low for a competitive project like this unless they have at least another $49 million in investments.

According to the article in Pathfinder Online: Thornkeep, the KS money was to make a tech demo to show (pre-arranged) investors.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I have no doubts that this is going to make Curt Schilling look like a financial genius by it's end. It seems like the standard, "Why can't we make the next big MMO?" project that ends in bankruptcy.

One big difference is that one of the leaders is Lisa Stevens, Paizo's CEO, who is famously business-savvy (especially for the RPG market) and has another very profitable property (Pathfinder itself) attached as well. It's not great - the whole idea about basically treating launch as a running target like the Gmail beta or something is really bad - but PFO is in a way better position than say, City of Titans, and it has better financial people on it right now than Curt Schilling did.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

Hopefully between this and "Unchained" I look forward to the Paizo fan base eating their own.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Unchained or the Paizo fan base, unless you want to provoke an internecine nerd war or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Didn't someone try to make a Fate/Stay Night hack in FATE on this forum? I can't remember how it went, but I remember somebody tried. Maybe it'd be better in PbtA?

Do it on the fly. IN NEXT!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Swags posted:

That sounds like an incredible way to refluff binding.

I think my backstory for my new one is going to be as follows: The DM said the world was wrecked by magic once. A while back something bad happened and it made it so that if too much high level magic existed in one place, the world would start spitting out all these crazy Wild Magic-ish type effects. So the nations of the world came together and decided to basically have a universal moratorium on high level magic. Well, something recently has happened and this city at the middle of where all the countries meet has somehow shattered the anti-magic barrier, so now magical people are beginning to flock there. We're supposed to be playing emissaries from each of the separate countries out to get what we can for our homeland.

I actually wanted to be the descendant of the guy that caused the initial conflagration. I think I'm going to say it was Karsus, the vestige, and bind him.

Considering that is the actual plot of Karsus, that works quite well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

That 0:37 mark has never been more appropriate.

On a serious note, after I complete my F&F of Spears of the Dawn (whenever that is), I have some other planned books to review. I was thinking of doing Ponyfinder Campaign Setting, Midgard Campaign Setting, Tome of Battle/Path of War, or Scarlet Heroes as my next thing. Although given my Ptolus thing being in hiatus, I'd probably do better sticking to a reasonably-sized books first.

Scarlet Heroes is good, do Scarlet Heroes!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Which are some cool non collectible (or living) Card games I can get?

Finally convinced a group of friends to pool our gaming moeny so we can buy new games every month. We're starting with Munchkin (because we should have it), but we have enough for one or two more.

Reason we're sticking with cards is that we want Munchkin and we can gather around 40€s each month. Yeah we're cheap.

I was considering Gloom, Chez Geek (I played it once and had a lot of fun), Bang or Aye Dark Overlord!.

edit: and next month I'm going to blackmail them all into buying the Battlestar Galactica board game.

Here's a different suggestion. If you want something cooperative, try the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It's really fun, and pretty well-designed. It's non-collectible and broken into essentially seasons of a giant adventure called an adventure path: there's a starter box set at about $50, then each month (for the next five months) after that is the next part of the adventure, which is sold separately for $30. The second adventure path just came out, called Skulls and Shackles - it's pirate themed, looks pretty cool. I'm not sure how they're doing it for Skulls and Shackles, but the first adventure's box set supported 4 players, and an add-on deck added more options and support for up to 6 players at a time across the entire adventure path.

Evil Sagan and I played a lot of it recently, and we really enjoyed it. Tough, but not too tough. It uses deckbuilding mechanics combined with traditional D&D fantasy stuff - so you're collecting magic scrolls and stabbing goblins with your new sword, but that's actually represented by shuffling through your deck, optimizing your mix of cards, and so on. It works really well!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wait, the first adventure path costs $160 in total?! $180 if you want the extra character options.

I understand there's a lot of hourage of play in there, but :monocle:

The thing to remember is that it's really built around the monthly model. Like it's time-wise sort of positioned as a thing you do with your board game group once a month, or you do instead of playing an RPG instead. Every month's release is six plus hours of new content (that's only playing through all of it once and succeeding every time and so on) of adventures and new hazards to overcome and new powers and stuff. (The base set is at least ten hours of content, and apparently they added MORE for Skulls and Shackles.) You get cool things to be excited about for next time and new challenges and so on.

Evil Sagan and I played through most of it in two weeks and the game works out really well for that kind of long play. It encourages persistence and long play and that sort of thing. Midway through you're not only creating a really good deck, but you're also switching up what's actually in the box and is generated for play, taking out weapons you don't like and keeping in the really good poo poo for example.

If anything, its weakness is that it's too persistent - if you have a game on the go, you can't take the box off the shelf and play it with a different group without loving the first game up.

