Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
It's been a while since you've saw...anything, really.

Right now, you're on a bus headed for Silent Hill, a resort town in Maine. There's only two other guys on the bus, for whatever reason, minus the surly-looking driver. Outside of the bus is a thick fog that completely envelopes the vehicle. The sound of the road hasn't changed at all.
After what seems like an hour or two of silence, the driver suddenly perks up. He looks at everyone through the mirror with dull eyes, and speaks with a cigarette-scarred voice.
"Hey, the stop for Silent Hill's comin' up. Get your things."
Wait, 'stop'? You're pretty sure you're going to a bus station...
Eventually, the driver slows down, the air brakes hiss, and you stop. He opens the door, and as you walk to the front, he smiles.
"Welcome to Silent Hill! Enjoy your trip."

You step off the bus, into a...gas station. Far cry from a station, that's for sure. You can hear the bus peel off behind you, and not much else. The town sounds completely empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alan Cross

I stepped off the bus, pulling a cigarette out of my pocket, lighting it and taking in a well-deserved smoke. It had been too long on that bus without being able to take one smoke break. I looked around the gas station as I inhaled. This was the stop for Silent Hill? Couldn't the driver have taken us further into town? For that matter, has this gas station even been used in the last five years? I thought this was supposed to be a bustling tourist town.

I pulled the cigarette out of my mouth, slowly blowing out the tobacco smoke with a sigh. "Silent Hill is right," I quipped to myself.

Waffleman_ posted:

Alan Cross

High Concept: Renowned Mystery Novelist
Trouble: Throw It Out And Start Over!
Aspect: Stone-Faced Optimist

Skills:

+4: Investigate
+3: Will, Notice
+2: Empathy, Lore, Physique
+1: Drive, Athletics, Deceive, Contacts

Stunts:

Elementary!: Alan gains a +2 to Investigate when investigating dead bodies or crime scenes.
I Know What You're Going To Do: Alan can spend a Fate point to place the aspect Got My Eye On You on an NPC and anticipate their actions.
Wait, What's That?: If Alan succeeds with style on a Notice roll, he gains two free invokes of a consequence instead of one.

Stress:
Phys: OOO
Ment: OOOO

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Leila Shigane

FP 3/3

The bus lurches to a stop as I stare out the window. Silent Hill has a rep as a resort town--that means what I should be seeing is some kind of transit center. Buses, trams, and taxis all rolling in and out to whereever their happy passengers want. A gas station--which, judging by the dollar fifty a gallon pricing being advertised hasn't been used for a while--is not what I was expecting. As I step off the bus with my messenger bag (it's not a purse. Don't call it a purse) over my shoulder and get my bearings--nope, no transit station a short walk further on--I turn back to the driver and call out. "Hey driver! What's the big--"

He shuts the door in my face and peels off in a right hurry. Never seen a bus do that before. With a grunt, I shift my bag and look at my fellow travellers. "Well, then. This doesn't look much like a resort. Where'd that jerk actually drop us off?"

Leila Shigane posted:

High Concept: Headstrong Former Detective
Sample Invoke: Dig for evidence, treat everything like a case
Sample Compel: Be full of yourself for your supposed superiority

Trouble: "Reason for Dismissal--Potential Liability to Department"
Sample Invoke: A natural sense of justice and righteousness
Sample Compel: Stick your head in places where you REALLY shouldn't, and drag people with you
This is the "propel forwards into danger" aspect

Aspect: Don't Let Anything In
Sample Invoke: I can look at dead bodies and not blink
Sample Compel: Critical emotional stability failure--breakdown on the spot

Skills
Great +4: Notice
Good +3: Investigate, Provoke
Fair +2: Athletics, Rapport, Shoot
Average +1: Fight, Stealth, Empathy, Will

Stunts
Keep it Together...!: Mental Consequences created against you don't come with a free invoke.
Cleared to Fire: When invoking an advantage created by another PC during a Shoot Attack, you may add +3 instead of +2 to the roll.
Bloodhound Nose: Anyone (including you) using an advantage created by Notice to reroll can use six dice to roll, choosing any four for the result.

Stress
Phys: OOO
Ment: OOO

Refresh: 3?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 2, 2014

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hunter Parker

"That's a good question." I furrow my brow; nobody leaves that quickly unless they're upset about something. Maybe the driver was just unprofessional. "Do either of you have a map? I meant to buy one once I was in town. Failing that..." I gesture vaguely at the gas station. "We check there, or we start walking, I suppose."

Antivehicular posted:

Hunter Parker

"Oh, Silent Hill? A friend of mine from school told me it was a wonderful getaway, just wonderful. Remote, lots of outdoors... I do love the outdoors. It's very peaceful. You can really think out there."

