Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Arannis chooses a likely target from the back of the crowd, and is rewarded with a gruff "piss off" as the dragonborn turns back into the increasingly-agitated mob. They are pressing in to try and peer through whatever space between the wedged carts still exists, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever is happening beyond. Over their shouts and rabblery, you can hear snarls from the other side of the carts - clearly bestial in origin - and what sounds like a loud whipcrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Vorovka “Vorya” Lichkov

"It sounds bad, whatever it is," she replies offhandedly. Never one to miss an opportunity that fate and the gods have laid out in front of her, she makes her own faux-effort to "press" into the crowd, using the distraction of whatever spectacle is ahead to tease a purse or two away from anyone too careless to notice.

Let's be a dick.
Picking a pocket: 1d20+17 36

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Solarus Rex

Solarus watches Vorovka browse the crowd's private possessions without comment. The very definition of petty theft, really, but if it amused her... He shrugs luxuriously and turns his attention to the wagons. Whatever simple beasts lay beyond would be but a momentary impediment, of course. But how to reach it through the roaring crowd? He ponders for an infinitesimal fraction of a second before deciding on a course of action.

Solarus flicks his hands out to either side and closes his eyes, inhaling deeply, letting his already vast mind expand into the infinite arcanery. Even the slightest brush against that great mystery sent electric thrills running through his consciousness, supreme sensations that he would never tire of. He had spent lifetimes in the space of a single breath immersed in that endless dream of magic, and yet every time he would experience something dizzyingly new. What pitiful and hollow lives must the mundane lead in the absence of magic...

He explores for what feels like an hour before he finds what he's looking for, plucking the spell from its nestling place and tucking it away in a corner of his mind. The thought of spending more time meditating briefly crosses his mind, but he dismisses it. There would be time enough for all things later.

He opens his eyes and exhales, feeling dull reality assert itself. The return was always draining. But that electric charge of the arcane still sat at the base of his neck, crackling and spending sparks of power up his spine and into his teeth.

Casting Battlefield Elocution as a memorized ritual, paying two surges to do so in five rounds. Arcana: 1d20+25 42 Casting time reduced by 60%, reducing it to two rounds.

For one hour Solarus speaks with a voice as loud as thunder, loud enough that all creatures within 100 squares (with a dc 0 perception check) can hear him. He can choose not to exercise this effect. It can be transferred to a willing ally with a touch and a minor action.

Solarus smiles a satisfied smile, feeling his vocal chords swell with authority. He faces the crowd and utters a single word that echoes like thunder.

"MOVE."

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Hahaha okay this is cool enough that I am gonna have to do a little bit of reconfiguring. Bear with me!

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Sound should not echo in this space, cramped and low as it is, but Solarus’ proclamation echoes nonetheless. The crowd is not startled, per se, but stops in its tracks, slowly turning towards Solarus even as Vorya slips amongst them, relieving a few unlucky souls of their purses. In stunned silence, the pack of onlookers begins shuffling back through the tunnel and off into the side branches, leaving your group standing alone, faced with a wall of carts.

You start to approach, but it seems the voice of thunder has agitated whatever lies beyond, and the implacable bestial noises have now reached a fever pitch, along with the shouting - now intelligible as a man’s voice yelling “See? SEE?!”

And then, all at once, the carts blocking the tunnel begin moving, rapidly, towards you. They scrape the stone floor for a moment before being lifted clear into the air and careening towards your group like varicoloured boulders, tumbling end over end, launched by some massive force. You manage to throw yourselves to the cold stone floor just as they sail over your heads and crash with a deafening screech to the ground once more, the tinkling of broken glass betraying the unpleasant fate of their contents. You register this only dimly in the background, however - a more preoccupying scene lies ahead. Amid the carnage and debris, you immediately take note of three things.

The first: some sort of massive brain, hovering several feet off the ground. A gnarled mass of tentacles dangles below the brain, and it is using them to hoist the corpse of a city guard towards a commensurately massive beak, which it digs hungrily into the soldier's midsection. The second: a hulking, chitinous monster, similarly devouring a city guard using a pair of colossal, sharp mandibles, compound eyes twinkling dimly in the glowlight of the tunnel. And finally, a muscular hobgoblin, covered in scars and clearly unhinged, screaming furiously. "You SEE?! THIS. IS WHAT HAPPENS. WITH YOUR TAXES! AND YOUR LICENSES!! AND YOUR BRIBES! DO YOU SEEEEE?!" He turns towards you, drawing behind him a long, spiked lash. "And what's this? MORE TOADIES OF THE MOGUL, OUT FOR THEIR CUT. AAAAAA!"

Solarus Initiative: 1d20+8 25
Vory Initiative: 1d20+12 17
Arannis Initiative: 1d20+9 22
Cognate Initiative: 1d20+11 26
Hamari Initiative: 1d20+10 15
Grell Philosopher Initiative: 1d20+10 24
Umber Hulk Initiative: 1d20+11 14
Crazed Ringmaster Initiative: 1d20+12 29

The ringmaster delays until before the grell (I forgot to Dropbox my Map :blush:) so Cognate and Solarus are first to go!

[pre]
26: Cognate
25: Solarus

24: Crazed Ringmaster AC 27 Fort 26 Ref 25 Will 25
24: Grell Philosopher AC 25 Fort 21 Ref 24 Will 23
22: Arannis
17: Vorovka
15: Hamari
14: Umber Hulk AC 28 Fort 25 Ref 23 Will 22

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Solarus Rex

"Hahahahaha!" Solarus' booming laugh sets the foundations of the world to shaking. Arcane energies crackle into existence over his palms, the power of the magic lifting his feet from the floor. "I care little who you are, and nor does it matter, for you will shortly be forgotten." He can feel the raw power pumping through his nervous system, setting his whole body alight with glorious sensation. He's tempted, as he is every time, to simply let go and let it run free through his body. Would that fraction of a second of true enlightenment be worth the certain death that was to follow? He danced with doom at the edge of every spell.

Solarus exerts his will, subjugating the spell as a animal trainer would tame a lion, drawing the magic from his body to concentrate in the palm of his hand. The energies above his palm coalesced into a purple orb so bright that it was painful to look at for all but Solarus. "Experience true annihilation. Bitter Sphere of Forbiddance!" He feels the magic rush from his body in a torrent as he hurls the orb towards his unfortunate foes. The floating brain, not having any actual eyes, is only mildly afflicted; his companions are not so lucky as the light sears away their eyeballs. Solarus doesn't hesitate to sweep forward and press his advantage. Now what was he facing...?

Free: Tome of Readiness! Swap prepared Encounter power (Arc Lightning) for Prismatic Burst!
Standard: Cast Prismatic Burst to detonate in a burst 2 at K5, hitting all three: Prismatic Burst vs Will: 3#1d20+17 27 21 26 3d6+12 24 radiant damage to Crazed Ringmaster and Umber Hulk, and they are blinded UEONT! Grell Philosopher takes no damage but treats all creatures as being partially concealed UEONT!
Move: to G2.
Free: Monster Knowledge Check on Grell Philosopher: Dungeoneering: 1d20+17 18 recall no pertinent information. (I assumed he was an aberration and rolled dungeoneering. if Arcana is the appropriate roll then there's all kinds of fun stuff I can do instead).

pre:
Solarus Rex							
HP: 71/71 (THP: )	AC:   28	Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 05/07 (V: 17)	For:  22	Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +8		Ref:  28	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6		Will: 27	Second Wind: [ ]	
Vision: Normal

Powers

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Winged Horde            [ ] Fire Shroud                 [ ] Ritual Master
Freezing Burst          [ ] Fire Sea Travel
Thunderwave             [ ] Blackening Pyre
                        [x] Arc Lightning
                        [ ] Shield
                        [ ] Knowledge Blast
                        [ ] Argent Rain

Spellbook

Daily Spells			Encounter Utilities			Daily Utilities
[ ] Watery Sphere               [ ] Arcane Insight                      [ ] Fire Shield
[ ] Fountain of Flame           [ ] Charm of Protection                 [ ] Mass Resistance
[ ] Phantom Chasm               [ ] Repelling Shield
[ ] Scattering Shock            [ ] Force Ladder
[ ] Fire Mantle
[ ] Fireball
[ ] Wall of Fire
[ ] Ice Storm
[ ] Melf's Minute Meteors

Tome of Readiness:

[x] Prismatic Burst

Reserve Maneuver:

[ ] Frostburn

Item Powers:

[-] Versatile Spellbook (At-Will, Free, After Rest)

[ ] Corellon's Boon of Arcane Might (Daily, Free)
[ ] Deck of Spells +3 (Daily, Free)
[ ] Mnemonic Staff (Daily, Minor)

Melee Basic Attack (Mnemonic Staff +3): 1d20+13 vs AC; 1d8+3 damage

Conditionals:
Tome of Readiness: 1/encounter as free action, expend unused encounter power to use Prismatic Burst
Improved Tome of Readiness: 1/encounter as free action, expend daily or utility power to use stored power (chosen at rest)
Reserve Maneuver: After rest, choose to gain use of Frostburn instead of regaining use of other encounter power
Arcane Familiar: Tome Caddy: +2 bonus to Arcana and Dungeoneering; can wield tome without occupying hands
Tome Expertise: Non-fear immune enemies adjacent to summoned creatures or conjurations grant CA
Staff Expertise: Ranged or area spells with staff do not provoke OAs
Enlarge Spell: Take -2 penalty to each damage die of spell to increase burst or blast by 1
Mnemonic Staff: Gain +2 to any monster knowledge skill check

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

It is indeed an aberration. The umber hulk is a natural beast (Nature check).

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Cognate

Cognate strides forward, sword raised in a high guard before her. She sweeps it from side to side, indicating the enemies standing before her, and then slashes in a wide arc. A spectral knight appears on each side of her, rushing forward and crashing into the floating beast and the enormous hulk. Cognate grins fiercely, sword and shield raised as she steps into the suddenly vacated space. "By the power of my forgotten order, you shall not succeed! Your vile goals of, er," she says, stumbling slightly, "tax protest shall not come to pass!"

Minor: Use Virtue to spend a surge and gain 25 THP. Cognate also gains 4 DR until the start of her next turn (Virtuous Recovery).
Move: To I5.
Standard: Using Strength of Ten (close burst 3) from J4 to L6. Targets go top-left to bottom-right, Grell/Ringmaster/Umber Hulk.
Strength of Ten vs Fortitude: 3#1d20+19 23 20 20 2d8+8 21
Strength of Ten vs Fortitude: 1d20+19 34
Not a... great result. Used a Guidance of the Past reroll against the Umber Hulk to see if I can actually land a drat attack, which I think technically has to be declared beforehand but there are tons of things to keep track of so I did it anyway, I'll be better about it in the future.. The Grell and Umber Hulk get hit, if I can push the Umber Hulk into L6/M7 through that small barrier I do so, otherwise it stays put. Grell gets pushed to K4 and Cognate shifts to K5.

The Grell and Hulk take 21 damage, are Marked by Divine Sanction (-2 to attack other players w/o including me, take 11 damage as punishment). They also get -5 to attack me (Imperious Majesty) and Cognate gains a +2 item bonus to AC against them (Bloodiron). And I think that covers it!

pre:
Immediate Actions:
*When an ally hits within 5sq hits with a melee attack, the ally can spend a healing surge (Benediction).
*When an adjacent enemy hits me, make a melee basic attack against that enemy (Strikebacks).

Cognate
HP:	103/103(THP:25) AC:   31	Passive Insight: 28
Surges: 12/13 (V:25)    For:  26	Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +11   	Ref:  24 	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	        Will: 27    
Melee Basic Attack: 	1d20+19; 1d8+8 (+1 attack on OAs, +1 attack vs. bloodied)
Mark Punishment: 	11 damage first time each round their attack doesn't include me

Encounter            			Daily              	At Will
[ ]Second Wind          [ ]Benediction 		[ ]Radiant Delirium     [-]Ardent Strike
[X]Guidance of the Past	[X]Virtue		[ ]Name of Might	[-]Enfeebling Strike
[ ]Paladin's Wrath      [ ]Divine Mettle	[ ]Ray of Reprisal	[-]Divine Challenge
[ ]Valorous Smite       [ ]Strikebacks (item)	[ ]Wrath of the Gods
[ ]Castigating Smite    [ ]Battle Standard (itm)[ ]Quester's Discipline
[X]Strength of Ten				[ ][ ][ ][ ]Lay on Hands
[ ]Astral Thunder				[ ]Guardian's Whistle (item)

Misc:
* +2 AC versus enemies I hit until the end of my next turn.	* +1 to attacks vs. bloodied targets
* When an enemy marked by me hits me, gain 4 THP. 		* Resist 11 Fire
* +2 to Will vs. Charm, Fear and Illusion effects.
* When I spend an action point, make a save with a +2 bonus and can use Guidance of the Past even if it's already been expended.
* When I hit an enemy that has not acted in an encounter, it takes -5 to attack rolls vs. me until the end of my next turn.
* When I spend a healing surge, gain 4 resist/all until the start of my next turn.
* Can make save at start of turn vs. dazed/stunned, even if effect would not normally grant a save.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

You seize the opportunity to engage the menagerie before they strike at you. Solarus dazzles the hostile pack, though it seems to not disorient the hulk or the grell overmuch. Then Cognate gets in the thick of it, driving the beetle-like creature back. The ringmaster, clearly driven even further past his breaking point by the blinding blast of colourful light, screams a wordless scream and rushes Cognate. The umber hulk takes this as a signal to attack and rushes the paladin as well. Cognate is too busy raising a shield against the hulk to dodge the ringmaster's spiked lash, but she scarcely notices the barbs. The ringmaster barks a command, and the grell floats back slightly, then blasts towards Cognate with a crackling bolt of electrokinetic lightning - though the forking blast goes wide and impacts the tunnel wall.

Ringmaster Standard: Charge Cognate (-5 for total concealment) Ringmaster Spiked Chain vs. Cognate AC: 1d20+18-5+1 32 4d4+5 10 damage
Ringmaster Free: Circus Footwork, free shift to K5
Grell Immediate Reaction: Ringmaster's Command, free shift to K3 when the ringmaster shifts
Umber Hulk Immediate Reaction: Ringmaster's Onslaught, charge Cognate as an immediate reaction Umber Hulk Claw vs. Cognate AC: 1d20+17-5-2 17 3d6+10 22 miss

Grell Standard: Grell Philosopher Lightning Lance vs. Cognate Reflex: 1d20+14-5 10 2d6+3 7 missssss

pre:
26: Cognate
25: Solarus
24: Crazed Ringmaster     AC 27 Fort 26 Ref 25 Will 25     24 damage
---- blinded UEONT Solarus
24: Grell Philosopher     AC 25 Fort 21 Ref 24 Will 23     21 damage
---- treats enemies as concealed UEONT Solarus
---- divine sanction
---- -5 attack vs. Cognate UEONT
22: Arannis
17: Vorovka
15: Hamari
14: Umber Hulk            AC 28 Fort 25 Ref 23 Will 22     45 damage
---- blinded UEONT Solarus
---- divine sanction
---- -5 attack vs. Cognate UEONT

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Arannis Anvilhammer

"Really, you're so worked up over taxes? You're putting that poor... Well what IS that? Never mind! Cognate, incoming!" Drawing a small vial from one of his many pockets, Arannis fastballs it into the back of Cognate's armor, shattering the glass and spreading a small amount of neon blue liquid on her armor, which then causes all of it to glow slightly. Moving for a better angle Arannis draws his crossbow and fires off a shot at the enraged circus tamer, while with a word lightly empowering the weapons of his nearby allies.

Free: Use Resistive Formula on Cognate
-Cognate gains a +1 AC power bonus, and can end the effect as a free action to gain 28 THP and grant 28 THP to an ally with 5 squares.
Move: Walk to D,5
Minor: Draw Superior Crossbow
Standard: Use Magic Weapon on Ringmaster
-Magic Weapon vs AC (@Ringmaster): 1d20+20 33 1d10+8 17 Ringmaster takes 17 damage and Vorovka and Hamari gain +1 to hit and +4 damage until the end of my next turn.
Knowledge Check: Nature: 1d20+10 19

pre:
Immediate Actions:
*If an enemy bloodies an ally use Healer's Momentum (Attack that enemy; Ally can spend a surge and two allies within 5 gain their surge value as THP)
*If an enemy hits an ally use Shocking Feedback (Attack that enemy; if it hits Ally gets Resist 5 All until end of my next turn)
*If an enemy enters a square next to me use Trip the Trap. (Attack that enemy; deals 8 damage and dazes them if hits.)
*I can only do one of these a round, so the first one negates the other triggers.

Arannis Anvilhammer
HP:     95/95 (THP: )    AC:   27    Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 10/10 (V:25)     For:  26    Passive Perception: 28
Initiative: +9   	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	         Will: 25    
Vision: Low-Light
Melee Basic Attack: (Battlefist): 1d20+11 vs AC; 1d8+2 damage

Encounter                   Daily                     At Will
[ ]Second Wind              [ ]Punishing Eye          [-]Magic Weapon
[ ]Trip the Trap            [ ]Smokepowder Blast      [-]Thundering Armor
[ ]Shocking Feedback        [ ]Healer's Momentum      [-]Mage Hand
[ ]Battlefist Smash         [ ]Regeneration Infusion  [-]Deep-Pocket Cloak (Item)
[ ]Vampiric Weapons         [ ]Dancing Shield
[ ]Positive Energy Infusion [ ]Self Repair
[ ][-]Healing Infusion      [ ]Shadowy Figurine
[ ]Fey Step                 [ ]Breaching Armor (Item)
                            [ ]Kamesti Crossbow {Item}

Conditionals:
Distant Advantage: Flanked Enemies grant CA to me
Eladrin Will: +5 to saves against Charm effects
Supporting Construction: +2 to saves against ongoing damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Hamari

Hamari steps out from behind the rubble. "Sure, here you are hanging out with this evil brain squid thing and slaughtering guards, but we're the bad guys. I don't think so, buddy." She lunges toward the hobgoblin, slamming her gauntleted fist into his gut. As he staggers back, she swings her other arm around, grabs his head in the palm of her hand, and shoves him back toward Cognate. Before he can right himself, she has his arms pinned to his sides in a crushing bear hug. "Feel like putting the whip down and making some sense? Or is this gonna have to be a spectacle?"

Move: Walk to J4.
Standard: Bash and Pinion. Melee attack vs. AC: target Ringmaster[+CA] (36, hit). Ringo takes 19 damage. I slide him to J5, and mark and grab him UEoMNT. While he's grabbed, he takes -4 to attack rolls.
Minor: Be cool.

Immediate Actions:
If anyone hurts Solarus or Vorovka, use Warding Advance (shifting somewhere that's still next to Ringo).
If Ringo actually manages to break my grab and shifts, Combat Challenge to whack him.
If the grell or the hulk hit me with a melee ranged attack, Body Shield targeting Ringo.

pre:
Hamari Seir
HP:     98/98 (THP: )    AC:   29    Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 9/9 (V:24)       For:  31    Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +10   	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 8   	         Will: 23    
Vision: Normal           Resist: 11 acid, 9 necrotic
Saving Throws: +2 (poison; weakened; slowed; immobilized)
Melee Basic Attack: 1d20+19 vs AC; 1d10+11 damage
Strength Check to Grab: 1d20+19 vs Ref

Encounter                   Daily                     At Will
[ ]Second Wind              [ ]Driving Attack         [-]Grappling Strike
[X]Bash and Pinion          [ ]Bare-Knuckled Rebuke   [-]Cleave
[ ]Slamming Rush            [ ]Pitiless Grapple       [-]Combat Challenge
[ ]Bash and Pummel          [ ]Rending Spines         [-]Combat Agility
[ ]Righteous Prohibition    [ ]Mountainfall Ki Focus  [-]Acrobat Boots
[ ]Vicious Assault          
[ ]Razor Storm              
[ ]Dauntless Endurance      
[ ]Body Shield
[ ]Warding Advance

Abilities:
Barbed Body: When I escape from a grab on my turn or a creature escapes my
grab, it takes 2+ half my level (8) damage.
Combat Challenge: Mark enemies I attack UEoMNT.
Reaver (5): When I reduce a nonminion enemy below 1 HP, gain +1 to melee attack rolls UEoMNT.
Reaver (10): When I crit or use Vicious Assault, gain 10 THP.
Exacting Action: When I spend an action point, choose one creature within 5 squares that I 
can see. Pull that creature up to 5 squares.
Heaven’s Chains: Immobilized enemies grant CA to me. When I hit an enemy with a melee or ranged 
daily attack power and deal damage to it, I can reduce that damage by 10 to immobilize the target UEoMNT.
Inescapable Hold: When an enemy escapes my grab, it must make its check against my Fortitude even
if it uses Acrobatics.
Crushing Pin: When an enemy fails to escape my grab, it takes Dex (4) damage.
Mountainfall Ki Focus: +4 item bonus to damage rolls against prone or immobilized targets.
Ebon Armor: When an adjacent enemy dies, gain 6 THP.
Goliath's Belt: +2 item bonus to Strength checks to grab or bull rush. I can grab or bull rush 
targets up to 2 size categories larger than me.
Grizzly Gauntlets: +3 item bonus to Strength checks to grab and to Athletics or Acrobatics checks
to escape a grab.
Edit: Added Arannis' Magic Weapon bonus.

Wol fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 3, 2014

• Locked thread