Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i liked dungeons and dragons online, as the game played significantly differently from war of worldcraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

the people that actually wanted that poo poo were super loving loud about it and the people that didn't were ambivalent

I'm not surprised they overestimated demand for it

Who in their right mind would demand for poo poo game mechanics like that? Who?

*eyes gaze over to Star Citizen Thread"

oh......

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
In my limited mmo experience, the problem with them is the crafting systems. Nerds will play lovely combat all day all the time (see every modern FF game, every multiplayer PC Fps). But when half your game and a lot of your success is based on crafting, no one will want to play it after a month if crafting isn't intuitive and/or rewarding.

What say you, imps?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
crafting is only good when you can make useful or fun stuff with it.

Most crafting in games is poo poo and you have to make 90% garbage to get to the 10% of stuff you'll actually want

MMO crafting should be like legos, take a random bunch of parts and your only limit should be your imagination.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
could someone explain to me, a person that has never touched an mmo in his life, what exactly the huge problems with wildstar are? i'm genuinely curious.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Nasgate posted:

In my limited mmo experience, the problem with them is the crafting systems. Nerds will play lovely combat all day all the time (see every modern FF game, every multiplayer PC Fps). But when half your game and a lot of your success is based on crafting, no one will want to play it after a month if crafting isn't intuitive and/or rewarding.

What say you, imps?

the crafting in guild wars 2 and everquest 2 was actually kinda interesting

wildstar hyped their crafting up so loving much and it's a boring as poo poo "FIGURE OUT WHERE TO PUT WHAT ITEMS" thing

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AHungryRobot posted:

could someone explain to me, a person that has never touched an mmo in his life, what exactly the huge problems with wildstar are? i'm genuinely curious.

Do you enjoy buying a game and are thwarted at every turn at an attempt to beat it and never get anywhere? Do you like spending hours upon hours doing the same action over and over just for the smallest amount of progress to only have it taken away from you in mere seconds?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

AHungryRobot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6j04OGUpRI&t=5s

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Do you enjoy buying a game and are thwarted at every turn at an attempt to beat it and never get anywhere? Do you like spending hours upon hours doing the same action over and over just for the smallest amount of progress to only have it taken away from you in mere seconds?

dang. is the loot good at least?

edit: good as in not soul-crushingly grindy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AHungryRobot posted:

dang. is the loot good at least?

edit: good as in not soul-crushingly grindy

No, it's not. You're apparently stuck with garbage until you get attuned.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

crafting is only good when you can make useful or fun stuff with it.

Most crafting in games is poo poo and you have to make 90% garbage to get to the 10% of stuff you'll actually want

MMO crafting should be like legos, take a random bunch of parts and your only limit should be your imagination.

Play ArcheAge. Build a house.

Then build a pirate boat to steal other peoples' houses :getin:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

like literally every single MMO out there ever, gotcha

don't play MMORPGs kids

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Axel Serenity posted:

build a boat out of houses.

*edit*
I just stumbled into a bunch of youtube videos filled with insufferable people defending their MMos. MMO wars are more pathetic than console wars.

I just don't see how hard it is to design a game with a massive world and being able to leave the grind and e-sports/epeen out. It doesn't seem that hard from even a mechanical perspective.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 4, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mordesh chicks are hot, OP.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

The Taint Reaper posted:

I just don't see how hard it is to design a game with a massive world and being able to leave the grind and e-sports/epeen out. It doesn't seem that hard from even a mechanical perspective.

Like any game, making it fun for a length of time longer than your standard single-player campaign is really tricky and sorta rare. Plus, you get a whole lot of complicated technical constraints, and the design has to veer around the idea that there are a lot of players. The "RPG" part in "MMORPG" doesn't do it any favors either; favoring progress in terms of character stats or loot stats promotes a never-ending grind in the quest to one-up your fellow players with very simple and comparable numbers. The alternative is to reset everything to zero a lot, constantly reusing the same stuff instead of a long but steady progression. Sorta like Mobas and Day-Z-likes, I guess.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

Like any game, making it fun for a length of time longer than your standard single-player campaign is really tricky and sorta rare. Plus, you get a whole lot of complicated technical constraints, and the design has to veer around the idea that there are a lot of players. The "RPG" part in "MMORPG" doesn't do it any favors either; favoring progress in terms of character stats or loot stats promotes a never-ending grind in the quest to one-up your fellow players with very simple and comparable numbers. The alternative is to reset everything to zero a lot, constantly reusing the same stuff instead of a long but steady progression. Sorta like Mobas and Day-Z-likes, I guess.

