Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Weird, I don't remember the no pins/submissions thing at all. I specifically remember being pissed off at the ending for being a copout to the stipulation.

I just pulled it up, and Chimel states that the only way it can end would be "In the ring by pinfall or submission, or escaping the cage with both feet touching the floor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

I just pulled it up, and Chimel states that the only way it can end would be "In the ring by pinfall or submission, or escaping the cage with both feet touching the floor".

I looked back at the build a little bit too, and apparently the escape stip was added VERY late into the build. Like, they casually mentioned it on the go-home Smackdown. :lol:

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

poo poo guess I was wrong. Only thing I remember was the barbed wire not being used much due to it being banned from use in wrestling in Pennsylvania thanks to CZW.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What would be considered the worst Wrestlemania? 9 seems to be a common choice if only because of the horrendous ending with Hogan crushing Yokozuna in 22 seconds to essentially make the entire preceding match a waste of everyone's time.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

OldTennisCourt posted:

What would be considered the worst Wrestlemania? 9 seems to be a common choice if only because of the horrendous ending with Hogan crushing Yokozuna in 22 seconds to essentially make the entire preceding match a waste of everyone's time.

Yeah, it was also a pretty good microcosm of mid-90s WWF (a very bad period, perhaps the worst in the PPV era for WWF?). lovely wrestlers with dumbass gimmicks (and a budding HBK) filling out the lower/midcard, and an oftentimes misused Bret Hart.

As far as other really bad Manias go if you're looking at it from a pure wrestling standpoint pretty much all of the early ones are bad but there are at least really memorable/entertaining people performing on them.

e: The above comment does not apply to Wrestlemania IV.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 7, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OldTennisCourt posted:

What would be considered the worst Wrestlemania?

Karmine posted:

Wrestlemania IV.

See, he agrees with me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bellator 106: The Pay Per View That Wasn't

This is going to be very derisive and first of all this event happened and honestly it wasn't a terrible event overall - good fights and lovely fights. But the background to the event qualifies the most for a "waste of time and money" descriptor. See this event never made it to PPV and was aired for free instead, and there is a lot of back story to go with it.

See Bellator is MMA's TNA, it is desperately trying to beat the monopoly but only signs over the hill cast offs from the big show and then pushes them to the moon in spite of attempting to build their own talent, when they do get their own talent they will somehow hilariously gently caress it up, it airs on Spike at a loss, ardent defenders of it will continue to claim it is just one thing away from beating UFC to at least even to build a competitive MMA scene not really in existence since Pride (though some will argue Strikeforce).

The real story of this PPV was not the main event but a fighter named Eddie Alvarez. Eddie is consistently ranked in the top five lightweights in the world and was widely considered for a long time the best lightweight not in the UFC, which is high acclaim as lightweight is widely considered the single deepest division in UFC, and he was the former lightweight champion of Bellator. A while before this event Eddie Alvarez lost the title in an amazing fight to Michael Chandler, an up and comer Bellator born and bred fighter. Now champions in Bellator had very draconian contracts, though honestly all Bellator contracts are ridiculously exclusionary, and Alvarez wanted out. After fighting two more times for Bellator he had an agreement in principle to move to UFC, as those were the last two required of him.

Instead Bellator went and chucked a fit.

See part of the original contract was a clause that Bellator could match any offer made by the UFC, and that it would override the UFC's offer. This got to the courts because Alvarez, being a major signing, was as part of his UFC contract, would be guaranteed pay per view points. PPV points are essentially what MMA fighters ACTUALLY want as opposed to their payment for the individual fights, in essence they not only get the fight pay but a percentage of the net income from the PPV itself which is millions more than any guaranteed fight contract would be worth (unless you are bankrolled like Affliction MMA, which I don't know anything about which is frustrating as those were PPV events and deserve their own Hall of Fame in here).

Alvarez in court argued Bellator couldn't hope to match the UFC's offer as Bellator never ran pay per views in the first place therefore the contractual clause was flawed. Viacom counter argued that they may in the future run PPVs and therefore maybe if they run a PPV the offer still stands. The argument was bullshit and correctly Alvarez argued it was a hypothetical argument, not a realistic one.

