Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quote:

Nobody remembers how or why. Maybe nobody ever knew. The oldest living survivors have childhood memories of it: cities burning, society in chaos then collapse, families set to panicked flight, the weird nights when the smoldering sky made midnight into a blood-colored half-day. Now the world is not what it was. Look around you: evidently, certainly, not what it was. But also close your eyes, open your brain: something is wrong. At the limits of perception, something howling, everpresent, full of hate and terror. From this, the world’s psychic maelstrom, we none of us have shelter.

quote:

...the characters are together against a horrific world. They’re carving out their little space of hope and freedom in the filth and violence, and they’re trying to hold onto it. Do they have it in them? What are they going to have to do to hold it together? Are they prepared, tough enough, strong enough and willing? They’re together, sure, but they’re desperate and they’re under a lot of pressure. If there’s not enough to go around (and is there ever?), who’ll stick together and who’ll turn on whom? Who do you trust, and who should you trust, and what if you get it wrong?

This World of ours, it loving sucks. But it's what we've got. And something is loving brewing. There's 11 strong personalities, 11 loving hot people, 11 crazy fuckers that will impose their will on this little town of ours. It's not a town. It's the World. And there are some of us, some of the 11 that care about the whole World thing, and are trying to make a little corner of this blasted hellscape something worth living in. And there are a few, the chaos-bent, the destroyers, the Apocalypse Pact - that are trying to tear down everything. The world is poo poo, and so are all of us. But can we find the truly Apocalyptic among us?

Welcome to Apocalypse World Mafia, a game for 11 players. All 11 of the core playbooks (Angel, Battlebabe, Brainer, Chopper, Driver, Gunlugger, Hardholder, Hocus, Operator, Savvyhead, Skinner) are in use, each with their own Moves and abilities. Two of the playbooks have fixed alignments, the remaining alignment choices were assigned randomly. It is likely that this game is not finely balanced, so please do not sign up if that is an issue! There is a Night 0 in this game, if you can act during Night 0 you will be told in your Playbook PM. On Night 0 and Night 0 only, you may talk in the thread, otherwise please do not talk after the hammer. Otherwise, Standard Mafia Rules apply.

1. CapitalistPig
  2. fiery_valkyrie
  3. Grandicap
  4. Hal Incandenza
  5. Jedit
  6. Juanito
  7. Meinberg
  8. MildManeredManikin
  9. Mr. Maltose
  10. Somberbrero
  11. Winson_Paine

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MildManeredManikin posted:

Is this a mafia lite?

It is still a Mafia game, you will still lynch people, there will still be nightkills, etc.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Carpet Shark posted:

Is this newbie friendly?

Not really, but you're welcome to jump in if you want to anyway!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

One more! Carpetshark or Triple M?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Excellent. Final game setup taking place now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

All PMs away.

It is now Night 0. Night 0 will last up to 24 hours.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

Reiner Knizia designed Tigris and Euphrates, which according to BGG is a great game, but he gets routinely panned by the same people for almost everything else he makes. Everyone can have a good day.

Me, I don't like games with excessive weight so I don't like Mage Knight. I prefer games with rules that are more streamlined and readily learned. Like this:

##vote MMM

Wants to distract us from the real meat of the game with a bunch of overcomplications? Scum for sure.

You can't vote at Night!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

D1 will start tonight. I unexpectedly have rugby practice so I may not be able to turn the game over at 11:30 as anticipated but I will do it before I head to sleep.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The sun rises, as do many of the denizens of the Apocalypse. Some of you slept, some of you were creeping around during the night. It's a fuckin' ugly mess of a day as tensions start to rise. Everyone knows that everything that's been built up from the concrete, grime, oil, and maybe a little bit of water and hope - everything in this shithole of a World - everything depends on the next few days. You all look at each other, all knowing that in a few short hours, people would, unless hell froze over, start dying. That's the way it goes in Apocalypse World. Get busy living, or get busy dying.

It is now Day 1.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Somberbrero posted:

Also foo if you find time to put a votefinder image in the op that'd be super useful.

ok, also av check

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

Foo: can you edit the OP to include links to the individual post histories?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MildManeredManikin posted:

Foo can we force cpig to eat a bug?

If you know where he lives, I guess?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I read the watermark as "Penis" at first.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Votecount for Day 1

Jedit (4): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig, Meinberg, Winson_Paine, Hal Incandenza, Somberbrero, fiery_valkyrie, Winson_Paine
Somberbrero (1): CapitalistPig, Jedit, Jedit
Winson_Paine (1): Jedit
Meinberg (1): Grandicap
Mr. Maltose (0): fiery_valkyrie, fiery_valkyrie
CapitalistPig (0): Meinberg, Hal Incandenza, Meinberg, Somberbrero, Juanito, Juanito, Somberbrero, Hal Incandenza
MildManeredManikin (0): Somberbrero, CapitalistPig, Somberbrero, CapitalistPig, Somberbrero, Somberbrero

Not Voting (4): Juanito, MildManeredManikin, Mr. Maltose, Winson_Paine

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 05th, 2014 at 7:30 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Day 1 Has ended. It is now Night 1. Night 1 will last until approximately until Sunday evening, approximately 48 hours from now - or earlier if all actions are in and I have time to post.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

As the new day dawns, everyone reconvenes, eyeing each other warily. Some with suspicions, some with trust. But again, could anyone be really trusted? And then the difference between yesterday and today is clear:

Mr. Maltose, World-Aligned Savvyhead, was killed Night 1!

quote:

If there’s one loving thing you can count on in Apocalypse World, it’s: things break.

You are Leah, World-Aligned Savvyhead. You win when all threats to the World have been eliminated.

Basic Move:
Go Aggro: During the day, you may ##vote.

Savvyhead Moves; you may only act once per night.
Deep Insights: Each night, you may ##augur a player, and identify their Playbook.
Oftener Right: Once at night, you may ##bonefeel a single post, and be told whether or not there is a lie in the post.

You may use Deep Insights Night 0.

It is now Day 2.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FULL DISCLOSURE: I hosed UP, SOMEONE'S ACTION FAILED LAST NIGHT THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE. THIS HAS ALTERED THE FLOW OF THE GAME AND INFORMATION WAS REVEALED THAT OTHERWISE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN, SO WE'RE JUST ROLLING WITH IT.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phone post:

Mmm world-aligned Battlebabe, 1shot bp, can hammer at -2

Will post a real flip and such later

I can't close the thread but don't post

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The sun was setting, yet it still wasn't even dusky. Just that late part of the day when the heat sets in and things get uncomfortable. So uncomfortable, it seems, that one of the people feuding over the World took out a shotgun. That wasn't the unusual part, weapons are easy to come by in Apocalypse World. The unusual part is that they blew their own drat head off. That'll fuckin' show them.

Votecount for Day 2

MildManeredManikin (6): Somberbrero, Somberbrero, Somberbrero, Meinberg, CapitalistPig, Winson_Paine, MildManeredManikin, MildManeredManikin
Somberbrero (0): Somberbrero, Meinberg, CapitalistPig, Somberbrero, MildManeredManikin, Somberbrero, Meinberg, MildManeredManikin, Somberbrero, CapitalistPig
Winson_Paine (0): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig

Not Voting (5): fiery_valkyrie, Grandicap, Hal Incandenza, Jedit, Juanito

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to lynch.

On Day 2, MildManneredMannikin, World-Aligned Battlebabe, was executed!

quote:

Even in a place as dangerous as Apocalypse World, battlebabes are, well. They’re the ones you should walk away from, eyes down, but you can’t. They’re the ones like the seductive blue crackling light, y’know? You mistake looking at them for falling in love, and you get too close and it’s a zillion volts and your wings burn off like paper. Dangerous.

You are Violetta, World-Aligned Battlebabe. You win when all threats to the World are eliminated.

Basic Move:

Battlebabe Moves:
Merciless: If you ##vote someone who is at -2, it is a double vote and hammers.
Impossible Reflexes: You are one-shot bulletproof.

It is now Night 2. Night 2 will end at approximately 8:30pm tomorrow; T-22 hours.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 10, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

edited in a final votecount

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The sun rises again on Apocalypse World, with one fewer living soul. Somberbrero was a large power broker in the area, with authority over many. But even the powerful die just as the weak do.