It's very comparable, then. Is it an investment? Absolutely. But it's one that's worth the expenditure.

edit: Oh, and the Character Add-On Deck for Runelords is just new characters. It's not "buy this for cool new spells." it's four new classes and the extra base set cards needed for them (for example, a second Holy Water so you can make any six starter decks at once without running out of Holy Water cards.)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 11, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

inklesspen posted:

This sounds like the sort of videogame they ought to be making, rather than yet another stupid MMO. Make good online card games I can play with sane people on a sane timescale and I will throw money at you. (See also Dungeon Command's wasted potential.)

Obsidian is already making a computer version.

edit:

S.J. posted:

If you're going to play the PF Card game, ignore the original game and just pick up the new Skulls & Shackles base set. That way you don't have to deal with a shitload of errata as well, because the first game had to be errata'd to hell and back.

Pretty much. Not that it's unplayable, but it is the sort of game where you have the FAQ open on a smartphone the entire time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

The Pathfinder MMO makes perfect sense as the product of a company that charges you $160 for a card game.

$160 is about the going rate for a card game and five expansions. Nothing wrong with that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

Descent retails for 80 and the PF Card game will give you probably about the same amount of gameplay in the base set while being cheaper. I don't actually like the game that much myself but I think it's reasonable as to the value you get out of it.

Yeah, there's eight scenarios in the base set (a three-scenario introductory adventure, and the five scenarios in the first adventure path pack), each of which is an hour or more if you succeed at your first try. (We got a total party kill on our first try at the adventure path!)

And that's Rise of the Runelords, apparently they added more to the base set for Skulls and Shackles as a gameplay decision.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's okay to enjoy some expensive games! I've certainly dropped $100+ on too many game projects over the past few years. I just figured it would... you know... cost less than Pathfinder Adventure Game + Pathfinder Bestiary + Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition. I understand it's with the monthly model and all that, but the sticker shock is still severe when you add it up.
And of course you can't forget your Rise of the Runelords Messenger Bag and your Rise of the Runelords Bottle Opener! Oh, Paizo.

The Anniversary Edition also expects you to have the Bestiary 2 and 3, actually. It also references the Advanced Player's Guide and the GameMastery Guide, but both of those are okay to be read about in the resource document, apparently. And don't forget knowing about Varisia from the Inner Sea World Guide!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I sit corrected. :geno:

This also isn't including the third-party content they used, like the dominant and submissive prestige classes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Majuju posted:

Wait, so does Skull & Shackles require anything other than the base set?

None of the card game base sets require anything else (except the Character Add-On Deck if you have 5 or 6 players.) ARB and I are tossing the ball back and forth about the anniversary edition book for the RPG, which is completely different.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yup. With most OSR games, anything that isn't covered by the rules is "the GM decides, maybe with a roll of an appropriate stat" or "roleplay it".

Yeah, the quick and dirty system I usually see used is roll 1d20, if you roll your score or lower in the applicable ability score (GM's choice), then you succeed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now I'm wondering if you could do a whole game where stuff is tracked like that. Thieves might have "tool belts" to determine what small items they have handy, wizards would have to have enough pages in their spellbooks to copy a spell, and so on.

Isn't this sort of what Torchbearer does?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I'm at something like page 40 of the DND Next thread and something that came up repeatedly was that martial classes need +x weapons at certain points of their progression to keep up with monsters. Is this true across other d20 systems? Are there any rules of thumb for this?

It's true for "full-featured" d20 systems, like 3e and 4e D&D and Pathfinder. It's probably not the case in something smaller - the relevant mechanic is usually a monster quality called "damage reduction." PCs should be starting to see magic weapons by level 3 at the latest but usually it doesn't matter what type of magic weapon. Anything's good as long as they can use it and it has a +1 or higher.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And Next, which was designed to throw out all the good design from 4E in favour of appealing to grogs with ~tummyfeels~.

4E also assumes magic items, but actually provides rules for not using them (inherent bonuses), and assumes that everyone is using them/using inherent bonuses instead of gimping non-casters.

e; basically, don't play 3.x or Next, they are Bad Games. Play something good instead.

Like Pathfinder!

don't play pathfinder

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If those are the sorts of problems you're having, just go ahead and run Dungeon World. It is exactly what you want and it is a lot less formidable than it seems.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Quarex posted:

I wish I even knew someone planning on ever playing 5th Edition. The most anti-4th edition people I know all switched to Pathfinder permanently and have no interest in even giving 5th Edition a chance, which is extra-funny given that of course they are the target audience.

Oh well, at least the first editor of Dragon Magazine says 5th Edition is proof they finally realized that AD&D 1st Edition was better than anything that came after it. And he says this with joy. So it must be hitting some oldschool dudes just right!

Kim Mohan? Or is there someone I'm not thinking of?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tulul posted:

So I have been kicking around a game based on Southern Bastards and Justified; a game about small, hosed-up southern towns, sort of a new-Western thing. I live in the near-South and I've spent some time in the methier parts of Tennessee, so I'm not entirely bereft of personal inspiration, but I'm looking for more media to consume for ideas. Any good suggestions?

