Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

Here comes the PFA/taping arguments

Yo dudes the standards are lax. Quit being fat and eating midrats

Totally brah. Everyone's built the same.

You're a dumbshit. I guess everyone should be super built in Navy land though so when we sit at our consoles (real navy work) our guts don't spillover onto the VABs.

I personally don't give a poo poo about it because I'll pass every time, but if you don't think the system is a loving joke on par with our eval system then you're probably an idiot (corpsmen).

EDIT: I want to reiterate that I'm totally fine with actual fat shitheads getting put on FEP, what I'm not okay with is the garbage system we use to determine who a fat shitlord is. There are guys that weigh loving 120 pounds that I work with and eat McDonalds every loving day for lunch and I'm pretty sure there insides are literally falling apart, but they don't have to go on any kind of program, and that's really dumb. At least the fat shitlord might be able to get me out of a space. SN Built Like A Child won't be able to.

Now I'm all pissed and I don't even work today goddammit.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I liked when our commodore would randomly drop into ships and weigh in both the mess and the wardroom.

This sounds funny until you think of how much monthly paycheck, not to mention investment over career, has gone into having an O-7 wander the waterfront with a clipboard and tape measure. Surely there's something that billet could better spend its time at.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PneumonicBook posted:

Totally brah. Everyone's built the same.

You're a dumbshit. I guess everyone should be super built in Navy land though so when we sit at our consoles (real navy work) our guts don't spillover onto the VABs.

I personally don't give a poo poo about it because I'll pass every time, but if you don't think the system is a loving joke on par with our eval system then you're probably an idiot (corpsmen).

EDIT: I want to reiterate that I'm totally fine with actual fat shitheads getting put on FEP, what I'm not okay with is the garbage system we use to determine who a fat shitlord is. There are guys that weigh loving 120 pounds that I work with and eat McDonalds every loving day for lunch and I'm pretty sure there insides are literally falling apart, but they don't have to go on any kind of program, and that's really dumb. At least the fat shitlord might be able to get me out of a space. SN Built Like A Child won't be able to.

Now I'm all pissed and I don't even work today goddammit.

:sweatdrop:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DESRON commodores are just captains not admirals. And there really isn't a whole lot for them to do unless they're deployed.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Yea a lot of that was pretty navy.txty I guess.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mr. Nice! posted:

DESRON commodores are just captains not admirals. And there really isn't a whole lot for them to do unless they're deployed.

Still more an argument that the billet shouldn't exist, than that it's money well spent paying that guy to terrorize fats

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea a lot of that was pretty navy.txty I guess.

I mean yeah the taping and all that is a joke as well as the eval system. And sorry some people have fast metabolisms and can chow down burgers all day and not gain a pound. Thing is though even aside from the lovely diet those guys can still get an all around "good" on the PFA. I'm not saying push ups, sit ups, and running 1.5 miles is a testament to physical endurance but alas...

But I've yet to see an "ok shape" guy fail it

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 7, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

Still more an argument that the billet shouldn't exist, than that it's money well spent paying that guy to terrorize fats

Well, the DESRON out in Hawaii has basically half of it's job done by a one star across the street. Commodores at other DESRONs tend to have more to do. What needs to happen is merge all the Hawaii surface ships into a single CRUDESRON that falls under the one star. This won't change much at all at the one star level and would get rid of a lot of redundancies.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I wasn't joking. That is literally the new PRT instruction.

No it's not. Go read up on sailorbob. The majority of that info was bad gouge from a brainstorming session at some CFL meeting. OPNAV N1 said it's purely conjecture at this point and nothing is actually in writing.

This came from an O6:

quote:

My CFL has spoken with with the PFA folks at N1:

"There are no policy changes at the present time. The instruction is still in draft and nothing has been approved by N1. OPNAV 6110.1J is what all member should be referencing for the upcoming and future PFA cycles. No official release or expected release date at this time."

buttplug fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 7, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Christoff posted:

But I've yet to see an "ok shape" guy fail it
I walked my last PRT.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

No it's not. Go read up on sailorbob. The majority of that info was bad gouge from a brainstorming session at some CFL meeting. OPNAV N1 said it's purely conjecture at this point and nothing is actually in writing.

