Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It's September and that means pennant races! Epic collapses! The clusterfuck that is the Wildcard. The Angels swept the A's this weekend and are in the drivers seat in the AL West, while reigning MVP Miggy Cabrera will try to play through an ankle injury as the Tigers try to catch the surprising Royals. Justin Verlander took some naughty pictures! Oh, and look for this at your local newsstand:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did the Missouri Devil Magic hop a train from KC to St. Louis?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

Oh, and look for this at your local newsstand:

Oh, is Derek Jeter retiring?

I hadn't heard.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Haha, great thread title.

Speaking of which, the Giants resumed a suspended game from May today against the Rockies. There've been a lot of roster changes between then and now.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Fire Terry Collins.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Haha, great thread title.

Speaking of which, the Giants resumed a suspended game from May today against the Rockies. There've been a lot of roster changes between then and now.

Small ball :rolleyes:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Pirates are now a combined 2-10 in one-run games against the Cardinals and Brewers. Despite outscoring the two teams by a combined 23 runs, their record against those opponents is 13-20. :smithicide:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
That is a really great thread title, well done.

Also apparently the Jays are going to be using Aaron Sanchez for more 2-inning saves, because he is cool and awesome. e: apparently they also called up the Canadian Kevin Pillar, Dalton Pompey.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 2, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

N: The Cubs own, Soler owns, going to games when the Cubs win owns.

V: The Cubs' actions have catastrophically left the loving Cardinals in first, goddamnit

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This isn't MLB, but it's not worthy of a new thread:

A Japanese High School baseball game went 50 innings. It was scoreless through 49, and spanned multiple days.

If it had gone to 54 innings, the winner would have been determined by a lottery.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...orial&hpt=hp_t2

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

R.D. Mangles posted:

N: The Cubs own, Soler owns, going to games when the Cubs win owns.

V: The Cubs' actions have catastrophically left the loving Cardinals in first, goddamnit

Thanks Cubs :haw:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Typical. The Cubs finally start to look like an actual kind-of-decent baseball team, and in doing so it helps the Cardinals.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

That is a really great thread title, well done.

Also apparently the Jays are going to be using Aaron Sanchez for more 2-inning saves, because he is cool and awesome. e: apparently they also called up the Canadian Kevin Pillar, Dalton Pompey.

Bye bye Melky.

And I'm not sure how Pompey is anything like Pillar, or I don't get your joke.

Also, Pillar looks like the disney prince from Tangled and Pompey could never land that role.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Retail Slave posted:

A Japanese High School baseball game went 50 innings. It was scoreless through 49, and spanned multiple days.

If it had gone to 54 innings, the winner would have been determined by a lottery.

I heard about this.

Here's what makes this weird (for me): in Japanese major league games, if the score is tied after 12 innings, the game just ends in a tie. It's odd to me that the professional level of the game would have an easier way to end the game than a high school game. It reminds me more of those Guinness Book of World Redord games where they play a stupidly long game just so they can say they played the longest game ever.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Retail Slave posted:

And only both teams only used one pitcher each.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

davecrazy posted:

That is the part that blows my mind. I know it was a rubber ball game, but still. I feel like if that happened here the schools might face a lawsuit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Haha I thought this was a Japan joke at first

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is there anything to look forward to as a Brewers fan?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

nerve posted:

death?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MassaShowtime posted:

And I'm not sure how Pompey is anything like Pillar, or I don't get your joke.

They occupy the same conceptual space.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Please post about cool extended roster call ups. Will Jason Lane come back up again?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

tarlibone posted:

I heard about this.

Here's what makes this weird (for me): in Japanese major league games, if the score is tied after 12 innings, the game just ends in a tie. It's odd to me that the professional level of the game would have an easier way to end the game than a high school game. It reminds me more of those Guinness Book of World Redord games where they play a stupidly long game just so they can say they played the longest game ever.

It was a semifinal game of an elimination tournament. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't end the deciding game of a playoff series in a tie in the NPB, either.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

nerve posted:

Aaron Rodgers is still a good QB.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Sometimes I don't think Photoshop should exist. :nws:http://i.imgur.com/03tGdX6.jpg:nws:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Harlock posted:

Please post about cool extended roster call ups. Will Jason Lane come back up again?
Dodgers called up Joc Peterson, although I didn't think they had a great need for even more outfielders...

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dodgers called up Joc Peterson, although I didn't think they had a great need for even more outfielders...

He has 30 HR and 30 SB. And Ethier and Crawford suck.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Harlock posted:

Michael Kirkman is returning to pitch for the Rangers, because it turns out Michael Kirkman is actually still alive. Who knew? :shrug:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Spoeank posted:

Sometimes I don't think Photoshop should exist. :nws:http://i.imgur.com/03tGdX6.jpg:nws:

If you don't think Prince Fielder is a gorgeous piece of man-meat then idk what to tell you.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

True, but what does that have to do with the image you linked?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Harlock posted:

Rays called Steve Geltz, RHP who is like Boxberger except he walks more and strikes out less. :shrug:

Mahtook and co are expeted to arrive after the AAA season finishes.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Tigers (laughtrack)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nerve posted:

Slumps happen and they still have a month to put in a decent performance.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

the loving giants are gonna win the world series again aren't they

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Der Meister posted:

~~~Even Year Bullshit~~~

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Der Meister posted:

Yes and it will somehow involve Barry Zito.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Der Meister posted:

They're gonna make the wildcard by one game and then proceed to come back down every series. Yusmiero Petit will pitch a no hitter in the World Series and Tim Lincecum will throw a combined 15 scoreless innings of relief throughout the playoffs.

Zito is hired as a last minute addition, and pitches 7 scoreless innings in the final game to sweep the Tigers.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
With Zito and Hudson the 2002 Oakland A's 2014 San Francisco Giants will be unstoppable. Just need to drag Mark Mulder out if retirement.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Cole Hamels is really good and I hope he continues to own for whomever should acquire him this offseason.

My favorite note about the no-hitter: Diekman and Giles, in their combined 2 ip, struck out five.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

nerve posted:

Not being a Cubs or Pirates fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Spoeank posted:

Should have been Avila catching a foul tip

• Locked thread