Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Lumpen posted:

Good news everybody. I'm Town. Also incredibly valuable and powerful and special.

##vote Lumpen

My nemesis is Lumpen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Sir, I would like to nominate myself as your Grand Vizier.

I will handle all of the plots and scheming so that you may focus on your glorious vision for Arrakis.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

If we had a vote down prior to the formation of Lumpen's "Guys, let's all pinky promise not to vote anyone" plan, does that count?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Scum reads: Juanito and Pinterest for scum.
Town reads: Fitty.

Was busy over the weekend buying a car and doing all sorts of not-Mafia things, give me a bit to catch back up.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Oh, and I figure I might as well flesh these out a little bit more.

For Pinterest, it's merely a case of being almost sort of the vote leader yesterday. The bandwagon switching off of him doesn't exonerate him of anything: If it had swapped to a townsperson, it might almost be damning. Since the bandwagon shifting nailed scum, I'm going to chalk it up to being a fluke. Not a heavy scum read, but one nevertheless.

I really don't like it when people go "Yay, we got scum". For one, it's useless. Number two, it's the sort of thing that someone could use to try and appear like they have the town's best interests in mind.

Secondly, while I have no idea what happened in the carnage of battle, Juanito going "Huh. Did they all hit the front row?" is the sort of harmless questioning that I'd offer up to nudge the town. I'm not yet ready to declare that we didn't have scum in the battle party simply because these results could be atypical or standard fare, but if I had to choose, I'd say it's Juanito.

I'm tentatively marking Fitty as town because he hasn't rubbed me the wrong way yet.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Hello, Betrayer.

Hi Keane.

I'm going out to IHOP, want anything?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Thank you for validating my previous notions.

On the other hand, I'm also pretty sure that you're declaring me scum because A: I wasn't around for most of yesterday, and B: I left my jokevote on you. Also, years of rivalry and bloodshed, which probably came to a head after I defected to our trivia rivals after you left. Alas, alas.

On the other other hand I grow for hypotheticals, if I've got you convinced that I'm scum, I must be doing something right.

CCKeane posted:

You owe me a boon, Betrayer. You know this.

Betrayer are you scum?

I HEREBY GRANT CCKEANE HIS BOON AND FREE MYSELF FROM THE BONDAGE OF BOONDOGGERY THIS EIGHTH OF SEPTEMBER IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD TWO THOUSAND AND FOURTEEN

No.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

...wow. Completely walked right past that one.

I'm still in awe of Keane deciding that now is the time to fulfill my boon to him, I guess.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Having taken an extended absence from Mafia a while back, I don't know anything about how PM plays or functions, so I'm going to assume he's somewhat new.

On one hand, I can see him as scum trying to steer people away from himself and who we now know to be his scum buddy.

On the other hand, people relatively new to Mafia tend to get burned on making hard reads and cases and shy away from them until they actually get comfortable with both the concept that dying to make a good point is sometimes worth it and that you don't need a damned investigative result to be able to make a firm principled stand.

If the Baron's against Juanito and I don't get confirmation or denial on PM's experience (or lack thereof), color me undecided for the time being. We have a bit of time to deliberate.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

JakeP posted:

PM has played mafia here for about a year, this is like his 12th game

Noted.

Also, Somber, if you forgot Juanito was playing, I'm sorry that you lack the situational awareness to play Mafia. Diqnol asked for three reads, I gave them. I'll gladly walk back a little bit on Juanito in light of both Diqnol's opinion and further examination of the battle results. Additionally, without further background on PM, I wasn't completely comfortable making the call that he was terrible scum as opposed to hesitant newbie.

So, yeah. I'm undecided right now until I dig into the thread a bit more, but right now, I'm on lunch and I have to get back to making my eyes bleed through data entry. If you have better reads, I'm more than willing to listen.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

I'm interested in seeing what content MEDS can produce but I'd vote him today for that uncharacteristically milquetoast toe-dip.

I don't have to be an antagonistic prick in every game: It's a conscious choice depending on how the game is flowing and my relative state of entertainment with it.

Anything else you want to address before I start writing this off as the usual "Betrayer's an easy lynch for being an rear end in a top hat/not being enough of an rear end in a top hat" schtick?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

That's a cute way to frame what I said but when you post something that looks like content but actually does not advance the discussion in any way or say a single meaningful thing, you are probably scum.

Fascinating. Do go on.

I mean, really, elaborate. You've done nothing but piggy back off of Lumpen's surprisingly decent case against Pinterest and look slantways at me for being "uncharacteristically milquetoast".

If you're going to accuse people of posting white noise, do try to make sure your activity for the day can't be summed up as "opportunistic".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

JakeP posted:

more like buttrayer

For the record, this is a better case against me than whatever nonsense Somberbrero is trying to spin up.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Meinberg posted:

You know who I still don't like? DGK. I know he says this is his shtick, but I don't really buy it. It seems like in this sort of game, scum has more to gain than normal by lying low and avoiding attention, in the hope that this might gain them access to the battlefield.

