Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like to imagine that Cameron's legacy will be the breakup of the united kingdom :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

i think it'd be nice if they just went for "The United Kingdom"
the "of …" part isn't really that useful and just takes up a lot of space on official forms and stuff.

We should just rebrand as "UK".

Acronyms help to better clarify our position in the global marketplace and articles like "The" are no longer engaging the target demographics.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pissflaps posted:

'UK' isn't an acronym, it's an initialism.

This mistake is a constant bugbear of mine.

Maybe not the way you pronounce it. :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Greater London, or Greatest London?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If their post has a "message" button under it, the poster has PMs.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Are you bombarded by a linear accelerator? That sounds even better.

Sounds like a euphemism for being shot.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's not just pot and hookers, although for obvious reasons those are the things the media picks up on. It's actually a whole raft of changes in national accounting practices to bring us into compliance with EU and global norms:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171766_375872.pdf

Forgive my ignorance and tabloid-like simplification but is the government essentially saying "our bucket has a giant hole in it but we were only counting the water! turns out there was some mud in there too. so the leak isn't as bad as we thought :smug:"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I think HTML is worth teaching (or at least was, before the internet was flooded with services that let you make websites and host blogs with ease), but yes, it's a markup language not a programming language.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bozza posted:

People moan about jobsworths, but it's not like their actively campaigning to change the conditions of carriages.

I'm always a little put-off by this charge of hypocrisy. I think people can be allowed to moan about something without being actively engaged in some sort of petition or protest. If they're not moved to act then their complaint can be considered less passionate without being considered invalid.

edit: that's just a general observation, I didn't read the article so I don't really know what she's actually complaining about.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I still can't believe the LibDems went into coalition with the Tories. It boggles the mind.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
For sale: a doorway

£235,000

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/sep/03/narrow-terrace-house-north-london

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
And so there should be, puppy farms are A Bad Thing.

Obviously there are lots of other pressing concerns but at least it's not actually trivial.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HauntedRobot posted:

Tony Blair's GQ award is listed on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331309179778

:bravo:

Beautiful.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

tdrules posted:

The Affordable Homes Bill has passed it's second reading, not without Rees-Mogg failing to sabotage it though.

I'd be interested in hearing exactly what that turd tried to do.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It is a truly odd name. In what way does it make homes affordable? Even the people who directly benefit from the bill don't get a more affordable home, they just get their normal home and aren't penalised via benefit reductions for having the audacity to live in it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Zephro posted:

I like how "Food banks" is an xhead in that piece and then not mentioned anywhere else. The Beeb must be borrowing subs from the Graun.

Further down is the sub-heading 'Big win', which also is never repeated in the text :psyduck:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

bob holness paradox posted:

The placebo effect is real and can help people's perception of symptoms, but that doesn't mean we need to spend millions funding an infrastructure of homeopathic practitioners to keep up the facade. If doctors are allowed to prescribe placebo treatments to patients then there must be a cheaper way of doing it.

Can't remember where I've seen it but more expensive placebos are apparently more effective. They're also more effective if they're more painful.

Gold-plated ocular injections for all!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Does that mean that offering them for free on the NHS makes them less effective, or does the patient just have to think that they cost a lot and are being offered free at the point of care?

If they're on prescription, and so not free in England, does that mean that English homeopathic treatments are more effective than Welsh ones?

More research needed :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Looks like it's time for another round of :frogsiren: ROIL BABBY BULLSHIT :frogsiren:

I can't wait for the non-stop media coverage and speculation (edit: and completely inappropriate comparisons to the previous BABBY saga)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 8, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I doubt the Queen herself will advocate a republic, i mean what :psyduck:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Whenever I need to cheer myself up about our national situation, I go and read the Japan thread for a bit.

I have a question about the Japan thread. Is it full of posters who have never even been there?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Puntification posted:

An Imperial fucktonne actually as the refusal to adopt the metric system is among those problems.

I think we've done pretty well... compared to the US.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Guys I hate to disappoint but this week's PMQs have been cancelled. I guess we'll have to wait until next week for our regular informed discussion of the government's performance in a civil atmosphere of mutual respect and professionalism.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Farage? But I thought he didn't like Unions.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Cameron's reaction to scotland is utterly incredible. I know that the last couple of years I have used the phrase "beyond parody", well, beyond parody, about the Tories, but get this:

Cameron is actually trying to keep Britain together by having a Scottish flag flying on the flagpole above Downing street. Somehow he, or his advisors, have come up with the idea of flying a bit of coloured cloth above his house as the best answer they have to staring down the barrel of a country about to democratically vote to leave the UK after decades of incompetent government and at least a year of utter contempt for the idea from the UK government and press, which has included at times ideas to fiscally punish Scotland for having the temerity to hold a vote and leave.