On Night 2, Somberbrero, World-Aligned Hardholder, was killed!

quote:

There is no government, no society, in Apocalypse World. When hardholders ruled whole continents, when they waged war on the other side of the world instead of with the hold across the burn-flat, when their armies numbered in the hundreds of thousands and they had loving boats to hold their loving airplanes on, that was the golden age of legend. Now, anyone with a concrete compound and a gang of gunluggers can claim the title. What other authority is there?

You are Vega, World-Aligned Hardholder. You win when all threats to the World are eliminated.

Basic Move:

Hardholder Moves:
Leadership: Four other players (at random) are your lieutenants.
Wealth: Each night, you may roll 2d6 for the next day. 10+, gain a ##secondvote. 7-9, look into your hold. You may privately ##investigate any of your lieutenants, but if you do, you may not vote for any of your lieutenants. The results of the investigation will be sent to you ASAP. 6-, you are -1 to lynch. If you get to -2 and survive, you gain +1. If you get to -1 and survive, you gain +2..

You may use Wealth Night 0.

It is now Day 3.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

On Day 3, Grandicap attempted to ##shoot fiery_valkyrie. This action failed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think I've entirely hosed this game up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think it might be more than just that need to do some forensics

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Okay, in order to fix this I do have to confirm and correct a couple of actions, but I don't think it will be gamebreaking:

Hal is in Jedit's gang as of last night.
This is wrong, Juanito should have been recruited instead.

I will not be altering the gang, but this is what happened.

Cpig's latest post with my correction to him is confirmed.

Sorry for the fuckups, but I BELIEVE we're back on track now.

I realize that modconfirming actions takes away from the game quite a bit, but we're somewhat into things now and it's the only way I felt I could fairly unfuck things.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Trust and lack thereof swirled through the town during the day, and the people found their scapegoat. They kicked fiery_valkyrie to the ground and let the bullets fly. There was satisfaction...for now.

On Day 3, fiery_valkyrie, Apocalypse-Aligned Skinner, was executed!

quote:

Even in the filth of Apocalypse World, there’s food that isn’t death on a spit, music that isn’t shrieking hyenas, thoughts that aren’t afraid, bodies that aren’t used meat, sex that isn’t rutting, dancing that’s real. There are moments that are more than stench, smoke, rage and blood. Anything beautiful left in this ugly rear end world, skinners hold it. Will they share it with you? What do you offer them?

You are Frost, Apocalypse-Aligned Skinner. You win when you control the World.

Basic Move:
Seize By Force: You and the other Apocalypse-Aligned players may agree each night on a single ##nightkill. One of you must perform it, and you cannot perform any other actions.

Skinner Moves:
An Arresting Skinner: Each night, you may ##skin a player, preventing them from taking any actions of their own.
Hypnotic: All actions except ##vote targeting you have a 50% chance of failure.

It is now Night 3. Night 3 will last until Sunday at approximately 2:00pm.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Morning comes, and people are starting to run ragged. Everyone's at each other's throats. But usually, a car pulls up to the center of town. Not today, and not again.

On Night 3, Winson_Paine, World-Aligned Driver, was killed!

quote:

Came the apocalypse, and the infrastructure of the Golden Age tore apart. Roads heaved and split. Lines of life and communication shattered. Cities, cut off from one another, raged like smashed anthills, then burned, then fell. A few living still remember it: every horizon scorching hot with civilization in flames, light to put out the stars and moon, smoke to put out the sun. In Apocalypse World the horizons are dark, and no roads go to them.

You are Suv, World-Aligned Driver. You win when all threats to the World are eliminated.

Basic Move:

Driver Moves:
A No poo poo Driver: You may ##drive any two players during the night. All other actions targeting the first player will instead target the second, and vice versa. If you ##drive, roll 2d6. 10+, you may ##drive again the next night. 7-9, you must wait one night. 6-, you must wait two nights.
Daredevil: If you get to -1 and survive, you are lynchproof the next day.

It is now Day 4.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Grandicap posted:

Val is still alive in votefinder.

