Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
poo poo happened. Watch this match instead: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12xkql_katsuyori-shibata-vs-tomohiro-ishii-njpw-g1-climax-23-08-04-13_sport

Brock Lesnar is your champ
Dolph Ziggler is your IC champ
The Usos are your tag champs
Paige is your diva's champ
e. Sheamus is your US champ lol

Let's post about how the WWE is really treading water without Daniel Bryan and Dean Ambrose

NickRoweFillea fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I honestly think that if someone explained the sunk cost fallacy to Vince, he'd murder them on the spot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
WWE is a rough treading water spot and will eventually get better much to the surprise of some people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They really screwed the pooch with Cena after seemingly moving in the right direction over the last couple of weeks. He didn't sell me at all on the notion that he's now a driven and dangerous man pushing over the line in order to deal with the biggest obstacle he's ever faced in his career. Threatening a lawsuit was a bad start, and then falling back on his usual cheerful cockiness in the main event didn't help matters at all either.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey guys how was Raw?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

oldpainless posted:

Hey guys how was Raw?

it had a pretty good tag match with Ziggler/Sheamus taking on Cesaro/Miz (with Sandow) but it went downhill real quick after that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Hey guys how was Raw?

It was not very good. Not as bad as it is being made out to be, but not a good show at all. I really felt the three hour running time on this one.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bad Raw not as bad as some people made it out to be but still bad.

Also OOOHWAH, Reigns owns, haters vacate.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Commenter elsewhere posted:

I'd compare watching Raw nowadays to spending a night with a hooker.

At the end of the night I feel cheap, dirty, and unsatisfied.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

it had a pretty good tag match with Ziggler/Sheamus taking on Cesaro/Miz (with Sandow) but it went downhill real quick after that

With a brief bright spot of Bo Dallas interviewing all the Americans that Swagger let down by losing to Rusev, featuring glorious Putintron.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
It seems to me that WWE could really use more jobbers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

poo poo happened.
I disagree.

Nothing happened, everyone is still fighting the same everyone else exactly as they were before. We're getting Bray/Jericho IV in a week, the Usos and GoldStar are still fighting each other week after week, Reigns and Orton are fighting to be the prettiest man in a wrestling ring, the Bella Story has been going on for a month now with just interminable time devoted to a story where nothing happens - the heel says mean things and the face never fights back, tacitly agreeing I suppose.

I mean, this evening, in the ring, there were five distinct female characters (four wrestlers) with their own motivations and reasons for doing things. That's unprecedented and really great from a feminist point of view... and I could not care less about it because they've been at each other's throats with no payoff (or even build) for months.

This holding-pattern poo poo is just the worst.

Oh, and don't get me started on how they hosed up Rusev by having him run from Henry. All you have to do to save that spot is have Lana (who is already in the ring) interpose herself (possibly even holding Rusev back) - now Henry is the face because he won't push a woman out of the way, the two giants get to leer at each other face-to-face rather than from 60 feet apart, Lana gets heat for stopping the fight we all want to see, and everything is better in every way.

Instead, the unstoppable Midcard Monster is a chickenshit heel. :kratos:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 2, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
More like Yawn Cena.

All I really saw was Bo talking about people being deported because Swagger lost and then Rusev.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
Guys, I just want to have fun. Why does WWE have to suck the fun out of everything?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I tried really hard to watch this Raw, but once they started doing that Bella twins poo poo, I started watching The Simpsons.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.
This RAW was horrible. It was abymally boring. The direction the company has taken is a giant step backwards. It really has gone back to mid/late 2000s SuperCena era stuff again. I knew the show would suffer when Ambrose left but I had no Idea it would be this bad.

The thing that WWE has been living off of for the last couple of years has been the fact that even when the plots made no sense or things sucked the wrestling was on a whole probably the highest quality the company had put out in who knows how long. That's gone now.

Once again they are throwing every one and everything under the bus for John Cena. Wyatt is dead. Rollins is next, Brock won't survive the month and they killed Cesaro for literally no reason. He didn't get fed to anybody and doesn't even get to do the swing anymore.

