Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
^^I predicted this a few threads back. I said London would soon see Hong-Kong style cage people. Seems I was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Zephro posted:

^^I predicted this a few threads back. I said London would soon see Hong-Kong style cage people. Seems I was right.

Camerons_hong_kong.txt

It's almost as if there was some sort of law that priced housing according to demand and supply.

All joking apart though, that's loving terrible. A miserably graphic story in the Daily Mail has more detail.

In other news, we've lost the latest boss from the Universal Credit scheme a few months ahead of his contract expiring. A commentard suggests that's 7 in four years now.

quote:

The Department for Work and Pensions' deeply troubled Universal Credit project has lost yet another chief, after Howard Shiplee quit the role on Monday.

His decision to walk is a big blow for Secretary of State Iain Duncan Smith, who has witnessed a revolving door of UC bosses since the Cabinet minister unveiled his one-dole-to-rule-them-all plans in 2010.

The project has been dogged by IT problems from the start. To date, only 26,000 benefits claimants in the UK have apparently applied for Universal Credit.

In the spring, The Register reported that the DWP was seeking a replacement for Shiplee. But we were assured at the time that the job hunt was being conducted a whole year before Shiplee's contract was set to end in May 2015 to allow for "a smooth transition" ahead of the General Election.

But a new UC leader has been drafted in early. Seasoned job centre man Neil Couling will be the seventh person to head up the project.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I read that man's name as Harold Shipman. It makes sense IDS would resurrect him to koin his army of the Damned.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Prince John posted:

Camerons_hong_kong.txt

It's almost as if there was some sort of law that priced housing according to demand and supply.
Well, in Britain the price only responds to changes in demand, because supply is for all intents and purposes fixed because our housing "market" is so hedged around with restrictions and special treatment that basically nothing gets built.

Incidentally I've long thought that the official figures for rents are misleading. They're given "per dwelling". They should be given per square metre (Britain is almost unique in the world with its bizarre insistence on measuring home size by number of bedrooms). That might reflect what feels, ancedotally, is going on - that people are subdividing houses into ever smaller chunks and renting them out. I bet rent per square meter would have gone up dramatically over the past ten years, much faster than plain old rent per dwelling.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Labour will win the election though. I mean Ed loving Miliband couldn't botch the most basic of tasks when faced with a bumbling set of idiots like this could he? He certainly wouldn't try to appeal to the wankers who look at the current government and go "Yes, this is all fine." would he?

Sorry, going to retreat to the world where Scotland voted Yes and I don't have to pretend there's hope in the current system.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

Raising the tax allowance to £13,500 isn't that bad of an idea, though, as it would take minimum wage people out of paying income tax.
It also gives a tax break to everyone in the country who's earning between £10k and £120k (or potentially £170k if we assume that people earning six figures+ will max out their pension contributions), the inevitable implication of which is a reduction in the availability and/or quality of public services and support that will disproportionately affect those on lower incomes. If you want to increase the disposable income of people earning the minimum wage, increase the minimum wage.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

quote:

May’s extremist disruption civil orders would contain wide-ranging restrictions on individuals who “undertake harmful activities” to spread, incite or justify hatred against people on grounds of race, religion, sexual orientation or disability.

If this was applied honestly* it'd cover most Tories and UKIPers. Result.

*hahahahahaha no.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It's an incredibly dangerous law that she wants to bring in. Hidden under the mask of 'stop the evil preaching turning young people into jihadists' is a very easy way to restrict people they don't want able to move or talk freely.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

It's an incredibly dangerous law that she wants to bring in. Hidden under the mask of 'stop the evil preaching turning young people into jihadists' is a very easy way to restrict people they don't want able to move or talk freely.

Well, they banned protesting in most parts of London and basically no-one in the mainstream media batted an eyelid.
Make it about brown people, though, and they're all over it like flies to poo poo.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...hn-Redwood.html

They seem intent on gagging, right now. Alongside that ban on people who "want to overthrow democracy" it looks like they want to rig the media ahead of a euro vote to ensure it passes. I'm guessing the scottish referendum scared their guts off and they're pulling out all the stops in advance to get their way if the euro question ever comes up.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
She's celebrating the 30th anniversary of 1984 with more, new doubleplusgood controls. :tinfoil:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Spooky Hyena posted:

They seem intent on gagging, right now. Alongside that ban on people who "want to overthrow democracy" it looks like they want to rig the media ahead of a euro vote to ensure it passes. I'm guessing the scottish referendum scared their guts off and they're pulling out all the stops in advance to get their way if the euro question ever comes up.
John Redwood wants to leave the EU though whereas the Tory leadership will be campaigning to stay in (they're not complete idiots and no way big business will let them do otherwise, Redwood's fantasies aside). This isn't a very well coordinated rigging campaign they've got going here.

