Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
We dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

never forget

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I blame Gray Hunter's insufficient grasp of the English language.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Finally, an LP using the new version! I'd love to throw my hat into the ring for potential overseership but with my current job it'd be impossible. Still, can't wait to see where this swamphole goes.

(to hell, most likely)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TildeATH posted:

I blame Gray Hunter's insufficient grasp of the English language.

It's Grey you Yankee fool. You can't even spell a simple colour correctly! Honour and Valour are beyond you!

(I'm guessing your American from your incorrect spelling ;))

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 12, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Grey Hunter posted:

It's Grey you Yankee fool. You can't even spell a simple colour correctly! Honour and Valour are beyond you!

(I'm guessing your you're American from your incorrect spelling ;))

:v:

We use both Gray and Grey here in the States, though compound words based on it will generally only be spelled one way (like Greyhound).

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

(I'm guessing your American from your incorrect spelling ;))

Uh-oh.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
OP, am I wrong or was it yourself who started the Grandmirrors(or something) DF LP a while ago? The delay here isn't by any chance you trying to mine out a massive intricate forge level one z above the magma sea, as a a result having to spend ages unpausing and redesignating dig spots as the dwarves cancel due to warm stone...?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Damnation.

Err.... Spelling and Grammer are two different things?

Who am I kidding? I was just responding to a lighthearted barb with one of my own....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

Err.... Spelling and Grammer are two different things?

One is a fundamental basis of language and communication, the other is Sideshow Bob.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Grey Hunter posted:

Err.... Spelling and GrammAr are two different things?

Apparently not. :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sometimes I spell poorly, sometimes I make jokes about spelling badly.

I'm defiantly sure this is a derail though.......

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm defiantly sure this is a derail though.......

:allears:

Ahem, yes, anyway, poor Grey's handicap aside, I'm looking forward to see the next update, and the next year. It's been a while since I caught one of these on the ground floor, as it were. Why, I'm only the 189th person on the dwarfing list! Practically among the first seven, that is!

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
I am glad that you're doing this LP, I haven't played DF in a while and a new version + LP is the perfect time for me try and carve out a new dwarf settlement.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Dashticle posted:

OP, am I wrong or was it yourself who started the Grandmirrors(or something) DF LP a while ago? The delay here isn't by any chance you trying to mine out a massive intricate forge level one z above the magma sea, as a a result having to spend ages unpausing and redesignating dig spots as the dwarves cancel due to warm stone...?

I did do Grandmirror a while back, yes. (nothing more to be said about that.)

And no, the delay is for issues that happened in meatspace. The year is done; I've just got some image cropping to do and then I'll post my update and open the :siren:OVERSEER LOTTERY:siren:.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Here's hoping my dwarf is a crafter who goes crazy and kills people.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

I think I pulled out the only memorable event so far. :argh:

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
Given how child dwarves are typically undesired by those who sign up, would it be possible to basically consider them separately? Just looking at the spreadsheet, out of 234 sign-ups, only 7 specified wishing to be a child dwarf. 2.9%! By comparison, adult dwarves were specified for 114 out of the 234: 48%.

An idea comes to mind, based on the obvious situation of readers wanting to be assigned dwarves who will be doing things and won't take in-game years, quite possibly real-time months, to be notable. That being, this could help ameliorate the classic "aww, the dwarf list is super long, I'll never get in" issue a bit. Simply, children are not filled in during regular dwarf-naming via birth/migration. One has to specifically ask to be a child to be assigned a child dwarf. On one hand, this means that the list can progress slightly slower (migrations almost certainly will be outpacing birth rates in terms of population growth), but on the other it means that a prospective new participant can 'skip the line' by accepting the drawbacks of being dwarfed as a child.

Alternatively, due to how raws work, replacing [CHILD:12] with [CHILD:1] or something in the dwarf raw would mean that the fort would only need to wait 1 year for a newborn child (migrant children always arrive as at least age 2) to become an adult. Cheating? A little bit. Would it make things more streamlined? I think that'd be worth it. At the very least, growth hormone jokes. Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure if this would lead to actual rapid physical adulthood or just child labor/soldiers.

:v: As usual, mad science ends up my focus in these threads. This was such a benevolent idea until I realized that! Anything involving the [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] token is hilarious, semi-related.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

That sounds pretty good, otherwise they're useless for a long time before getting slaughtered because their mother decided to drag them into battle, into the middle of nowhere and get ambushed, or into the caves and die when they get blocked in.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Epee Em posted:

Given how child dwarves are typically undesired by those who sign up, would it be possible to basically consider them separately? Just looking at the spreadsheet, out of 234 sign-ups, only 7 specified wishing to be a child dwarf. 2.9%! By comparison, adult dwarves were specified for 114 out of the 234: 48%.

An idea comes to mind, based on the obvious situation of readers wanting to be assigned dwarves who will be doing things and won't take in-game years, quite possibly real-time months, to be notable. That being, this could help ameliorate the classic "aww, the dwarf list is super long, I'll never get in" issue a bit. Simply, children are not filled in during regular dwarf-naming via birth/migration. One has to specifically ask to be a child to be assigned a child dwarf. On one hand, this means that the list can progress slightly slower (migrations almost certainly will be outpacing birth rates in terms of population growth), but on the other it means that a prospective new participant can 'skip the line' by accepting the drawbacks of being dwarfed as a child.