With all that said eventually they came to an agreement and Eddie Alvarez did in fact re-sign with Bellator where he would then fight Michael Chandler at Bellator 106 the first ever Bellator PPV! Just like Viacom said they could do!

But that's not all!

See there was also another fighter named King Mo. TNA fans will know King Mo. Strikeforce before they died put a lot of time into King Mo as he had charisma and was seen as someone who could make them money. Then he lost to Feijao, got busted for roids, and it all faded. Feijao himself got busted for roids in the UFC later but whatever. Anyway Bellator signed Mo and had him put in the light heavyweight tournament expecting to run through them and face Attila Veigh in a money fight for the pay per view.

Then this happened.

That man throwing the backfist is Emanuel Newton, the man doing the replica of a millenia year old felled oak is Mo, and Newton went on to win the whole thing.

Now Bellator had a problem - see they had only hyped King Mo and it was even to the detriment of Attila Veigh the actual champion so, and some of this is conjecture but very well supported, Bellator bribed Attila to feign an injury so instead they could book the rematch between Newton and King Mo and make it a title fight via the INTERIM light heavyweight title. So Attila took the money, and then rather confusingly kept appearing in the media loudly proclaiming that he was fine and that Bellator are being loving dickheads, and Newton/Mo 2 was set for the FIRST EVER BELLATOR PPV!

And then the PPV got cancelled and it was aired for free on spike anyway as a normal card.

The gently caress just happened...?

This:

See this was the real main event, this was the headliner that Bellator had organised for their first ever pay per view. This was the masterpiece. Tito Ortiz (who in his last UFC run had won 1 of his last 9 fights) and Rampage Jackson (who had lost his last three UFC fights, including missing weight in his second last fight by SIX POUNDS). Bellator, in attempt to differentiate themself as the true future of MMA decided to make the main event of their first pay per view two former UFC LHW champions on losing streaks. Of course between the two one of them had defeated Ryan Bader so maybe it was great booking.

But this is, of course, Tito Ortiz.

Literally one week before the event Tito Ortiz pulled out of the fight with a neck injury and all hell broke loose. Despite the co-main being the rematch of Bellator's match of the year 2011 they had in no real way promoted it. They had absolutely no time to back track and build up just how big Chandler/Alvarez 2 was going to be so instead the PPV was cancelled and it aired for free on spike.

Just like every other Bellator event. Took a while to get here didn't it?

Side notes: The event itself proceeded to gently caress over Bellator EVEN MORE - Bjorn Ribney, the man who owns Bellator and a diagnosable psychopath and rear end in a top hat (HE SHOT A PUPPY. I REPEAT. HE SHOT A PUPPY.) desperately wanted Alvarez to lose to Chandler, he had been a thorn in his side for so long and wanted Chandler to be the golden boy. And then Michael Chandler did beat Eddie Alvarez and all was well.

Except this is MMA. And with MMA comes MMA judges.

See most people in PSP, including me saw this as a Chandler win but the judges, God bless em, scored a split decision for EDDIE ALVAREZ. You could see in the footage Bjorn's look of disgust as he had to give the belt back to a man he despised and the only reason this fight never comes up in worst MMA robberies is the amount of schadenfreude this result caused offset displeasure at Chandler being robbed. It was the most hilarious outcome.

Then a few fights later, while still champion, Alvarez got his release from Bellator and was signed to UFC. He's fighting Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone soon and if he wins he's essentially assured a titleshot at the winner of Anthony Pettis v Gilbert Melendez.

Oh and Emanuel Newton dominated King Mo to a decision, so King Mo was dead in the water. Newton went on to defeat Attila Veigh too and is now champion.

And what of Tito Ortiz and Rampage?

Well Rampage fought King Mo at Bellator's first ever pay per view, Bellator 120 in the main event, and lost... nah it was an MMA loss so he got a gift decision where, and this is also widely believed, the judges this time must've been bribed as opposed to dumb because that was a clear win for Mo. Tito Ortiz also fought at the event and defeated the much heralded Alexander Schlemenko... when he's fighting in his own weight class as Alexander is a middleweight and Tito fought him at LHW so he had several dozen pound weight advantage.