Hunter Parker is a recent college graduate who's taking a break before he begins veterinary school. A well-groomed, well-dressed, polite young man, Hunter makes pleasant small talk but is taciturn about his own goals. He says he's got a lot of things on his mind, and he hopes the trip to Silent Hill will clear his head. While he expresses interest in the outdoors, his only real outdoor hobby is target shooting, at which he's quite skilled. Otherwise... well, he's not sure what he plans to do. He's not sure about a lot of things.

High Concept: Brilliant, Well-Coached Pre-Vet Student
Hunter is the first son of an ambitious upper-middle-class family, and ever since his school district first called him "gifted," he's been groomed to take up a prestigious and high-paying occupation. His decision to go to veterinary school instead of medical school has disappointed his parents a bit, but he's reassured them that it's still a fine job, and he really does love animals. Usually.
Invoke to: Help an animal in peril, know zoology or first aid, have knowledge and skills common to the American petit bourgeoisie
Compel to: Go out of your way to help an animal, have book knowledge but not street knowledge, be ignorant of the working-class world, overthink things, not always hide resentment of parents

Secondary Aspect: Restless Millennial
Hunter has always been pushed into things, and he's rarely had any time to really figure out what he wants out of life, so he dabbles in a lot of subjects and hobbies. He's tried a lot of things a few times, but almost nothing has clicked. On the plus side, he has a very broad realm of experience, and if you need a journeyman knowledge of something, there's a good chance Hunter has it.
Invoke to: Know interesting factoids, have a little bit of skill in an esoteric field, be flexible and well-read
Compel to: Have no in-depth knowledge of a subject, have no real passion or direction

Trouble: I Am God Or I Am Nothing
Hunter puts up a good front, but secretly, he's always felt hollow inside; he's wondered for a while if he's a sociopath, although he's deliberately not sought a diagnosis. Just about the only thing that gives him real happiness or security is exercising control over his environment and proving he's the one with power in a situation, even if that requires a certain degree of cruelty. Very secretly, this is why Hunter wants to be a vet and not a doctor... sure, he loves animals, but not all animals deserve to live, and as a veterinarian, he can exercise his judgment and power without as much supervision. Hunter is only alive when he's deciding who lives and who dies.
Invoke to: Stay in control under pressure, will away weakness, make life-or-death decisions
Compel to: Be a petty tyrant, be callous and calculating, kill a helpless thing because you can

Skills
Great (+4): Will
Good (+3): Deceive, Lore
Fair (+2): Rapport, Shoot, Investigate
Average (+1): Drive, Athletics, Notice, Stealth

Stunts
Attention to Detail (Investigate): Use Investigate instead of Empathy to defend against Deceive attacks.
Good With Animals (Rapport): +2 to Rapport to calm down or otherwise make a positive connection with animals.
I've Read About That! (Lore): Spend a fate point to justify using Lore for one action/exchange, provided it can be justified as something you read.

Stress
Physical OO
Mental OOOO

Refresh 3

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross
FP: 3/3

I blew out another cloud of smoke and turned towards the gas station. "I suppose it only makes sense to check this place out first. Gas station in a tourist town like this should have maps. If anything, there's probably an attendant we can ask directions."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Leila Shigane
FP 3/3

I look at the smoking man with a bit of surprise. "You really think a place this old has an attendant?" I shrug. "Place looks all dried up. I'd sure like gas for a dollar forty-nine a gallon. But I guess ten year old maps are better than being lost in the rear end end of nowhere." I start stepping forwards towards the door. "You guys coming' in or waitin' on me?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hunter Parker

"Oh, I'll come with you. It was my idea, after all." I start walking towards the gas station, one hand going into the pocket of my coat to discreetly check my phone. If I could get signal out here, that would be an easy way to get a map and some proper bearings. Of course, that was a pretty big "if"...

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Hunter
No signal, no wi-fi, no service. Your phone is completely useless as a means of communication. Looks like you're stuck with the old-fashioned type of map for the time being...provided you can find some.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 3-1?/3

As I stride towards the door, I reach into my messenger bag and pull out a little flashlight. It's not police issue--if it were it'd be a lot bigger and heavier--but it lights places up enough. I give it a shake and flip it on, and it flickers to life. It feels kind of small at the moment...eh, it's just the fog. It'll burn off.

Spending an FP to say that Leila does, in fact, have a flashlight on her already.

"Hello?" I call as I push the door open, trying not to sneeze at the dust. "Anybody?"

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Sure, I'll happily take the FP.

Leila
Nobody returns your calls. The place is dead silent, and it seems you're the only visitor this place has had in a long while.
Directly in front of you is a checkout counter, and a kiosk of different brochures and maps. To the left are just empty shelves and coolers, some sporting cobwebs. Several different bottles and boxes are laying on the ground, along with some general debris, and more than a few tiles are cracked or outright missing. Above you, fluorescent lights with broken tubes hang from the ceiling precariously. Everything is covered in a fine layer of dust.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

As I looked around the decrepit gas station, I let out a huff of air. "And this is the bus stop? It looks abandoned. There's gotta be something here."

