Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I've been meaning to get into Apocalypse World for a while now. Looks dope, Foo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Confirming!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MildManeredManikin posted:

Somber, what is the best board game? I will use your answer to determine your alignment.

Probably something by Vladda Chvatil, like Galaxy Trucker! Battlestar Galactica is my favorite board game to play every few months.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Juanito posted:

I haven't even heard of any of these games.

I haven't even heard of you!

Dominion was fun for a couple years but I burnt myself out on it. I feel like a dick bringing it out when not everyone has played deckbuilders before too. Arctic Scavengers is fun if you can find a copy, it's another deckbuilder but with an element of actual player interaction.

I finally got my friends to play Fiasco after years of owning it and it is so, so much fun. There's not much game to it, but honestly I've found that my group has way more fun with indie nonsense games like The Quiet Year than anything more serious.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fiasco owns and is possibly the best game. Another game in a similar vein I want everyone to play to justify my purchase is One Last Job, which is all about getting the team back together for the Big Score despite the fact you all hate each other.

Well, you're the worst for making me buy another game.

Has anyone played Ribbon Drive? It looks fascinating but I'm hesitant to drop any money on it, because it is hard enough to get people together for several hours to play a single game, much less ask them to bring a mix-CD with them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Recently somebody offered me a chance to pitch a board game idea to a local company but even though I've thought it would be nice to make games, I am not a board game designer. So lately I've been desperately looking up game design stuff.

I am so crazy jealous. I had an opportunity to design an educational game for a startup once but they were all crazy and had bad ideas and I never got paid!

I have several folders full of completed game designs that I haven't prototyped if you wanna talk sometime!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
kill all dice.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##vote MMM for getting really weird about a jokevote and fishing for information. I don't care for Cpig either but he comes off better in that exchange.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
You did, you and FV were just way too intense about an obvious joke.

FV while we're here what do you think of

1) Jedit's night vote
2) Pig's soft claim

This is also a great way for scum to appear like they're contributing content and building connections without actually saying anything.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

But then I did say actual things?

Asking questions early on is also a good way to get reads from other people as well.

You were trying to draw inferences from an obvious joke. I don't buy that as 'saying something.'

I disagree with that, I think it's a solid scum tell to ask people to generate content for you rather than pushing your own opinions. If you had said "I think [x], what do you think FV?" then I would view it differently, but you waited for her to form an opinion before putting forth your own. Obviously everything is contextual but I don't like how you made that move.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
You don't see how scummy that method is? You're describing fence-sitting.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Everything cpig posted was obviously untrue. n0 investigations should really stupid.

CapitalistPig posted:

My reasoning is that I lied about being blocked n0.

I had a one shot cop I used up.

Jedit is scum.

my points are

1) You took cpig seriously for some reason, that exchange reads to me like he just called out your scumbuddy and you're trying to figure out how to play it. I also don't know why you would try to dismiss Jedit's vote, the reasoning is pretty clear and he's not wrong.

2) I don't like you saying 'oh hey fv please give me an opinion that sounds reasonable' right after the cpig stuff.

3) Your counter-reasoning feels fake and dismissive. Maybe you're confused but it reads more like you're just brushing me off.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm not going to speculate extensively on the setup but a n0 investigation is so random. You get to look at the alignment of a player, who you have no read on since they've made no real points. Then if you're scum and you get hit by a n0 investigation, that's it? good game oh well luck of the draw?

Again, this is what I mean by 'dismissive.' Now we're speculating on setup. You're addressing what I'm saying without really addressing it and you're pulling us away from content. I don't expect to convince you, I expect to convince other people.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Let's try this: Do you have any questions for me? Is there something I've said you think needs explaining?

Who are your scumbuddies?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

For reference, this is a scum post.

Yeah.

I read CipPag as town.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Where is the overcomplication? How is he distracting us from the "meat of the game"? N0 had started 2 minutes earlier and one person had confirmed.

Jedit, do you still stand by your opinion on MMM? I see you haven't revoted.

I didn't say that it was a strong case, but I read what he said as accusing MMM of white noise more than anything, which isn't really wrong even if Jedit was overeager.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Juanito posted:

Literally wouldn't be a mafia D1 here if we didn't complain about Meinberg

Hey what's up Juanito? Wanna lynch MMM?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Deadline is in less than 24 hours and I have no idea who is even on the table besides Merkin. If you don't want him to get lynched then make a more persuasive argument or something, it shouldn't be hard.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Also foo if you find time to put a votefinder image in the op that'd be super useful.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I could go in on Hal. He hasn't put forth anything meaningful despite being around.

Winson_Paine posted:

I actually like scum a lot better than town because I never know what to do with myself as town. Scum is easy, you get to have a plan and coordinate and so on. Also idk if this is a noob thing, I have been in three or four games now. That is not veteran but the shine has worn off a little.

That said, I have no clue. All the reads so far seem tenuous at best, and I haven't actually been in a game where a scum got hit on D1 so idk. I guess if I were to make a read? I dunno, I would expect scum to be more engaged or aggressive from go than passive to start. Like I would think it would behoove a scum player to entrench themselves in a position where you could start pointing fingers so if poo poo washed back your way it would be easier to deflect. Like, just sitting around or making jokes seems like it would make it easier to be a target, which is not something the informed minority wants but is fairly easy for the uninformed rabble to do.

WITH THAT IN MIND I look at the game and see... hmm. Maaaaaybe Sombrero? Maybe FV? Both seem a little too engaged for that to resolve for me tho. Jedit, maybe, but his not posting is as bad as my not posting so idk there. Pig seems super annoying but that is not really scummy and if I were scum I would probably try to not get lynched just to get me to shut the gently caress up. Grandi seems pretty hunty. I dunno, D1 calls suck but maybe Hal or Maltose would be my guess. Both very middle of the road picks.

Maybe in Zibarro Mafia!

This is actually really interesting, because it runs counter to most mafia theory. Active scum aren't incredibly unusual, but the problem with being engaged and active as scum is that it is easy to paint yourself in a corner. The best lies are those that contain the most truth, but at a certain point if you're playing too legitimately, you're going to accidentally get yourself lunched. At some point or another, scum have to either make bad arguments to get people on the other team lunched or have the town make those arguments for them. It's much easier to sit back and have someone else do the work for you, when possible.

I don't see Maltose and I'm not interested in voting him.

MMM saying he's bored and wants out doesn't do anything to change my mind. Seems like an emotional ploy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Juanito posted:

Pretty sure Hal is low effort town. I've got a ~feeling~

boooooo

Betting all my bottlecaps on MMM then.

Also didn't you describe him as bored vanilla? This is a role guaranteed game!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Somber, be nice.

I always take a while to get going!

I could get behind MMM I suppose, no real strong feelings about anyone yet.

I can't :( I think I have a disease.

That doesn't make me feel great about Merkin but I don't have any other strong reads.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

I take that back, I don't think MMM is a good lynch at all.

I am actually pretty comfortable with my vote where it is. Pig's tone is way off to me this game and that's really the only way to even read him. It has nothing to do with his meta-scumclaim (which is kind of funny).

Earlier you thought Meinberg came off worse in the exchange between him and Pig, with which I agree. What's changed in his tone since then and can you give me any kind of solid example as to how his tone here is different?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Merkin if you have anything useful to claim we could probably use it now, I see us apathy-lunching you otherwise.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I do kinda feel better about Hal than Merkin or Capitalist, but I can take a hint.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah you know, gently caress it. Do it live.

##vote CapitalistPig

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

If I'm lynched today you are all stupid and are going to lose.

eat it or make a better argument

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm v powerful.

I'm more powerful and I'll eat your body to become the most powerful.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
if you get a pet then this game is imbalanced imho.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Mark my words, Capitalist Pig is a future dead person.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
jk about the cat i'm gonna eat that too

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

When I flip please lynch this idiot next.

I'm the idiot then why are you going to die?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Jedit, are you Pig's cat?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm not, seriously, loving reread the interaction between me and somber and if you are town you should have no problem seeing that somber is scum.

I were scum why wouldn't I push

a) Merkin, who I have been on all day and would make me look consistent

b) Hal, because he's a popular target and any serious pressure would coerce Juanito to give up more information

c) Meinberg, because Meinberg

?

You're so close to actually making an argument, just go a little further!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I tried to grill them about it for a bit but I guess I forgot where I was going because this is ye olde "trying to make a read on day one" callout and it is bad.

Is that dramatically different from what you're doing now?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If that's true then I'm not particularly aware of it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That was in response to Jedit but I guess it also works for Capitalist.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Well yes, because

1) Your argument basically says that any inferences based on jokephase are invalid and thus nobody should exit jokephase

2) My criticism is not based on how much you had to infer from how little, but is instead based on it being poor logic.

That's not what my argument 'basically' says. That's a pretty selective bit to respond to anyway. My criticisms of you are largely about how you argue whether than what you argue, like taking a single point out of a larger context to prove something more or less unrelated. I was about to spend a fair amount of time writing a response to this line of argument and then I realized that isn't scumhunting and neither are you.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Is there a cat lady faction in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
oh ahahah that you're 'world-aligned.'

cpig please.

• Locked thread