This came from an O6:

This is interesting thanks, I'll throw it at my CFLs.

And yea Christoff, you're not wrong.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

buttplug posted:

This came from an O6:

buttplug posted:

This came from an O6:

I hope this is right, but I have zero faith that it's not going to happen. This is the same sort of language that gets used every time an early draft of an instruction works it's way out to the fleet.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
My CO put out today that we should expect to see this for cycle 1 fy15

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

FWD:FWD:FWD:FW: LOL

In the beginning was the plan.
And then came the assumptions.
And the assumptions were without form.
And the plan was without substance.
And darkness was upon the face of the workers.
And they spoke among themselves saying,
"It is a crock of poo poo and it stinketh."
And the workers went unto their supervisors and said,
"It is a pale of dung and none may abide the odor thereof."
And the supervisor went unto their managers and said,
"It is a container of excrement and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it."
And the managers went unto their directors, saying,
"It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength."
And the directors spoke among themselves, saying to one another,
"It contains that which aids plant growth and it is very strong."
And the directors went unto the vice presidents, saying unto them,
"It promotes growth and is very powerful."
And the vice presidents went unto the president, saying unto him,
"The new plan will promote the growth and vigor of the company, with powerful effects."
And the president looked upon the plan and saw that it was good.
And the plan became policy.
This is how poo poo happens.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I hope this is right, but I have zero faith that it's not going to happen. This is the same sort of language that gets used every time an early draft of an instruction works it's way out to the fleet.

quote:

1) Bad day retests no longer authorized

2) BCA measurements, all Sailors will get taped regardless if they meet weight vs height. Males with a waist measurement >40 inches and females 36 inches will join FEP automatically.

3) Mandatory mark of 2.0 under military bearing on evaluations for 1st or 2nd PFA failures.

4) Conducting PFAs with a minimum of four months apart no longer a requirement.

5) Doing the PFA on the bike has been adjusted and will be harder with no gender difference on results (different criteria/levels for male or female) it will be the same for both and will no longer be translated into a run time, basically you will get a PRT score not a run time equivalent.

6) Under CO's responsibilities they have removed the "Integrate PT into the workweek, consistent with mission and operational requirements" and will now read: "Commands SHALL integrate PT into the workweek and during working hours" (eliminating some of the barriers commands have across the navy, i.e. "We have way too many things going on, we have too many flights or we have lots of maintenance to do).

7) CFL certifications will be NEC driven.

8) Random BCAs requirement in conjunction with the daily urinalysis list (*** this one is actually under review ***)

9) Those that score well in the PRT will be allowed to wear an alternative PT shirt (this one again under review) due to the many uniform changes in the last few years.

Numbers 2 and 8 are the only onesof any noteworthiness - I can see no. 2 making it through to the final instruction - height/weight *and* BCA. Fair enough - AF already does that (anything >39" is auto-failure). However, number 8 will *never* make the cut and is just plain stupid. The rest are trivial changes.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

However, number 8 will *never* make the cut and is just plain stupid.

lol. Welcome to he Navy. Enjoy your stay.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
A 36" waist on a female is INSANE. Because of the awful method for measuring (and my genetics, thanks for the booty Mom) I fail the tape when I have the CFL do it for grins, but am 10-15 pounds under so I don't have to get taped. I have a 30" waist and cannot imagine 6 more inches. Gross.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Number six is pretty great. Commands will just increase working hours. Yay!

Also if you do well enough you can wear a super special t-shirt! Like what the loving gently caress? That's a thing the navy spent time thinking about.