Oh and the original headliner of this PPV? Eddie Alvarez v Michael Chandler 3. Alvarez pulled out injured a week before the event. Serendipity.

Bellator 120's buyrate, depending on where you check, was either 65000 total or 100000 total. Both suck but given who is spruiking the 100k number I'd guess 65k is more likely.

Oh and this is Bellator this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIrhndo1gc

Goodnight folks.

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 7, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OldTennisCourt posted:

At least 9 had a pretty good Steiners match.

11 on the other hand had 0 redeeming features.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I might be the only one, but I found 12 incredibly plodding - mainly the 1 hour iron man match with no falls until it goes into overtime and Bret gets mad about the overtime, so he gets his one fall - to a surprise superkick and Shawn wins. It was incredibly boring, and the rest of the card wasn't any better:

The Bodydonnas vs. The Godwinns for the vacant tag championship
Vader, Owen, and DBS vs Yokozuna, Jake the Snake, and Ahmed Johnson
Austin vs Savio Vega
The infamous Warrior vs Trips match
Taker vs Diesel
... the highlight of the show was probably Roddy vs Goldust, which was kinda fun but really really really homophobic. It's the match that starts in a Hollywood backlot, Goldust steals a car, and then they cut in shots of the OJ Simpson chase. The build to it though involved Roddy telling Goldust he was "going to make a man out of Goldust", among other things. This was during the "Goldust is a heel because he's gay" period.

E: Oh I forgot, the payoff was that Roddy pulled the suit off him, revealing Goldust was in lingerie. Goldust runs off crying.

maxallen fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 7, 2014

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Not contributing too much to the discussion here, but I generally feel the main event of 12 is horrendously overrated. Who the gently caress wants to sit through an hour long technical wrestling match where the only interesting thing that happens is the ring announcer getting superkicked and a sharpshooter with thirty seconds left?

I'm the biggest Bret mark in the world, and have come to really appreciate Shawn, but the way these two and the WWE diefy that match really annoys me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

britishbornandbread posted:

Not contributing too much to the discussion here, but I generally feel the main event of 12 is horrendously overrated. Who the gently caress wants to sit through an hour long technical wrestling match where the only interesting thing that happens is the ring announcer getting superkicked and a sharpshooter with thirty seconds left?

I'm the biggest Bret mark in the world, and have come to really appreciate Shawn, but the way these two and the WWE diefy that match really annoys me.

The main event of WM12 is one of the biggest examples of WWE's revisionism. They herald it as this incredible match that enthralled the entire crowd for a full hour, but it's 55 minutes of loving rest holds, then 5 minutes of above-average technical wrestling.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Great American Bash 2004 also had Eddie dropping the belt to JBL who was getting a mega-stupid heel push because it was one of those Creative deals where Vince loved the idea. This was back when JBL was a midcarder and got this Lesnar or Hogan-style mega-push out of nowhere at Eddie's expense.

I stopped watching wrestling in about 2001 and only started taking an interest again recently, so it blew my mind when I found out loving Bradshaw was the top guy for a while :psyduck:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

sticklefifer posted:

-Muhammad Hassan vs Jerry Lawler, without commentary because JR was in Lawler's corner. As bad as you think.

Is this the match where Jerry Lawler would bodyslam Muhammad Hassam, Hassan would get back up and run at him, Jerry would bodyslam him again x10?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Answers Me posted:

I stopped watching wrestling in about 2001 and only started taking an interest again recently, so it blew my mind when I found out loving Bradshaw was the top guy for a while :psyduck:

WWE stopped being on German television ca. 2000 and came back during JBL's reign. It was very, um, interesting to find out how all that came to be.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The main event of WM12 is one of the biggest examples of WWE's revisionism. They herald it as this incredible match that enthralled the entire crowd for a full hour, but it's 55 minutes of loving rest holds, then 5 minutes of above-average technical wrestling.

Pretty much spot on and exactly how I feel about it. It's definitely a feat of athleticism by both wrestlers but I'd rather die than have to watch it again. There's literally two highlights in the entire match.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I agree that Wrestlemania 12 is probably the worst, mainly because it's so dedicated to the Iron Man Match. Literally half the PPV is about that match. It's over an hour in itself, you have lengthy entrances, Michaels' celebration, multiple promos and even a segment where the ref goes over the rules far longer than normal in an attempt to give it a bigger feel. If you don't like the match, which I don't, that kills the show.

The rest of the show doesn't make up for it. Undertaker/Diesel is miraculously one of the best Undertaker matches in his early days in the company, Austin/Savio isn't bad, and the six-man at least has an interesting dynamic where each face is shown to be completely out of their league to the point that hot-tagging is worthless. Other than that, it's a lovely show leading up to a match where nothing happens.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

As far as recent 'Manias go, I watched WM27 on the Network recently and thought it pretty much sucked. Taker/HHH wasn't my cup of tea, the main event is atrocious, and the entire show in general felt like a glorified episode of RAW hyping the next year's WM.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Diesel vs Shawn was good as was Jonathan Taylor Thomas vs Bob Backlund in a chess match.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is stretching but the Wrestlemania 15 rage party is hilariously embarrassing. Includes Isaac Hayes performing Chocolate Salty Balls while having no loving idea what the hell is going on or why he's there, Shane McMahon being insane, and crowd shots of the most disinterested people ever. There's an amazing cut where you see Sable dancing in the most unsexy way ever and then a quick pan to a group of people who look like they'd rather be anywhere else. The whole thing is on youtube and it's loving horrendous.

Oh and tickets cost around $80.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

At least 9 had a pretty good Steiners match.

Shawn-Diesel was good

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Wrestlemania 11 is too bland to be considered the worst of all time. While there's nothing that redeems the ppv, there's nothing too terribly offensive either, and at least the booking of the matches made sense.

Wrestlemania 12 isn't too bad up until the iron man match. I'm in the camp that considers HBK/Bret to be boring, so I don't care much for the show overall. The Piper/Goldust "match" sucks but at least the rest of the undercard is decent.

One Wrestlemania we haven't discussed yet is Wrestlemania 15. This was the most Russo influenced Mania, and was a marquee show during the Attitude era boom. It's easy to watch because of it's rapid fire pace, but it's also crap wrestling and bizarre booking.

The pre-show match was a battle royal. The last 2 contestants got to team up and challenge Owen hart and Jeff Jarrett for the tag titles. The two winners were D-Lo Brown and Test. D-Lo made sense as he had previous beef with Owen and Jarrett, but Test was a bizarre choice, as he had no interactions with any of the other competitors. Of note - the commentary during the Battle Royal foreshadowed an Acolytes win, but their eliminations were anti-climactic.

The PPV opened with a triple threat hardcore title match with Al Snow, Bob Holly, and Billy Gunn. Snow and Holly were fixtures in the hardcore division, and they were building to a triple threat match with Road Dogg. A few weeks before Mania Billy Gunn won the hardcore title because Swerve! The match was crap.

Owen and Jarrett then defended the tag titles against Dlo and Test. The two battle royal winners lost in less than 5 minutes. Nothing came out of this.

Butterbean then killed Bart Gunn. Gunn was used sporadically after winning Brawl for All, and after this defeat I don't recall them using him again.

Mankind fought the Big Show for the prestigious honor of refereeing the main event. Mankind won a poo poo match by DQ. The Big Show, who had been in the company for a month, turned face after the match.

There was a fatal four way for the IC title with Ken Shamrock, Goldust, Val Venis and Road Dogg. Road Dogg won the IC title a few weeks before the event because Swerve! booking. Crap match, as was par for the course.

Kane and Triple H had a slow paced match, notable only for Chyna turning on Kane.

Sable and Tori had a forgettable match, notable only for the debut of Nicole Bass.

Shane McMahon beat X-Pac after Triple H and Chyna turned heel to help him. This was Chyna's second turn of the night. In all fairness this match wasn'r terrible, and the Triple H turn was significant.