Will fix when back at a computer, thanks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Votecount for Day 4

CapitalistPig (3): Meinberg, Jedit, Meinberg
Jedit (2): Grandicap, CapitalistPig

Not Voting (2): Hal Incandenza, Juanito

With 6 alive, it's 4 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 15th, 2014 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Day 4 has ended. It is now Night 4. Day 5 will begin ASAP.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Daybreak. Red sky at morning...well that used to mean something, some pithy rhyme. Now it just means everything's a strange color. The truth will wait a little longer, won't it? The sunrise is something beautiful, but that can't last. Especially not with the clouds rolling in from the shore.

It is now Day 5.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The fifth day ended with a brutal shootout. Bullets flying in all directions. The air toxic with lead dust and dirt. And when the night's breeze blew in, it was Jedit lying on the ground with most of his blood nearby.

On Day 5, Jedit, Maelstrom-Aligned Hocus, was executed!

quote:

Now it should be crystal loving obvious that the gods have abandoned Apocalypse World. Maybe in the golden age, with its one nation under god and its in god we trust, maybe then the gods were real. hosed if I know. All I know is that now they’re gone daddy gone. My theory is that these weird hocus fuckers, when they say “the gods,” what they really mean is the miasma left over from the explosion of psychic hate and desperation that gave Apocalypse World its birth. Friends, that’s our creator now.

You are Brightside, Maelstrom-Aligned Hocus. You win when you and your followers are the only ones left alive.

Basic Move:

Hocus Moves:
loving Wacknut: You cannot be investigated.
Charismatic: You may ##recruit a follower each night.

You may use Charismatic Night 0.

It is now Night 5. Day 6 will begin ASAP.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sun rises, and so do four. Death stinks in the air, but it's still a world worth fighting for, civilization can still be rebuilt. That is the promise of the ungiven future, but there's the point: ungiven.

On Night 5, Hal Incandenza, World-Aligned Chopper, was killed!

quote:

Apocalypse World is all scarcity, of course it is. There’s not enough wholesome food, not enough untainted water, not enough security, not enough light, not enough electricity, not enough children, not enough hope. However, the Golden Age Past did leave us two things: enough gasoline, enough bullets. Come the end, I guess the fuckers didn’t need them like they thought they would. So chopper, there you are. Enough for you.

You are Hammer, World-Aligned Chopper. You win when all threats to the World are eliminated.

Basic Move:

Chopper Moves; you may only use one move each night.
Pack Alpha: You may ##recruit a person into your gang each night.
loving Thieves: You may ##thieve a player each night. 10+ on 2d6, you steal their vote and gain a ##secondvote. 7-9, you steal their vote but a random other player gets their vote - anonymously. 6-, they steal your vote. If you get to -2 and survive, you gain +1. If you get to -1 and survive, you gain +2.

You may use Pack Alpha Night 0.

It is now Day 6.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Y'all should post

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

buh whatever have another half hour i guess

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Day 6 has ended. It is now Night 6. Day 7 will begin ASAP.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Emotions running high, sanity running ragged. The goddamn World is worth saving...isn't it? You all reconvene for another day of hell.

It is now Day 7.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Juanito posted:

Also what happens if we continue to nolynch and the scum withholds like a scaredy cat?

I murder everyone

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The sun had barely risen on the seventh day. The beautiful people looked at each other, and with grim resolve, blasted one of their own into a like pile of dead meat. It was over. The World would rebuild.

On Day 7, Grandicap, Apocalypse-Aligned Gunlugger, was executed!

The World has won!

I'm on my phone so I can't post the doc right now, but thanks for playing and feel free to post your role if it hasn't been yet.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mod doc https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10p_ejEsUsw91_4iA1ATLfTFyjTUHn6jobVQMypusiwE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

My general thoughts, though you can see my running thought process in the mod doc:

Either I didn't allot myself enough time to run updates, or the game was too complicated; I botched a lot of important things.
Though flavorful, I think there were too many masonries and it took away from in-thread discussion.
Despite that, I was a bit disappointed in the overall lack of posting in the latter half of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Also: I would like to run a version of this at some point in the future, but I don't know how well it would work as an open setup. Thoughts? I've also thought about writing some of the Limited Edition playbooks into roles; the Touchstone, the Juggernaut, the Faceless, the Maestro 'd, the Solace, the Quarantine.

• Locked thread