Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Mazu Ikate: M:(11/11)E:0; S:(13/11)E:1; I(12/11)E:0; XP:0

Flex skill for today: Persuasion

Aboard a Ghanic ship, there's nothing more suspicious than perfect operation. No offense to Ghan's shipbuilders, but even with the refinement over the years, the fleet was still a bunch of ancient, half-understood tech lashed to beat-up sailboats and trimarans built by hand in wooden drydocks. So when a floating junk sculpture isn't sputtering smoke or groaning like a frilled baul, there's probably something really wrong.

Mazu's still pacing, sun glinting off the shiny skin of her work suit, when the ship decides to violently list. She instinctively catches herself on a rail and digs her heels to keep from being thrown to the deck as it lurches. When it settles a bit, Mazu's gaze shoots up towards her traveling companion.

"Susan! Are you hurt?" Without waiting for a reply, she pulls the crankbow off her back, and gripping it tightly, peers over the side to see what they've hit— Or what hit them.

quote:

Mazu Ikate
Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might 11/0
Speed 13/1
Intellect 12/0

Skills

-trained in all tasks involving swimming, fishing, or fighting in water.
-trained in all tasks involving boats or watercraft of any kind.
-trained in navigating by the stars. At night, the difficulty of any task involving navigation or map reading is decreased by one step.
-Flex Skill:At the beginning of each day, choose one task (other than attacks or defense) on which you will concentrate. For the rest of that day, you’re trained in that task. You can’t use this ability with a skill you’re already trained in to become specialized.
-trained in lockpicking, the numenera, and any task that involves sabotaging an object. (From Sabotage)
-trained in identifying the function of any kind of device. (From Master identifier)
-Woodworking
-Metalworking

Inability

Something about dry land makes you feel slightly off kilter. The difficulty of all Speed-related tasks on dry land is increased by one step.

Abilities
-Practiced with Light and Medium weapons
-Pierce (1 Speed)
-Sabotage
-Master identifier

Cyphers
2/2

-Access Glasses. Anoetic. Level: 6. Wearable: Goggles plus gloves or rings. Effect: The user can see through up to half an inch of solid material and can pass his hands and anything his hands are holding through that solid matter. Once the area to be looked and passed through is chosen—about 18 inches by 18 inches (46 cm by 46 cm)—a new area cannot be chosen. However, the effect lasts for an hour.
-Goss. Anoetic. Level: 4. Usable: A small, moist tongue. Effect: To activate the cypher, the user must place it under her tongue and then speak for up to one minute. The device records everything she says. At the end of this time, she can place it anywhere she chooses. For the next day, the device repeats whatever she said in her voice and tone to anyone who moves within 10 feet (3 m) of it. Once the device repeats the recording, it makes no further noise until another creature approaches, at which point it begins the speech all over again. When the effect ends, the device breaks up into chunks of foul-smelling filth.

Oddities
3/3

-A small sphere nested within a cube, but the cube exists out of phase and cannot be touched.
-A black box from which issue faint calls of “Hello?”
-an egg-shaped, turquoise opal that always smells of sea salt. When held in the right palm, the narrow end points the way to the nearest shore. When held in the left, it points the way toward the nearest fresh water.

Equipment

-Clothing: Sun-bleached tank top and boat shorts printed with ocean designs and Ghanic script, synth sandals
-Light armor: Ghanic work suit
-Forearm blade
-Crank crossbow
-Explorer's pack
-2 bags of light tools
-Woodworking tools
-Metalworking tools
-Handmade fishing pole
-8 shins

Contacts

Captain Yo-won Silla
Discovering Mazu's talent and determination at a young age, Captain Silla's fondness for the girl was key in Mazu's quick rise through the fleet ranks. Years later, the two are still good friends, Mazu spending much of her time at sea aboard Silla's ship Aldous. Though her sponsorship of Mazu's captain rank hasn't proved fruitful, Silla is hopeful, and will help Mazu achieve her goal however she can.

Connections
Ghanic: I need money to purchase my own ship and prove I can captain in the fleet.
Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano. I wasn't able to follow her path, but the numenera is not unknown to me.
Crafts Unique Objects: Susan has a ritual drum I crafted for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Mazu Ikate: M:(11/11)E:0; S:(13/11)E:1; I(12/11)E:0; XP:0

Engines? Well poo poo, guess something had to give eventually. Still, Mazu could almost fix engines with her eyes closed. The repair shouldn't take long if the captain lets her.

Haystack posted:

"Friend, is this normal? Regardless, I think I'm going to go below decks, and see what there is to see. The men of this ship know the spirits here better than I do, even if they cannot speak to them... but sometimes a word from a stranger is better than a thousand gestures from a friend. Best to be well placed, I think."

Mazu flashes Susan a toothy smile to help alleviate her fears. "A Ghanic vessel that isn't falling apart at the welds is bad luck, Susan. But we've broken down in good seas, and the Zoadont are surfacing starboard today. The ancestors send their blessings from the Tùngfā. Still, you're right about going below. Come on."

Mazu grabs the tool bag she left sitting on the deck earlier and makes her way over to the yelling captain.

"Sawat, Captain Sask," she yells back. "Something's gone off below, sounds like!" Once she's close, Mazu swings the bag over one shoulder and informally salutes Sask. "If you'd allow it, sir, I'd like to head down there with my companion and figure out why we've gone drifmai."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Just realized my stat formatting was hosed up and showing my pool maxes wrong. Sorry about that!

Mazu Ikate
M:(11/11)E:0; S:(13/13)E:1; I(12/12)E:0; XP:0

Mazu had gone flat against the hull at the notule swarm's sudden escape, and now slowly removes herself from the wall and approaches the engine room with her arm blade at the ready.

"Know what caused the stop at least," she says grimly, glancing down at Jimma's body. She bows deeply over him and makes a silent prayer with her hands brought together. Once done, she looks to the damaged engines and groans.

"Yetāmai, those little bastards wrecked this thing! I think they're all gone, at least. Susan, watch my back if you would? I'm gonna head in."

Mazu hefts her bags and approaches the engines carefully. She wasn't going to let a pack of vermin stop her goal now. Something feels a bit off, though— The panels are burst from the inside. Where the hell did Sask haul this thing up from again?

Fixing the engine: 1d20 18
Trained with Numenera, and if it counts, any tasks involving boats.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Mazu Ikate

Dodging: 1d20 14

It's close, but Mazu manages to leap out of the way just in time. The bolt is cut short by the far wall, and once she;'s sure she isn't going to get fried, Mazu climbs to her feet and returns to properly fix the engine.

"If there's one thing universal about numenera," she says as she begins loosening some bolts, "is that it's got a temper."

Later...

Mazu had seemed fine when she bid the captain farewell and set off with Susan, but by the time they're on the beach she's already looking a bit off from being on land. She'd been at sea even before she boarded the Monstra Viam, and by her count it'd been a good month and a week on the water. In short, Mazu currently has the physical faculties of a fish in the desert.

"Ugh, my legs feel like noodle nam giao." Mazu's hunched over slightly, head dropped like she's been stricken with some disease. "I don't see how you do this so often, Susan."

A ways up the path she notices the other group, and her strength seems to return with a huge grin. She raises one of her arms high in the air and calls out, "Sawaati ka, stone throwers!"

After the friendly Ghanic insult, Mazu hurries Susan towards the group and gives one of the customary greetings of Ghan— A touch of the forehead with two fingers before ringing her palms together at her chest and bowing her head.

"The land's curse upon me must be worse than I thought. Charus Loryn, the cheshire ghost! Been many season since you've graced the Fleet with your troupe." She scans over the others, and gives a small nod specifically to Paschal. "The Nạmāyāku. I imagine dark energies have infested this poor city, and you've come at a moderate price to cleanse it?" Mazu snickers. "I'm joking. Good to see you haven't been burned and stuffed in a jar yet." She looks to the others and smiles. "I'm not familiar with you folks, but a pleasure to meet you. Mazu Ikate, engineer and technical advisor to the Sea Kingdom of Ghan and her FLeet. I wish you good winds and hot meals."

Something about Eater's robes makes Mazu step back a bit and give a deeper bow. She says something short in Ghanic, though the words don't lend much for translation.

"So, what brings you all to the coast? I'd bet a good piece of shin on it being the Old City."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Sorry about my absence, will be back very soon. See here for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Mazu Ikate

Mazu grins widely at Kula's introduction and thumps her chest with a fist. "Aye, the calling strums deep in my marrow. I've been like a Malik dragged upon deck since we made port." She laughs and gives the same short bow she gave before. "Sawaati kaa, Kula. Mazu Ikate, engineer and technical adviser to the Fleet of Ghan. I'm sure your rituals are just as worthy as Ghan's."

Mazu steps closer to the fire to watch Charus lead the song, and her eyes slowly close as a smile grows across her face. At the end she sighs lightly and looks out towards the setting sun. "Ancestors, send us your blessings, so we may brave the storms that face us ahead."

She waits for the reply to Susan's question by warming her hands on the fire. She tries to ignore the smell of grilling meat the best she can.

• Locked thread