Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
And so another MMO has fallen on this sinking ship of a genre.

They're merging everyone into a single server at this time, and it seems most days nobody can do end game content because there are not even enough players to even start the attunement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
lol

(i preordered the deluxe version of the game and was sick of it before the beta period ended. score one for wildstar, i guess)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
tain... ahh, wont even bother

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Yea this wasn't predictable based on the beta at all.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
welp, having bought the game at launch i'm sure this will entitle me to certain benefits when the game inevitably goes free to play

just like tera and rift and aion and lotr

can anyone figure out why ffxi and ffxiv and wow are still drawing dinero?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

welp, having bought the game at launch i'm sure this will entitle me to certain benefits when the game inevitably goes free to play

I was looking for a quote from the devs just now where they said "We would NEVER go F2P" but then I realized that wasn't the Wildstar devs but tht TESO ones.

No idea who is worse off in that case.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

And so another MMO has fallen on this sinking ship of a genre.

They're merging everyone into a single server at this time, and it seems most days nobody can do end game content because there are not even enough players to even start the attunement.

repost the absurdly long list of requirement for attunement tyia

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

matrix ripoff posted:

lol

(i preordered the deluxe version of the game and was sick of it before the beta period ended. score one for wildstar, i guess)

if you got sick of it before beta ended why did you keep the preorder you clown

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

matrix ripoff posted:

FF14's actually kind of fun and is good for an MMO. Which still isn't good overall but I guess it's not too bad as a thing to do while you're in a chatroom. It also doesn't require you to have huge coordinated groups of people to do endgame content.

WoW and FF11 just have inertia at this point I'm pretty sure

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoubleDonut posted:

WoW and FF11 just have inertia at this point I'm pretty sure

What do you mean by this?

WoW is supposedly down to under 5 million users IIRC.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wow only more than 4 million users, how will anyone at Blizzard feed their family

And I mean that people have been playing them long enough that there's a lot of people where that's just what they do when they have nothing better to do. Why bother moving your guild and all your e-buddies to a new MMO when you're just going to do the same poo poo? You put five thousand hours into WoW and I doubt any MMO means anything at all to you anymore as an actual game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

still over 4x what any other MMO would consider successful

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoubleDonut posted:

And I mean that people have been playing them long enough that there's a lot of people where that's just what they do when they have nothing better to do. Why bother moving your guild and all your e-buddies to a new MMO when you're just going to do the same poo poo? You put five thousand hours into WoW and I doubt any MMO means anything at all to you anymore as an actual game.

oh I see.

I'm curious to see if WOD brings the number back up to 10 million like a few have said, but with a 90 dollar CE and a 50 dollar digital edition+ the 15 bucks a month I don't see it happening.

Not only that but leveling means nothing anymore.

Dec 26, 2012

zen death robot posted:

The only thing I know about this game is that Sinking Ship was quite excited for it

im glad its dead then

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
archeage was pretty fun in beta.

Also lol if you claim you're not buying Warlords of Draenor you lying bastards

e: none of that has anything to do with wildstar but I bring only truths

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
huh game looked kinda cool from trailers besides the fact it was an mmo what happened?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i played wildstar and got to level 50 but i wanted to tank as a warrior and the developers didn;t want me to do that. it wasn't a bad game, i thought the combat was cool, but a lot of the content (the most important part) wasn't good. some of the dungeons had a cyoa vibe but the different routes were horribly unbalanced and others were just extremely loving long and uninteresting. the attunement poo poo was dumb but i think people overstated how bad it was because a good chunk of the attunement was getting medals on the dungeons and adventures which you would be doing anyway during gearing up.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Mr. Crow posted:

huh game looked kinda cool from trailers besides the fact it was an mmo what happened?

40 man raids in the year of our lord 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

stoutfish posted:

40 man raids in the year of our lord 2014

lol

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i can't wait until all mmos are free so i can continue to not play them for free

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lol if you play mmos. literally not a single good mmo in existence

Dec 26, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

i can't wait until all mmos are free so i can continue to not play them for free

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Overbite posted:

if you got sick of it before beta ended why did you keep the preorder you clown

i preordered from green man gaming and they didn't honor the whole "if you hate the beta you getcher money back" thing

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lol if you preorder games. hey let me pay like 1000 dollars for this sweet game before its out or anyone knows if its good so i can get a pre-order exclusive digital dildo oh wait the game is poo poo and i suck dildos irl

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Counterpoint: RuneScape, human being.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Cobweb Heart posted:

Counterpoint: RuneScape, human being.

gently caress i gotta hand in my gamer badge

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mega servers: YES
FREE realm transfers: DOPE
MANDATORY surnames: …oh.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

oh I see.

I'm curious to see if WOD brings the number back up to 10 million like a few have said, but with a 90 dollar CE and a 50 dollar digital edition+ the 15 bucks a month I don't see it happening.

Not only that but leveling means nothing anymore.

if that's what you are curious about i will save your precious few brain cells by saying no it won't. if getting back to 10 million subscribers is your metric for success you are a big dummy. blizzard has pretty much said they're aware that subscription waxes and wanes with new content and they want to keep the billions rolling in by increasing the frequency of new content generation. of course they fell flat on their faces with the delay of wod because project titan was a millstone they had tied around their collective necks and integrating its staff into wow actually slowed down production which is pretty fucken epic lolz.

also when you have 100 levels then what used to be the 1-60 experience pretty much has to be negligible as progress gets longer so yeah sorry that looking for mankrik's wife or whatever doesn't mean anything but only nostalgia-blinded nerds care about that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Axel Serenity posted:

Also lol if you claim you're not buying Warlords of Draenor you lying bastards

It's like the Simpsons, it's a shadow of it's former self and the spark has died.

It's hard to watch, and I feel pain each time I read up about the design decisions they've made.

Release Warcraft 4, set the franchise free.

and fire the gently caress who wrote the Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 stories because they were awful. Like for all the complaints about mass Effect 3's ending, people should have raised a bigger shitstorm over that.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I played FF14 a little because it was like $8 over the summer. I played a big angry-looking dude and punched monsters to death. It was a little repetitive though and I couldn't figure out how to fish, so I probably won't try it again. That's my MMO story, thansk for reading

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am shocked by this news that an MMO is failing.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Hey Tera is okay if you like Monster Hunter, and being basically Monster Hunter makes it automatically better than every other MMO.

vvvv I'd rather just continue to ignore that that race exists.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 4, 2014

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

chumbler posted:

I am shocked by this news that an MMO is failing.

Hey Tera is okay if you like Monster Hunter, and being basically Monster Hunter makes it automatically better than every other MMO.

tera is okay if you're a pedophile

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Scratch-O posted:

I played FF14 a little because it was like $8 over the summer. I played a big angry-looking dude and punched monsters to death. It was a little repetitive though and I couldn't figure out how to fish, so I probably won't try it again. That's my MMO story, thansk for reading

ff14 in it's current state is pretty good but mmos get boring super fast to me nowadays so oh well

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
the only races in Tera that aren't loving dumb as hell are the giant rock monks and the tiny pug dog people.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i briefly wanted to make a big rock monk named Rook but then i looked at the other races and also remembered it was an mmo to boot

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Who could have possibly predicted that a game designed to cater to the super-hardcore with numerous systems that were intentionally designed to be as regressive and tedious as possible to match MMO design circa 2006 would have hemorrhaged all its subscribers within one months?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Asimo posted:

Who could have possibly predicted that a game designed to cater to the super-hardcore with numerous systems that were intentionally designed to be as regressive and tedious as possible to match MMO design circa 2006 would have hemorrhaged all its subscribers within one months?

Not whoever invested in it, apparently.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Barudak posted:

Not whoever invested in it, apparently.

the people that actually wanted that poo poo were super loving loud about it and the people that didn't were ambivalent

I'm not surprised they overestimated demand for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i liked dungeons and dragons online, as the game played significantly differently from war of worldcraft

• Locked thread