We then had the Undertaker vs Big Bossman in a Hell in the Cell match. The build up for this was weird, as both were cleary heels. The crowd preferred Undertaker, but Bossman was more sympathetic. This is a strong consideration for worst Undertaker wrestlemania, match, and that's a competitive category. This was a really bad match and the Cell, which was previously associated with extreme spots, was a non-factor. The Brood hung the Big Bossman after the match.

The main event was Austin vs The Rock. Not terrible, but there was a ton of run ins, and both men are capable of better matches.

Overall, it was a crap show that was peak-Russo, with run ins, swerves, and short matches.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The best part of that show was the visual of the Brood swooping down on Bossman from above. That was neat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Supposedly there was a plan to make D' Lo and Test an odd couple team ( a Russo staple).

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Wrestlemania 11 is too bland to be considered the worst of all time. While there's nothing that redeems the ppv, there's nothing too terribly offensive either, and at least the booking of the matches made sense.

I'd argue 11 is worse than 9. At least 9 was memorable and kept you going "what the gently caress why did you book that" through the whole show. 11 made me wish I had not decided to watch old WWF stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Iron Man match is an example of how WWF in the mid 90s was weirdly fond of having a match go to an indecisive or otherwise unsatisfying finish, and then having Finkel declare that THIS MATCH MUST CONTINUE and then we get the real finish.

Also a version of 12 I watched a bit of on YouTube pre-Network had as a preshow a god drat Billionaire Ted sketch with a "match" between Huckster and Nacho Man, with Ted as a ref declaring "I don't know how to make stars so I just buy them" in a voice that makes you think he'll follow that with "and I like to smell my own farts".

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Iron Man match is an example of how WWF in the mid 90s was weirdly fond of having a match go to an indecisive or otherwise unsatisfying finish, and then having Finkel declare that THIS MATCH MUST CONTINUE and then we get the real finish.
I know this is before the real heat between Bret and Shawn really flared up, but I always figured that was because Bret refused to do a clean job to Shawn.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bret was actually more preferable to 2 or 3 falls occurring during the match if you believe him. But yeah, that match is not so great and the 60 minute draws that All Japan was doing around the same time blow it out of the water. The HHH/Rock ironman is way better, too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Let's not forget about Wrestlemania 2 with its three venue gimmick, which ripped off the people in attendance, especially the people who attended the first third.

The matches got somewhat better as the show continued, but the stuff in New York was a total mess.

- Started with Paul Orndorff vs. Don Muraco in what was a really enjoyable match until a nonsense double count-out four minutes in. Also has Orndorff, the face, stretching his eye lids to make fun of Mr. Fuji. Holy poo poo.

- Randy Savage vs. George "The Animal" Steele in one of the worst matches of Savage's career. Steele kicked out of the elbow drop just because.

- Jake Roberts vs. George Wells. Squash match. At least Wells sold Damien better than anyone in wrestling history by foaming at the mouth.

- Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper in a boxing match. Downright unwatchable and ended in a DQ.

Those fans got to see less than 26 minutes of in-ring action. Fans at home got to hear Susan St. James on commentary.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The HHH/Rock ironman is way better, too.

Thats cuz they're better workers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Bret was actually more preferable to 2 or 3 falls occurring during the match if you believe him. But yeah, that match is not so great and the 60 minute draws that All Japan was doing around the same time blow it out of the water. The HHH/Rock ironman is way better, too.

I've always assumed that they didn't trade any falls during the whole hour because neither wanted to give the other any edge, so we got what we got.

As a match, I liked watching it live, but 20 minutes of rest holds in an hourlong match you've seen before isn't conducive to enjoyment. Still, the buildup and promos for the match were effective, and I liked Hebner's extended rules explanation beforehand.

Now, at the end of the match, Bret just leaves, but they ended up showing an interview and tape on Raw months later, showing Bret doing an interview from home, debating if/when he'd return to the WWF, bookended by footage of him storming straight to his car after the match. That was a nice sell of the fallout from the match, and led to Austin's "Stop whining, and come back so I can kick your rear end" angle.

