Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

We recently purchased and deployed several Unifi APs, and here are some things that might not be totally obvious before purchase. You might already know this stuff, I'm just putting it out there in case you dont.

- In order to do pretty much anything with these devices you need to use their controller software. You can also SSH into them and do some stuff, but the bulk of your configuration and mangement will be done with the controller software.

- The controller software runs in a browser and requires both Flash and Java. You're probably thinking, "ok, not so bad so far, I can just install the sofware on my workstation and be done with it". See the next point to find out why you're wrong :)

- If you want to use any of the captive portal features, the software must be running in order for those features to work. So, you're going to need a dedicated machine for the controller software if you're using captive portal features. And that machine needs to be running Flash. And Java. And running 24/7. Yep, pretty boneheaded. Let's hope that machine isnt internet facing :)

- No ability to whitelist MAC addresses. Blacklist yes, whitelist no. Dont know why they made that decision. We can debate the efficacy of MAC address blocking, but when employed as part of a defense in depth, it's a legitimate layer of defense.

- Want to use the cool "Zero Hand Off" feature they advertise prominently? Looks like you have to enable SSID broadcasting in order for it to work. I have not yet confirmed this last bullet point, but I'm testing it today. Again, this is a legitimate layer of defense when used in conjunction with other layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread