Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i think it'd be nice if they just went for "The United Kingdom"
the "of …" part isn't really that useful and just takes up a lot of space on official forms and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't the Dutch also a United Kingdom? That might be enough to set them over the edge and raid the Medway again.

(Although admittedly hauling back a Poundstretcher isn't quite as impressive as capturing the Royal Charles)

Koninkrijk der Nederlanden

so just Kingdom, not United. I think. If only McCaine hadn't left years ago.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Barudak posted:

Just worked on something involving them and I'd say they make me as comfortable as the red Droid Luke chooses first.

That droid was fine. He deliberately pretended to be broken so that Artoo & Threepio wouldn't be split up.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it happens I think it'll take a lot longer than that to sort out. Just unpicking the last 300 years of the weird patchwork of the comingled legal systems will take years, and then someone will discover that due to a cockup murder is suddenly legal if you do it on Ash Wednesday in the rain or something. It's nothing impossible but I think people have some pretty unrealistic expectations of how quick and easy the process will be.

there's two separate (but related) questions that I think people talk at cross purposes over.

how long till Scotland is functionaly an independant state vs how long till every single legal issue is resolved.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They might lose their only seat?

They seem pretty confident they won't.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

notaspy posted:

This is my favourite part of this. You have the anti-European UNION parties saying that they are pro UNIONIST.

The hypocrisy of the argument is amazing.

but Ukip / Farage ain't anarchists
their stance against the EU doesn't come from a princpled of opposing all political unions.

I don't see any hypocrisy in saying that the total Atlantic archipelago (give or take) is the perfect size for government and shouldn't be split up into smaller units or subsumed into a larger entity.
Don't agree mind you.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

She wouldn't even be losng it. Still monarch of both states after the split.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

KKKlean Energy posted:

^ :argh:

It's about as independent as Australia, Canada, and every other nation whose monarch is Elizabeth II.

I don't think the Yes campaign will be dissatisfied with being "only" as independent as Canada.

Elizabeth I of Scotland

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

an English devolved parliament misses the point of devolution. it's just an unthinking knee-jerk "whatever the Scottish, Welsh & Northern Irish have England should have too" and also ignores the existence of a fairly successful devolved assembly in London.
it's the political equivalent of "but why aren't there men only nights at the swimming pool".

do regional assemblies or don't bother.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

twoot posted:

The French have really streamlined their system for deflecting responsibility for the Calais immigrants onto the British and the truck drivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERlkc_uzjU

:stare: It's crazy

well if Westminster will insist on remaining outside Schengen should other countries pay for our government's fatuousness?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

ronya posted:

why is why talking about Schengen in reference to the Calais camps is particularly obnoxious

you cannot both be so cosmopolitan that opposition to Schengen is beneath your high-minded ideals, yet so populist that any mention of letting asylum seekers onto British soil must be squelched

they're one and the same issue

cannot parse this at all. am i the obnoxious one?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Yes, because it's all Westminster's fault that illegal immigrants would rather come through France to the UK than, you know, just live in France.

are you calling all of them "illegal" immigrants? guilty until proven innocent?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

It also find that 61% of respondents (72% with don't knows excluded) would reject a currency union with an independent scotland. Do you think there is any plausible way a currency union could be created given that figure?

they won't be having a UK wide referendum on it, so yeah very plausible. plenty of things with that level of public opposition happen all the time.
also the problem with yes/no polling is it doesn't tell you how strongly people feel about it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

HortonNash posted:

Currency union without a clear mandate from a referendum in England, Wales and Northern Ireland would be outrageous.

why on this issue and not everything else that's done without a clear mandate from a referendum?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

HortonNash posted:

I don't think so.

All the parties have said no currency union, and it would not be negotiable. No need for a referendum.

There's absolutely no benefit for rUK being in a currency union with iScotland, and a hell of a lot of risk for rUK should it be foolish enough to do it.

no benefit at all? really?
you might think the downsides outweigh the benefits, but let's not be silly and say there's none. for starters the large cross-border traffic & trade would quite appreciate it.

personally i don't think it's worth doing as anything other than a transitional period. and would be quite amused when the cash machines here start getting loaded with 3 currencies instead of 2.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

personalised number plates? are we looking at wealth in the 90s?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Green Wing posted:

The housing market is bollocks, it shouldn't be this hard to find a place to live, and having to now spend hundreds of pounds to go and few rooms/flats is bollocks. Am I doing something wrong?
commuting back & forth for to see each possible place is the wrong way.
if you're moving long distance don't treat it like you would if you were finding a new flat local to where you are now.
get a room in a cheap hostel for a week or so and blitz it.
take the first decent place you find as a short term option. don't be fussy about living in a box room temporarily - you can put your stuff in a storage locker.
then when you're actually in the right part of the country already start looking for something long term.
if Brighton's proving too expensive and/or difficult look outside of town and commute.

mfcrocker posted:

Yes because being trans is something that only happens in your room :stare:
common expression just means 'your private life'

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

I wasn't aware that trans status was considered part of your private life (note: this isn't to say it's of public interest either). If your potential housemates don't give a poo poo, fuckin' a, but it's definitely worth bringing up in case you're likely to get your head kicked in for being you.
I don't know if you're even disagreeing with me. It's not public info defiantly, so if you won't say it's private info what's the third option?

By all means bring it up, but I'd personally wait till further down the conversation. After you've got some idea if you'd want to share with them anyway.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe my question should be better phrased as: is the West Lothian question by itself a compelling reason to support either a change to full federalism or a return to full centralization, or is solving it more of a bonus in addition to whatever other reasons people have for supporting one of those things?

to a certain extent it's more of a dog whistle than a genuine problem in practice. a way to say to the English that they're getting an unfair disadvantage.
the tendency is for Scottish MPs to just voluntarily sit out of votes on non-relevant matters, and because of their small numbers have rarely been in a position to sway anything anyway. at least during the Blair & Brown governments who had large enough majorities without them.

*there are some interesting exceptions. top up tuition fees which wouldn't apply to Scottish universities, but Blair relied on Scottish MPs to counter the English & Welsh MPs who rebelled. and as the fees do apply to Scottish students studying down south there's some justification in them voting anyway.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

i'm far from being a signed up SNP supporter, but the contrast between Salmond vs Cameron / Milliband / Clegg today is striking.

have as much respect for the man as i possible for anyone who takes massive donations from virulent homophobes, centralised the police force, wants to lower corporation tax, and all the other poo poo

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Spangly A posted:

e; oh and the other UKIP defector was Barnes, deputy mayor of London. Is there any reason to care?

no he's not. Victoria Borwick is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Former. There are nearly 1.5k seats in Parliament, I'm not going to remember who's deputy mayor :(

All those seats in parliament and Barnes has never had any of them.
Also he's not even a Tory defection to ukip. Stood as an independent (and lost) in the council elections back in May. After Hillingdon conservatives deselected him. Getting kicked out of those swivel eyed loons must have felt low lol

• Locked thread