Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Paul flipped out and quit or got fired after that event due to Vince's meddling if I remember.

Another thing is I'm pretty sure there was only 1 announced match on that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LvK posted:

He didn't even throw a punch, iirc. I remember reading a few years ago that the boxer was SO AFRAID that he'd lose his career via arm breakage that he decided "OH poo poo gently caress THIS" and tapped out with a fury

John McCarthy tells a story about being there with Art before the match and Art was like "Yeah, I got this, how's he going to get me off my feet? I'll punch him" and John goes something like "how often do you clinch in boxing, alot right?" and he's like "Yeah... and?" and John goes "well, what'd happen if the other guy wanted to do it and there was nothing stopping him" and then story goes he talked to him about how Gracie was going to break his arm and then the moment he got took down he tapped out.

edit: and the guy gettign to tooth knocked out was apparently a watershed moment backstage because all the guys were like "Yeah this is gonna be fun" and then he loses his front teeth and everyone was like "oh poo poo... this is actually real..."

Early MMA has got so many wacky stories, like when refs couldn't stop fights and John would go "Corner, check your fighter" as a hint to tell them to throw the towel in and some guy had told his corner that if they threw in the towel he'd kill them. :staredog:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 3, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What are the worst ECW ppvs (not counting WWECW)?

While not a PPV, House Party 1996 was one of the most dire wrestling events I have ever seen. Just so boring.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Death By Yogurt posted:

Over the Limit 2011 is probably the worst WWE PPV of the last few years.

Here was the undercard.

R-Truth vs. Rey Mysterio
Ezekial Jackson vs. Wade Barrett
Sin Cara vs. Chavo
Big Show and Kane vs. Mason Ryan and CM Punk
Brie Bella vs. Kelly Kelly
Randy Orton vs Christian (probably the only good match on the card)

Then you had Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole in a kiss my foot match. The image of Michael Cole, covered in BBQ sauce, sucking on Jerry lawler's crusty old foot will forever haunt me.

And then the main event: Cena vs. The Miz in an "I quit" match. This match is now referred to as "The Passion of the Cena". For several weeks the Miz hyped up that he had a strategy that no one had ever thought of before that would guarantee that he would win. That strategy ended up being having Alex Riley coming out to help him beat up Cena. That's it. The match went on forever, with Cena being beaten and tied up, but always NEVER GIVING UP. Then Cena did his typical magically no selling and beating both guys with about 10 seconds of offense.

Was there a Savage tribute on this show? I'm pretty sure Punk did a Savage Elbow Drop but I have a feeling no-one noticed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As a finish, the Main event sucked. But looking ahead, I felt Rock was better chasing the title and the program with Triple H was really fun, week to week with some great matches and great television (minus the Triple H hour long lectures).

• Locked thread