Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Jujhar Khaira is going to own, eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.

ThinkTank posted:

So it's officially Rogers NHL Gamecentre Live for Canadians.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/nhl-landing?asc_refid=nhl&CMPID=GCL%3Avnty

If I'm reading that correctly it now means that national games are now not blacked out if you have a Rogers TV subscription. Everyone else loses.

Uh - does the video on that page say its $199 now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dauher posted:

Uh - does the video on that page say its $199 now?

It's always $199 if you don't get early bird or the discount that kicks in late in the season.

Everybody gets one or the other.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Pretty sure it was $150 last year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Tampa's Stadium is now called the Amalie Arena.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ThinkTank posted:

DRILL BABY DRILL

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Bit worried about the whole Rodgers GCL thing now - tried to log in to my NHL.com account again like I did last week to see if there was any new info and now it just re-directs to the Rodgers page - which I don't have an account for. I guess if I can't get the early-bird discount I'll just do the hola->russia thing, but I really hope Rodgers isn't going to screw me here somehow.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

but I really hope Rodgers isn't going to screw me here somehow.

Don't worry they will. I get the feeling a LOT of games are going to be blacked out unless you are an existing Rogers customer. Which I am not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

that's awesome, i love audrey tautou

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Apparently the only dude in the NHL from Aylmer, QC was Matthew Barnaby. Sounds about right :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw Scott Gomez play in high school, but he was playing for a rival high school's team so I can't claim I went to school with him.

But I was real close to the district boundary, I totally could have gone to his school if I wanted to!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Don't worry they will. I get the feeling a LOT of games are going to be blacked out unless you are an existing Rogers customer. Which I am not.

That's okay. We can catch some Canucks games at... Oh. Oh dear.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
gm place?

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Yeah, the one next to the TELUS World of Science.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think the GM has worked out so well for Vancouver either.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think the GM has worked out so well for Vancouver either.

canada hockey place worked out pretty loving spectacularly. lets use that

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, I just heard a pretty strong rumor that Jean Béliveau is on death's doorstep.

507 Goals, 1219pts in 1125gp
10 time Stanley Cup winner
10 time All Star
Won the Hart twice, Ross once and Conn Smythe once

One of the all time greats. :smith:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
The last couple times they'd show him in the crowd he always looked frail... I hope he makes it to see the season opener at least :smith:

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I love this http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=58d3782e-5cda-478f-9530-23a34c7a1547 article about him, the part about him calling cancer patients is so :smith: .

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Oh man, I just heard a pretty strong rumor that Jean Béliveau is on death's doorstep.

10 time All Star

He's my favorite old timey forward and 2nd favorite old timey player behind Glenn Hall. He had incredible hands/vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiTj4zcSpn8 and is/was a really great guy by all accounts and is basically worshipped in Montreal

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lumius posted:

I love this http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=58d3782e-5cda-478f-9530-23a34c7a1547 article about him, the part about him calling cancer patients is so :smith: .

well poo poo. That is a good man.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lumius posted:

Oh man, that's awesome :unsmith:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Rutkowski posted:

Is there *any* high school in Canada that hasn't produced an NHL player?

John Carlson went to my school

but I'm from New Jersey so I don't actually have anything to add to this conversation that's probably over by now

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Martin St. Louis' cousin went to my school. Yay...?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers rookie camp roster has been posted

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

10 time All Star

:(

on that note, carol vadnais died the other day. RAS, ask your dads about him.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
david krejci extended for 6/43

seems like a decent deal for both sides, leaves him a ufa at 35 so boston probably isn't paying a premium for his declining years

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

seems a bit high to me but not in a way that could be a problem i think

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Verviticus posted:

seems a bit high to me but not in a way that could be a problem i think

its comfortably around the middle of his market value like all his contracts have been

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Zamboni Jesus posted:

david krejci extended for 6/43

seems like a decent deal for both sides, leaves him a ufa at 35 so boston probably isn't paying a premium for his declining years

I think 30 is well into the start of a player's declining years.. Unless you are one of those elite talents like Jarome Iginla or Pavel Datsyuk players don't tend to keep scoring into their mid 30's.

To me Krejci not going to be worth 7 mill 4 or 5 years from now, but we will see.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
So since I can't find the GCL thread, I'm gonna ask here. As a current GCL subscriber and Rogers customer, I'm wondering if it's worth cancelling GCL for the first half of the season. Rogers customers get it free until December 31 as far as I can tell. Any idea when they usually kick in the GCL discount part way through the season?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I think 30 is well into the start of a player's declining years.. Unless you are one of those elite talents like Jarome Iginla or Pavel Datsyuk players don't tend to keep scoring into their mid 30's.

To me Krejci not going to be worth 7 mill 4 or 5 years from now, but we will see.

with the way the cap is going and the way his career has progressed, he'll be at worst a mild overpayment in 4 or 5 years and the contract is nearly done by that point. boston has had him on a slight discount the last couple years so it balances out in the end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CDX posted:

So since I can't find the GCL thread, I'm gonna ask here. As a current GCL subscriber and Rogers customer, I'm wondering if it's worth cancelling GCL for the first half of the season. Rogers customers get it free until December 31 as far as I can tell. Any idea when they usually kick in the GCL discount part way through the season?

You'll probably miss a few weeks that way but it's around January/February.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Starsfan posted:

Agree with this, Bruins are giving him pretty big money for his declining years, but really the cap is going up up up so it probably won't hurt the Bruins.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Overpaying for the later years is the cost of getting him for the younger years.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What was the last contract that wasn't handwaved away with "well the cap is just going to keep going way up" or "well if they didn't pay it, someone else would have"

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

@strombone1

Guys I know it's getting frustrating but bare with me, my nudes will be leaked shortly.......

I think I got a stromboner.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

myron cope posted:

I forgot the Penguins had Christian Ehrhoff. It's cool!

Every time I go back to check the new lineup it is a nice time to know there is gonna be a more balanced and cool time to watch this season. Same for the Caps but moreso how bad they'll be.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Thufir posted:

Overpaying for the later years is the cost of getting him for the younger years.

Except he's already in the statistically declining years pretty much so they're paying for most of his later years

Still, probably not an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Krejci is a really good player and 7m+ is what really good players make. Good for him and good for the Bruins.

While players do decline into their 30s, I think Krejci's decline will be pretty graceful. He relies on great vision and passing ability and his success hasn't leveraged strength or speed too much. He's defensively able, but I think Bergeron gets the harder of those matchups for the top two lines. He's also pretty durable and doesn't really get himself into situations where he gets worn down much.

• Locked thread