Dogs in the Vineyard is probably the game you want. It's certainly worth looking at.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I already wrote over 100,000 words on Pathfinder, I think I already made a decent case for it that I can refer back to forever. And to anybody that might point out D&D is a different game: you're adorable.

(Though these days I feel way more mellow about Pathfinder than when I wrote that. I was so cranky!)

You were but you weren't totally wrong. Like you had valid points even if a lot of them are ignorable/personally fine/whatever. And I say this as a person with a shelf and a half of Pathfinder stuff and running 3 Pathfinder games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm sure if I did Rise of the Runelords the bile would come right back like it never went away, but I feel like I spent most of what I had to say.

Oh, no, there's plenty more in Runelords. Even if they cut out the part about one ogrekin loving the vestigial twin in his mentally disabled brother's side.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gao posted:

Well now I'm actually glad the group I was in fell apart before we got a quarter of the way into this. Didn't expect that.

It's not in the printed material, luckily. The final version saves the explicit incest for a succubi dominatrix and her half-fiend submissive daughters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

And when you say "dominatrix" and "submissive", those are actually prestige classes they have, right? Or am I remembering something else?

Yep!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

I wouldn't exactly say you are correct more than you are full of poo poo after I just recently watched a gay man talk about how he couldn't hold hands with another man if he wanted to keep his job during that time period.

There's a difference between censorship and general oppression.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do we have a TG/TTRPG IRC chat? I only know of #boardgoons

#badwrongfun in general, #redhandofdoom for 3.5 and FATE, #persona for animes, and #acolyte for the 40k RPGs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

In the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure the players fight an adult dragon but it's more of a survival encounter. They even say in the description that the dragon's breath weapon would one shot a level 1 character. I haven't seen the Monster Manual but I imagine it's like 2E and a dragon anything is out of your league at level 1.

It might be like 3e and you could face a wyrmling white at level 1 if completely rested with good luck on your side.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

And really, there isn't any story either, unless you go out of your way. It's just a variety of board game scenarios to play through.

There is story, and it's told in an okay manner. There's not a TON of it, and there are definitely gaps, but Sagan and I had fun reading the backs of cards to each other and seeing how the plot developed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You stupid gently caress, #YesAllWomen emerged after people were loving murdered! If you want to make a stand for the position that dying is preferable to harassment, go ahead, but do so with the full knowledge that that's what you're doing.

gently caress off you loving semiliterate. I talk about players, and you come back with developers. Durr, durr, guess this means that readers are all thieves because of vanity publishers!!!

Right, and harassment, ruining peoples' lives, and pushing people out of social spaces is absolutely okay in context. This is a laughable argument about any intersection of feminism, why is it any different when it's ~tabletop gaming~?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Effectronica has a tendency to get really mad because people here in Trad Games actually care, instead of just giving lip service to any marginalized people and then going back to screwing naked elf chicks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Now we will continue with the inquisitorial game, but you have failed to realize that that game only works if someone is a) either inclined to listen to the interrogators or b) under the direct threat of torture. I would suggest shooting for b), because it is, at this point, infinitely more likely to work.

I don't get it. Why are you so invested in defending the literal scum of the earth? Sure, a lot of RPG players are shitheads just like developers are. Newsflash: we live in a kyriarchy, a really virulent one that is trying to encourage young impoverished women that they don't need feminism! They have it all okay! And you're co-opting language from that to defend the average white male consumer as a paragon of justice while insulting others for not thinking of oppression well enough. Why?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I'm not arguing for anything beyond "assuming people are bad because this somewhat-related group of people are bad is wrong". Not to mention that there's really no reason to say "RPG players are bad" if they are no worse than the average population unless you want to make a point. What point you could make with that that's coherent I have no idea.

It's like you ate a textbook on feminist media criticism and assumed that counted as learning something. Sorry, a stomachache in your tummyfeels does not make for knowledge.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

And yet monseigneur "Don't post insults" will, of course, remain silent here. But hey, no need for any kind of concrete response, just condescension. Does your mother know you're talking like this?

I understand it's hard out here being a conservative brony today, but in the real world (aka not Equestria), women don't have to get permission from their owners to post mean things on the Internet.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 25, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

WHY YES YES IT IS LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT INSTEAD WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE I LIKE MAKOTO AND REI

Bishies are passé. The real fashionable thing is having a crush on a grandmother who is secretly an oni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm guessing either very carefully selected at the inception of the society, or populated by AIs, vat-grown humans, or something similar. No idea about the second. For the first you need only look at the Utopian community movement of the 19th century to see how well that works. There's a reason "utopia" as it is normally spelled is a pun on "good place" (which would be "Eutopia") and "no place".

And to counteract that seriousness, what sort of bishies do you all prefer? Still vaguely masculine or CLAMP-style full on makeup and noodle arms? :cheeky:

CLAMP STYLE I WANT TO SEE CLAMP STYLE

• Locked thread