Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Yes, but they are chosen in turns. We have the first selection. I also have the ability to decide if we will be using standard plurality, lights out, or double plurality (highest 2 with votes on them are lynched). I am a man of the people, and so I am willing to hear my soldiers' thoughts on this matter.

Double plurality is pretty much always a bad choice. The strength of the town is that we have more votes than the scum, however if a large portion of our votes is on one guy, then the scum will have a higher vote ratio. So never pick that.

Lights out is incredibly powerful, it gives more power at the cost of less certainty. This is always worth using when available, save for day 1.

The best strategy is to start with normal, and then alternate between normal and lights out. If we have a situation where 2 lynch targets are obvious choices, replace a normal day with a double. Other than that, double is too risky to be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Burgundy has declared himself my rival. I am seeking permission to kill him on the field of battle.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

JakeP posted:

I took a quick intermission from work to record this for you then
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0MFlyqgnknT Lord GaGa- Dope

Oh my god, my ears are bleeding, what have you done to me?!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Music and lyrics.

Now.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Should we talk at all about our strengths/weaknesses in combat?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

He basically suggested that ranged build for speed, and melee build for tankiness. He also asked that people build specifically for deep desert.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Capps is a gently caress.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Eugh, there isn't anyone in the other thread I can insult to a degree where it wouldn't even be funny.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Eww, this is an awful way to do day 1.

We have to come to an agreement of 2 people before deadline and the thread needs to split 50/50.

The big problem with this particular lynch style is that scum have more power. The secondary lynch will have a huge chunk less townies available as votes, so each scum vote will be more powerful.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

Why even ask this? drat. Hasn't 50 even played a soldiers game before?

I mean I only invented them.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

What the gently caress is a meinberg anyway?

##vote meinberg

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Heh, 2 boys on the easy train to me town.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Oh gently caress, it's on.

I propose we lynch someone who is awful at mafia, and someone we think is scum.

No new players though, I'm not into lynching new players yet.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Meinberg posted:

But what if you're actually scum skating by on your meta to avoid attention?

What if you're a 3m tall yeti from nicaragua?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Oh, a post about me. Fantastic!

Hi guy, I'm sure you are new to this thing, but I am a mafia oracle. I am not a fan of forcing myself into content, I instead commune with Vayu who points me in the direction of that which we can feel to be true.

I find that while these petty ill reasoned arguments that people generally make in games such as this are important, it would be a misuse of my gifts to participate in them aside from an occasional agreement or disagreement. I find that by allowing myself to read the thread unjaded and unopinionated, I am more likely to catch that single sign from Vayu which will lead me to victory.

After all, deceit is more often caught by moments, and these moments are impossible to force.

Strengths/weaknesses are not inherently disadvantageous to speak about, but I decided to leave the decision up to our confirmed leader rather than making a decisive suggestion so that it could be his discretion that we follow.

I still believe it would be good for me to mention something about my battle capabilities, but I am not doing so per our leaders request.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Puntification posted:

Having subsequently parsed this, I'm now less confused and more annoyed that his defence is haha it's dumb and lazy that someone who's barely contributed anything seems likely to be scum to people.

This is an interesting thing you said, but let me posit something. Your accusation was that my meinberg vote was easy. So the premise of the argument here is that easy votes are scummy. Yet you are making the suggestion that me making an easy vote is scummy, which in turn is an easy vote. Does that mean that your vote is scummy because it too was also easy?

You accuse me of trying to seem active, which I am not doing unless your definition of active is present. I am posting insight when I have it (how to deal with double plurality), asking questions of our leader when I want his input (sharing strengths questions), and voting on positions I feel to be agreeable enough to warrant further attention. My lack of personal content is not inherently scummy, nor is my using light-content posts to essentially signal that I am indeed here and paying attention.

If I were trying to avoid suspicion would it not be better for me to pretend to contribute? Or how about make myself scarce enough from the thread that I am an entire non-factor? Why would I make posts which seem controversial to some if I wish to avoid suspicion?

Your easy case has become more complicated, will you choose to press onward, or will you give up?

If you choose to give up, I would like to know exactly which points I made swayed you, and why.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Rarity posted:

Ok, those two posts are really bad. A whole lot of words with virtually zero content.

50, what do you think of chaoslord?

He's a player in this game that could, or could not be scum.

My posts are fantastic, they are logical reasonings about why someone elses vote is fallacious.

Additionally they explain why me not posting "content" isn't indicative of alignment.

What more could you want?!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Lumpen is clearly town, what are you doing?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

He made a lumpen list, and I am not on the townie side of it.

Scum lumpen doesn't make those.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

You clearly haven't played with lumpen very much.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

JakeP posted:

I have played with him as scum where he posted lists

Cite your sources.

Otherwise I don't believe you.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Who says my vote on meinberg is a joke?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Lumpen posted:

I have posted many, many Scumpen Lists in the past, and if I were Scum here, upon being asked by Diqnol, I would have produced a False List here as well.

50 your meta is wrong (or very very very old), although your read is right.
The "Lumpen does not post Lists as Scum" meta was famously broken forever in the World of Warcraft Mafia soldiers game run by Mordecius, years ago.

I missed the memo.

Were you in the other thread?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Lumpen posted:

I'm pretty sure you've seen me post Lists as Scum many times and also been present for several discussions specifically about that meta.

Nope, I have literally never seen a scum lumpen list.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

The way I read his post was such that he was saying that because you didn't list him as town that it meant you were town. His further posting disproved that reading.

That was an additional point to the lumpen list thing, which I felt was stronger evidence.

As scum, lumpen getting into tiffs with me has ended badly for him. As town he is more willing to visit that option.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Puntification posted:

I never said your vote was easy, I said it was lazy (you don't bother providing any reasoning so we can't judge the intent behind the vote and I don't like that) also opportunistic, a quasi-jokevote and bandwagonning. I have previously agreed with AFP's point when he said meinberg is someone easy to kill perhaps you confused the two points?
Is a bandwagon inherently scummy? Posting reasons for a vote is meant to attempt to convince others. Is it not possible that I meant to vote what I believed without feeling as though my opinion was more valuable than anyone elses? In what way is it opportunistic? Did he get lynched over it, did it put me in a strategically sound position?

quote:

I pointed out numerous things I didn't like about how you've been playing and what you've done so I am not simply voting you for a bad vote, I also provided my reasons and was maybe the second person to vote you so can't really be accused of bandwagonning you either so the votes are not really similar as far as I'm concerned, someone might argue it's an easy vote cos you seem really scummy I guess though!
You don't like how I play mafia in that you believe I should be over-analyzing everyones play to invent "content". I argue that this premise is false, as forced content is less useful than organic content, and I am not skilled at forcing content. I choose to wait for more organic content to reveal cases for me. Bandwagoning has nothing to do with your vote, your vote is bad because it has very little critical thought put into it, it relies entirely on surface logic which is entirely dependent on me acting as a "textbook" mafia player. I am not a "textbook" mafia player, so the premise of your argument falls short. I assume

quote:

I also didn't accuse you of trying to seem active, that was part of my explanation of why scum like set up speculation because it's a good way of doing stuff in the thread without contributing to scumhunting, I'm aware you're not trying to appear active but you are primarily posting about anything other than scum hunting or reads, which I find suspicious.
That's odd, I told you why it isn't scummy.

quote:

Lack of effort is not always a scumtell it's true but nothing you've said has been particularly convincing so I'm happy where my vote is.
Sure.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Punt, I am glad you are trying here, but you are missing the point.

You are assuming I play this game one way, and voting for me because I do not fit your apparent ideal.

You call my meinberg vote opportunistic, however it was not in a place of momentum, nor significance. Saying, yeah, what lumpen said, probably wouldn't have fulfilled your need for "content" either, but I had nothing to add. I simply agreed, and voted accordingly. The argument that it was opportunistic is incorrect, because there is no opportunity there that was taken advantage of. You are talking about a vote leader who had 1 or 2 votes on him at the time, should we call rarity opportunistic for voting me then? Her argument applies to much more than only me, yet I am the vote leader as we move increasingly towards deadline. Why is my vote opportunistic, yet hers is not?

I actually like your posts and analysis, and think this exchange has given me an opportunity to understand you a bit more. However, your analysis of me is very basic, and shows a lack of understanding of my style of play. I am generally much more cautious as scum, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if I were scum.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

It's actually a good post juanito, but it shows he is still thinking of this game on level 1.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I am thinking about voting for rarity right now, I think somberbrero has a good point, but not for the reason he thinks it's a good point.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Lumpen posted:

Well that invalidates my suspicion of Meinberg. Strongly exculpatory. Did someone explain this earlier and I missed it?
##unvote

This renders 50's me-too on Meinberg much more suspicious.
##vote 50

In what way? Doesn't it suggest I didn't have that information either?

In either case, you are right, it does suggest meinberg to be town. ##unvote

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I think that seems like a pretty decent point.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

In the interest of not letting scum last minute bandwagon diqnol, I think we should probably make headway on lynching someone.

##vote dorkanoid

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I really want to ask a clarifying question, but I'm not sure if it will reveal something you don't want to.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I'm not sure wether I should volunteer for this ranged spot or not. I can wait to be more specific though.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I'm around, and will be seeing if I need to take emergency action.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I emerged from the battle unscathed!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

CCKeane posted:

##vote Chaoslord

Oh keane.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

What the gently caress is that?!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

So let me ask: Does anybody have the ability to intercept Capps' communications to our scum? Please claim if so.

That seems super broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I'm a lumpen fan this game, and he wants me to ##vote pm so I am going to go ahead and do that.

• Locked thread