Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I wanted to play as Ordos :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I chose some stats, they're probably ok!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

aw man I missed joke phase and insult phase

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

JakeP posted:

No you didnt

it seems to be an attempt to mock cc keane by using his casebuilding lesson against him

apparently I didn't

and that's probably the best day 1 case I've ever seen

##vote cpig

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

oh, I'm an idiot, hm?

would an idiot ##unvote at this point?! I think so!

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Meinberg posted:

Good morning everyone.

Looking back over things with a clearer head, I don't much care for Chaoslord's case on me. I agree with Somb that he's willfully misinterpreting things in order to present a narrative wherein I'm scum.

Also, Dorkanoid feels off to me. Something about these three posts feels exceedingly forced:

Good evening!

Yeah, this has been a poo poo week, so I was genuinely sorry to miss joke phase. Due to my timezone + general inability to post from work, I've still not got the hang of "getting back to the thread" - so I had fun for a few posts.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

50 pounds of bread posted:

What the gently caress is a meinberg anyway?

##vote meinberg

This is a bad vote

##vote 50

This is a slightly better vote

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Please explain, and then give me another person you'd consider voting and why!

It's a lazy "me too!"-vote on Meinberg.

An anti-case I made basically while reading the case/checking the background:

Meinberg posted:

I feel really dumb for being so certain about the lynchproof nature of the team leads. I could have sworn that this was mentioned somewhere, but upon looking back, I can see that this information is nowhere to be found.

I have not comported myself well, and despite my towniness, I accept that I might be executed today.

While it says nowhere that the ruler is lynchproof, the rules thread says

quote:

You win the game when the rival thread's Ruler is eliminated. The best way to kill the enemy ruler is to reduce the population of the enemy thread in battle (and through other means, if available) as fast as possible. Rulers may not take the field themselves until they cannot assign 5 other players to battle, at which point they MUST assign themselves to battle and MUST be in the front rank.
which I take to mean there are at least one other way to kill a ruler.

However, given that

mr.capps posted:

Thread leaders are told who the other thread's scum team are. and we can even send them messages at night.

They have 4, I assume this is symmetrical and we have 4 also.
and the double plurality possibility I too assumed automatically that the ruler is lynchproof - since an apathetic main lynch could leave 4 votes more than enough to put the ruler at #2.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

MAFIA EDIT: ...and that would be a strange way to potentially end the game on day 1.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Yeah I agree with AFP on Somber, I've gotten THE WEIRD VIBES there as well.

I'd ALSO say the same thing about Meinberg as I do about lumpen: I continuously think he is scum regardless of alignment, so I get a bad read there.

I've not played with them enough to really have a feeling, and every time (since I got back) where I accuse someone of being scummy I get "no no that's just how they play" back :(

That being said, I'm leaning town on Lumpen for now - trying to break the voting system like that doesn't really seem like a scum play.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

I disagree with that last part. Mechanics discussion is one of the easiest part of scum play generally, especially when there are multiple systems in a game. It's objective, it's real content, it's not generally focused on scum hunting, and it usually makes you look good.

Even such "controversial" mechanics discussion?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

In that case I retract my defense of Lumpen

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

OK, it wasn't much of a defense, more like a "meh, prob town I guess?"

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Between the post I quoted a second ago and this one, I see two thoughts I can't see someone having.

His logic in the first post is that Lumpen is townie for trying to break the voting system. If anything, that would make Lumpen seem scummy to an outsider since it's a dangerous move for the thread ruler and is a lot of fluff that makes it seem like he's contributing. If he had said "the thoughtlessness of it makes him town" I'd get it, but he went a route that doesn't make sense.

In the post above, he claims he understands that it says nowhere that I cannot be lynched and that there are probably multiple ways to kill me, yet still he assumes I'm lynchproof simply because of the number of scum? Further, he uses it to defend Meinberg weakly. It's almost like he sees the Meinberg situation resolving itself and wants to have a stake in being right on both ends. It's non-content, and it's effectively all he has aside from the "lol whoops" when confronted on his defense of Lumpen.

Am I wrong here?

I condensed a lot of thinking into those few lines. Generally I try to explain my thought process leading up to the (if a bit tentative) conclusion.

To me, it seemed (at the time) weird that you'd not be lynchproof (though I based some of that on unreliable information from capps). I started out looking for a simple case on Meinberg, but convinced myself otherwise rather quickly. As an extension of that, I found 50s vote a bit too easy...

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Meinberg posted:

I think dorkanoid is more likely to be scum. His "joke phase" vote and unvote feel very sketchy to me, like he put a vote on a target he thought was an easy target, but then unvoted once he realized there really wasn't any momentum behind it.

I unvoted 2 minutes later. Hardly any time for any momentum to build. How fast should I unvote to make it a clear joke vote?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Puntification posted:

Since you are here, please post some reads and/or cases.

Meinberg posted:

Reading PM, she seems very genuine to me.

Last I read the thread I think PM had 4-5 posts, mostly joke phase.

I don't see how the posts since then are "genuine"; while I agree with

Pinterest Mom posted:

but yeah i agree re: fiddy's vote on meinberg, that looks precision-engineered to be a vote that sticks around unnoticed, only to be defended as "oh it was a joke vote i forgot to take off" after/if meinberg flips town.

there are just a few loose opinions, and an Ix vote based on the prompting by AFP, I have no problem with ##vote PM.

I note that the post quoted above had no vote attached, so I don't mind switching back to 22.7kg

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

General warning (though I doubt it matters): Deadline is something like 3 AM here, so I have to lock in my vote for the night in a few hours.

I'm very ranged, but I doubt that matters, too.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Rarity posted:

I really don't like how when asked to case someone you immediately target the person diqnol's Thunderdomed you with. It reeks of self-preservation.

Well, a little bit, I must admit - but it was the quoted part of Meinberg's post that triggered me to read PM.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I also think Juanito is seeming to try to stay below the radar;

some soft town reads

Juanito posted:

I think Lumpen is town. And I've defended chaoslord in multiple games because his posts seem noob scummy (even though he's been town), but this time I really don't think he's town.

Also Meinberg seems like he's putting in more effort than usual on D1? Makes me think he could be scum.

Juanito posted:

I really don't know. His av looks evil, so there's that. One of his posts makes me think we should leave him alive? But I don't want to point it out..

no scum picks, no suspicion, just a weird vote sequence on Ixt:

Juanito posted:

##vote Ixt

he's at -1 now

Juanito posted:

Oh right

##unvote

Juanito posted:

##vote Ixt

sorry don't mind me, it's saturday and I'm tired

Juanito posted:

So am I supposed to unvote Ixt?
It seems a bit scummy to be so hesitant; there should be no culpability if Ixt is town since it was AFP who initiated it, so the only other thing I can think of is not wanting to overtly vote off a scumbuddy?

Would vote Juanito.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I try, since I haven't been around long enough to have "can skip day 1" as my meta. :sigh:

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

dorkanoid posted:

I try, since I haven't been around long enough to have "can skip day 1" as my meta. :sigh:

Not that I want to; this was a not-so-subtle lurker callout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

it's late; I'm leaving my vote where it is, as anything else seems to be a dead vote at the moment.

• Locked thread