Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Greg Jackson posted:

Didn't Hendo just get married? Bjpenn.com reposted hendo's picture of 30 cases of beer with the comment they "held their annual Pig roast this past weekend"

Yea, he posted it on facebook and I posted it in last month's thread a little while ago

Edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Maybe they were talking about dan and one of his buddies having a spit roast

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
I've been talking about this idea for a while and wishing it was a thing for Fight Pass/Fight Night cards on FS1 and it looks like they finally will be

quote:

@Jason_Floyd 1h
Another programming reminder for tonight, Countdown to UFC Fight Night 50 premieres at 9p ET/6p PT on Fox Sports 1

Hopefully they've realized after the UFC176 and 177 debacles that they need to build more stars and I think that doing Bellator like vignettes/biography pieces on lesser known/smaller time fighters is a good start.

Bellator plays like a little clip detailing their lives and poo poo before every fight, even the undercard poo poo and they already do it on The Ultimate Fighter first episode, I think it'd be neat for more fighters to get some semblance of character so it's not just two generic assholes slugging it out

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

I've been talking about this idea for a while and wishing it was a thing for Fight Pass/Fight Night cards on FS1 and it looks like they finally will be

Hopefully they've realized after the UFC176 and 177 debacles that they need to build more stars and I think that doing Bellator like vignettes/biography pieces on lesser known/smaller time fighters is a good start.

Bellator plays like a little clip detailing their lives and poo poo before every fight, even the undercard poo poo and they already do it on The Ultimate Fighter first episode, I think it'd be neat for more fighters to get some semblance of character so it's not just two generic assholes slugging it out

UFC already does this. They do lots of features on the Fight Nights and there's a countdown to the Fox shows that airs on Fox. It's good to do more but it isn't going to make much of a difference since no one watches FS1.

Edit: They definitely need to cut down on the talking head segments. They generally add nothing other than 2 guys pick 1 fighter and the other picks the other. If they aired more features like the one they aired on Costa (before he got thrashed) they'd be better off. You can't do one for everyone though, maybe one or two more? With Bellator I never remember a thing about the fighters because every Russian and Brazilian gets the same translator and all the packages look the same.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 2, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: They definitely need to cut down on the talking head segments. They generally add nothing other than 2 guys pick 1 fighter and the other picks the other. If they aired more features like the one they aired on Costa (before he got thrashed) they'd be better off. You can't do one for everyone though, maybe one or two more? With Bellator I never remember a thing about the fighters because every Russian and Brazilian gets the same translator and all the packages look the same.

They think they need an announcers desk like football but it just dilutes the product

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Greg Jackson posted:

They think they need an announcers desk like football but it just dilutes the product

I wish they would use that time to talk about techniques and tactics instead of trying to emulate the talking heads of football broadcasts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I wish they would use that time to talk about techniques and tactics instead of trying to emulate the talking heads of football broadcasts.

Soto is facing the opportunity of a lifetime! What do you think, Brian Stann

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Greg Jackson posted:

Yuriy mentioned Chael on twitter and without him it really does. He was the only person on those panels who could really sell a fight. Cormier is OK at it, but needs work.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Greg Jackson posted:

Soto is facing the opportunity of a lifetime! What do you think, Brian Stann

Yeah, I'd rather hear about whether a certain fighter should chain certain takedowns than hear about why tattooed fighter #37 has a ton of grit.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Greg Jackson posted:

I dunno I liked the strikezone stuff they'd do on the Fox broadcasts, but they really need to do that level of analysis before every televised fight (also the fake slowmo effect is pretty cool).

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Just no more meat puppets, ever again

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Pettis is going to be on the Wheaties box. Jon Jones is not. This makes me smile.

Eat poo poo, Jon Jones.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gregor Samsa posted:

Pettis is going to be on the Wheaties box. Jon Jones is not. This makes me smile.

Eat poo poo, Jon Jones.

I grew up with a ton of people that look and act like Pettis so yeah, this.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I grew up with a ton of people that look and act like Pettis so yeah, this.

Did you find it hard to attract females while hanging out with such fine pieces of rear end?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Is anyone else really really hyped for this week's card?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Is anyone else really really hyped for this week's card?

Me, I am.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This is actually a pretty decent looking card on FS1. Glad I get that channel!

code:
Ronaldo Souza vs. Gegard Mousasi
Alistair Overeem vs. Ben Rothwell
Derrick Lewis vs. Matt Mitrione
Michael Chiesa vs. Joe Lauzon
Nik Lentz vs. Charles Oliveira
John Moraga vs. Justin Scoggins
Rodrigo Damm vs. Al Iaquinta
Chris Camozzi vs. Rafael Natal
Chris Beal vs. Tateki Matsuda
Chas Skelly vs. Sean Soriano

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Yes twofold - good card and im not travelling for a change. Trying to rustle up some Brisbane people to get drunk at 11am on a Saturday

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'd have been down for that except I left Australia forever a week ago.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Mark Hunt has brain damage and it's giving him depression, this is for the win.

yeah that guy is gonna end up in terrible trouble if he doesn't stop getting in fights like the jds and bigfoot fights

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I basically became a Mousasi fan after what he did to Jardine. I don't remember what Jardine did in that fight for them to get a draw but he received a seriously loving beating and I really appreciated Mousasi for it.