If the previous battle is anything to go by, being put into the front rank is potentially a death sentence. Being put into the rear rank might be advantageous for scum, depending on the battlefield.

The problem with going "Well, scum would like to..." is that it's a big bucket of WIFOM that's not worth going into. For every possible rationale of why scum would do something, there's an explanation of why they wouldn't, and vice versa.

Furthermore, we've only got one battle to go on: About the only judgment call we can make is that the Atreides thread got sandwormed which likely gave us the victory.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

These are the two bits of content you've posted today. Let me unpack what they say.

1. "Pinterest Mother seems new."

Never seen them before and waffling is one of my token signs that people are new.

quote:

2. "If Pinterest Mother were scum, attempting to move votes onto their scumbuddy would make sense."

Why yes, Pinterest did try to move votes onto his scum buddy.

Wait a second. chaoslord flipped town. This is either the most disingenuous mincing of words or you're an imbecile.

quote:

3. "Although Pinterest Mother's motivations make sense as scum, Pinterest Mother's motivations could also make sense as scared town, because sometimes scumhunting will get you lynched." That last bit is a real paraphrase, because I am unsure as to what you actually meant as it made no sense.

So you're defending the case Pinterest put up on chaoslord?

Here's the thing. For one, I had no idea Pinterest has actually played before. Let's take a look at it from the new person's perspective:

1. I make a case against someone I have a good feeling on. I turn out to be wrong, people pressure me for being lynched, I get lynched and I lose. I should be less aggressive in the future.

2. I make a case against someone, they wriggle out of it, they turned out to be scum and I lose. I need more concrete evidence next time, I'm only going to go full bore with an air-tight case.

These are common loving reactions. New players sometimes play somewhat timidly because A: being killed/lynched is tantamount to losing and B: being aggressive against people with more experience ends up with the new player losing unless they have solid evidence.

I give passes to new people because they're not working from the same playbook and they're never going to get a copy of it if they die before Day 3 every game. If he's not actually new, my bad. Doesn't change how I view new people and I'm not going to apologize for assuming someone I've never seen or heard of is new.

quote:

4. "If the King won't grant me a lurker lynch, then I might vote Pinterest Mother."

Yes, I definitely advocated a lurker lynch here. Save me the effort of typing the rest of this response and just change everything you quote to "My name is MEDS CURE SCHIZOS and I am scum".

quote:

You express no strong opinions in that post, despite its relative length. I would hesitate to say that you impart anything at all to the discussion other than a desire to lynch Juanito because(?).

My gut and experience tells me that people who comment with joy or surprise when fewer people than expected turn up dead are scum trying to look town.

quote:

5. A poorly worded misunderstanding events and logic that express faint, but noncommital suspicion towards Pinterest Mother again using weasel words.

Thank you for taking things out of chronological order, by the way. It's certainly not an attempt to disrupt the thought process and cherry pick things, no sir.

quote:

6. Indeed, oftentimes the mafia(colloquially known as 'scum') will attempt to mimic the thoughts and motivations of the townspeople, in an attempt to win the game for their team. Well noted, Something Awful Forums Mafia Veteran "The Betrayer."

So scum don't overcompensate reactions to things and we're just going to restate things with more words?

quote:

7. We finally cut to the juicy center of MEDS case on Juanito, which is that Juanito was perplexed as to the unusual nature of the Harkonen victory.

It's a good thing I called this a case and not a read. For someone who drops the phrase "weasel words" with a straight face, this is loving hilarious.

quote:

8. "A player is town because I like them."

Ooh, good catch on my town read. Are you familiar with the concept of 'read'? Hint: it's not a case, it doesn't require mountains of evidence, it's a pithy statement about feelings and perception as opposed to logic

quote:

MEDS' content is completely meaningless and obviously faked.

##vote MEDS CURE SCHIZOS

Somberbrero completely missed the point of "Give two scum and one town read". The fact that I'm pointing this out is probably also meaningless and faked to Somberbrero, who is against widespread literacy and the proper refrigeration of food.

If this drivel by Somberbrero isn't the definition of "opportunistic and brainless loving moron who refuses to properly read the thread", then I should probably just return to retirement because I'm clearly too old to play this poo poo any more.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

For what it's worth I would much rather vote you over MEDS now.

Are you currently suffering from an ulcer or gastric cancer or some other disorder that causes you to have an irrational hatred of gut calls?

People were asked for gut reads, people have provided gut reads, people can't necessarily defend gut reads because they're (surprise) gut reads.

Call off the loving Inquisition because A: you're terrible at it and B: you're not going to get much of anything beyond a slapfight by attacking pithy "<person> has/has not rubbed me the wrong/right way, I think they might be town/scum" statements.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Betrayer, I ask that you try to be a little understanding. Finding 2 scum among 11 people when half the thread is basically lurking isn't too easy.

Ten people, technically.

And yeah, half the thread's lurking. I'm cool with that. No, really, let people lurk.