Yeah, I think ARPG leagues generally work best to achieve that without creating a horrible grind in the process.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think itd be better for MMO's to go after niches rather than get the World of Warcraft audience, which as a whole, already have World of Warcraft to play and have sunk years into playing it.

Like EVE Online, which while bad, does at least cater to sociopath neckbeards and makes funny stories

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

All residential districts will already be filled at launch day on all servers, filled during the first few hours of preorder head start. If you want a house you'll have to be on a paid account and wait a few weeks for someone who quit to fall far enough behind on their rent. Players are going to quit when they see this, how bad the labor point system is and the utter lack of a PvE endgame at launch, so there's an off-chance you'll be able to build a house a month or two down the road if you're constantly monitoring abandoned homesteads.

The boat thing is very good advice. Build a harpoon clipper and look for rowboats to tow around. Build an adventure clipper and sink other players' boats, leaving them with a huge repair bill. Jump onto random harpoon clippers at the docks and drag them down to the sea floor.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
lot of people came back to eso from wild star. saying that wildstar was a piece of poo poo, whereas eso in contrast, was good and going gfrom strenghth to strentgh

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think itd be better for MMO's to go after niches rather than get the World of Warcraft audience, which as a whole, already have World of Warcraft to play and have sunk years into playing it.
Judging from the plummeting subscription numbers, even WoW's players don't want to play games like WoW anymore.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Asimo posted:

Judging from the plummeting subscription numbers, even WoW's players don't want to play games like WoW anymore.

More people quit than the people who are currently playing the game.

Although that doesn't figure in poo poo like private servers in which case, there are people still playing wow with their preferred patch version. I really have to wonder how much the Warcraft movie is going to wind up figuring into everything, because Activision supposedly has non-blizzard studios lined up to make the tie-in software. And they did not want to the movie to share a ton of things right down to the font with World of Warcraft.

The only thing I could possibly compare it to would be Transformers, which I still cannot figure out why that movie series is so popular. But it wound up making the the franchise better as a whole because it lead to a shitload of other things like the comics and collector's lines.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 4, 2014

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Taint Reaper hosed around with this message at Sep 3, 2014 around 22:59

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime Device posted:

The Taint Reaper hosed around with this message at Sep 3, 2014 around 22:59

I'm up late playing Monkey Island

Soral
May 30, 2009

final fantasy 14 is pretty fun, imho. i pay $12 or whatever once in a while and play it for a few weeks.

Soral
May 30, 2009

that's all i have to say on the topic of mmos, a dead genre for idiots like me to play

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the art in wildstar made me think of cargo cult WoW. like, "WoW has big distinguishable symbols and shapes on their equipment, idk where they go though so lets put the screws on the tits"

thats my wildstar story, i havent actually played it because rofl at playing a subscription mmo

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

http://www.everjane.com/

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is it possible to play a male character in Ever Jane? I want to run around RPing guys from the first series of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

lmao

it'd be better if the announcer actually insulted you when gaining a level, though

anyway i actually miss playing coh/cov every once in a while, it was fun making silly characters and superjumping across roofs and like dancing with partying lower-level troll mobs because enemies wouldn't attack you first if you were 5 (or maybe 6, i forget) levels higher

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Ffxiv is good because it's casual as gently caress and the developers are weird Japanese dudes

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

so what happens when you finally finish doing all this crap

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Sombrerotron posted:

Lol

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

iunno, maybe you get a new mount or something?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Step 0: Pull out your credit card

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I thought Onyxia's attunement was a PITA but drat son

What the gently caress do half of those actually teach you about how to not suck at raids anyway

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Someone should make a Cookie Clicker with a sub fee. I'm sure some idiot would pay for it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Buck Turgidson posted:

Step 0: Pull out your gun and discharge it into your head to save yourself from the dreary terror of accumulating endgame gear

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

lets you participate in raids, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

yeah i figured that out by now and lmao at having to go through all that just to get started on raiding

tbf though i've got gently caress all experience with mmo endgame content so maybe this isn't out of the ordinary, but still

• Locked thread