And on top of this, when they tried to run it up the flagpole on Sky news a while ago, they hosed it up - the rope snapped and the flag dropped off.

Beyond. Motherfucking. Parody.

:stare:

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised to see a photo-op of Cameron chowing down on a haggis.

(Miliband too, though his track record for that sort of thing is not great)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are a traitor. I'm not calling for you to be shot but you are a traitor.

I thought traitors had to desert combat or sell state secrets, not cast a vote in a referendum.

I guess Regarde Aduck is a traitor too... to democracy. And he should be shot.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
^ :argh:

Pork Pie Hat posted:

That.... doesn't seem very independent to me.

It's about as independent as Australia, Canada, and every other nation whose monarch is Elizabeth II.

I don't think the Yes campaign will be dissatisfied with being "only" as independent as Canada.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Yes, I'm aware of that, and it doesn't seem very independent of those places either.

:psyduck:

What kind of independence are you hoping for? North Korea style isolationism?

Just by virtue of trading with England there is a certain level of dependence a nation has on England that is far stronger that the completely superficial, window dressing monarch.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

He said the Scotch. You're safe on a technicality.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

El Scotch posted:

But 'el' is Spanish for 'the', so I might not be safe at all. :smithcloud:

That's the technicality I'm talking about :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Weren't you just calling someone a traitor because you (incorrectly) thought they were voting Yes? Now you want to join someone else's country entirely?

B-but don't you see, China! and Putin!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Zero Gravitas posted:

I've got enough funding (thanks to an incredibly kind friend) for the tuition fees but I need to work for rent, food & bills bollocks.

Who's Bill? Is he the friend in question? If so I doubt the sincerity of his kindness

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

just thought I would let you know we are going to UKIP's head office in the South West tomorrow to fill the "goody bags" for the delegates attending their party conference later this month. It will be interesting to see what they put in them, have you got any ideas?

Mom x

:allears:

How about a fresh dogshit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What a rubbish quiz. Here, this is how it should go:

1. Did you go to University? Yes / No

If you scored 1 or more, you are a posho. I bet you don't even own a flatcap.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I put my bread in the freezer. It lasts forever and the toaster defrosts it nicely

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Zero Gravitas posted:

What the gently caress is with you people faffing about cutting your toast? Just bite chunks out of the square it comes in jesus christ

BEEP BOOP UNABLE TO DETERMINE CLASS STATUS PLEASE RESUBMIT YOUR TOAST PREPARATION DATA

edit: it's happened again the thread is talking about bread and toast, specifically the cutting thereof

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

KazigluBey posted:

So what's the best course of action? No, there isn't any TV in the flat, only a couple of laptops and such.

If the letters don't bother you, bin them and ignore any others they send.

If they do bother you, you can tell them you don't have a TV and they should stop sending you letters, and they probably will stop.

They can't barge in and look for a TV (or check your browsing history or anything like that) without a court order from a magistrate (which they'll never bother getting) so if they ever show up tell them politely to gently caress off.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

serious gaylord posted:

The same way they got over 180,000 of them infront of one last year.

'We think you're watching live tv without a licence because you have a laptop connected to the internet, and when interviewed you said you use it to watch catch up tv. We think you are also using it to watch as live broadcasts'

Its then on you to prove that that laptop isn't used to watch live tv.

Do you have any evidence to back up your posts, or is everyone magically exempt from the burden of proof in the up-is-down black-is-white world you live in

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Unionists! AKA people who just want to live in a stable nation.

Fringe radicals.

It's so loving weird you have a pseudo-insultive term for people who were born in, and don't want to fragment, the UK

You do realise that compressing a concept into a single word is the whole point of words, right? "people who just want to live in a stable nation" is a bit of a clumsy way to refer to them and an article on the topic using such a phrase each and every time would be pretty laborious to read.

If it makes you feel better, feel free to refer to the opposition as "separatists" because that's what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Spooky Hyena posted:

Daily reminder that Regarde Aduck was the same person calling everyone traitors,

Ah yes I'd forgotten that.

It's so loving weird he has a actually-insultive term for people who live in, and want to control the destiny of, their own country

• Locked thread