Lynch the participating players who are scummy and throw a token lurker or two into the front of the battle to be slaughtered. The object of the game is to kill the other ruler, yes, but we can do that more effectively if their spies are dead and ours are still alive.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

50 pounds of bread posted:

I'm pretty sure I either won the battle for us, or did absolutely nothing. I'm not really sure if the ability I used was awesome, or terrible.

If you close your eyes and concentrate, you can hear the rest of the thread tapping their feet impatiently.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm really liking how "read" has magically become "case" in Mafia vernacular.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

"read" has magically become "opinion" actually, "case" is something else still.

The whole point is that a quick start-of-day read/opinion isn't necessarily supported by anything and is subject to change.

Yet there's a sizable population of the game treating the start-of-day opinions as actual legitimate cases.

Also, I am a rear echelon motherfucker. All ranged, all the time.

JakeP posted:

It sucks when players lurk through most of the game, and then only snipe in to criticize something stupid. (betrayer and 50)

Whoops. I have a job and a life.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I actually disagree with the assessment that scum couldn't do battle and perform the nightkill. Taking that route seems like it's a way to sneak under the radar while everyone focuses on the handful of people who haven't been in battle yet.

Consider the following scenario. It's horrible meta game speculation, but bear with me.

First day of battle, three of the four scum end up in the front line. As we saw in the first battle, the front line can be a meat grinder: All three scum die, maybe taking one or two of the other townspeople with them. The one remaining scum gets a single nightkill. Next day, the remaining scum is effectively neutered so long as he's in the battle party. If he's in the battle party and he doesn't get a kill, he's either going to die, maybe maybe take out one or two people, and it's going to become very suspicious very quickly when no deaths occur when <person> is in the party.

Essentially, not allowing scum to nightkill and participate in battle would be a massive benefit to the town that only gets stronger as the game progresses. The only way to balance it out is by giving scum the battle equivalent of superpowers and that's not going so hot if the other thread's death tolls is anything to consider.

If scum had the ability to choose whether to join the battle, I could see them having to choose between battle actions (which could swing the tide of the thread) or a nightkill. Since it's entirely up to Diqnol, forcing them to play completely within the confines of the game puts them at a severe disadvantage.

And since you asked, here are my scum picks for the day:

1. Meinburg: Very quick to buy into and push the "Scum can't kill and participate in battle" line, especially if it originally came from capps. I realize this is :ironicat: given that capps said that Meinburg is the last scum but I could see that angle being pushed to exonerate someone.

2. Fiddy: Reasons stated before, massive lurking (more so than me, really), and general shyness about going into battle.

3. DGK2000: Gut.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Also, I put you in the front despite your range because I figured you would gently caress up their favorite ranged person. I don't know why you didn't.

I'm unhurt.

As far as "not loving up their favorite ranged person" goes, I won't go into specifics unless you really want me to.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Juanito posted:

That post that you're quoting is dumb, and simply me not having counted things correctly. And it's far from a standalone post too.

That and I really don't see the value in taking anything from their thread besides moderator posts of who died.

I'm actually leaning towards a no-lynch at this point.

A: We have the advantage in numbers and, if posted battle results are any indication, healthy people.
B: We can test the whole "Scum can't nightkill and have a battle action" thing by putting the people who missed the last battle into battle.
C: If scum really can't act in battle and nightkill, we've got the two suspects and can put them into the meat grinder that is the fortified Atreides base.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Meinberg posted:

Some ~setup speculation~: it's possible that the last surviving member of the scum team gains access to a dayvig, as a semi-balance to their relative lack of numbers.

This is a hell of a reach.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I mean, really. If you find Keane scummy, vote for him. He's done enough by other peoples' metrics to warrant it.

Don't start making up improbable things and then give them a sugarcoating of ~setup speculation~.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Please don't feel pressured to explain how "Scum get a nightkill in addition to anything else they can do" and "Scum get a daykill in addition to anything else they can do" are equivalent in terms of logic and sense.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Baseless speculation is baseless speculation.

I hardly see how "assuming scum have the usual defining role" is "baseless speculation".

But you've been pushing for me this entire game, yet you haven't had the loving balls to actually vote me.

##vote Somberbrero

Stop pussyfooting around and waiting for the rest of the thread to back you up, you opportunistic gutless coward.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Were you ever actually a good poster or was I just impressionable when I started playing mafia?

Good is subjective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Y7brwz6fA

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Why would you volunteer that information?

If Diqnol got it, presumably Capps got it as well. If our spies over in the other thread are already dead, there's no need for operational security at this point.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

From a scum perspective, a few things:

A: Allowing double lynches pretty much screwed us from the getgo. At that point, it became survival and I couldn't do much to actually guide anything.

B: The range restriction should have been lifted for internal battle actions. Wouldn't have helped much but eh.

C: The shield mechanic was silly and pretty much wasted a power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Blargh, I assumed a shield would have been in play, hence my aiming at apostate. :(

I had hoped one of our guys had a shield, ergo, hopefully a nuclear explosion wiping out that row and putting the other side back in the game.

No such luck, unfortunately.

• Locked thread