Alternatively, due to how raws work, replacing [CHILD:12] with [CHILD:1] or something in the dwarf raw would mean that the fort would only need to wait 1 year for a newborn child (migrant children always arrive as at least age 2) to become an adult. Cheating? A little bit. Would it make things more streamlined? I think that'd be worth it. At the very least, growth hormone jokes. Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure if this would lead to actual rapid physical adulthood or just child labor/soldiers.

:v: As usual, mad science ends up my focus in these threads. This was such a benevolent idea until I realized that! Anything involving the [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS] token is hilarious, semi-related.

What about the other 50% of people who don't care?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Vadoc posted:

That sounds pretty good, otherwise they're useless for a long time before getting slaughtered because their mother decided to drag them into battle, into the middle of nowhere and get ambushed, or into the caves and die when they get blocked in.

You don't get Dwarf Fortress.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
You do get some interesting child dwarves from the stories though. RIP Penguingo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jimmy Jangleboots will be the best child dwarf

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Boing posted:

You do get some interesting child dwarves from the stories though. RIP Penguingo

Sometimes the kids necessitate massive undertakings with glass and magma deep beneath the earth in order to prevent a cataclysm from the waking of He Who Walks Between the Forges.

Like some kind of Child Containment Complex.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Fifth Entry
Winter has arrived on the calendar.
Nine months. It has been nine months, more or less, since we came here. We stand at 21 dwarves and our food stores are holding steady, thanks to the ability of our turkeys to squat out eggs that can be made into wonderful...

egg stews. Don't the humans have another name for it? Eh, doesn't matter.

Our industry is going well. With nothing to mine, I've decided to add the miners to the Masonry Corps... temporarily, until further expansion is needed.

Industry is good, and we're surviving.

~~
8th Opal
Woytaz has suddenly dropped his drink and started yelling for a glass furnace. Uh-oh... I call for Ninjewtsu to help out. Thank the gods we have two glassmakers!

~~

20th Opal
Woytaz keeps muttering something about "Takuthkonos" needing raw green glass... ninjewtsu is working as fast as she can. I am worried about Woytaz, he looks extremely thirsty.

~~
24th Opal
Woytaz has apparently gotten all he needs to build what he was struck with the inspiration for... Hopefully he finishes it before he dehydrates completely.

~~
1st Obsidian

There was a yell coming from the glass furnaces. Woytaz has apparently woken from his stupor, yelling about why he was here when he was so drat thirsty and what this gem was. He then stomped off to the drinking halls.

I took a look at what he left behind, a gem with a picture of a book on it. Apparently it is called Chasmbrass. Too bad woytaz doesn't remember a drat thing about making it, it's really perfect.

~~
11th Obsidian

It may be a bit on the morbid side, but I have recieved word that the mausoleum is ready. The seven coffins that greet visitors to the necropolis are reserved for me and the six others who started building this place, so that we may never be forgotten...

Of course, it's expandable. The necropolis holds space for more coffins to give dwarves their final rest, plus a plan for a tomb for a royal, if one comes to stay here in Fogwall.

~~
As the year comes to a close, I reflect on how we got here. Seven outcasts from a mad administrator's rampage start a rather nice fort that even manages to trade with the mountain halls. For someone who was supposed to die from exile, I consider myself very lucky. And now the time has come to close this chapter of Fogwall. May my successor continue to keep us thriving.

The wet season has arrived!
Spring has arrived on the calendar.

Status, end of 550

Overseer Lottery time! Just state your intent to oversee Fogwall in this thread, and in 48 hours I will randomly select the Overseer for the next year from those who spoke up.

Here is the savegame for those interested.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 14, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Intentional poor decision signup bere

Overseer me!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

poo poo, I'll throw my hat in the pot or however it goes. I'm in.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
Let's do it. I want to be an Overseer!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to intentionally make this fortress near unplayable for the third Overseer

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to intentionally make this fortress near unplayable for the third Overseer

I know we are not voting but if we were the honesty of this candidate has my vote.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
I'm in. I'll play an overseer who never wanted the job and is pretty sure he'll gently caress it up.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Ok screw it I'm in.

On the one hand I'm flying home tomorrow so might not see the thread til tomorrow night, on the other it's the last week of freedom before college/work starts again so why not make the most of it by trying to manage an anthill of wee computerised sociopaths.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

I know we are not voting but if we were the honesty of this candidate has my vote.

In Bronzestabbed I was honestly surprised and amazed at the wonderful secret child meeting area.

And am sad that I can't come up with anything as wonderful yet. Though year 2 is generally forges and fortifications.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

With :siren:8 hours:siren: left until the draw, here's a list of people interested in the next turn so far:

• Veloxyll
  • scamtank
  • symuun
  • ninjewtsu
  • Woodburger
  • Dashticle

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
No Bad Munki?
No Bad Munki!
Perhaps doom can be forestalled after all...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't think he is even reading this thread yet. Just wait a little while until things start happening and the thread actually begins to move. This first year was actually quite boring.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
First years are generally boring... just from poking around the save I reckon that things are have potential to get very interesting very quickly.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah sure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm surprised we weren't hit with the first year siege bug. That can be a real nuisance to deal with these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Entries closed!

Using random.org to pick, and symuun is the winner! You have 24 hours to start your turn. Good luck!

• Locked thread