For most of the last two years even on bad RAWS you would have a really good SHIELD or Cesaro,Bryan or Punk match not anymore. Now they just have poo poo, and the king of poo poo mountain John Cena.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

It was not very good. Not as bad as it is being made out to be, but not a good show at all. I really felt the three hour running time on this one.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. If it's really bad but not bad but still bad. Doesn't that just mean it was a really lovely raw? Why are you so hesitant to just call it straight up awful?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If this Cena build is leading to another Cena loss then great the build is doing what it's supposed to be doing, creating the belief that Cena can win. If he then actually goes on and wins, even if Rollins cashes in on him. It's just annoying as they still aren't doing anything interesting with the Cena character.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BasicFunk posted:

I tried really hard to watch this Raw, but once they started doing that Bella twins poo poo, I started watching The Simpsons.

Which time? There were multiple (3 by my count) several-minute-long Bella sessions, each more inane than the last, all building to a match that will suck out loud because between the two of them there's like ¼ a competent wrestler.

Really I just don't understand why WWE's writers don't understand how literally ALL OTHER SPORTS AND ALL OTHER ENTERTAINMENT works.

Luke and Vader don't fight each other across the opening crawl, then fight again in the Cantina, then have an epic battle inside the Death Star before having another fight in the Massassi Throne Room for a Leia on a Pole, there's a build until Luke's epic trench run, then the release.

Like, Football: All the teams play different opponents until there's only a few left, with odds-on favorites on two sides that won't meet until the SUPER BOWL. THAT'S HOW YOU BOOK A FEUD.

The Seahawks and Broncos didn't play each other every week throughout January, have a Super Bowl game, then keep playing each other in February!! There was a build, then a release, and now the two teams have stories (Will they repeat?/Will they come back stronger and win this time?). A game that is literally real and not written in advance is booked better than WWE.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 2, 2014

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

The_Rob posted:

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. If it's really bad but not bad but still bad. Doesn't that just mean it was a really lovely raw? Why are you so hesitant to just call it straight up awful?

I'll call it bad. It was bad.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NickRoweFillea posted:

I'll call it bad. It was bad.

This is all I really want.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I was not able to watch Raw but I am glad to hear that Henry/Rusev is still on, but am confused about the fact that Wyatts/World's Steongest Show is also still on? I suppose the worst case scenario would be Rusev joining the Wyatts in the Phantom Zone.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

The_Rob posted:

There were a few things that were good, like Bo just laying it out for swagger, and probably some stuff that could have been good, but overall it just...it just didnt work at all.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Brie Bella made a lovely RAW, and I didn't tell anyone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Because I've seen far, far, far worse shows than that before, and more than anything else what was bad about it was that it was fairly boring or otherwise unremarkable. If it was straight up awful I'd say so, as I have in the past about those much worse episodes.

The worst thing about it was the poor choice of direction for Cena's characterization after the last couple of weeks were so intriguing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress, even TNA teased the "will Dixie be put through a table" for a month, with Bully Ray encountering Dixie before being run off/she escapes for a month. That is how you build to "tune in to see if it happens!" If WWE booked that feud, Dixie would go through a table every week until the heat death of the universe/Bully Ray started to get over, at which point, Bully would be fed to John Cena.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Everblight posted:

Really I just don't understand why WWE's writers don't understand how literally ALL OTHER SPORTS AND ALL OTHER ENTERTAINMENT works.

Here's the thing that it keeps coming back to: these people cannot do their job, on any level.

I'm not just talking competence, because really, you don't need to pen Wire-like or hell, even Arrow-like plots to tell a successful story in wrestling. I'm talking that everything has to go through Vince. And Vince doesn't want to tell a good story. Vince HATES wrestling, and now that it's probably pretty clear that all his dreams of branching out have failed, I'm pretty sure he's slowly going crazy from his lifetime of issues that he tried to self-medicate away. Really, if you get hired to write wrestling storylines, and if everything you do can be thrown out or changed on a whim, or if you get in trouble because you broke some unwritten rule it's impossible for you to figure out, or if you actually try and work out a bible and storyboard stuff and you get derided and insulted for your extra effort, then why bother even trying? Go through the motions, collect a paycheck, network.

