Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Ah, simple and elegant. Just the way to start a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Ningyou posted:

oh my gosh this so much

Also after looking at the blurb on the site I kind of want to try and run HARD-LIVING HARD-COURTING TWO-FISTED REGENCY CRIME PRINCESSES because holy poo poo why wouldn't i

Dibs on the Yakuza Princess! :cheeky:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

B-but... That's... that's not a handsome man...

Have you never heard of crossdressing before? :cheeky: :cheeky:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Why is Far West interesting again, and why is Skarka more interesting than any other failed heartbreaking kickstarter? Honest question; I've kinda got him mixed up in my head with the pundit guy and other people like that.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Who likes getting into internet slapfights? Just watching them is tiring enough.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Wait, why would I want to play myself in an RPG? I suck at everything. And even if I didn't, all of those post-apoc ideas sound like those "nothing to do but 'survive'" ones where the only happy ending is the one where you slash your own throat open in the pre apoc phase. And while noble doomed heroes is certainly viable (Polaris, Thou Art But A Warrior), that doesn't sound like the mood they want.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Besides, everybody knows that the interesting parts about post-apocalypses come well after whatever precipitated the end of stuff. That's why Fallout New Vegas is cool and, uh, RAGE is sad.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I'd like to skip directly to the fire-breathing-hotrod and crossbow stage of the Post-apocalypse.

I meant the "in what image shall we rebuild civilization" stage of the post-post-apocalypse.

But I'm the weirdo who'd rather play in pre-apocalypse or post-post-apocalypse settings over straight apoc/post-apoc settings.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

If I was rebuilding civilization, it would be with fire breathing hot rods and crossbows.

Oh and shoulder-pads, everyone would have to wear shoulder-pads.

That's the RAGE way of rebuilding civilization. Just everybody playing in the rubble. :colbert:

Effectronica posted:

Zombies are at their most symbolic when they're devastating cities and the world instead of menacing people in cheap Italian flicks, so you're not really fighting the undead monster, you're fighting societal discord, consumerism, authoritarianism, etc.

But you can get all of those things without zombies. In fact it'd probably be easier to highlight those themes without zombies, depending on if you're willing to set a game in, say, 1950s full Cold War paranoia USA and play the McCarthyism for all it's worth.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

It's nice to see that the apocalypse won't damage our supplies of hair dye and peroxide. Though apparently it will massacre our underwear stocks. Also all of those look lame.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

You talk about all this Disney stuff like it's supposed to be creepy, but to me it just sounds really impressive.

I can see it both ways. I can understand logistically why you'd want tunnels underneath the park to move people and heavy equipment (because trying to drive them through a theme park crowd would be a pain), and giving plants specific "understudies" would be a big help when you need to identify which ones are damaged and need to be replaced, like labelling parts on a motor. But, yeah, I can see how practically controlling two cities through "the power of happiness~" could be a little offputting.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Can you make a GURPS heartbreaker?

Oh HELL no. GURPS is ridiculous enough!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Just for clarity's sake, what are the big differences between the d20 OGL and, say, the FATE or GUMSHOE license? They seem pretty open.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

It feels weird reading about FATE shovelware. Possibly because it makes me feel that my ideas are doomed to failure :(

(Even worse, the sorts of ideas I'd like to try to write up would probably be utterly tasteless to run. Oh well.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

You couldn't apply the Fate series to just any system. You'd need a system that's good for PvP, since that's what Fate basically is.

Didn't someone try to make a Fate/Stay Night hack in FATE on this forum? I can't remember how it went, but I remember somebody tried. Maybe it'd be better in PbtA?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Everybody out of the closet! :toot::hf::gay:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gau posted:

Red Mage is dead.

Wait, do you mean literally dead?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I was in this one. I'm annoyed that my entry turned out to be a riff on freakin' RIFTS!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I don't have archives be quiiiiiet :smithicide:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

That's a very poorly lit picture. Also the guy looks kind of absurd with the "eeeevil" moustache goatee combo.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Hey, that's the wrong kickstarter! Spirit of '77 is somewhere else!

(Weren't the seventies kinda...eh? I seem to remember something saying that a lot of the nihilistic moods of the 1980s had their roots in events and reactions in the 1970s.)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

He did not disallow the word 'wizard'? :shobon:

Actually, Gradenko, I think you're pretty uniquely suited to give him an answer (assuming he's asking in good faith, which he, well, might not be). You can draw comparisons to stuff like War in the Pacific and War in the East, which are also hypercomplex games whose subsystems can spectacularly self-destruct and whose fan base is pretty similar. Draw comparisons between things like WitP's ahistorically ineffective mines, WitE's non upgrading rifle squads, and D&D 5e's encounter design flaws, and the like.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I don't get it. Is that a political cartoon about Pink Floyd or something?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

All I'm thinking when looking at those covers is "No! Bad Kingler! No pokeblocks for you!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Can we talk about bishies instead? I hate fratricide :ohdear:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

RPZip posted:

No, my friends, that will never be the verdict of our people. If they dare to come out in the open field and defend the grognard standard as a good thing, we will fight them to the uttermost. Having behind us the producing masses of this nation and the world, supported by the commercial interests, the laboring interests and the toilers everywhere, we will answer their demand for a grog standard by saying to them: You shall not press down upon the brow of trad games this crown of thorns, you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of grognardism.

Hey, William Jennings Bryan, good news, we're off the gold standard now. Bad news, evolution is the public education standard. Worse news, shouldn't you be dead?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FewtureMD posted:

Are bears on the table too? But re:bishies, that Free! show is pretty great.

Why yes yes it is let's talk about that instead who's your favorite I like Makoto and Rei

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Spincut posted:

I keep trying to ask my friends if this show actually has a plot or it's just a vehicle to stare at half-naked bishie boys and they basically stammer, "Uh, well, you see...there's SWIMMING...and...they have to fix a pool?

Did I mention swimming?"

So now, Davin, I pose this question to you. :v:

You ever see a sports anime where someone in the group of friends joins the bigshot rival team, and the rest of the friends make their own team to win the big tournament and win their friend back? It's kinda like that.

Mors Rattus posted:

Which one is the one who tries to swim in any pool of water greater than ankle deep? I like that one.

That's Haruka.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ettin posted:

It's 95% completed. At worst, I figure I'm no more than a week to 10 days behind schedule. Expect it in a couple weeks, when I'm done adding some sexy ghosts.

Are they shirtless bishie ghosts? Does the ectoplasm make them sparkle?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Don't make me start posting bishonen interventions again. I mean, I'm happy to do it, but I don't know if anybody else is.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

DocBubonic posted:

What do you mean by artificial?

I'm guessing either very carefully selected at the inception of the society, or populated by AIs, vat-grown humans, or something similar. No idea about the second. For the first you need only look at the Utopian community movement of the 19th century to see how well that works. There's a reason "utopia" as it is normally spelled is a pun on "good place" (which would be "Eutopia") and "no place".

And to counteract that seriousness, what sort of bishies do you all prefer? Still vaguely masculine or CLAMP-style full on makeup and noodle arms? :cheeky:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

Just the cultural expectation of freedom = good, less freedom = worse, more freedom = better, psychologists = tricky little devils who will remove your free will with their jedi mind tricks.

It's all very silly and based on a juvenile understanding of freedom and psychology, but it'll be really hard to break people past that.

Heh? I've never heard that sentiment outside of Scientology. Where's that from?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Intervention time!

Okay, you had the Free!...and you had the CLAMP...and I don't think we serve bara here, you'll have to talk to FewtureMD or Waffleman about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

And that is why all the best campaigns end with a large pile of dead god corpses.

Shin Megami Tensei series, anybody?

(Someone run one of those that doesn't crash out so early, pleaaaaaaase :pray:)

• Locked thread