It's also neat that they're changing the bike. Last time I looked at the formula getting anything higher than good seemed crazy but maybe I'm wrong.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

PneumonicBook posted:

It's also neat that they're changing the bike. Last time I looked at the formula getting anything higher than good seemed crazy but maybe I'm wrong.

I am old and lazy, and I get an excellent every time with no real effort. thanks to Eminem and having been doing it for like, 10 years now.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

lol. Welcome to he Navy. Enjoy your stay.

This just doesn't pass the bullshit test. We can barely heard the cats for urinalysis every morning, how are they going to do a no-poo poo BCA every morning? You'd have people changing out of uniform just to go stand in line and get rope & choked. Go check out the thread on Sailorbob. There are a lot of post-major command guys in there literally going "that's the stupidest thing I've seen in 25+ years". I mean I've seen the Navy do some completely stupid poo poo (LCS), but this is exceptionally unreasonable.

What is not unreasonable is having people do height/weight *and* rope and choke during the BCA portion of the normal PFA cycle....

poopkitty posted:

A 36" waist on a female is INSANE. Because of the awful method for measuring (and my genetics, thanks for the booty Mom) I fail the tape when I have the CFL do it for grins, but am 10-15 pounds under so I don't have to get taped. I have a 30" waist and cannot imagine 6 more inches. Gross.

I guess it depends on if they're doing the full-up rope & choke (waist minus neck plugged into a formula) or if they're just going to measure your waist and say "it's over X inches, welcome to FEP". Big difference. I know the AF considers it an auto-failure if you're over 39" regardless of what you get on the PRT itself (not sure what the number is for females). Personally I have always been under weight and hate the idea of the rope and choke because 1) it's inaccurate as gently caress and 2) CFLs gently caress it up all the time. I'd hate to see people's careers and livelihoods literally hinge on whether or not some disgruntled E-8 is measuring his gut correctly...

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 8, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

This just doesn't pass the bullshit test. We can barely heard the cats for urinalysis every morning, how are they going to do a no-poo poo BCA every morning? You'd have people changing out of uniform just to go stand in line and get rope & choked. Go check out the thread on Sailorbob. There are a lot of post-major command guys in there literally going "that's the stupidest thing I've seen in 25+ years". I mean I've seen the Navy do some completely stupid poo poo (LCS), but this is exceptionally unreasonable.

What is not unreasonable is having people do height/weight *and* rope and choke during the BCA portion of the normal PFA cycle....

Leave Sailor Bob out of this. Every policy change by the Navy has a host of old captains and commanders come out of the woodwork to bitch about how stupid everything is, and how the old navy was better at everything on that site.

The bottom line here is that a "random BCA" already exists in the urinalysis program. Now they pee and get roped and choked. Honestly it's no more of a boondoggle then urinalysis normally is. It will directly cost the Navy $0 to implement the program which means it will happen.

To put it a better way, the Navy spent millions of dollars to buy breathalyzers for every command in the service, even though that was multiple orders of magnitude dumber then random BCA's.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

buttplug posted:

This just doesn't pass the bullshit test. We can barely heard the cats for urinalysis every morning, how are they going to do a no-poo poo BCA every morning?

lol if you think worse ideas havent gone through. this is just a form of RIF

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

1) Bad day retests no longer authorized

2) BCA measurements, all Sailors will get taped regardless if they meet weight vs height. Males with a waist measurement >40 inches and females 36 inches will join FEP automatically.

3) Mandatory mark of 2.0 under military bearing on evaluations for 1st or 2nd PFA failures.

4) Conducting PFAs with a minimum of four months apart no longer a requirement.

5) Doing the PFA on the bike has been adjusted and will be harder with no gender difference on results (different criteria/levels for male or female) it will be the same for both and will no longer be translated into a run time, basically you will get a PRT score not a run time equivalent.