What's happening with Cena this and last week is a perfect example. Vince is afraid 'Cena will lose credibility' so he RAPADOOS over a bunch of people. The ten years leading to this and all the facts that this is not the case for a dozen different reasons go in one of Vince's ears and out the other. The only thing that matters is what Vince thinks, and he had the power to inflict his thoughts, QED. It all comes down to Vince, and the fact Vince is a hosed up near-lunatic control freak who wants us to dance to his tune and just doubles down every time the crowd won't. That's it. That's all. Wrestling is INCREDIBLY hosed up, and he's just the latest version of the hosed-up diamonds it produces.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Because there are way worse Raws than this that would make you embarrassed to be a fan of the WWE. Stuff like Cole getting BBQ sprayed on him or lovely 2009 Raws.

Needs More Ditka posted:

Guys, I just want to have fun. Why does WWE have to suck the fun out of everything?
Because they are run by men who want to be seen more than as wrestling promoters.

I will say that at least NXT is goodish (not as perfect as some say) but their quarterly PPV is coming and it should be a fun show sans the probably terrible Bull Dempsey Mojo Rawley match.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You forgot to mention that Sheamus is the US CHamp currently in the WWE.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

achillesforever6 posted:

Because there are way worse Raws than this that would make you embarrassed to be a fan of the WWE. Stuff like Cole getting BBQ sprayed on him or lovely 2009 Raws.

Because they are run by men who want to be seen more than as wrestling promoters.

I will say that at least NXT is goodish (not as perfect as some say) but their quarterly PPV is coming and it should be a fun show sans the probably terrible Bull Dempsey Mojo Rawley match.

NXT is about to get Real Good when KENTA, Steen, and Devitt show up. Holy gently caress I cannot wait

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

achillesforever6 posted:

The bbq sauce was at least funny though.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Anime Device posted:

You forgot to mention that Sheamus is the US CHamp currently in the WWE.

lmao, shows you the value of the US Title

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Cena cared less about this Raw than I did.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The only enjoyable thing tonight was laughing at how terrible it was.

Well, that and Bo's bit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

The_Rob posted:

The bbq sauce was at least funny though.
No it wasn't it was one of those moments that you have people walk in when watching wrestling that makes you hate the product for making you look like a fool. :argh:

NickRoweFillea posted:

NXT is about to get Real Good when KENTA, Steen, and Devitt show up. Holy gently caress I cannot wait
Don't forget Willie Mack also got signed

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

achillesforever6 posted:

No it wasn't it was one of those moments that you have people walk in when watching wrestling that makes you hate the product for making you look like a fool. :argh:

http://pwinsider.com/article/87966/wwe-signing-top-california-talent-finally.html?p=1

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

achillesforever6 posted:

:eyepop:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

projecthalaxy posted:

I was not able to watch Raw but I am glad to hear that Henry/Rusev is still on, but am confused about the fact that Wyatts/World's Steongest Show is also still on? I suppose the worst case scenario would be Rusev joining the Wyatts in the Phantom Zone.

They actually addressed this in a sensible backstage segment where Henry said he was putting the World's Strongest Show on hold to defend America's honour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Man, planning Dean Ambrose's time off for now seems so dumb. Not even just cause he's sorely missed, but he really was doing great since The Shield breakup and that Rollins/Ambrose main event was taking it to another level. I'm sure he'll be fine when he gets back but holding off when the iron is hot seems like a bad call.

Bray Wyatt only cut an standard Bray Wyatt promo for all of Raw. I say standard because, can he really keep running with the "destroying your heroes" thing? It was good at the start of his run, got great when he had actual momentum, but after the Cena feud and the Y2J feud being lackluster I wonder if they're going to have to switch it up with him. Or at least tweak it.

The Brie/Steph storyline was well-handled and resulted in a surprisingly watchable match - the Nikki heel turn made a lot of sense. But for the airtime they're being given, the crowd really really didn't seem to give a poo poo anymore, even when they brought in AJ and Paige. Admittedly this was Iowa, which tends to be awful, but I think the acting talents of the Bellas being used in a soap opera-y promo heavy storyline might be the bigger problem?

I am rooting for the Dusts and Cesaro, over their face opponents.

These are my thoughts on a bad Raw.

• Locked thread