I like Jacare though so it is a tough call who I want to win this one. I want to see a monster destroy in the UFC and unfortunately that keeps not happening (I can't remember what happened in the carmont fight but it went to a decision because carmont is terrible) and was hoping we'd get to see more gator chomps. Tough call. I don't think Mousasi can put it together for Weidman though so Souza may be a better opponent if this is a title contender bout, which it basically sounds like.

edit: this is after weidman defeats belfort of course

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Meowbot posted:

I basically became a Mousasi fan after what he did to Jardine. I don't remember what Jardine did in that fight for them to get a draw but he received a seriously loving beating and I really appreciated Mousasi for it.

I like Jacare though so it is a tough call who I want to win this one. I want to see a monster destroy in the UFC and unfortunately that keeps not happening (I can't remember what happened in the carmont fight but it went to a decision because carmont is terrible) and was hoping we'd get to see more gator chomps. Tough call. I don't think Mousasi can put it together for Weidman though so Souza may be a better opponent if this is a title contender bout, which it basically sounds like.

edit: this is after weidman defeats belfort of course

Jardine took an illegal upkick and then used his lovely wrestling to not die the rest of the fight

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

LobsterMobster posted:

Jardine took an illegal upkick and then used his lovely wrestling to not die the rest of the fight

Ah yes the infamous "herky jerky" routine got him into some trouble again. That is pretty much a perfect response to the fight thank you.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Jardine got outstruck by a margin of something like 7 to 1 in that fight. He also managed to take Mousassi down 6 times. It was one of those fights that no one came out of looking good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jardine wrestled the crap out of Mousasi in that fight, to the point where children in the audience were yelling out wrestling instruction to Mousasi from 10 rows back.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
That was a pretty bad decision and despite spending most of the fight in top control Jar Dine hit him maybe once. Just old Kev's opinion... figure you guys can take it or leave it.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

from helwani's twitter

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

heeebrew posted:

from helwani's twitter

What is happening here

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think Fedor is fighting Lesnar or someone is Zangief or something

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009
I think that's Barnett trying to call out Brock, he might've said that on Helwani's show before.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there is a running "joke" on the MMA Hour that Helwani is Barnett's manager. Barnett called out Brock last time he was on (a couple of weeks ago).

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

question about fight pass; is there any way to stay logged in on the app or browser (Firefox)? I keep getting logged out after every session. cheers.

edit: also, do they hold back on putting on Fight Night shows too then? trying to watch the recent McGregor & Bispings fights but they're not there.

Unless youre in the UK (where McGregor's last fight was on broadcast tv) both of their last fights were Fight Pass exclusives so you'd be able to rewatch them from the moment they aired.

For the actual Fox fight night cards, I think the turnaround is only a few weeks as opposed to 2-3 months, but if you are in a country wihout a UFC tv deal (i just moved to one) you can stream them live/replay them right away with no problem.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah I am in the uk. thanks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

xcore posted:

Yeah, there is a running "joke" on the MMA Hour that Helwani is Barnett's manager. Barnett called out Brock last time he was on (a couple of weeks ago).

What deck does he want Lesnar to use?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Lid posted:

What deck does he want Lesnar to use?

Barnett teaching Brock to play MtG would be the greatest night in the history of this sport.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sprecherscrow posted:

Barnett teaching Brock to play MtG would be the greatest night in the history of this sport.

Barnett is really bad at magic though~

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Greg Jackson posted:

My problem is less with the desk itself and more with the fact that it eliminates entrances and post-fight interviews, which are really the best ways for a fighter to show personality.

I realize there are quite a few guys who have little to no personality in both of those facets anyway, but there's no opportunity for a fighter to establish a connection with the audience. You cut to them immediately in the cage, then go straight to commercial most times once the decision is announced. It's hard for anyone to really remember a fighter when that's the case.

It seems to me like even when there's a solid fight/finish on a lot of these shows, people end up remembering a fight more than a fighter, if you get what I mean.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The announcers desk in the arena sucks regardless of who happens to be paneling, but when they go in studio and Stann, Cruz, or DC start breaking down fights is my jam.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

It seems to me like even when there's a solid fight/finish on a lot of these shows, people end up remembering a fight more than a fighter, if you get what I mean.

Yes. I'll never forget Nik Dennis's savage standing elbow ko, but it wasn't until I read about his history and his retirement from the sport that I was able to attach a personality to that violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Lone Goat posted:

Barnett is really bad at magic though~

That's 'cause MTG nerds don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Catch wrestlers are known to do that.

• Locked thread