Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wrestlemania IX is kinda legendary as bad events go. Of course there's the main event, where Bret Hart loses the title to Yokozuna who then turns around and loses it to Hulk motherfucking Hogan who ended up leaving in June anyway. But apart from the main event it's still a total mess. There are maybe one or two solid matches in there, the rest is all gently caress finishes and tedious post-match segments. The Undertaker fights a guy dressed as a hairy naked man who seems to wrestle in slow motion, for a DQ finish; Money, Inc. retains the tag team championships against Hogan and Brutus Beefcake in a dumb mask after a fight that is just interruption after interruption; Tatanka beats Shawn Michaels via countout so that he doesn't get the belt, because they wanted him to be undefeated but had absolutely no plans for him beyond that. The only interesting part of the whole thing is the gaudy Roman decor because they were at (or rather just outside) Caesar's Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I've only just recently become aware of the fact that UFC, now a prestigious and well-regulated mainstream sports promotion, basically started out a few steps above bum fights.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Iron Man match is an example of how WWF in the mid 90s was weirdly fond of having a match go to an indecisive or otherwise unsatisfying finish, and then having Finkel declare that THIS MATCH MUST CONTINUE and then we get the real finish.

Also a version of 12 I watched a bit of on YouTube pre-Network had as a preshow a god drat Billionaire Ted sketch with a "match" between Huckster and Nacho Man, with Ted as a ref declaring "I don't know how to make stars so I just buy them" in a voice that makes you think he'll follow that with "and I like to smell my own farts".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if it wouldn't have worked if the nWo lost just a little more- they go in expecting to dominate, the WCW guys manage more than just a handful of upsets, Hogan only holds on through some desperate chickenshit heeling, they end the PPV showing their rear end a little- and then regroup and kick rear end until STING.

Granted you would have had to have a non-nWo ref to make it vaguely plausible- and of course none of the above matters if everyone still thinks the nWo will win everything and so nobody buys the show. It's an interesting experiment and I like that it's a PPV that exists for a story reason instead of just "it's been four weeks", but then you have the reality.

As it is it should have been a sign that the nWo had an upper threshold, they were still a heel stable and you had to beat them eventually. They never had that big rout, they just got bogged down in inter factional stuff.

• Locked thread