Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
You know what's gotten a lot better in the past thousand years? Food. There's so much of it! And you can keep it good for ages. I hear people complain and joke about McDonalds, but, just... wow. Do you know how expensive a good piece of beef used to be? And ketchup -- we didn't even have tomatoes, and here everyone is with all this stuff that they can keep for weeks before it goes bad, and spices from around the world, and... okay, okay, sorry. I'll stop. Hey, it's not my fault you wanted to meet in one of the few operational fast food restaurants in town! Thanks for lunch, by the way, I-- fries! Have I mentioned those? We didn't have potatoes either, and salt was--

Right. I'm wasting your time, aren't I? Let's get on with things. Grace Walker -- fallen angel. Yeah, really. Cast out of heaven and anything. By choice, though! Sure, it seems fine up there to begin with, but then you look and two centuries have gone by, and you realise that you're not actually doing anything. Not anything real, at least. Not anything that helps people. So you just kind of sit around and listen to music and have insipid conversations, and train for a war with the other side that, let's face it, is not ever going to happen. I'm pretty sure anyone downstairs who ever cared about what we did up there stopped caring years ago. And why would they? Like, really? Like I said, no one up there ever does anything.

I mean, the Boss Man's got his big plan, and he works in mysterious ways, and he helps those who help themselves... which is all a nice way of saying that he doesn't really like to do poo poo, so no one else is allowed to be any use either. There are problems down here! Big problems! Famine, war, disease... and okay, maybe this city isn't the worst off in the world. I mean, it definitely isn't. But it's a start, right? If I can do a bit of good here, I can move on to other places. I mean, this city? It was the last straw. I looked down, and saw how bad things were for some people down here, and I just lost it. Went off on a huge rant, shouted at anyone who tried to argue with me... then left.

I've been here for a couple years now, doing whatever I can, even though it never really feels like enough. I volunteer in soup kitchens sometimes, or at shelters. Or I... take care of people who want to take advantage of other peoples' misfortunes. No, I don't kill anyone. Or, not recently. That's not why I'm here. But I don't think anyone's really going to complain about me punching out a thief to get back somebody's bag, or running off a gang of two-bit punks who think they can extort people while there's still no proper rule of law in a lot of places. I do what I can, basically.

There are a lot of... young people around town, too. Runaways, or just with no place to go. And I've sort of started spending a lot of time around their usual haunts. I guess I can kind of relate, you know? And regardless of how old I am chronologically, I still look young enough that no one's said anything. It's just... nice to have some company sometimes. With how many people there are in the world now, I never thought it would get so lonely down here.

quote:

Grace Walker, The Angel
Distant, intense eyes
Deserter

Hot: 0
Cold: 0
Volatile: 1
Trespass: 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 :Forgiveness

Exp: 0/5|No Advances
Harm: 0/4
Conditions:

Moves:

Cast From Heaven
You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead.

Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass.

If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Smiting
When smiting the wicked, add 1 to your lash out physically roll and add 1 harm to any harm dealt.

Gaze Into Heaven
When you gaze into heaven, as a servant of the lord, roll with Forgiveness. On a 10 up, you are filled with his voice, and may ask him for guidance or command. Carry one forward to whatever you’d like. • On a 7-9, you are greeted by one of his emissaries, who will impart to you a mission. Carry one forward to completing that mission.

When you gaze into heaven, as a spurious and hateful child, it counts as gazing into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: the visions show you what the lord fears most from you, and you carry 1 forward to realizing that fear. • On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions show you how you have upset or bewildered the lord.

Sex Move
When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose here on earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self
You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and indepedence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

Backstory:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Moe

No one knows what Moe's deal is. On one hand, he doesn't seem to do a lot aside from shave once a week and play first person shooters on his mysteriously intact Internet connection. But somehow, he can get stuff. Food, cellphone chargers, tools, drinks, information. Is his dad secretly a high level mob boss? Is he actually a billionaire web entrepreneur who is choosing to slum it in this lovely town? Is he secretly a time traveler from the next century? It depends on who you ask!

The only thing anyone knows for certain is that, if you have a problem and can pay, Moe can probably help you fix it.

Open Hearts Nondenominational Youth Center

Formerly Sacred Hearts Catholic Youth Center, Open Hearts was a somewhat shabby looking building even before the flooding an general infrastructural neglect hit the city. While once it served more as the host for a variety of tedious programming that teachers would assure you would look great on your college applications, today it spends most of its unfortunately scanty operating budget trying to provide food and other assistance for homeless young people. The interior of the building is still festooned with anti-drug slogans and old issues of teen magazines that have never been read by anyone over the age of 12. Lines are long, and the staff is manically chipper.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Okay, added NPC stuff.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Everyone:
If you haven’t already detailed where you live (or at least, sleep in reasonable safety most nights), let me know where you live in this crazy town - is it by yourself, or some communal shelter? What's it like?

I'll crash wherever it's convenient. Like, if someone offers a couch or a whatever, I'll go for it. Most nights, though, I'm camped out in this cramped little second story apartment that got abandoned after the flooding. Requires a bit of climbing around to get to the place -- it's really tempting to bust out the wings and just fly up aometimes, but I don't want to bring down that kind of attention on myself if I get spotted. It being hard to access is actually why I picked the place, anyway. It's where I keep the kind of thing I really would rather someone not steal, or even just catch a glimpse of. Ancient rune-embossed longswords beaten into shape in the forges of the heavens tend to raise some questions when people find them hidden under your cot.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Grace:
You haven’t killed recently? So you have killed? Who and why and how?

Johnny Gladstone. Because he deserved it. With a sword.

Okay, that's kind of evading your questions, I guess. I used to do a bit of work for this lady named Barbra, who was a local representative for some charity or another. It's hard to keep them all straight sometimes. You know, handing out non-perishable food and baby formula and blankets. The kind of thing that helps people in the short term, but can't really do a lot to fix the things that are actually wrong here. Not that the people trying to fix the big problems have been particularly successful so far, so what do I know?

Anyway, Barbra was married to an rear end in a top hat named Johnny. I saw him sometimes. Don't think I ever talked to the him, just struck me as a weaselly, nervous little man. I never thought too much about him, I guess. Well, one night, he shot Barbra. I don't know why -- maybe they had a fight and things got out of hand. She could have been sleeping around on him for all I know. I didn't really care about why, though. At the time, all I cared about was "justice." The authorities -- or whatever passed for them -- sure weren't going to do anything about it. So, I went looking for him him.

I tracked him down to the place he was hiding out and confronted him, wings, sword and all, armoured in righteous fury. He just kind of stared at me, shocked and terrified, until I rammed my sword through his heart and left him there to rot.

I'm... not sure it was the right thing to do. It felt like it at the time, but I was just so angry. It was a rush, to judge someone and carry out the sentence on my own authority. And I can still feel that sometimes. Other times... well, other times it just feels like I put a sword into a defenseless man while he was too scared even to beg for mercy. Either way, I haven't let myself go that far again.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Grace:In your time on Earth, you've done something that you know God would gravely disapprove of. What was it?

What, you mean aside from killing someone that one time? That was honestly the worst of it, but the truth is, I do a lot of things that the Boss Man would not approve of. Like, remember how I said I'm willing to crash wherever it's safe and convenient? Well, I'm not always alone. I'm an angel -- I'm supposed to be chaste and upright and removed from the world, not stumbling exhausted into bed with someone I don't even know at the end of a long day. I mean, it's not like this is every night or anything. But it's just... so much easier now than I remember it being while I was alive, and definitely easier than when I was Upstairs. It's not really rational at all, but for whatever reason the sex is what makes me feel most guilty. Probably because I can't actually justify it as anything other than pleasing myself. It's not helping those in need, it's not keeping anyone safe... it's just making it so I don't feel quite so alone, for a little while.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Grace: Most people only see you as a figurative angel, someone selfless and charitable, but someone suspects there's something more to you. What happened to give them that suspicion, and what does it mean for you?

Oh. Meg. Ugh, don't remind me. I feel bad for her, because now everyone thinks she's crazy -- she's already an aging homeless lady, so they don't need a lot of encouragement on that score. I try hard not to bust out the wings unless there's a really pressing need, but, well, I already told you about Johnny. It was pretty light, and I was in a mostly dark part of town, and I was tired, so I figured it would be fine to just nip through the air back to my place. I thought I'd gotten away with it, too, until the next day. Meg is there in line for a cereal bar and a bottle of apple juice like always, but when she sees me, she just points and starts going on about how I'm an angel. How she saw me last night, flying overhead, carrying a sword red with the blood of the wicked! How clearly, I am come to save them all and punish those undeserving, and...

Well, this went on for about half an hour. That day. Obviously no one believed it. Meg isn't crazy, but she kind of... looks like how people want to think crazy people look, you know? Clothes falling apart and mismatched and the wrong size, hair grey and unwashed and messy, vaguely deer-in-headlights look whenever she gets at all excited. You know. And she's here ranting about how an apparently ordinary girl is an angel and all, so, uh, well it's not done a lot for her reputation. She hasn't given up on it, though, even if she doesn't necessarily go shouting it from the rooftops anymore. Whenever I see her, she'll ask me about why I'm here, what I'm going to do to fix this whole mess, what God's plan for this city is. And I just have to kind of smile and pretend I don't know what she's talking about. She's actually taken to following me around sometimes, and the problem is, she's pretty good at following you unseen when she puts her mind to it.

I'm mostly just hoping it doesn't end up causing a problem down the line.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

quote:

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.
I work as hard as I can, but most of the time I feel like I'm not making any headway. I'm trying to improve things, make people's lives better, but it never seems to work out. Then I look over and see this Eve girl, pushing this weird drug no one's ever heard of for her own profit. And yet... she's doing it. She's accomplishing things where I'm not, even though she's just helping to make everything worse. It's like Someone just wants her to succeed more than me. It gets pretty frustrating sometimes!

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.
Euphemia claims to have found God. Claims that He's guiding her, helping her -- He's not, though. I'm pretty sure He doesn't care enough about people anymore to take that kind of personal interest, even if the things she's doing didn't seem so troubling. She's lost -- I have to help her, somehow. If I can't even save one person, how can I pretend to be making a difference here?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Grace:
Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Natalie... somehow reminds me of everything I didn't like about Upstairs. I know, I know, that's pretty melodramatic. She's just another two bit schemer who thinks she can carve out a piece of town while everything's still half in ruins. But it's just the way she acts. High and mighty, like she's better than the people beneath her, like she doesn't have any actually obligation to keep them safe even while they're doing what she wants them to. I'll have to keep an eye on her too, I guess.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Eve can highlight cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I like my character concept and I wanted to give the Angel more of a shot than this, but I think it's pretty clear I'm not keeping up with the games I'm in already. Probably for the best if I back out.

• Locked thread