So if you take all that into account, and watch Wrestling With Shadows afterwards, it's pretty neat. But as a standalone match, it's interesting on the first viewing only.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

If you take Bret's autobiography as gospel, which is up to you, then Shawn was very stiff at points in the Iron Man match. The disintegration of their relationship really began when Bret returned later in '96. I seem to recall, though I haven't read Bret's book in a while, that he was happy to put Shawn over, but the unspoken plan at the time was a rematch at WM13 where Shawn would put Bret over. And then...yeah...

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

OldTennisCourt posted:

In all fairness, how could you explain to a live crowd something like that? It's why those "OH GOD, HE'S GOING OFF SCRIPT" things are so rarely done well. It's either clearly a work or you have no clue what the hell is happening or why.

No no, they didn't announce that Goldberg was in a motorcycle accident earlier in the day. They played showed the announcers explaining it on the screen but there was no audio. So when they just started the match without a mention of Goldberg or playing his music, no one had a clue what was going on.

Then he just randomly appeared with taped ribs and joined the match.

britishbornandbread posted:

If you take Bret's autobiography as gospel, which is up to you, then Shawn was very stiff at points in the Iron Man match. The disintegration of their relationship really began when Bret returned later in '96. I seem to recall, though I haven't read Bret's book in a while, that he was happy to put Shawn over, but the unspoken plan at the time was a rematch at WM13 where Shawn would put Bret over. And then...yeah...

I also recall something about Shawn working Bret's arm or leg the whole match and Bret not selling it at all. But yeah, Shawn was very stiff indeed.

sexy_trash fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 7, 2014

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wrestlemania 11 at least had some funny moments. Nash doing a promo with so little emotion it was like he was reading a card in front of him, with vince going "read this"! Then sid botching a promo so bad that he stops and asks '"can we do this again?" With j.r. Exclaiming "were live".

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sexy_trash posted:

I also recall something about Shawn working Bret's arm or leg the whole match and Bret not selling it at all.

Maffew comped all the Bret no-selling in that match.

Skip to 12:50 of this video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqehu3_wrestlemaniamania-part-3_sport

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Someone mentioned Jon Hess as one of the highlights of UFC's early ugliness, but it's important to note that he had a prefight interview where he hyped his VERY SCIENTIFIC combat system that was very technique based and expert mode and what not then came into the cage and threw the most amazing T-rex arm hammerfists and eye gouges to a man 90 pounds lighter than him.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

To flip the script a bit, what would you consider the first really great Wrestlemania? Because going through them with OSW Review, they all seem to have aged poorly except for a few great moments. Honestly the first Wrestlemania I really enjoyed top to bottom was 17.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I'd honestly consider 3 the first Wrestlemania that really feels like a Wrestlemania. Hogan vs Andre is not a particularly well wrestled match, but there's one of those on the card in Savage vs Steamboat, and it has decent production for its time (compare it to 1 or 2 and it's leagues ahead, unquestionably).

I'd agree with you, though, that 17 IS the best top-to-bottom, and I'd give some credit to 14 coming before it as well.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iskanderson posted:

I'd agree with you, though, that 17 IS the best top-to-bottom, and I'd give some credit to 14 coming before it as well.

3 was great because it was WWE's first stadium show ever. 17 was great because it was the first stadium show WWE had ran in almost a decade.

I think they just take for granted now that they get to do a show in a stadium every year.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

WWE ran quite a few stadium shows before WM3 (the Shea supercards, The Big Event at Exhibition Stadium)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
On the topic of bad shows, Wrestlemania 2000 has a nonsensical finish with Vince turning on Rock for....some reason, one of the worst botched finishes in WWE history and perhaps the worst in Wrestlemania history where the ref fucks up a 3 count and Hardcore win by accident (after the match Hardcore Holly calls Michael Cole a shithead for some reason), and one of the worst Wrestlemania matches ever with Terri and The Kat with special referee Val Venis.

Though the Dudleys, Edge and Christian and Hardy Boyz ladder match is outstanding and the Angle, Benoit and Jericho match is pretty awesome too

• Locked thread