Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OnGamers has an extended interview with Doublelift. Really gives some perspective on how bad things got for CLG. It shows how big the psychology of the team was with regards to their gigantic tilt spree.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Faker still looks really good, though it's now arguable he's no longer the best mid in the world; Dade and Pawn can at least contest that title, it's more that Bengi and Mandu have really fallen off.

Faker's still the best because of his highly diverse champion pool, but it's only a matter of time before dade and Pawn catch up.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm hoping CLG won't be relegated and that they'll fix their problems for next season. I generally like the players involved and want them to succeed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Riot is morally obligated to ensure that pr0lly continues to perform in and analyze the LCS. This is my right as an American citizen.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just can't stand watching the EU LCS unless it's changed dramatically in the past split. The style of play that I watched was always this agonizingly slow fight-avoiding model.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Well, I just came back to find out that CLG's about to be relegated. Dexter's cam looks like me after a 10-game losing streak: loving dead silent with an empty stare.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No one on CLG looks happy right now, Jesus.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Both temporary shields and permanent healing need either much higher opportunity costs or much, much lower scaling. They've been doing this with healing, which is good, but the idea of making it so Orianna doesn't have an extra 500+ effective HP every few seconds seems to not be on the radar.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alright, let's get some opinions: do we think CLG will go with a shield-based comp that protects Doublelift, or a shield-based comp that protects Doublelift?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's something magical about the fact that CLG, no matter how much the core roster changes, inevitably always falls back to Protect the Doublelift when the chips are down. Even when Doublelift leaves, his spirit will remain.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exethan posted:

They have a tristana, ryze, and ziggs. surely they'll beat a lategame hecarim

They would have to do the world's most massive throw to lose. CA has horrendous siege potential, and there's no way they're going to be diving inhib turrets with aphromoo on Alistar.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rewatching game 3, I noticed that Dexter actually flashed forwards to make sure the hook would hit him instead of Link at the first dragon fight. Really drat good reactive play from him. It probably won them the game, honestly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Yeah, it was Voyboy levels of terrible pick. Literally all 5 members of the enemy team could counter the horse.

By the time Hecarim was picked, CA had lost the game, straight up. They handed Tristana to loving Doublelift (who, despite his occasional boneheaded plays, is still one of the best NA ADCs), Alistar to Aphromoo (arguably one of Aphro's best champions), and Ziggs to Link. They could have had Faker on their team playing Ahri or something and still would have lost, because Ziggs could stall out the game to 40 minutes and then watch Ryze and Tristana dumpster everyone.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I wasn't saying it was the reason they lost. I was saying it was a garbage pick.

With how dramatically they got outpicked, you may as well try a Hail Mary. In that situation, it was no more or less a "garbage pick" than anything else on the board.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

Does anyone know what would have happened it CA had made it into the LCS? The new rule kind of prevents them from getting in, doesn't it?

I presume there would've been a grace period of X days where CA could be handed off to another owner.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My suspicion after having seen Keane play is that he knew the jig was up and wanted to do something fun and unpredictable after seeing the writing on the wall.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Just because all of your options are bad doesn't make it not a bad pick.

In an objective vacuum, yes, middle Hecarim is a bad pick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kooriken posted:

People just don't learn that Tristana is the most busted champ in the game right now. She is legitimately just way too good.

It's so loving weird. There is no one in the game more worthy of a first pick than her right now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jonny Angel posted:

Interesting that Monte picks #3 EU over #1 NA, but also picks #2 NA over #1 EU. Does he think that playoffs were that much of a fluke, or that the respective teams will shine/choke that hard on the world stage?

I suspect it's mostly based on past playoff/Worlds performances. Cloud 9 has a nearly impeccable record, and I believe Fnatic has also consistently shown up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Disinterested posted:

Nonetheless, I fail to see what's such a big deal about it. It's way milder smacktalk than you get in other sports.

That hardly makes it excusable. This sort of stuff adds absolutely nothing to the sport and makes it a far worse experience for everyone involved.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ihki posted:

I like smack talk, just there's a difference between "I'm the best and everyone else is trash :v:" and "you're a dumb fraud and I unironically hate you as a person".

Yeah, precisely. This is in no way "friendly banter" - it's vicious backbiting.

Disinterested posted:

As far as I can see, there are only three botlane hypercarries: Tristana, Vayne and Kogmaw. The only other champions I think have a shot at that title are: Yi, Yasuo, Tryndamere? and maybe Karthus and Nasus.

Fiora can easily take the hypercarry role due to her ultimate and the fact that Riposte, with a bit of luck, can give you an extra 500-1000+ effective health depending on if you block a crit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rengar seems like such a risky jungle pick, honestly. There's maybe three or four junglers in the entire professional scene who've been able to make him work consistently.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yukari posted:

Why are there so many people with the 1x crit Red rune? I get why a marksman would do it, but on the jungler or support?

Fights and lane dominance can easily get decided by a couple of HP. That chance, slim as it is, can turn things very quickly in your favor at the right time. Gangplank used to be like this: he'd get to lane, fire off a Parrley, and knock off a third of your HP. The lane was basically lost at that point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinity Edge Alistar at Worlds...????