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 30, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
How high are the chances of Redwood defecting to Ukip within the next month?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

"Gordon Brown has called for 100,000 Scots to sign a petition demanding that Westminster keeps its vow on further powers for the Scottish Parliament."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...olut.1412093013

I thought 2 million people already signed that petition a few weeks ago, but apparently you need to beg now.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

serious gaylord posted:

Pretty low I think - for all that he's a hardcore eurosceptic, he's a Tory lifer and former Cabinet member. I can't see him abandoning that.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

serious gaylord posted:

Not as high as him defecting in 9 months.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Broniki posted:

"Gordon Brown has called for 100,000 Scots to sign a petition demanding that Westminster keeps its vow on further powers for the Scottish Parliament."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...olut.1412093013

I thought 2 million people already signed that petition a few weeks ago, but apparently you need to beg now.

Wait, Westminister reneging on promises? But they signed a pledge :qq:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Pretty low I think - for all that he's a hardcore eurosceptic, he's a Tory lifer and former Cabinet member. I can't see him abandoning that.

The way hes banging on and embarrassing himself I would have thought the chief whip would take him out back to be put down.

Oh, Its October now. I've made the new thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668819

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Kickstarted my documentary series where I go around Scotland asking No voters what the gently caress they expected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

Who has been the least poo poo recent Home Secretary?

All I can remember are Theresa May (contempt of court over asylum claims, Miranda detention, ignoring ACMD advice, this recent attempt to gut scary speech), Jacqui Smith (42 day detention, ignoring scientific advice, "You cannot compare the harms of an illegal activity with a legal one."), and David Blunkett (ban everything, no rights for terrorists, machinegun rioting prisoners :godwinning:). There were a few in between that I can't remember anything particularly terrible about but I'm probably mistaken.

e: I forgot the 'burying a report on immigration because it was too positive' and 'handling of the case where that Ugandan lady was killed by private security' for May. I think it's clear who isn't going to win this one.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 1, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

serious gaylord posted:

The way hes banging on and embarrassing himself I would have thought the chief whip would take him out back to be put down.

If the Tory whips commissared every backbencher who said something dumb or offensive, they would very quickly find themselves with no backbenchers at all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LemonDrizzle posted:

It also gives a tax break to everyone in the country who's earning between £10k and £120k (or potentially £170k if we assume that people earning six figures+ will max out their pension contributions), the inevitable implication of which is a reduction in the availability and/or quality of public services and support that will disproportionately affect those on lower incomes. If you want to increase the disposable income of people earning the minimum wage, increase the minimum wage.

Even so, that tax break is going to be much more valuable to those on lower incomes than higher incomes. Taxing money that you have to get by law just allows a flashy minimum wage rate that doesn't actually reflect reality (like Miliband's £8/hr rate which is actually lower than inflation-linked estimates). Something like 16% of the Living Wage is actually taxation. And even at the most pessimistic estimates, bringing back the 50p tax rate would easily pay for a tax threshold linked to NMW.

Guavanaut posted:

Who has been the least poo poo recent Home Secretary?

All I can remember are Theresa May (contempt of court over asylum claims, Miranda detention, ignoring ACMD advice, this recent attempt to gut scary speech), Jacqui Smith (42 day detention, ignoring scientific advice, "You cannot compare the harms of an illegal activity with a legal one."), and David Blunkett (ban everything, no rights for terrorists, machinegun rioting prisoners :godwinning:). There were a few in between that I can't remember anything particularly terrible about but I'm probably mistaken.

e: I forgot the 'burying a report on immigration because it was too positive' and 'handling of the case where that Ugandan lady was killed by private security' for May. I think it's clear who isn't going to win this one.

Probably Douglas Hurd or Ken Clarke, who were pretty much uncontroversial safe hands on the tiller compared to their predecessors or successors.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 1, 2014

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Just to bring the level of debate way down for a moment John Redwood has a very thin head that looks like its been systematically squished every night since birth to create a body modification that looks like a bellend with a wig.

For this reason I cannot support any of his policies, thank you.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

serious gaylord posted:

Oh, Its October now. I've made the new thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668819

Thanks for the new thread.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

Even so, that tax break is going to be much more valuable to those on lower incomes than higher incomes. Taxing money that you have to get by law just allows a flashy minimum wage rate that doesn't actually reflect reality (like Miliband's £8/hr rate which is actually lower than inflation-linked estimates). Something like 16% of the Living Wage is actually taxation. And even at the most pessimistic estimates, bringing back the 50p tax rate would easily pay for a tax threshold linked to NMW.
Will respond to this in the October thread.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Kickstarted my documentary series where I go around Scotland asking No voters what the gently caress they expected.
I pledge five Gaelic Poon.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Spooky Hyena posted:

Is this real? It's almost pathological in tone.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Metrication posted:

Is this real? It's almost pathological in tone.

You evidently havent heard of Redwood before.

He's the Swivel Eyed faction of the Tory party that makes most UKIPers look normal.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Serotonin posted:

You evidently havent heard of Redwood before.

He's the Swivel Eyed faction of the Tory party that makes most UKIPers look normal.

All I really know of him is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Oh, is this thread still open? Thought everyone was already posting in the October thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks to serious gaylord for making the new thread for this month.

Really.

• Locked thread