Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Are we doing the federal league and stuff again this year? When does fantasy start again? Hooray hockey.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660797

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I forgot the Penguins had Christian Ehrhoff. It's cool!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
hey Jordan, are you doing the :10bux: league again?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

myron cope posted:

I forgot the Penguins had Christian Ehrhoff. It's cool!

I forgot the Capitals had Brooks Orpik for 5 years x $5.5M. I was happier 2 minutes ago.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Mind_Taker posted:

I forgot the Capitals had Brooks Orpik for 5 years x $5.5M. I was happier 2 minutes ago.

That deal makes me feel almost at ease with the Andy MacDonald deal. Almost. :sigh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

That deal makes me feel almost at ease with the Andy MacDonald deal. Almost. :sigh:

Arent the Flyers 5m over the cap because of him as well?

e: vvvv Oh right, forgot about Pronger. :doh:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 3, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Arent the Flyers 5m over the cap because of him as well?

not with pronger on LTIR

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Furnaceface posted:

e: vvvv Oh right, forgot about Pronger. :doh:

Don't worry, he probably did too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gunjin posted:

Don't worry, he probably did too.

hahahah-awwww :(

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose

With a logjam at centermen, #RedWings Mike Babcock said today that he plans to start Darren Helm at wing on Pavel Datsyuk's line.

lmao

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Zamboni Jesus posted:

With a logjam at centermen, #RedWings Mike Babcock said today that he plans to start Darren Helm at wing on Pavel Datsyuk's line.

lmao

Makes me happy to know The Flyers aren't the only team with too many centers. Can't wait to see Vinny and Babby Schenn alternate on the wing disastrously again.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Sorted by NHL games played

Boyd Gordon
RNH
Anton Lander
Mark Arcobello
Leon Draisital

What is this centre 'depth' you speak of

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

It's OK, Orpik dismisses his critics, saying he's beyond having to prove his worth anymore, and Trotz says his intangibles are worth the money

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Who is Anton Lander

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

Makes me happy to know The Flyers aren't the only team with too many centers. Can't wait to see Vinny and Babby Schenn alternate on the wing disastrously again.

what's funny about the situation that the red wings are in is that they talk about having "too many centers" but then the "solution" is playing a third liner with datsyuk. it isn't that they have too many centers its that their team is kind of poo poo outside of datsyuk and zetterberg. their only hope is that nyquist continues to shoot like 20% and tatar establishes himself as a viable top 6 player and even then the bottom six is awful.

~too many centres~ except that outside of datsyuk their centres are all crap like helm and broken weiss

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

revtoiletduck posted:

Link dead

Sun media says Crosby was arrested in Ottawa last night, but the police say he wasn't. Soooo gently caress the Sun, probably.

vvv That's not surprising. It basically just said he was arrested driving a rent porsche and had been taken to the Elgin Street station, but no reason for the arrest was given. Total garbage.

Sidney Crosby is in Vail, Colorado. The Ottawa Sun misread "Vail" as "jail" and ran with the story. I have no idea where the "Ottawa" part comes from.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Remember those rumors that Datsyuk and Zetterberg were going to demand trades if Babcock wasn't fired after this year?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Also TheScore is starting a new series where JT Bourne and Thomas Drance carefully breakdown plays particular to different teams. First is the Dallas Stars keeping their left wingers high in the zone.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Zamboni Jesus posted:

lmao

He's a better option than Justin Abdelkader. Wait, Abdelkader is the unnamed second winger, isn't he? Motherfucker.

My next question is: who's the other converted center? Zetterberg, or Weiss? Or are they really going to play Weiss or Sheahan on the 4th line and bump Glendening off?

edit: wait, where is the SAS hate for Helm coming from?

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 3, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Also TheScore is starting a new series where JT Bourne and Thomas Drance carefully breakdown plays particular to different teams. First is the Dallas Stars keeping their left wingers high in the zone.

Now if only that site hadn't eliminated their article tags, which would have made it easy to bookmark a series of stories and quickly figure out if new ones have been posted.

Their front page is comically useless if you care about more than the most recent 10 articles.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Hand Knit posted:

I have no idea where the "Ottawa" part comes from.

It's where all the superstars in Pennsylvania come to get arrested.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

revtoiletduck posted:

It's where all the superstars in Pennsylvania come to get arrested grab dat rear end.

ftfy

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Hand Knit posted:

They have the 2nd one up: http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/569324 "The Red Wings use a dangerous part of the ice to avoid getting hemmed in"

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Technetium posted:

Who is Anton Lander

The prototypical dude who crushes the AHL and gets ruined in the NHL

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wayne Gretzky posted:

The prototypical dude who crushes the AHL and gets ruined in the NHL

aka LEAVE HIM IN OKC HE OWNS

(he's great, just a bit too slow for the NHL I think, though he could definitely still become a solid 3C someday)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So last month my mother visited relatives in Nova Scotia, and brought back some stuff that I'd left behind when I moved to Chicago 15 years ago, including my high school yearbook

I was flipping thru it and I a name stood out to me. I thought to myself, "Is that really... nah, can't be!" But after a bit of Googling it seems like he did go to my high school and I didn't even realize it until half a lifetime later.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Is there *any* high school in Canada that hasn't produced an NHL player?

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
I'm more interested in "Bruce" on the left there.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

One guy from my highschool made the NHL, but he only played in 3 games. Does that count?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hand Knit posted:

I always love reading about this sort of stuff. It makes me miss the old Backhand Shelf podcast.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rutkowski posted:

I was all ready to proclaim my school's total inadequacy, but once again here comes Aaron Ward to screw up my day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rutkowski posted:

I went to a girls schools.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rutkowski posted:

I went to a school for the blind. We only produced refs :downsrim:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

I went to a girls schools.

Was it the same one as Manon Rheaume?

E: my old highschool never had an NHL player, but its only been around 15 years

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Austrian mook posted:

Was it the same one as Manon Rheaume?

E: my old highschool never had an NHL player, but its only been around 15 years

Heh, McCrae?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my high school had

Blake Geoffrion
Kevin Dean
John-Michael Liles
Barry Richter
Gary and Ryan Suter

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

bewbies posted:

aka LEAVE HIM IN OKC HE OWNS

(he's great, just a bit too slow for the NHL I think, though he could definitely still become a solid 3C someday)

Hey Lander got ruined in the NHL first then crushed the AHL, there's still hope

if he's ever going to make it in the NHL it'll be as a depth utility guy who can also play wing well and is a great PKer. Its his first year after his ELC, so no longer waiver eligible. His offense came around nicely in OKC the last two years and if he can figure out how to get it to stick in the NHL he'll be ok :unsmith: Plus, Klefbom gets to be his Swede buddy

OKC is getting two shiny new centres in Kharia and Yakimov, here's hoping they turn out cool

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Coincidentally, same yearbook, Joe Dipenta in the same graduating class as myself. Didn't take a picture though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So it's officially Rogers NHL Gamecentre Live for Canadians.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/nhl-landing?asc_refid=nhl&CMPID=GCL%3Avnty

quote:

But the other angle, the ability to watch national games through the GameCentre Live package, will be a welcome change. Previously, GCL blocked games that were broadcast by TSN – even the local feeds that TSN or TSN2 would pick up to bulk up the national package. This will no longer be the case; if you are a Rogers subscriber, you’ll get access to the Game Center Live feeds.

If I'm reading that correctly it now means that national games are now not blacked out if you have a Rogers TV subscription. Everyone else loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

revtoiletduck posted:

Heh, McCrae?

No

• Locked thread