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I feel bad for TPA. This isn't the kind of run you want to have when you're the home team. :smith:

AnonSpore posted:

I can't watch right now, can anyone tell me how loud the crowd is booing SK's victory

It was very muted. If I could make a comparison, it was like when the KT Bullets won at IEM: some applause but no raucous cheering or anything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

TSM is playing so awful, the pressure? Amazing is missing everything and almost dying and going to deep. RIP TSM

The pressure is apparently getting to the camerapeople as well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I can't think of a worse champion and a worse place to jump into, wow. Maybe Poppy?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wow, bunch of loving shits booing in the crowd.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Booing that loving poo poo who called them all ching chongs and made fun of them yeah wow that crowd is so bm.

That's a single member of their team. The rest of the team doesn't deserve to be booed for what was an otherwise excellent outplay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

skystream92 posted:

Too bad. He represents SK gaming's org as a whole. If they don't want to be booed, remove him from the team.

I think Reginald acts like an absolute child, and is far more the face of TSM than Svenskaren is SK's, but I would not vocally boo TSM for winning a game. Considering how many TSM cheers have been coming out of the crowd previously, this was not simply, "I don't like Svenskaren." It is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Flameingblack posted:

That wasn't excellent, that was a sloppy, awful game where everyone played awful.

The game was really sloppy from both sides, yes, but SK did a much better play to counter TSM's at the end. That's all it came down to.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Regi is a shithead and really cocky, but he talks trash about teams or players, he isn't a giant racist idiot.

My point stands: I dislike both of those people for what they do, but I am not going to boo the teams that they happen to be on, because they are not representative of the team as a whole. They should absolutely be punished and browbeaten for what they've done, but being rude to the team as a whole after a victory isn't a good thing to do, either. It's not like people were yelling, "I hate you, Svenskaren!" or something.

Flameingblack posted:

TSM beat TSM, they made a really awful mistake against a 6-item Vayne who could easily have ended the game if TSM didn't pick her off early in a teamfight. That was absolutely TSM's game to lose at the end, and they did.

SK made the right decision to collapse behind them instead of trying to recall and frontally fight them, though. Like, it was absolutely an idiotic maneuver by TSM, but credit has to be given for SK in how they handled it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jackie D posted:

the crowd was rude to the racist my sensibilities are v offended

I will try and restate this again to clear up any further confusion: Svenskaren's racism is inexcusable, and I'm glad that he was punished for it. I do not think that Svenskaren, the player, should be conflated with SK Gaming, the team, after a win in a professional game. Consequently, people booing the entire team for the actions of a single player is disrespectful.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Vermain please teach me how to cheer for a win but show your disdain for a giant racist at the same time, thanks.

It is hard to separate the two. I dislike the entire team getting beleaguered for one dude being a racist, much as how I dislike TSM gaining a poor reputation because of Reginald's actions. The points raised are fair, though, so I retract my previous statements and apologize for them. That was definitely something said in the heat of the moment that eventually hit the end of its logical track.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

If I were a Raven's fan I would boo the team every single loving game until they cut Ray Rice for beating his wife, just for keeping him there. You're showing your displeasure for the organization keeping someone who's racist, or a woman-beater, or whatever the scenario is until that member is kicked off and replaced. Samsung White is my favorite team to win right now, but if Mata started calling everyone from Alliance White Devils I'd start to boo the Samsung Organization until they got rid of him.

The point is that you're a racist apologist so shut up.

You're right. Again, I apologize. I didn't think out the implications of the argument I was making beforehand.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

blablablabla posted:

Speaking as a Raven's fan maybe booing people with 0 influence over that decision is pointless, or i love wife beaters.

The point is correct: that publicly shaming the organization is sometimes the only way to get them to effectively change out someone, since it produces negative press that might not otherwise be seen through more private channels.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calm posted:

Jesus SSW...

This game is absolutely unreal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

How big is the gap between White and Blue right now, would you say? I didn't catch the end of Champions Summer, so I haven't a clue how a Best of 5 would go. White looks extremely dominant right now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've enjoyed pr0lly and Krepo a lot this year. pr0lly's just got such a great personal charisma when it comes to broadcasting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Might be of interest to folks in the thread: a contract lawyer reviewed the general contract for LCS players and posted their findings.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ihki posted:

The article posted above about LCS contracts is a pretty interesting read, and is not the only reason I think pro gamers really need to unionize. From a gaming scene next to us there's just some some horror stories of how that can go wrong.

And from a more "traditional" entertainment venue, the story of American pro-wrestling is instructive. I was honestly a little agape after learning how much these players have to practice, and some of the restrictions (not having a girlfriend, etc.) placed on them. I can't think that's healthy, even in the short term.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Daemonlasher posted:

Bit of a repost from the standard league thread but I went into a analysis for the TSM vs SHRC game 2 at my blog http://louisonleague.wordpress.com for those that are interested. I plan on doing a coverage of a game per day of the rest of group stages, and then bracket stage series. In the future I'll be covering basically most of pro League (LCS, LPL, OGN, etc.) and plan on updating 2-3 times a week, during off season with general game knowledge/analysis.

This is a really great blog. I always appreciate a more in-depth analysis of these games and the playstyles of teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is Rivington drunk?

• Locked thread