Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4
Tomorrow I go to Boston. This will be my first time ever. What shall I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The aquarium is cool, go there!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Aquarium and Science Museum (if you are a child/child at heart). If you like history and freedom walking, walk the Freedom Trail downtown, it will take you to the North Church and the Capitol and all that. The Common/Public Garden is also a nice area to walk around but don't go through it at night.

Can you be more specific in your timeframe of visit/locations/likes and dislikes?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go look at Harvard and MIT campuses, there's always some event or other happening, and even if there's not it's still worth the visit for the architecture and permanent displays. MIT has a little tech museum for instance, it's on Mass Ave.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I don't mean to hijack this topic, but since my question is related, I will post it here. I will also go to Boston in a few weeks to visit a friend who is currently halfway during his studies there. I suppose he will know his way around Boston by now, but any recommendations are welcome. For instance, we were thinking about going to a Red Sox game. However, the final game of the season (vs. the Yankees on Sept. 27) is the only we will be able to make and it seems like tickets are already sold out completely. Are there any chances of obtaining tickets on the match-day itself without paying multiple times the original price?

We will also rent a car and drive around New England for a week or two. Perfect, since we will be there in the middle of the fall foliage. Currently on our list of things to do is visit Cape Cod for a day or two, go whale-watching, visit Salem, spend a day or three-four in Maine, drive around Vermont and make a quick round-trip to the Niagara Falls. Any concrete tips are very welcome!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Funny Bunny posted:

I don't mean to hijack this topic, but since my question is related, I will post it here. I will also go to Boston in a few weeks to visit a friend who is currently halfway during his studies there. I suppose he will know his way around Boston by now, but any recommendations are welcome. For instance, we were thinking about going to a Red Sox game. However, the final game of the season (vs. the Yankees on Sept. 27) is the only we will be able to make and it seems like tickets are already sold out completely. Are there any chances of obtaining tickets on the match-day itself without paying multiple times the original price?

We will also rent a car and drive around New England for a week or two. Perfect, since we will be there in the middle of the fall foliage. Currently on our list of things to do is visit Cape Cod for a day or two, go whale-watching, visit Salem, spend a day or three-four in Maine, drive around Vermont and make a quick round-trip to the Niagara Falls. Any concrete tips are very welcome!

1. There's always ticket scalpers outside Red Sox games as far as I know. I just saw at least 4 while walking by Fenway Park this evening during the game. I don't know how the prices compare to box office prices, but if they're sold out, scalpers would be your only hope anyway.

2. I'm not an expert New England tourist even though I've lived here all my life, but I thought Acadia National Park in Maine was pretty nice. Also Provincetown at the end of the Cape, Providence is a nice small city, and there's Old Sturbridge Village that recreates a colonial-era town 8 hours a day I believe. For hiking, go to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Also apple picking is a big thing during fall in New England. If you're going towards Niagara Falls anyway, the Amherst area of Western Mass is pretty nice, including Northampton, but that's just personal preference. Quaint little New England towns have lots of charm, especially the ones around Boston, at least the ones that never had a huge industrial presence.

Thinking about it for a second, I don't really think it's worth the 7 hour drive to go to Niagara Falls. Maybe because I've seen it before, but if you've seen one huge dam, you've seen them all. I'd spend that time traipsing around New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont if I were you guys. More to see and do, with always something to stop over and look at. I don't recall there really being anything of note on the way up through Upstate NY, it's basically one city after another (Albany, Syracuse, Rochester). Just saying. But I've barely ever been up there.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 10, 2014

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Funny Bunny posted:

Check these websites if you don't want to day of scalpers:
stubhub.com
scorebig.com
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/ticket_exchange.jsp
craigslist.org

Google around and you should be able to find coupon codes for stubhub or scorebig

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Funny Bunny posted:

You're probably not booking enough time for all that to be honest. Take Niagara falls out of the equation and you'll have a way better time.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
Thanks everyone for your advice! I've had doubts about the Niagara Falls as well and would rather just focus on the New England region, but this will also depend on my friend and his preferences. Even outside that I realise that these plans are a bit ambitious. I'm definitely not going there with the desire to see everything, this was just a list of things that at least seemed cool to me. We will definitely be taking our time.

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
I just took my friend (and goon!) around for his first time in Boston. I've lived here for 7 years, so I'm pretty familiar with the city. He's not a sporty person, and neither am I, so it didn't factor into anything we did. I made sure he saw a fuckton of things in Boston in a two and a half day package. I packaged them by public transit lines.

We went to the Green Line, to the SkyWalk. You can go two subway stops further, and start at Fenway and the Citgo sign. Back at the SkyWalk, you go on the 50th floor of the Prudential Center, and can see for 40 miles outside of the city in any directions.

From there, I took him to the Boston Public Library, where I volunteer as a tour guide, and gave him the mini-tour. There are free tours every Tuesday and Thursday, at 6 PM, and Monday and Wednesday at 10 AM, I think. Lots of amazing architecture and art, as well as history.

I showed him the Marathon finish line, as well as what's left of the memorial there. It's across the street from the BPL.

We got coffee, and walked to the Boston Gardens and Commons, through Newbury Street, a popular high end shopping district.

We saw the State House, the Old Burying Graveyards, the site of the Boston Massacre, the old State House, another old graveyard, Fanieul Hall and Quincy Market, and went to Chinatown. We headed to MIT, had dinner, and rode Hubway bikes between Cambridge and Boston.

The next day, we went out to the Harbor Islands via a ferry, where an old fort is, did a tour there and collected sea glass, came back, went to the North End, had a coffee and canoli break at Modern Pastry, toured Paul Revere's House, ate at the original Regina's Pizzeria, went out to Harvard, walked around there, took pictures.

The next day I went to work (can't call out too often) and I directed him to Salem, Concord, and Lexington. We met up with some other friends for unlimited sushi in Medford. He saw most of everything of note in the city.

You can cut and trim this to your needs. Ask away - I host friends from abroad and family members constantly.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

my darling feet posted:

the Boston Gardens and Commons

don't call either of those that

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Riptor posted:

I call them the public garden and the (boston) common, is that better?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Tautologicus posted:

I call them the public garden and the (boston) common, is that better?

there ya go

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating

Riptor posted:

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

You got it. it's probably a good idea to know the names of the places you're recommending to people

• Locked thread