I decided to channel my inner Jake Shore and look around the place by the woman's light.

Investigating the gas station for anything we can use.
<Krysmbot> Waffleman, /+/-+4 = 4

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hunter Parker

No big surprise on the phone, really, but it was worth a shot. I make a beeline for the maps, looking for something that shows Silent Hill and the surrounding area in enough detail to navigate by -- at least, to find our way to the tourist district or city center. If this is such a big tourist town, there's got to at least be an information center, right?

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Alan
You browse the empty shelves, trying to think if you could use this kind of location on one of your next books. The boxes and bottles on the floor are all empty, except for one. A box of ammo lies hidden among the debris. When you look up from the floor, you see that the woman's light fell on something in the far corner of the room, causing a metal part of it to glint. When you walk closer to investigate, you discover that a pocket knife has been thrust into the wall.

Pocket Knife
Simple folding pocket knife. Easy to use, but won't do much damage.

Hunter
Finally, an actual map. You grab one from the kiosk, but the moment you try to unfold it, something falls out from between the folds. An...envelope? It's plain white, without any addresses or stamps.
Huh. Uh, anyway, map. Christ, Silent Hill's a big place. After scanning the map, you manage to find out that you're in the South Vale district. You try and find any type of information center, and the closest thing you can find is probably the Town Center in the Resort District. Sounds like one, at least. But that's quite a ways away...

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 6, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"Jesus Christ," I mutter to myself as my flashlight hits glinting metal, ones that the man beside me walks in and holds up. "Someone losing a pocket knife I can understand, maybe, but what's a gas station need with ammunition? Bullets and gas pumps don't mix." I step into the store area and give my flashlight another shake as I shrug at the other two men. "Some resort town, huh? Anyway, since we seem to be stuck in the same predica--

My train of thought is cut off by the flutter of paper. "What was that?" I stride over, reach down and pick up the envelope, holding it up in front of my flashlight before popping it open.

What's this here? Time for a bit of police Investigation!
[17:53:24] <DVAway> !r fudge+3
[17:53:25] <Krysmbot> DVAway, +/--+3 = 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

A smirk crossed my face as I picked up the ammo and the knife. "Well, well, well. Look what we have here. Better take them so n one can misuse them." Slipping both into my coat pockets, I walked over to the woman, looking over her shoulder at the envelope.

"Did somebody leave their paycheck here? I'll take it."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Leila
When you hold the envelope up to your light, you immediately see the sihoullette of a house key. Not much else is apparent-you're not even sure that there's a letter in here.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hunter Parker

Focused on the map, I look over at the dropped envelope as Leila picks it up. "Huh, what's in there? Weird place to hide something, but guess it was safe enough in here... good news, I know where we are. Bad news, we're across the lake from the resort district and city center. It's a long walk, unless we want to find a boat rental..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

I find myself cocking my head in confusion as I examine the envelope. "House key?" I say, half in surprise and half in answer to the man reading the map. "It's somebody's key. Maybe it's for something in the gas station. I dunno, why would you keep a key out here...not a paycheck, I'm afraid!" That was to the other man, the one oddly interested in the pocket knife. I sigh a bit as the other man explains just how far away we are from civilization. That drat bus driver. "Well, ain't this a peach...good thing I'm wearing running shoes. Well, since we're stuck in this together, might as well get the introductions out of the way while our legs aren't screaming at us. I'm Leila. Who are you gents?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I took the spent cigarette out of my mouth and stomped it out on the floor. It's not as if anyone was around to care.

"Name's Alan Cross."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hunter Parker

"My name's Hunter. Hunter Parker. Think we should try to find what that key fits to? Not sure it'll help us any, but I'm curious, and maybe we'll get lucky and find some car keys, right?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"Well, it's good to meet you two, Alan, Hunter. As for the key..." I flip the envelope and catch the key in my hand. "If I had to guess, I'd say it'd be for a lockbox or something around here. But that's just a guess, mind."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Leila
When you turn over the envelope, something else falls out. Along with the key, a folded piece of paper lands in your hand. Well, it was an envelope, so that makes sense, you guess. As for the key, it's made out of brass, with some wear around the edges. It's pretty much perfectly ordinary.
Obtained House Key.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