6) Under CO's responsibilities they have removed the "Integrate PT into the workweek, consistent with mission and operational requirements" and will now read: "Commands SHALL integrate PT into the workweek and during working hours" (eliminating some of the barriers commands have across the navy, i.e. "We have way too many things going on, we have too many flights or we have lots of maintenance to do).

7) CFL certifications will be NEC driven.

8) Random BCAs requirement in conjunction with the daily urinalysis list (*** this one is actually under review ***)

9) Those that score well in the PRT will be allowed to wear an alternative PT shirt (this one again under review) due to the many uniform changes in the last few years.

Welp, IDC is hosed.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

just take your dick out and pee in this cup while i measure your gross belly shipmate

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

To do a BCA measurement on someone they have to wear the PTU. If it's tied to urinalysis, they're going to have to change into the PTU after they pee. Since it's random, they're going to have to go home to get their PTU. I guess everyone is going to have to have a PTU at work, with shoes, ready to go at all times every single day.

edit: I've been both CFL and UPC so this is like my dream collateral guys

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DustyNuts posted:

To do a BCA measurement on someone they have to wear the PTU. If it's tied to urinalysis, they're going to have to change into the PTU after they pee. Since it's random, they're going to have to go home to get their PTU. I guess everyone is going to have to have a PTU at work, with shoes, ready to go at all times every single day.

edit: I've been both CFL and UPC so this is like my dream collateral guys

What do you mean go home? You should have a full seabag onboard at all times, shipmate. We'll have your seabag inspection after lunch.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
You pop your head of the hole just to get poo poo on even more.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

buttplug posted:

Never underestimate the navy trying to shove 10 more pounds of poo poo into a 5 pound bag. Did somebody say something about extending working hours?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Mr. Nice! posted:

What do you mean go home? You should have a full seabag onboard at all times, shipmate. We'll have your seabag inspection after lunch.

And a gut inspection.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The system is inaccurate, and I doubt putting a flat limit for tape would be a good idea. I imagine FEP is going to be full of some fit, pissed off people should they make something like that policy occur.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There isn't really a way to be 'fit' with a 40" waist.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Saw lots of posts, thought people were still complaining about us vets waggin our dongs about how awesome civilian life is. :rolleyes:

Another reason to get out: PFA

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got to call bs on that one. It's probably true more often than not but I can think of several people I know that are PT monsters that have or are darn close to or have a 40" waist.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Met a second class psych tech that was a body builder, dude's a monster in fitness. It's not the norm at that size but it is possible. Sure, doesn't fit in with the general necessity of fitness for being a bunch of dudes on ships, doesn't mean that other portions of the Navy can fit into it, especially in some ratings where physical strength can mean the life/death of a Marine when they weigh 190 lbs and have 80+ pounds of gear on them. Well, at least if you want to lift them and not shatter your body, or just drag them with difficulty somewhere.

The whole evaluation of fitness should be based on the job, with endurance tests that would be something like "carry this body to sickbay", "get to y area of the ship within t amount of time", or some poo poo.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

The whole evaluation of fitness should be based on the job, with endurance tests that would be something like "carry this body to sickbay", "get to y area of the ship within t amount of time", or some poo poo.

or Type 100 Words Per Minute for the IDW types.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ronnie Coleman has a 36" waist.

A natural body builder I used to work with had a 34" waist and he was 6'4".

A 40" waist is loving massive.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Waist? Sure.

I've never once been taped at my waist.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In other news, our friends over in the USAF continue to be the vanguard of the US' god-fearing crusaders of righteousness wing of the US armed forces

My favorite part is that the USAF PAO's have no idea why this happened.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was just about to post this. Also, Schwarzenegger's BMI at competitive weight was 33. If someone has a BMI over 30 and doesn't look like Arnie at competition, they're a fatty. Nobody who complains about these measurements not taking muscle into account is a bodybuilder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I had the option to replace the words but they would have had to go get new paperwork and it was ten minutes until my reenlistment so I just said gently caress it.

Hilarious that the option in the AF went away for no reason though.

• Locked thread