Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I've been stuck in the Pacific Northwest too long, not having left a six state/one province area since 2005. I have put off travel because it can be so expensive, but I realized that the Amtrak rail pass seems to be a good way to see the country.

How it works (based on the information on the Amtrak site) is that for 450, 650 or 850 dollars, you can get a 15, 30 or 45 day Amtrak pass. The other limitation is that you are limited to 8, 12 and 18 segments, respectively. A "segment" is any time you get off and on the train. So, going from, say, New York to Philadelphia uses up a segment, just like going from Chicago to Los Angeles. The pass is also only for coach seats, and the pass doesn't mean the traveler can just hop on a train, they still need to get get tickets (and sometimes need to get them ahead of time).

This sounds like a pretty good bargain to me, and from what I have read so far, it seems to be pretty free of sneakery or fuckery. But I did want to know if anyone had any experience with this, and whether there was any pitfalls that I haven't read about. Also, just anyone with experience of long distance train travel would be nice, I've had overnight trips on Amtrak, but nothing beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread