Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Anatharon posted:

What is 'grog', when'd Winson quit moddin' and who's this new dude? :colbert:

Grog: Short for grognard. Charitably speaking, grognards are folks who don't like these new-fangled ways of pretending to be elves, and like how the games worked back in the day. Uncharitably speaking, a whole lot of people we call grognards are getting called that because they're actively hateful or bigoted people, who don't just prefer a different way, but will fight tooth and nail to make that the only way.

Winson quit modding...Last month, I believe? That is, August.

Which new dude? Ettin? Ettin's been around for a long time, just recently changed the avatar, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Right, but if I get them online then I don't get to pick the color, is what I'm saying. Like, I want a red set and a blue set, but if I order them from GW or Amazon then they'll be a random color.

I believe what they're saying is to buy a cube, then buy a regular set of small d6s in the color you want, and just accept that you'll have extra d6s laying around.

That said, have you got a hobby shop around at all? I find that almost all of them tend to at least carry the GW dice cube, even if they're mostly an RC car or train focused shop.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
I kind of see two big challenges to the new-player-focused RPG concept, depending on which angle you go for:

-Digitally enhanced, mechanically focused, etc. At that point, why should the player engage with this game that actively requires people be available to play, and specific people at that, when they could just play an RPG videogame like Skyrim, or an MMO? Sure, they won't get as much choice, but they'll get a fair bit(especially in the combat range, where most of the obvious choice in tabletop RPGs occurs anyways), with some slick graphics, and they can play it at 3 AM in their underpants if they so choose.

-Super fiction-focused, stripping as much of the mechanical slog out as possible. Your Fiascos of the world. At that point, why should the new player engage with these, when they could instead mess with the far more popular straight-up freeform roleplaying? Sure, it doesn't even have a whiff of balance or mechanical stuff, but you can play out all the drama you want, and if you're in the right crowds, it's super easy to find a cool-sounding game to drop into.

Now, I'm sure there are answers to this, a balance that makes RPGs an appealing thing in their own right. Something that'll make them more interesting to the folks who would normally lean to one of the two other 'big' options. I just don't know what those answers are, especially if we're not going for god-king "I'll just enforce a boxed set on the shelf of every toy store in America" stuff.

• Locked thread