...well. That's what I get for making theories before having all the facts. I bite my lip a bit in embarrassment. "Huh. This looks more like a house key, not a lockbox key. What's this paper here?" I flip the paper open. Maybe it's a label for the key? "Uh, right. Anything in the back room, or should we start hiking?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"Nothing stood out to me. We can't really stay here the entire trip. It's not like Shore's gonna solve a murder in a gas station. We should get going."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Leila
The letter's pretty well worn. You're not sure how old it is, but whoever wrote it wasn't a fan of making things easy for you.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"What the hell?" I say out loud as I read the letter. "The place between rest and greed, what? Ugh...this thing's a dead drop from the world's most oblique dead dropper. Hey, uh, Hunter, was it? Any place on the map that could be 'between rest and greed'? Least it's something to think about on the walk..." I shrug and stretch my legs a bit. "We ready to go, then? I've got the light, you've got the map, you've got the...knife..." I point at Hunter and Alan, my voice dropping off in confusion at the latter. "Seriously, why'd you pick up the knife?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I pulled out the knife and looked at it. "Well, it was kinda spur of the moment. I don't really like the looks of this place, you know? Who knows when some crazed junkie is gonna come out and attack us or something? Figured I could defend myself with it." I guess I've been letting my books get the better of me.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

That...makes more sense than I was expecting. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense still, but it does make some sense. "So you're a knife-fighter then?" I ask. "I don't think there's a lot of junkies around here...and I'm not sure how much good a survival knife is going to do you...but I guess if it makes you feel better about walking, so much the better."

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Leila
After your conversation with Alan, you notice something...off. You flash your light over in that Hunter kid's direction, only to find that he's...gone. There's really no other way to put it; he just vanished. Where the kid was supposed to be standing lies the map that was in his hands moments earlier.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"We ready to go, Hunter?" I ask absentmindedly as I look over the note again. "...Hunter?" I turn my flashlight over to where he should be standing. "Hunter?!" Okay, what gives?! "This isn't funny!"

I reach down and pick up the map on the floor, cursing under my breath. "Rotten spoiled bastard...uh, hey, Alan, was it? Did you see that guy walk off somewhere?" For some reason, I turn the papers over in my hands, as if I somehow need to confirm they're real. "Okay...here's the gas station...we need to go to the info center and maybe catch a taxi...this Baldwin Mansion place is between an inn and a bank...maybe that's what the paper meant by 'rest and greed'?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I looked over to where Hunter was, my brow raising at his disappearance. "No, I didn't see him go anywhere. Maybe he went to find a bathroom?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"Would you use the bathrooms in a place like this?" I respond, wrinkling my nose.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

"That's, uh....a pretty good point. poo poo, where could he have gone then?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"I have no idea...did he leave without us?" I look out the front windows as if expecting to see him waving outside. He's not there...with a shrug, I walk over to the dusty counter, blow off some of the dust, set the map and the note down, and invite Alan over to look. "Maybe, I dunno, he set off for this place." I point to Baldwin Mansion on the South Vale map. "It's between an inn and a savings bank. 'Between rest and greed'. Maybe he thinks he'll find someone there. And it's closer than the information center, so...maybe...ugh, I'm a goddamn cop, people aren't supposed to disappear when I'm five feet away!"

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Sorry for the lack of updates. A myriad of problems from that drat 'real life' thing have been keeping me busy.

Leila

After studying the map for a few seconds, you decide on two possible routes. The shorter one goes up by Rosewater Park using Nathan Avenue, but it seems pretty deserted. The longer route goes by more businesses (and hopefully, people), but it's, well, longer. Of course, there's also the matter of the space between you and Jack's Inn, but you don't know if it's blocked off or not.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"So...there's our options." I finish tracing the paths on the map. "We can get our bearings more after we check in at the inn here. Anyway, the path doesn't change much until we pass the bowling alley, so, let's get going, then?" The last word lilts up questioningly. Why is it questioning? I'm a cop! I should be firm on this!

"Let's get going." Better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I gave a wry smile and a sarcastic salute. "Right away, Ma'am." I had dealt with people like her before. Hell, I had written people like her before. That firmness was the telltale sign of a cop. If this Leila kept going like this, she'd probably end up finding herself in the pages of the next Jake Shore mystery.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Streets of Silent Hill

The fog hasn't lifted, sadly. It's hard to see anything more than a couple of feet in front of you, and your flashlight doesn't help much. The only sign of life in the dead town is the distant sound of footsteps that quickly dissipate into silence. They sounded like they came from your left...maybe it was that Hunter kid getting a head start on you?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alan Cross

I squinted and looked around the area. poo poo, I couldn't see anything in this fog. Then the footsteps. That drat kid's gonna get himself killed. I turned my head to the sound and called out.

"Hey! Hunter! Is that you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leila Shigane
FP 2/3

"Jesus, shouldn't the fog have burnt off by now?" This flashlight seemed okay in the gas station, but out here I can't even see the beam on the ground...maybe I should have bought the police spec. "Hunter? Hey! I know you're probably anxious to get going, but you shouldn't run off like that! You might get hurt in this drat fog!" I cup my free hand to my mouth. "Hello?"

• Locked thread